Assetto Corsa in VRPC 

• Thread starter r3b3ld3
  • 464 comments
Yes I agree. The crystal isn't the perfect headset but imo there wont be anything better until the 5090/6090 GPU's come out.
My 4090 can't maintain 90fps without using foveated rendering with the crystal with very high settings in Assetto Corsa and we know how old the game is .
I'd imagine Assetto Corsa Evo will probably be even harder to run in VR.
The future 4k per eye headsets are gonna look amazing but you gonna have to use a NASA pc to run them .

I came from a G2 to the Crystal. Also getting 90 fps with good visuals on a 4090. Had to set the render resolution to 0.65 to get
decent performance with rain and at night thanks to rich64. Using Open XR , Pimax XR , open composite, Openxr tool kit.

Any Reverb G2 users in here?
I recently got a second-hand G2 but am struggling to get a stable experience in AC.
The framerate is fine, I can run 40+ car races at full resolution at solid 90fps with my i9-13900KF/4080 combo, and the headset doesn't crash during races.
The problem is the headset WILL often crash with a frozen screen between races, when I take it off to navigate AC menus. It seems it'll crash when trying to switch from AC to Steam Home, often needing a full PC reboot before it'll work again.
Also, and possibly related, the initial boot sequence seems very flaky, with SteamVR (or Steam itself) not loading along with the WMR portal. Even manually loading Steam and Steam VR first doesn't always help.
I tried the Opencomposite runtime switcher and OpenXR Toolkit as detailed in the pinned guide on the shaders patch Discord, but this led to AC (not G2) crashes DURING races, and needed a return to Steam VR and a reinstall of CSP to fix.

I've heard a lot of people had trouble with the G2 cables for some reason, so maybe there is an intermittent fault there?
All very frustrating.

If you own or have owned a G2, can you remember what your sequence was for reliably getting into AC with it? Maybe there's a step I'm missing.
The G2 I have has a badly chipped lens which makes it unusable as a long-term solution, but it has shown me what a great HMD it could be. I'm trying to get a stable experience before buying another replacement (which are fairly cheap at the moment due to MS reportedly nerfing them next year), but as things stand with the G2 experience being so unreliable and frustrating to use I'm thinking I might be better off just waiting for the PSVR2 dongle.

Regarding alternatives, I've disregarded the Quest 3 due to compression artefacts over USB, and disregarded the Pimax Crystal Light because of its silly focal length that would require prescription lens inserts.

Thanks.
Hi mascott. I've had a G2 for quite some time. They work very well and are totally stable. I use them with steamvr since with opencomposite the performance is worse (I've read on discord that OC doesn't work well with AC).The sequence I use is:

1.- I open steam
2.- I open CM
3.- I choose track, auto etc.
4.- I activate the HMD with the sensor
5.- I click on race

I've never had the interruptions or crashes that you mention when removing the HMD to modify something in CM, but it can happen that if you let a lot of time pass with the HMD active while browsing the CM menus, they get blocked and I have to repeat the procedure.

There is an additional note: I initially had the G2 version 1 and the cable was very annoying, it caused crashes and strange things, until one day it stopped working. That's why I switched to G2-V2 which solved the V1 issues. I don't know which version you have.

My PC: i7 13700, 4080, 32 gb ram

I hope this helps.

Hi mascott. I've had a G2 for quite some time. They work very well and are totally stable. I use them with steamvr since with opencomposite the performance is worse (I've read on discord that OC doesn't work well with AC).The sequence I use is:

1.- I open steam
2.- I open CM
3.- I choose track, auto etc.
4.- I activate the HMD with the sensor
5.- I click on race

I've never had the interruptions or crashes that you mention when removing the HMD to modify something in CM, but it can happen that if you let a lot of time pass with the HMD active while browsing the CM menus, they get blocked and I have to repeat the procedure.

There is an additional note: I initially had the G2 version 1 and the cable was very annoying, it caused crashes and strange things, until one day it stopped working. That's why I switched to G2-V2 which solved the V1 issues. I don't know which version you have.

My PC: i7 13700, 4080, 32 gb ram

I hope this helps.
Thanks @bflorezr, I'll try that sequence. I think this version is the V1 with V1 cable (no on/off switch on the power box) and we think it might have been damaged during transit, so that might explain the stability issues.

@Masscot sorry to read about your issue, I hope it gets resolved quickly.
As a fellow AC player and CV1 user, like you used to be, how is the difference using a G2 instead of the CV1, once the initial novelty wears of? Is it worth it?

Definitely worth getting a G2. Made a huge difference to me coming from a rift s. My G2 failed unfortunately after 2 years hence me getting the Crystal light. It’s a shame HP haven’t made a new version of the G2.

