America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,756 comments
Trumpism, man.

I had to look this one up because it seemed like you were proposing a sarcastic hypothetical.

Amazing. They're also getting rid of weddings and they're talking about getting rid of Thanksgiving.

Classic Trump. I'm sure this is technically (almost) true. There is probably a special, and complex, mask that you can eat through that can be obtained in california. And that some people think this makes you safe from germs. And I'm sure that you're not supposed to take it off.

Something like this maybe.

The part that's not true is the implication - which is that this is first of all a california thing (like... government mandated?), that somehow californians as a unit collectively have endorsed this complex mask as something that keeps you safe. It's always us vs. them with Trump. And this is just trying to make himself look smart by creating a strawman california and punching it. To be clear, the part that's not true is the whole point of bringing it up.

Classic trump misinformation and manipulation.

Last edited:
I don't quite know why, but that thing skeeves me out. Has since I first saw it. I was pretty sure that's what was on the other end of the link and I clicked it anyway.

*shudder*

It's always us vs. them with Trump.
It's all he has.

That he's a whiny little bitch is no longer even remotely surprising, but I'm kind of astonished by how much of his base are as well.

Ben Heck made a couple, but he doesn't live in California.

I'm pretty sure science has gone too far.

OYdehBaSaihFDFdBKkgovtpY6CwRJuRZ_cG6h4Z6XSklOSkGkIlsq5q6IYsgOPnZ5SX1sam1IMxqu3J1GTuNVzyNp0Q2jPHDBleRCRk2

Last edited:
American politics in general are always about saying why the other guy is worse, instead of having an agenda of your own. All these ads I see every election is about that. Ok, maybe not all but 95%. I haven’t lived in this country long enough to say for sure, so to those who have I have a question - has this ever been any different?

American politics in general are always about saying why the other guy is worse, instead of having an agenda of your own. All these ads I see every election is about that. Ok, maybe not all but 95%. I haven’t lived in this country long enough to say for sure, so to those who have I have a question - has this ever been any different?

I mean.... yes? But no, not really.

It has been different in that the rhetoric was toned down a lot, the arguments were generally more civil, and there used to be some level of respect. But I remember mud slinging political campaigns from as far back as I can remember political campaigns.

While you've got me musing on this, I do wonder whether there is something of human nature in this. It might be easier to find a "dealbreaker" for someone than it is to find a "has to have" motivator. So, for example, I remember an attack ad on Bush Jr. when he was running for governor of Texas that included information about him getting a DUI. I think that the idea there was that voters would consider a DUI a dealbreaker and would refuse to vote for him. It didn't work, obviously, but I can see how it might have.

I mean.... yes? But no, not really.

It has been different in that the rhetoric was toned down a lot, the arguments were generally more civil, and there used to be some level of respect. But I remember mud slinging political campaigns from as far back as I can remember political campaigns.

While you've got me musing on this, I do wonder whether there is something of human nature in this. It might be easier to find a "dealbreaker" for someone than it is to find a "has to have" motivator. So, for example, I remember an attack ad on Bush Jr. when he was running for governor of Texas that included information about him getting a DUI. I think that the idea there was that voters would consider a DUI a dealbreaker and would refuse to vote for him. It didn't work, obviously, but I can see how it might have.
If there were political ad campaigns from the early 1800s to look at, we'd probably be amazed at how "mud slinging" has evolved.

Being an informed voter requires much more effort than being an outraged one. Most politicians thus opt for the easier road - activate the outrage. Make one allusion to Soviet-era Communism, and sit back and laugh while your voters start hollering nonstop about Biden being the second coming of Lenin, no matter how divorced from reality that view might be.

4TJ2E4OSYNELTE5FU332RVKSDE.jpg

Either Cleveland fathered a child out of wedlock, or it was rumored. Either way, this is an ancient mud-slinging political attack.

I recall reading about one that charged that Lincoln's wife Mary Todd was a prostitute.

These days the president would respond by saying that this is criminal and that these people should be prosecuted. Biden doesn't even have to do any mud slinging, the outrage is caused by Trump's own Twitter account.

Being an informed voter requires much more effort than being an outraged one. Most politicians thus opt for the easier road - activate the outrage. Make one allusion to Soviet-era Communism, and sit back and laugh while your voters start hollering nonstop about Biden being the second coming of Lenin, no matter how divorced from reality that view might be.
Pitting old brain against young brain.

4TJ2E4OSYNELTE5FU332RVKSDE.jpg

Either Cleveland fathered a child out of wedlock, or it was rumored. Either way, this is an ancient mud-slinging political attack.
I wonder who ran this...or rather for whom this was run. My money's on Harrison.

