Any news on Gran Turismo 8?

• Thread starter digitalic
  • 202 comments
All he said was he had a theme and I kinda feel like that was PR talk.

“Actually, there is a theme,” he said. “I'm starting to run towards the next one, but I can't tell you yet. It's a pity that I can't talk much.”

Just like how Rockstar was "working on" GTA 6 until that online money started rolling in.
Having a theme and working on it is part of development. That’s how development goes...you need a theme which is the core of a game. From there you build out the story, gameplay, features, content etc. GT8 is (and has been) in development, as a I’ve been saying. Kaz has acknowledged this. Unless you’re crowdfunded, you usually don’t want to publicly give out any specific details early in development. As to how far they’ve actually gotten is anyone’s guess except those in the know (PD and SIE employees), but it’s definitely in development unless Kaz is lying and SIE leadership have gotten lazy/careless.

You claimed “GT8 aint even a twinkle in PD eyes yet.”, which turned out to be completely false as it has been acknowledged by Kaz months ago that it is in development, however early in development or progress has been made doesn’t matter.

You seem to be confusing your pessimism and personal assumptions as facts. It’s very, very foolish to assume that PD has been doing nothing but working on these little monthly updates for GT7 since it’s launch.

Ill give you that, it is a twinkle in his eye. That's about it. It also be just as foolish to believe everything you read on the internet is absolute fact. If we're going to get that technical then we can say GT9 is also in development. There so many different levels to "in development" that some of them are just talk. How many times have we seen games get stuck in "development" only to find out that "development" was just the devs talking about it?

Ill give you that, it is a twinkle in his eye. That's about it. It also be just as foolish to believe everything you read on the internet is absolute fact. If we're going to get that technical then we can say GT9 is also in development. There so many different levels to "in development" that some of them are just talk. How many times have we seen games get stuck in "development" only to find out that "development" was just the devs talking about it?
Well, no, GT8 is more than a twinkle in Kaz’s eye if they’ve already got the theme and are doing some work with it, that’s development.
Yes, it is foolish to believe everything you read on the internet as if it were fact, but I don’t. It is not foolish to believe a creator/designer when he says his next game is in development, especially given how the industry typically works with major titles, even moreso with ones historically so significant to a consoles success. Though this doesn’t necessarily mean he can’t be lying, because he could be, it just seems very, very doubtful at this point GT8 isn’t already in progress.

No, we can’t say GT9 is in development just because GT8 is, that’s not how it works.

Yes, there are different levels of development. Talking about potential ideas or hopes for a game isn’t really what most consider actual development, though it could be argued that it is, especially if those involved are getting paid specifically to discuss their ideas for the game in an official setting and create the core or foundation, but generally not part of actual development if that’s all you’re doing is casually brainstorming or talking about ideas in an unofficial setting.

Basically, there is no real Gran Turismo since PS3. GT Sport was a disappointment, GT7, the biggest disappointment.

Should have been a return to the origins. Instead it proved to be incomplete, full of shortcomings and a true single player mode.
Who knows how could be GT8 for PS6.....another uncomplete mess of a game? What happened to PD ?

Last edited:
Interesting thought experiment, but I don't think a theoretical PS8 will be launching with GT8... If it somehow did, I doubt the Emulatiors available will be any good at the game's launch. So no you wouldn't be able to play it on PC when it launches.
It's just my cynical view of Sony ... the PC release would be pitched for real high end spec machines coupled with flagship spec racing wheel rigs to unlock the full potential of the title for the most serious of 'professional' racers ... and even possibly pitched as an industrial grade simulation tool for real racing teams.

The Playstation HW is simply a gateway for the mainstream audience to get on Gran Turismo 8 which is besieged with delays due to over-ambition and colossal pressure to shift the title offering into other areas of the digital/online entertainment sectors ... by the time this is nearer reality the PS8
would have been launched ...

It took Rockstar Games over 10 years to release a trailer for the NEXT GTA title ... so I wouldnt put it past Sony/PD taking equally as long ...