@Masscot sorry to read about your issue, I hope it gets resolved quickly.
As a fellow AC player and CV1 user, like you used to be, how is the difference using a G2 instead of the CV1, once the initial novelty wears of? Is it worth it?
Absolutely. My experience hasn't been great, what with the damaged lens and stability issues, but with an undamaged headset I'm sure it would be amazing.
The clarity improvement is like going from an old CRT to a 1080p flat screen, and screen door is now negligible.
The FOV is noticeably bigger.
Comfort and taking the HMD on/off are very similar to the Rift.
The off-ear audio is superb.
IPD adjustment is slightly lower than the CV1, supposedly maxing out at 68mm but still accommodates my official IPD of 71mm with no eye strain whatsoever (unlike the Quest 2, in which I felt eye strain).
The biggest surprise was the LCD panels though. These are superb, and in no way does contrast or brightness feel compromised compared to the CV1's OLED. Colours are possibly a smidgen more muted, but that's nitpicking and really isn't worth mentioning.
The inside-out tracking is solid now that I use dim lighting in my sim room (I'm used to driving in the dark in the CV1, but some ambient lighting is needed for the G2)
Passthrough won't work on my headset (maybe related to damage to the cable or headset) so I can't comment on that, but I've heard it's pretty rudimentary compared to modern headsets.
Performance surprised me. I was expecting to have to lower my almost-maxed settings substantially to maintain a rock-solid 90fps but there have been no issues. At Kunos Spa in Kunos cars I can run a ~50-car grid at 90fps in dry daylight conditions, and this at native resolution. I've not done the maths but in the CV1 I was running 1.6x supersampling (which is no longer necessary in the G2), so actual rendering resolutions might not be as different as you'd think. I have a fairly beefy PC (i9-13900KF/32GB DDR5/RTX 40480) but have confidence now that modern headsets will be perfectly fine.

So yes, the G2 is a quantum leap over the CV1 and a worthy upgrade if your PC can cope.
There still seems to be some confusion over whether MS will actually nerf WMR headsets in 2026 or whether support will just be discontinued, but I feel there would be a way to keep using it even if MS remove WMR from future Windows versions. Dual booting an old version of Windows maybe? IDK.

I've been impressed by the G2 so much that I really want to get to a stable experience with it, to give me the confidence to buy another one with undamaged lenses. But maybe I'll never get a stable experience with this one because of damage somewhere (in the cable, or guts), so maybe I just need to take a chance. With the PSVR2 dongle so close to release it might be worth waiting another month or so and see how that one pans out.

One thing is certain though, I can't go back to the CV1 now.

Last edited:
I was going to keep my G2 until support was finished. Wasn’t sure if it would work then. My G2 was working fine one day then the next it wouldn’t light up on the front of the headset. Checked cables ,ports ect,power supply and even another PC but still dead.
Without buying another cable for £50 I will never know. So parked it up and bought the Crystal which I fancied anyway.

One thing is certain though, I can't go back to the CV1 now
Thank you for the extensive reply. All good to know. Maybe it is time for me to start thinking about upgrading.
From a post here, would a V2 be a safer bet to avoid issues?
Do you intend to give the PSVR2 a try?

Just chiming in to sing the praises of the Pico Neo 3 Link. It has Display port, no screen door at all, great native res and a dedicated bunch of enthusiasts who have made all kinds of improvements including custom firmware that enhances the image quality and res even further. Can be had for less than £250 on Amazon which is a steal. I paid 449euros for mine and I am still delighted.

Thank you for the extensive reply. All good to know. Maybe it is time for me to start thinking about upgrading.
The V2 is definitely a safer bet. I had both and the V1 worked fine for a while, but when the cable started to fail everything went downhill. The big advantage of the V2 is that it has an on/off button, which is the main problem with the V1 and the one that causes the failures in most cases.

By all accounts, go for the V2.
One thing I forgot to mention, the G2 has a smaller sweet spot than the CV1, but it's not something I really notice when driving... but maybe the scratched left lens and the big resulting blur is distracting me from it?
Don't let that put you off though, you'll be blown away by the sharpness of the image.

Yes, fully intending to try the PSVR2 with the dongle, even if it's just to scratch an itch. I think everyone's curious about this one.

I’ve been running a G2 V2 (at least I’m pretty sure it’s a V2) for a little over two years now and absolutely love it, one of the best changes I did was set it up to run OpenXR so I didn’t have to run WMR and Steam VR simultaneously as that can get resource heavy real quick. Here’s a quick YouTube that I used way back but there might be better ones now:

I’ve got a Quest 2 for goofing around with other games but I couldn’t imagine going to anything less than a Pimax at this point for the sim, it’s hard to beat when you can read all of the gauges and details on the infotainment screen with just a quick glance like normal!

Tried Opencomposite again this morning to see if SteamVR was the cause of my instability issues, but have two annoyances:
1. the headset now renders in a noticeably lower resolution than with SteamVR, even though customised render scale is set to 100% in OpenXR Tools for WMR
2. exiting a race shuts down Content Manager. This would be annoying enough by itself, but my G-Seat and G-Belt hook into CM so need reactivating each time CM has to be restarted.

So... how to get full resolution in Opencomposite? And how to stop CM from shutting down when exiting a race?

Tried Opencomposite again this morning to see if SteamVR was the cause of my instability issues, but have two annoyances:
1. the headset now renders in a noticeably lower resolution than with SteamVR, even though customised render scale is set to 100% in OpenXR Tools for WMR
2. exiting a race shuts down Content Manager. This would be annoying enough by itself, but my G-Seat and G-Belt hook into CM so need reactivating each time CM has to be restarted.

So... how to get full resolution in Opencomposite? And how to stop CM from shutting down when exiting a race?
My man, you have to check out Lorelord's post on page 9 of this thread. Use OpenXR toolkit in conjunction with opencomposite. The results are amazing. Not only does the picture look much cleaner and sharper, but the performance is better as well. A complete game changer for me. Not sure about the content manager issue, it doesn't do that for me.

Back