Grover Cleveland, the 22nd and 24th president, is the only to serve two non-consecutive terms. Cleveland won the popular vote as incumbent in a close race against Benjamin Harrison, who took the Electoral College nod and office as result.

These days the president would respond by saying that this is criminal and that these people should be prosecuted. Biden doesn't even have to do any mud slinging, the outrage is caused by Trump's own Twitter account.
Biden also knows Trump is running against the last four years.

Grover Cleveland, the 22nd and 24th president, is the only to serve two non-consecutive terms. Cleveland won the popular vote as incumbent in a close race against Benjamin Harrison, who took the Electoral College nod and office as result.
Also why the answer to the question for how many men have been POTUS, is 44, not 45.

It amazes me how normalized "if you don't like it, leave" has become. It popped up in this very thread not too long ago. It's a total non-argument; a cop out.
Unless you're foreign, in which case it's "if you don't like it, come here and then leave".

Holy crap you guys are strung tight. Nevermind I said anything. I'm not in disagreement with anything that you guys have said about Trump, just thought it would be fun to have some fun with this thread. Guess not. The only thing I strongly disagree with is:

Minimum wage is only a way to make labor illegal. My team's situation is such that we work for the experience of working. Nobody does the job to eek out a "living wage". But if you make it illegal to pay us what we're willing to work for, then that opportunity disappears for us.

It actually should be like that. That was the point, with the Feds there only to support a military and deal with other foreign countries that weren't in the cool club. Instead of pushing for human rights across the board, it's probably actually cheaper these days to just pick up and move out of Woman-hating Alabama to have total control of your uterus, or to get out of Commiefornia so you can roll coal and have extra diesel money. You can still have your friends via Zoom.

Instead of pushing for human rights across the board?!?! Seriously?? Pushing for human rights is a bad thing?? Yeah let's just forget about trying to make sure people get rights and just give up and move instead.

This is one trick he learned from his supporters. Recall recent diatribes here against "California-ing my Georgia."

It amazes me how normalized "if you don't like it, leave" has become. It popped up in this very thread not too long ago. It's a total non-argument; a cop out.

I've lived in Alabama for all of my 55 years and let me make something perfectly clear PLEASE COME CALIFORNIA MY ALABAMA!!!!!! I'm begging you. Come California my Alabama, New York my Alabama, something because what's been down here for the 55 years of my life has totally ****ed everything up.

We keep hearing about how conservatives wold really like to get back to how it was in the 50's, but down here it's the 1850's they want to go back to. Can we just get you knuckle draggers at least up into the 20th century then we'll work on getting you into the 21st century. You can't make public policy solely based on whether or not "if it's a'gin the good book" or "what would dear little lord baby jebus" say about it.

The state slogan of Alabama should be "Alabama, first alphabetically, dead last in everything else".

And no @Omnis just picking up and moving is not the thing to do. You stay and fight and try to make where you live a better place FOR EVERYBODY not just the Jesus loving homophobic racist women haters that live here.

Instead of pushing for human rights across the board?!?! Seriously?? Pushing for human rights is a bad thing?? Yeah let's just forget about trying to make sure people get rights and just give up and move instead.

I've lived in Alabama for all of my 55 years and let me make something perfectly clear PLEASE COME CALIFORNIA MY ALABAMA!!!!!! I'm begging you. Come California my Alabama, New York my Alabama, something because what's been down here for the 55 years of my life has totally ****ed everything up.

We keep hearing about how conservatives wold really like to get back to how it was in the 50's, but down here it's the 1850's they want to go back to. Can we just get you knuckle draggers at least up into the 20th century then we'll work on getting you into the 21st century. You can't make public policy solely based on whether or not "if it's a'gin the good book" or "what would dear little lord baby jebus" say about it.

The state slogan of Alabama should be "Alabama, first alphabetically, dead last in everything else".

And no @Omnis just picking up and moving is not the thing to do. You stay and fight and try to make where you live a better place FOR EVERYBODY not just the Jesus loving homophobic racist women haters that live here.

I thought the correct response was "thank God for Mississippi"?

Confused Brit here. Is this something to do with them not having an NFL team? :confused:

The University of Alabama has a really good college football team (NCAA, SEC conference) called the Crimson Tide. Since college football is incredibly dumb in how it ranks teams, it's hard to say if they're the best ever, but they're certainly one of the best teams in the last 10 years.

Latest Posts

Back