Ancient History, Ancient Mystery

• Thread starter Dotini
  • 186 comments
I have been watching this series for awhile now.

I have always found ancient egypt to be interesting and the begginings of abrahamic faiths interesting also

This covers if it is possible that an egyption was really moses .

This covers if it is possible that an egyption was really moses .

Moses was very likely an Egyptian by birth as well as in the upbringing attributed to him in the folk tradition, so it's equally very likely that an Egyptian was really Moses. He's basically a water god later demoted to prophet.

Interesting to watch.

I stopped at "The Incas could not have built the Brarrnze Age structures because they were a Brarrnze age people, and the stone that was cut and shaped was much harder than brarrnze". Those kind of research limitations are what (fortunately) kills most pseudo-science very early.

In fact we know that Bronze Age people did cut stone and numerous researchers have found ways to do it using contemporary methods. Protzen has done a lot of work and quarried/cut/dressed stones using tools from the archaeological record.

We know the structures were built, we know from dating the record around construction and installation when they were built (the video's comments about weathering are bollocks) and we know what kinds of tools were used then and today. The real question is why people put effort into these videos instead of proper research, perhaps even having a go themselves.

I stopped at "The Incas could not have built the Brarrnze Age structures because they were a Brarrnze age people, and the stone that was cut and shaped was much harder than brarrnze". Those kind of research limitations are what (fortunately) kills most pseudo-science very early.

In fact we know that Bronze Age people did cut stone and numerous researchers have found ways to do it using contemporary methods. Protzen has done a lot of work and quarried/cut/dressed stones using tools from the archaeological record.

We know the structures were built, we know from dating the record around construction and installation when they were built (the video's comments about weathering are bollocks) and we know what kinds of tools were used then and today. The real question is why people put effort into these videos instead of proper research, perhaps even having a go themselves.
Oh man, don't burst my bubble. I love believing aliens or a very high evolved human race build every ancient building. It is exciting.

Circular saw (indicates 5 meter diameter) and drill hole tool marks in basalt, granite and diorite indicate feed rates that might seem surprising for the copper tool technology.

Various sites in the Old World and South America

upload_2019-3-31_4-49-26.jpeg

[URL='https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ancient-wisdom.com%2FImages%2Fcountries%2FAmerican%2520pics%2FPumapunkamasonry.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ancient-wisdom.com%2Fextremasonry.htm&docid=7xKHSm1b0THVMM&tbnid=LyNwFLqefkua4M%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjHk7TRpqzhAhVWjp4KHUHSDNYQMwhzKCYwJg..i&w=595&h=395&client=safari&bih=1274&biw=1649&q=megalithic%20stone%20cutting%20tool%20marks&ved=0ahUKEwjHk7TRpqzhAhVWjp4KHUHSDNYQMwhzKCYwJg&iact=mrc&uact=8']

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...qzhAhVWjp4KHUHSDNYQMwh0KCcwJw&iact=mrc&uact=8

[/URL]

[URL='https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F-KiSr31IKAHQ%2FVAt6Imxyb-I%2FAAAAAAAACwQ%2FpuQ3k6-Ncgw%2Fs1600%2FIMGP5125.JPG&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Funchartedruins.blogspot.com%2F2014%2F09%2Fthe-vitrified-ruins-of-ancient-peru.html&docid=Q4ACvAEYI3diUM&tbnid=VseQfS_LZ1mPKM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjHk7TRpqzhAhVWjp4KHUHSDNYQMwhFKAUwBQ..i&w=1600&h=1062&client=safari&bih=1274&biw=1649&q=megalithic%20stone%20cutting%20tool%20marks&ved=0ahUKEwjHk7TRpqzhAhVWjp4KHUHSDNYQMwhFKAUwBQ&iact=mrc&uact=8']

[/URL]

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...qzhAhVWjp4KHUHSDNYQMwhFKAUwBQ&iact=mrc&uact=8
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...qzhAhVWjp4KHUHSDNYQMwhRKBEwEQ&iact=mrc&uact=8
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...qzhAhVWjp4KHUHSDNYQMwhrKB4wHg&iact=mrc&uact=8

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-31_4-50-26.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-31_4-50-26.jpeg
    8.6 KB · Views: 17
Circular saw (indicates 5 meter diameter) and drill hole tool marks in basalt, granite and diorite indicate feed rates that might seem surprising for the copper tool technology.

