Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments

Nice one, i noticed this actually that tracks like Spa for example, didn't look as nice as the newest ones like Barcelona or Brands. Great news that they will upgrade the 'early ones' now!

I am really looking forward to this, been asking for it in my videos for a while now! Want to see how they do Silverstone and Imola

I'm hoping they start to look further abroad for laser scanning circuits now that they have a larger budget and hopefully the income from the console release helps that too. I feel we have enough cars now.

If they were to announce a laser scanned version of Mt Panorama it would be a mic drop moment for them. People would go NUTS.

All those tracks are available as mod add on, in case you did not know and want a fix waiting for original content.
In between iRacing, Project Cars, Game Stock Car Extreme and Assetto Corsa I'm fairly well covered for the circuits I love, it would just be nice to have Kunos versions, as Assetto Corsa is my go to sim for driving feel, and Kunos make excellent laser scanned circuits. iRacing ones are very good also.

First post in this forum. I'm not intending on buying a PS4 until GT7 has been out for at least 6 months. I won't let PD sucker punch me again. I would like a honest opinion from the group about Asseto Corsa. The only racing game that I have played consistently is Gran Turismo. I started with GT1 and had great fun until GT6. My DFGT with work with my PC so is this game worth the money? I saw they have a special going until the 12th that you can get the game and the 3 Dream Packs for basically what I paid for GT6.

I have a gamer type computer that I built myself and a beautiful 24" monitor and a very good video card. I'm looking for something that is as much fun as it is a challenge. So please tell me honestly is this game worth the money? Thank you in advance.

First post in this forum. I'm not intending on buying a PS4 until GT7 has been out for at least 6 months. I won't let PD sucker punch me again. I would like a honest opinion from the group about Asseto Corsa. The only racing game that I have played consistently is Gran Turismo. I started with GT1 and had great fun until GT6. My DFGT with work with my PC so is this game worth the money? I saw they have a special going until the 12th that you can get the game and the 3 Dream Packs for basically what I paid for GT6.

I have a gamer type computer that I built myself and a beautiful 24" monitor and a very good video card. I'm looking for something that is as much fun as it is a challenge. So please tell me honestly is this game worth the money? Thank you in advance.
Read through the thread. It should be pretty clear what we think of it. In short though : Yes.

@Racin510s

Welcome to GTPlanet. :gtpflag: I lived in Raleigh when I was a kid. :D

AC is EASILY worth the cost, and I paid full price for the game + DLC's. Playing on a laptop that barely meets specs, so all settings are on low, but it's still much more attractive than GT6. I loved GT5 & 6; sure, they had their problems, but they fit very well for running GTPlanet WRS time trials and online races, and continue to do so on GT6. In other words, throw the single-player vs AI "career" out the window as it's garbage, and we make our own competitions. I'm at just over 116,000 miles driven in GT6 :ill:, so I've spent quite a bit of time there. But anytime I have some free time where I don't need to do some GT6 testing or races, I'm on AC. I have Pcars too, but just don't enjoy it anywhere near as much.

I really enjoy watching and learning from my replays, even if they're just hotlaps. AC is better than GT in that regard, with slow-mo and fast-mo and access to all the infos, and you can skip to anywhere, rather than being sector-based. That's one thing that turned me off in Pcars, their replay functionality is pants.

I'd say that it really just depends on what you like. Assetto Corsa will bring you a fantastic driving experience. The way the car feels, is just incredible. My friends at Kunos have done a wonderful job over the years on this title (I first tested it a few days prior to it being released in beta). The graphics will definitely be an upgrade from GT6 as the PS3 just is not capable of doing much these days. The sounds that are in Assetto Corsa are the selling point for me over other sims. They have the closest sounds to what I feel behind the cockpit. Realistically you'll just end up hotlapping most of the time. The AI, although improving, is still not quite there yet. And the online functionality is still a bit iffy. But the game is still being heavily developed in all aspects, and I completely recommend it to anyone on the fence, because it will continue to get better and better.

I'll play devil's advocate and point out that if you're wanting any kind of in-depth career/championship mode you will likely be disappointed in that part of AC. But if you enjoy hot lapping, setting up your own races against the AI, or racing online with mates then you'll likely be very pleased. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some other sims, but the things it does do it does very well and it's flexible enough that you can create your own experience.

I'll play devil's advocate and point out that if you're wanting any kind of in-depth career/championship mode you will likely be disappointed in that part of AC. But if you enjoy hot lapping, setting up your own races against the AI, or racing online with mates then you'll likely be very pleased. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some other sims, but the things it does do it does very well and it's flexible enough that you can create your own experience.