Last edited:
Hope pd improve gt7 a bit more with Sophy improvements and 24 hr racing against Sophy. Sophy on all tracks and in custom races. A set list of maybe 50 or 100 races against Sophy.

Vr replays where you can sit in the passenger seat would be cool, and the back seat.

More vr showrooms please because they are very good.

So they need to focus a bit more on gt7, but I guess they could be at the drawing board for gran turismo 8, thinking up ideas.

Talking about potential ideas or hopes for a game isn’t really what most consider actual development, though it could be argued that it is, especially if those involved are getting paid specifically to discuss their ideas for the game in an official setting and create the core or foundation, but generally not part of actual development if that’s all you’re doing is casually brainstorming or talking about ideas in an unofficial setting.
You're absolutely right. That's more a pre-development conception stage. Though a pedant can argue that you're "developing" ideas for the game, actual development usually starts with implementing those ideas and plans into actual code/game assets.

Last edited:
The GT8 (or GT Sport 2) will be released for the PS5. The question is not if, it's when. My guess is it will be in the second half of 2025.

Why? Some reasons:

1. GT7 is a game built on the PS4 hardware, it is basically the GT Sport retreaded, wrapped in aesthetic adornments, or GT Sport was a prologue version of the GT7. For commercial and technical reasons, PD needs to explore the full potential of the PS5 with new graphics, tools and environmental elements.

2. The name "Gran Turismo 7", at some point, will lose its commercial appeal. GT7 isn't exactly a GAAS game. Sony still makes more money selling units. Therefore, even if the next GT game is a "remastered" GT7, the "NEW GAME" of the franchise, "8" or "Sport 2", will have much more commercial appeal than monthly or periodic updates.

3. The GT7 update pace has radically slowed down this year. Traditionally in the franchise, when an update is called Spec 2.0, in theory, the game has exceeded half of its useful life. This suggests that the GT7 is on its final route.

4. Kaz has already signaled that the GT8 is in production. I think few people were surprised by this information. Generally, the development of successor games begins to be produced soon after the launch of the predecessor. The surprise was that Kaz published this information in the first year of GT7.

5. GT7's racing car roster is very outdated, it's basically the same roster as GT Sport. Most of these cars were produced in the last decade between the GT6 and GT Sport. It is very likely that within the time window of GT Sport and GT7, PD will have produced many cars to be released in the new GT game.

Some point out that GT games have always taken more than five years to be released. The GT6 took just three years.

It is important to highlight that, before the launch of GT Sport, in 2017, Kaz said that all GT Sport cars would be scanned from scratch, in 8K, so that they would be reused for many years. The process is cumulative. It won't be work from scratch.

So, PD needs to explore the full potential of the PS5 before they start focusing on the PS6. We will still have the PS5 Pro launched in 2024.

I have another guess. The next game will be “Sport 2”, perhaps that's why GT7 receives few racing cars in its updates. Considering the thesis that the game will be called "Sport 2", the next GT could receive fictional versions of the Gr.2 cars, the much-desired modern GTE and GT3 cars, the new LMDh and LMH hypercars and new versions of Gr.4 cars, perhaps the TCR ones that have not yet debuted in the franchise.

Last edited:
A threat about guessing when GT8 might come seems pretty dull. A thread about what we would recommend PD as QoL improvements (not cars and such for christ sake!) would be mire interesting, i think. Like: more than one favorite list of cars in the garage would help.

1. GT7 is a game built on the PS4 hardware, it is basically the GT Sport retreaded, wrapped in aesthetic adornments, or GT Sport was a prologue version of the GT7. For commercial and technical reasons, PD needs to explore the full potential of the PS5 with new graphics, tools and environmental elements.
GT7 is very different internally to GT Sport. It is very different and required major work to put the game together with the implied intention of making it easier to use going forwards.

I don't see a scenario where the underpinings of GT7 get ditched after a single game. The game engine is not holding GT7 back on the PS5. Put it that way.