Surprising, but do-able. The trend for pseudo-scientists to imagine something impossible to answer "we can't imagine how that would be possible" (in the face of evidence that it clearly was possible) isn't going to go away easily, but we can do our bit :D

The Egyptian Drill and the Origin of the Crank

Ancient Egyptian Stone Drilling

Im not sold we know how it was done

With a little bit of research we someone disputing prof jean protzens theory .

For me to believe his theory of he knows how it was all done , he should be able to supply video evidence of the work being to the accuracy that the work is done .

I think brian foerster is more on the right track .

That is my opinion .

Last edited:
They drilled thousands of holes, some of enormous size - up at least 18" in diameter, and used for removal of large quantities of granite. They probably traded with the Indus Valley civilization for copper alloys, and developed mills, lathes and giant circular saws, many meters in diameter. This technology was prevalent during the Old Kingdom, but all use and knowledge of it were lost, and was unknown to more recent dynasties, and is lost to archeological and written records. Similar holes and giant precision stone sawing are found in Lebanon, Bolivia (elevation ~4000m!), and probably elsewhere, but the records are even murkier.

So you are right, we don't really know how it was done.

http://www.theglobaleducationproject.org/egypt/articles/stonetech.php

Last edited:
The Ancient Romans Built Seismic Invisibility Cloaks for Amphitheaters

There are many theories as to why structures built by ancient Romans lasted so long, with many still standing today. One popular idea is that the Romans mastered the art of fine concrete (opus caementicium) which seems to have achieved its durability from the addition of volcanic ash. However, that same volcanic ash points to a vulnerability that even the toughest walls eventually give way to – seismic waves caused by volcanoes and earthquakes. A new study proposes that Roman engineers may have mastered the science of structural invisibility, making their buildings transparent to these destructive waves. Is it true? Can humans — at least very rich Silicon Valley humans fearful of the San Andreas fault – get one too?

“Indeed, we finally point out the striking similarity between an invisibility cloak design and the architecture of some ancient megastructures as antique Gallo-Roman theaters and amphitheatres.”

colosseum-526244_640-640x426.jpg

In “Role of nanophotonics in the birth of seismic megastructures,” published last week on the arXiv preprint server, co-author Stéphane Brûlé tells how he first noticed that aerial photographs of the foundation of a Roman amphitheater in Autun (originally Augustodunum) showed the theater pillars lined up almost exactly with a series of concentric semicircles that get closer to one another as they get closer to the actual structure. He recognized this as the same design as electromagnetic invisibility cloaks and proved it by superimposing the photo of one over the foundation. Brûlé knew about this design because he had used it himself a few years before in an experiment where a lattice of holes was drilled into the soil around a structure in the same pattern deflected seismic waves and protected the structure behind it. That “Eureka!” moment was now deflected by his new finding – the Romans figured this out 2,000 years ago!

Further research showed that the foundation of the Colesseum in Rome, the largest free-standing and enclosed amphitheater, was surrounded by the same design of concentric ovals with the same ratios of distance between them. Other large amphitheaters showed the same cloaking design – amphitheaters that, like the Colesseum, are fully or partially standing centuries after being built in high volcanic and earthquake areas.

rome-1026260_640-640x395.jpg

While the Romans protected the largest structures of their time with seismic invisibility cloaks, Brûlé has only managed to create small models. Sébastien Guenneau, another co-author, is hoping to build one with an outer diameter of at least 20 meters (65 feet). While impressed with the Roman design, Brûlé’s not ready to give them full credit, saying in an interview in Physics World that they may have just been “lucky.”