While the carreer is not as good as pcars, its still miles ahead forza's or gt6's career. At least you're racing in proper championships.

Personnaly assetto corsa is my 2nd favorite racing game at the moment. RRRE beeing the first. Ive tried most other sim except iracing.

If you like sim racing, buy it you wont regret it.

While the carreer is not as good as pcars, its still miles ahead forza's or gt6's career. At least you're racing in proper championships.

It's been a while since I looked at it but last time I checked it really wasn't proper championships, it was just random groupings of cars on a random track and the only reward was unlocking the next random grouping of cars. A lot of them don't even really resemble any kind of real world series. Maybe it's improved since I last looked at it (probably 6 months ago) but I found it rather underwhelming. Granted, the last time I used it the AI was so bad that the whole thing was pretty pointless, but the AI is a lot better now so the career mode might be a bit more enjoyable.

Thank you and the others for your input.👍👍👍 Looks like I'll be getting a new game. I'll be sure to return to this and the other threads to help me get up to speed. Thanks again!

While I don't think AC is the best computer racing game/sim it is very good and "miles" a head of Gran Turismo, not comparing apple to apples at all. The only thing GT has over AC (or any PC racing sim) is content - a ton of cars. But I personally only drove a few of my favorites anyway back in my GT days. AC is well worth the cost.

The only thing GT has over AC (or any PC racing sim) is content - a ton of cars.
Actually the only thing GT has over games such as AC & PCars is numbers, and numbers are very relative. Take away all the clones and we can probably cross out half of the cars in GT6, take away the outdated models without a proper cockpit view and we're left with considerably less than the 1200 or so cars advertised.
If SMS & Kunos included a bunch of clones and counted different liveries as different cars like PD does I'm sure AC & PCars would have 1000+ cars as well.

FS7
Actually the only thing GT has over games such as AC & PCars is numbers, and numbers are very relative. Take away all the clones and we can probably cross out half of the cars in GT6, take away the outdated models without a proper cockpit view and we're left with considerably less than the 1200 or so cars advertised.
If SMS & Kunos included a bunch of clones and counted different liveries as different cars like PD does I'm sure AC & PCars would have 1000+ cars as well.

GT has far more over AC than sheer number of cars, it just depends on what one finds important. In GT you can upgrade your cars, customize your cars, customize your driver, select your racing number (on select models), it has a better photo mode, night racing and weather, and the community is probably an order of magnitude larger. The online portion is far more robust, has multiple choices for starting order (including reverse grids), has a very useable chat box as well as integrated voice chat, the option to qualify with other cars ghosted so you don't get blocked or use someone's draft as an advantage, it handles penalties better, not to mention the ability to easily create your own club. Some of those things I don't miss in AC, but some of them I really, really miss. Of course GT's AI and "career" mode is so woeful that it renders most of its positives useless, but the absence of these things in AC shines a light on things that GT actually got right.

@Racin510s I recognize your screen name from the GT6 Seasonal Event threads. I think you'll be VERY happy with Assetto Corsa. Unlike GT6, you're not worried about collecting credits to buy cars. You already "own" every car. And while some people put down Assetto Corsa for their relatively small car list, having Assetto Corsa on PC means you can install a TON of user created modded cars. Now, many of those cars kind of stink, in my opinion, but everybody has different opinions and there are several hundred cars available to download for free and try. The same applies for the tracks. Most user created tracks aren't as good as the official Assetto Corsa tracks, but many are outstanding and many are certainly acceptable. There are plenty of tracks to keep a person from ever getting bored.

The first thing you're going to notice about Assetto Corsa, compared to Gran Turismo 6, is how each car really does feel different from each other. With GT6, I often felt that you could take 10 street cars and the only thing that felt different between the 10 cars was the amount of power/torque each car had. In AC you really get a unique driving experience with every single car.

Many street cars have very few things that you have to worry about "tuning". So, if you're not the greatest car tuner, like me, you don't have to worry about adjusting things like LSD, spring rates, gear ratios, etc... Race cars are a different story, of course. Some race cars have so many adjustable settings, my head spins! LOL!

Finally, I recommend checking out this thread: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/assetto-corsa-logitech-dfgt-settings.77586/ for advice on setting up your DFGT with Assetto Corsa. Have fun with your new game. Welcome to the club!

Thank you and the others for your input.👍👍👍 Looks like I'll be getting a new game. I'll be sure to return to this and the other threads to help me get up to speed. Thanks again!
I like this attitude. Far too many people are so self absorbed that they basically in effect say "I'll be sure to return to this and the other threads to moan that it wasn't like what I'm used to, and I got a refund".