I agree with some of your other points, but the other one you might be off on is the car roster. Of course a new game will always bring some new cars, some of which will be newer models. But we won't see a vast number of new cars. The problem is, at current levels of detail, they simply take a long time to make.

Last edited:
Basically, there is no real Gran Turismo since PS3. GT Sport was a disappointment, GT7, the biggest disappointment.

Should have been a return to the origins. Instead it proved to be incomplete, full of shortcomings and a true single player mode.
Who knows how could be GT8 for PS6.....another uncomplete mess of a game? What happened to PD ?
Finally somebody speaks out!!!
I am saying this since the release of GT7...
GT7 has lots of missing piecies that made it unique!

If they need to release another version to better support fanatec(and other wheels), so be it. From the dd pro settings page on the fanatec boards it can be surmised that fanatec has punted on the dd pro 5-8nm, due to Sony (pd)’s decisions, over the past year. The revelation that the magic of the newer logitech wheel and the buttkicker tech run off of the games audio, rather than in game telemetry was shocking. That Sony(pd) does not output grip feedback to pedals such as the v3, also shocking, especially given how good the controller vibrations are. I’m not sure why Sony (pd) made their choices about supporting the Fanatec SDK, or not, but if gt8 means that gets fixed, it can release tomorrow as far as i’m concerned.

My money is on us getting some kind of paid DLC once the PS5 pro drops next year. Me also thinks this when that elusive missing difficulty 🌶️ will unmask itself. I’m thinking that last difficulty level will be a mixture of Sophy and cranked up 🌶️ AI

The GT8 (or GT Sport 2) will be released for the PS5. The question is not if, it's when. My guess is it will be in the second half of 2025.

Why? Some reasons:

2. The name "Gran Turismo 7", at some point, will lose its commercial appeal. GT7 isn't exactly a GAAS game. Sony still makes more money selling units. Therefore, even if the next GT game is a "remastered" GT7, the "NEW GAME" of the franchise, "8" or "Sport 2", will have much more commercial appeal than monthly or periodic updates.

3. The GT7 update pace has radically slowed down this year. Traditionally in the franchise, when an update is called Spec 2.0, in theory, the game has exceeded half of its useful life. This suggests that the GT7 is on its final route.

4. Kaz has already signaled that the GT8 is in production. I think few people were surprised by this information. Generally, the development of successor games begins to be produced soon after the launch of the predecessor. The surprise was that Kaz published this information in the first year of GT7.

5. GT7's racing car roster is very outdated, it's basically the same roster as GT Sport. Most of these cars were produced in the last decade between the GT6 and GT Sport. It is very likely that within the time window of GT Sport and GT7, PD will have produced many cars to be released in the new GT game.

Some point out that GT games have always taken more than five years to be released. The GT6 took just three years.

It is important to highlight that, before the launch of GT Sport, in 2017, Kaz said that all GT Sport cars would be scanned from scratch, in 8K, so that they would be reused for many years. The process is cumulative. It won't be work from scratch.

So, PD needs to explore the full potential of the PS5 before they start focusing on the PS6. We will still have the PS5 Pro launched in 2024.

I have another guess. The next game will be “Sport 2”, perhaps that's why GT7 receives few racing cars in its updates. Considering the thesis that the game will be called "Sport 2", the next GT could receive fictional versions of the Gr.2 cars, the much-desired modern GTE and GT3 cars, the new LMDh and LMH hypercars and new versions of Gr.4 cars, perhaps the TCR ones that have not yet debuted in the franchise.
As much as I would love for PD to explore the full technological capabilities of the PS5, I wasn't really impressed with GT7's graphics, like at all. The excessive use of that god awful white light shining right into my retinas... come on! I somehow think GT8 won't look so much like a step up from GT7.. and that saddens me. GT7 also looks quite boring to me now. But then again I played GT Sport for hundreds of hours so my opinion will be biased.