Brûlé sees a future where buildings and entire cities in high earthquake areas will use this ancient foundation design. Moreover, he thinks it can be modified to not just deflect or diffuse the seismic waves but capture them and utilize the energy. That will be some time in the future, which is ironic since the design is over 2,000 yeas old and proven effective.

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2019...eismic-invisibility-cloaks-for-amphitheaters/

Role of nanophotonics in the birth of seismic megastructures
Stéphane Brûlé, Stefan Enoch, Sébastien Guenneau
(Submitted on 9 Apr 2019)
The discovery of photonic crystals thirty years ago, in conjunction with research advances in plasmonics and metamaterials, has inspired the concept of decameter scale metasurfaces, coined seismic metamaterials, for an enhanced control of surface (Love and Rayleigh) and bulk (shear and pressure) elastodynamic waves. The powerful mathematical tools of coordinate transforms, effective medium and Floquet-Bloch theories, which have revolutionized nanophotonics, can be translated in the language of civil engineering and geophysics. Experiments on seismic metamaterials made of buried elements in the soil demonstrate that the fore mentioned tools make possible a novel description of complex phenomena of soil-structure interaction during a seismic disturbance. But the concepts are already moving to more futuristic concepts and the same notions developed for structured soils are now used to examine the effects of buildings viewed as above surface resonators in megastructures such as metacities. But this perspective of the future should not make us forget the heritage of the ancient peoples. Indeed, we finally point out the striking similarity between an invisibility cloak design and the architecture of some ancient megastructures as antique Gallo-Roman theaters and amphitheatres.
https://arxiv.org/abs/1904.05323

Seismic invisibility cloak huh? I mean, I can't tell if the writer is doing some bad click bait writing or if they are that inept at English.
It would be neat though, if the Roman's managed to build their structures to resist earthquakes.

Once you go through the clickbait bollocks to the actual paper it's really interesting :)

However, we know that Roman concrete was incredibly durable and that a lot of what they learned was through their own (and Greek) trial-and-error. It also makes sense that only the most earthquake-proof buildings last 2,000 years so it's reasonable to suppose that some of the original architects would be surprised to find how long their original structures were able to last. I utterly refute the clickbait idea that the Romans somehow actively, knowingly employed invisibility-cloak technology to enhance their buildings :D

Once you go through the clickbait bollocks to the actual paper it's really interesting :)

However, we know that Roman concrete was incredibly durable and that a lot of what they learned was through their own (and Greek) trial-and-error. It also makes sense that only the most earthquake-proof buildings last 2,000 years so it's reasonable to suppose that some of the original architects would be surprised to find how long their original structures were able to last. I utterly refute the clickbait idea that the Romans somehow actively, knowingly employed invisibility-cloak technology to enhance their buildings :D
Well, to be fair, the term "invisibility cloak design and architecture of some ancient megastructures..." was part of the original physics paper, and the poor reporter merely passed it along to us. So are the geophysicists clickbaiters?

Last edited:
Posting this for @Dotini, I thought he might be interested in a bit of proper medieval building, and I thought this was too boring for the general God Thread.

This is the chancel arch of a church in Goodmanham, East Yorkshire, where I made a pre-survey visit yesterday. The region was Norman (Duchy of Aumale) when this church was built, although it seems that the families of Saxon theigns retained some power through both Godwinsson's deposing and the Harrying of the North. The arch was constructed as part of the original 'new' structure in c.1120, the deformation you see almost certainly happened in the first 100 years of the building's existence: the 'upgrades' of c.1210 repair and reinforce the collapsing arch. Some of the voussoir stone from the rear of the arch was used to patch up the external stone work and the South Door. The hole on the left of the picture is the "squint", probably cut in during the early 1300s during the Bishopric of Melton, it allowed the second order of priests to see what was going on in the chancel - this was back in the day when the ornery folk would never ever see what happened in the consecrated chancel. The arch is typical Norman Romanesque of the early 1100s with hints of Early English. Some of the stone may be of Saxon origin although it's impossible to attribute this to any previous temple, and in any case it's believed the Wotanic temple was wooden.