If you give to it, it will give to you.

I've been doing races with GT3 cars (vanilla and mods). I was wondering if they're all BOP'd correctly. I feel like the C7.R is a bit faster. I'm assuming it is BOP'd as a GTLM.

Does anyone know if tyre temps are simulated correctly in AC? I've been using Danny Giusa's tyre temp app (http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/danny-giusas-tyre-temperatures.3507/) and noticed the tyres don't really heat up all that much during hard driving. I've tried the P1 and Exos around Silverstone. I tried doing burnouts, locking brakes, donuts and hard cornering for 2-3 laps but the temps just stay at 70-80 C. I'm comparing this to rFactor where tyre temps are always changing with every input. In a road car you could easily overheat tyres in one corner if you overdrive it.

I noticed tyre temp readings in the pits settings area as well. I assume this is taken from the last reading when you're on track and not when you are stationary in the pits?

Does anyone know if tyre temps are simulated correctly in AC? I've been using Danny Giusa's tyre temp app (http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/danny-giusas-tyre-temperatures.3507/) and noticed the tyres don't really heat up all that much during hard driving. I've tried the P1 and Exos around Silverstone. I tried doing burnouts, locking brakes, donuts and hard cornering for 2-3 laps but the temps just stay at 70-80 C. I'm comparing this to rFactor where tyre temps are always changing with every input. In a road car you could easily overheat tyres in one corner if you overdrive it.

I noticed tyre temp readings in the pits settings area as well. I assume this is taken from the last reading when you're on track and not when you are stationary in the pits?
I believe that app shows the core temp of each tire which is different than the surface temp, however, tire temps are one of those things that are a little bugged at the moment, and the devs are working on it. Check out the official forum, there is a thread about it there I think.

I believe that app shows the core temp of each tire which is different than the surface temp, however, tire temps are one of those things that are a little bugged at the moment, and the devs are working on it. Check out the official forum, there is a thread about it there I think.

Ah that makes more sense then. I hope it gets fixed soon. At the end of the day it doesn't really affect the driving experience, but after coming from rFactor which shows tyre temp display prominently it kinda messes with your head a bit if something obvious like that isn't working properly :P

I have yet to sign up to the official forums. It's kinda annoying how you have to sign up to view any page :lol:

Ah that makes more sense then. I hope it gets fixed soon. At the end of the day it doesn't really affect the driving experience, but after coming from rFactor which shows tyre temp display prominently it kinda messes with your head a bit if something obvious like that isn't working properly :P

I have yet to sign up to the official forums. It's kinda annoying how you have to sign up to view any page :lol:
In some cases it actually does impact the driving, unfortunately. The car loses grip as they cool down. Only certain cars though.

In some cases it actually does impact the driving, unfortunately. The car loses grip as they cool down. Only certain cars though.

I'm thinking more along the lines of as long as you're driving properly (not too slow and not overdriving) it doesn't matter that much since your temps are going to be in a consistent range. But yeah ideally I'd like everything fully simulated.

I'm thinking more along the lines of as long as you're driving properly (not too slow and not overdriving) it doesn't matter that much since your temps are going to be in a consistent range. But yeah ideally I'd like everything fully simulated.
The problem is how you drive the car on the first lap when the tires are still warm from the tire blankets is not necessarily the same as how you need to drive it when the tires cool down. Can't brake as late, can't carry as much speed through the corners etc. Of course you can adapt to the grip, but the tires shouldn't be cooling down like that to necessitate that adaption.

The problem is how you drive the car on the first lap when the tires are still warm from the tire blankets is not necessarily the same as how you need to drive it when the tires cool down. Can't brake as late, can't carry as much speed through the corners etc. Of course you can adapt to the grip, but the tires shouldn't be cooling down like that to necessitate that adaption.

That's another thing that confused me too. No matter what I do I can't get the tyres to get hotter than when I just got out of the pits with tyre blankets. In rFactor F1 you get out at 70 C and within a few laps you can get it to around 90-100 C. In AC you get out at 80 C and it drops to 70 C and stays there no matter how many laps you do.

That's another thing that confused me too. No matter what I do I can't get the tyres to get hotter than when I just got out of the pits with tyre blankets. In rFactor F1 you get out at 70 C and within a few laps you can get it to around 90-100 C. In AC you get out at 80 C and it drops to 70 C and stays there no matter how many laps you do.

I'm lucky if they stay around 70c, in most cars they're usually in the 55-65c range no matter how hard I drive. In some cars it doesn't seem to matter much but in others after the first lap it feels like driving on ice. I think there's only a couple cars I can keep the tires at or above 80c.

Back