I think gt8 Will proably get announced in summer 2025, released in eaither 2026 or 2027, as for gt7 i think it get a decent amount of updates next year to slowing down in 2025, i hope things like single player will take advantage of sophy with qualifying, as for visuals i dont see a major jump as gt7 already looks really good
but i can see they make better use of vr and more detailed enviroments maybe, but the cars can not look much better than they already does gt7,

Finally somebody speaks out!!!
I am saying this since the release of GT7...
GT7 has lots of missing piecies that made it unique!
Where you been? Lots of people have been saying this since the game came out. GT7 feels unfinished.

Maybe the reason GT7 feels unfinished is because Kaz is working on GT8, where have a Super Licence actually means something

so around 2027 it seems from the timeline. This is when PS6 might appear also, GT8 would be a strong selling point.
If the PS6 comes out at the end of 2027, which makes sense, because the PS5 came out at the end of 2020, I don't believe that the GT8 will come out at the same time, because that would imply that PD would have a PS6 kit, in order to start develop the game.
Nowadays, a game like Gran Turismo or Forza takes at least 4-5 years, because we are increasingly demanding about the quality of games.
But if GT8 it's cross-gen the scenario is different.

Last edited:
2010 - GT5
2013 - GT6
2017 - GT Sport
2022 - GT7

Notice how the gaps have been getting bigger in recent years.
yes , i doubt that GT8 will come anytime soon than after 5 years min , unless suprise GT Sport 2 or something :dopey:

Last edited:
I can see gt8 release late 2025 specially now when we already see updates slowing down, but all depends on how the updates release this year, if we see only like 3-4 cars per 2 months its most likely already shift more focus on to gt8

I can see gt8 release late 2025 specially now when we already see updates slowing down, but all depends on how the updates release this year, if we see only like 3-4 cars per 2 months its most likely already shift more focus on to gt8
Yeah, 2025 sound right, but not later than 2026. I think

If the PS6 comes out at the end of 2027, which makes sense, because the PS5 came out at the end of 2020, I don't believe that the GT8 will come out at the same time, because that would imply that PD would have a PS6 kit, in order to start develop the game.
Nowadays, a game like Gran Turismo or Forza takes at least 4-5 years, because we are increasingly demanding about the quality of games.
But if GT8 it's cross-gen the scenario is different.
PD is owned by SIE/PlayStation Studios so they have all the most current information and specs Sony is planning on putting into the next console. Given this, there is lots they can do “ahead of time” especially when you consider they’ll port over or leverage lots of work already in, or will be in GT7. PD would be among the very first to know what and when any changes to PS6 plans occur so they can adjust accordingly if needed, so it is possible it could be ready for a PS6 launch.

It’s very unlikely GT8 releases before PS6 as it is kind of a given it’s being made to be played on that console and will almost certainly take advantage of whatever more powerful hardware and new features it may come with. That’s not to say it can’t be cross-gen. I’d be very surprised if GT8 wasn’t cross-gen.

Having said that, I wouldn’t necessarily expect GT8 to be a launch title for PS6, though it could be, I’d expect it to be come a bit later, but definitely within the first year unless something crazy happens.

There is some kind of a rumor/leak on the internet right now with some new games from Sony being ported to PC. GT7 is there.

If this will be true then this could be a sign of GT8 being much much further away from now then some people expected.

By releasing GT7 on PC they will probably focus on updates for both consoles and PC game. I hope it will be true and PC will get great port more people to play then better :)

At this point, why would anyone need GT8? Another half prepared crap game?

GT7 is so under utilized and under developed, there's no reason for GT8 to become a reality.

Why simply because we want a gt game that are not holdback by ps4, and sophy ai fully integreted, gt8 will become reality whatever you like it or not, gt7 as its core and what it does well, its good game, where it lacks is in single player department and some way needs a better progression, but gt7 is far from alone in this faith, fm is even worse despite taking 1,5 years longer, new test drive solar crown will be worst of them all with full pvp,

If you dont want to buy the next gt game dont, nobody is forced to do so

Back