Anyway... the reason I thought Dotini would be interested is that the altar stands on (or very near) a site that's believed to have been one of Northumberland's* most holy sites, one that was seemingly already well established in culture and history when the Venerable Bede described its fall. To my mind sites like this demonstrate the gradual first-millenium crossover of religion from polydeistic characterisation of environmental phenomenon to what we now understand as mono-deistic Christianity. Sources suggest that the venerated rood (originally a tree/log, later used to describe the holy cross) that stood at the site was destroyed on the orders of Coifi, a priest of Woden who became miraculously (politically?) converted during the 7th century, perhaps spurred by the conversion of King Edwin. It's interesting that Edwin seemed to believe that he was God's representative on Earth, a theme that marks out king/queenship since that time. Writings of the time suggest that the Wotanic gods were thought to walk the Earth in their own right, not within royal hosts.

He burnt down the temple and altars that stood on the site which "he himself hath consecrated". Given that the local area has been settled for several thousand years there's nothing to say that venerated altars were not in use there long before the Saxons brought Wotan (or Odin, if you prefer the parallel Norse evolution),

So there you are (if anyone's interested :) ), a Wotanic altar site that goes back to Saxon settlement, and possibly long before, later thoroughly assimilated into christianity.

GoodmanhamChancelArchAndSquint.jpg

Northumberland is now much smaller than it was - the term originally referred to everything north of the very silty Humber Estuary (Umber: brown) to the Forth, and westwards to the Isle of Man.

Yes, an interesting post. Keep them up!

Conquerors almost always built their holy buildings upon the previous culture's holiest sites. I think this is seen the world around, an attempt to subsume the worship of the natives.

A refined interpretation of pillar 43, the "Vulture Stone". I think it's good, but I'm not convinced about the 3 "handbags" across the top.

100% related to this are the Younger Dryas extinction and cataclysm events. These occurred, but the cause is still not fully known. They suggest a comet impact, but lack the crater. Hiawatha it could be. But another cause could be the micro-nova or outburst event of our own Sun. But either way, it's cosmic in nature.

Last edited:
A refined interpretation of pillar 43, the "Vulture Stone". I think it's good, but I'm not convinced about the 3 "handbags" across the top.

I found it too much to watch for the most part, but the interpretation that the 'handbags' represent the carrying of the sun across the sky would chime with what we know of other civilisations using contextual knowledge to explain its passage. That's an almost literal passage in the case of some Egyptian civilisations.

I found it too much to watch for the most part..

Too bad. So it's back to entertainment and identity politics for you.

IMHO, the overarching point to grapple with is that there was a global cataclysm at the Younger Dryas. We should understand what happened as best we can. It happened, it can happen again.

First off, grabbing the timestamps right at the point of his "give me money" sales pitch makes no one want to listen to more than 2 seconds of the video. Further, you could just accept the fact that this guy just sucks at reading his cue cards and that also makes it hard to listen too. He doesnt have a very natural cadence. Just because he can avoid "ummm" doesnt make him a good speaker. It also doesnt require a pointless ad hominem either.

That said, did you happen to see that Dan Ackroyd was just on the JRE podcast? I think you might like that one Dot. Lots of alien talk.

That said, did you happen to see that Dan Ackroyd was just on the JRE podcast? I think you might like that one Dot. Lots of alien talk.
I'm just finishing it up now, thanks to your suggestion. Yes, they talk lot about UFOs and paranormal experiences. Of course, there is zero evidence of aliens. Even though it is the leading hypothesis for UFOs, particularly the Navy Tic Tac, Gimbal and Go-Fast incidents, I think there is a much better hypothesis.

A long video considering tool marks on an old Egyptian drill core currently in a British museum.

A long video considering tool marks on an old Egyptian drill core currently in a British museum.

I mean... if this guy can make a drill out of a couple sticks, stone and some cord, I dont get why these people are fussing over some holes drilled in some ruins by people who likely had some slightly more sophisticated tools at hand.

Back