Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
Wiz

Holy mother of........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................errrr..................ummmmmmmmm...............what just happened? I blacked out and when I came to my face was on the keyboard.....................

Sweet baby Jebus I want that so bad!!! :drool: :bowdown: :drool:

Am I mistaken or does the track temp stay the same all the time?
You are mistaken:lol:. Track temp will change with air temperature and time of day. You can change air temperature and time of day of course. Around 1pm gives the highest temps I believe. The higher the temps the more grip you get.

You'll gain more grip from the track "rubbering in" during the session, but as far as I know the track temp remains constant.

So what are some features in Assetto corsa that make it great, or distinguishable among such a fast growing genre?

Can I customize my car's performance like in Forza, and GT?

Or is it a selection of vehicles in their "standard" form?

What is the basic gameplay setup like? Do I go through a career from beginner level and progress toward more high end races and machines, or do I choose my path like Project CARS?

Thanks in advance GTPlanet family.

So what are some features in Assetto corsa that make it great, or distinguishable among such a fast growing genre?

What is the basic gameplay setup like? Do I go through a career from beginner level and progress toward more high end races and machines, or do I choose my path like Project CARS?

Thanks in advance GTPlanet family.

The popularity of the PC version of Assetto Corsa is not based on features, a vast selection of cars or a great career path. The popularity is based on the driving experience. The combination of a great physics engine, an excellent graphics engine, well detailed cars and lazer scanned tracks makes driving in AC more compelling for me than any other simulator I have ever tried (GT6, Forza and PCars). For example I spent a lot of time in GT6 and never missed it when I moved to AC. I purchased PCars and spent a fair amount of time in it. I finally tried the same car and the same track between PCars and AC and never drove on PCars again.

The AI on Assetto Corsa was pretty bad at first but it now is highly competitive and behaves in a pretty sensible way. It makes racing AI pretty compelling.

The multi player on AC and works pretty good but is missing a lot of features to make on line racing a polished experience. It needs a lot more racers because many servers are empty certainly for US racers because AC has a strong European user base and the time difference leaves US racers not able to catch evening European races because of other commitments.

The Career and Special Events category is disappointing but I expect that they will greatly improve this for the console introduction. They have good engines so it's a matter of creating and correctly calibrating the difficulty of the events.

People who have been driving AC on PC's are hopefully that the money and focus of launching on the consoles will add a great deal of depth to AC and that the money generated will help accelerate the growth.

No.

Basically they try to mimic the real car so it's a simulation in the purest sense of the world. The only tires available for each car are those that it came with or were available for it at the time. Some older cars have one compound only. Newer cars will often come with a street tire and a track tire. But you won't be slapping racing slicks on a Yellowbird or modern tires on a Lotus 25 or Lotus 49. The Lotus 49 will feel like a Lotus 49 and when you are sideways, on purpose, at 240 km/h and in total control of the car, you will agree that it is the best approach to simulation:sly:

We don't know yet how it will play out in the console version, we'll have to wait and see what they've come up with. Marco did say this in an interview though:

"The first thing we'd like to include is championships," says Massarutto. "We'd like to give people a chance to choose one car and create one championship from the first race to the final one, for any car you want to. This is something we've not done yet, it won't be in the 1.0 on console, but it's one of the first steps we want to make."
As they say, "in a future update":lol:

As with Project Cars, one has to distinguish between a car game like Forza or GT and a simulation. Forza and GT have many more options in terms of tires and customization whereas a simulation like Project Cars or AC is attempting to accurately simulate reality within a much smaller range of performance. Some, probably most people, prefer a game like Forza or GT which is much more flexible and tunable for the individual. Sims tend to be very narrow in scope but within that narrow scope they excel at reproducing the feeling, the sound, the interface and just the visceral experience of driving the real version of the car. I can only speak for myself when I say that this is where AC excels. I think Eurogamer summed it up nicely:

They're all details that conspire to make Assetto Corsa a driving experience like no other; hardcore simulators like rFactor 2 may have claim to more exacting physics, but they're no way near as much fun. And, while the specifics of its authenticity will always be up for debate, no other game I've played feels so much like driving a car. Playing the console build on a PlayStation 4, I'm delighted to say that's all still true of a game that impressively doesn't seem to have changed a jot in the porting process. This is driving that's pliable, playful and fun, complete with a depth that should distinguish it on console: if you've only ever played the likes of Forza and Project Cars, Assetto Corsa may prove a pleasant surprise.

Thank you @RReed43 and @Johnnypenso for the feedback.

I've really been jumping in the mix and shaking things up with the racing games, trying to find something new.

Project cars is pretty good, and I enjoy playing it but I truly think it is best played with a wheel.

I had a wheel for GT6, but it's time for a modern one, so my experience is a little watered down using the DS4.

Does Kunos have plans to add Circuit de la Sarthe to Assetto Corsa? Hard to imagine a sim not featuring such a legendary circuit at all. Not having it at launch is odd enough. I live at that circuit whenever a game has it.

Thanks.

Does Kunos have plans to add Circuit de la Sarthe to Assetto Corsa? Hard to imagine a sim not featuring such a legendary circuit at all. Not having it at launch is odd enough. I live at that circuit whenever a game has it.

Thanks.

From what I've read the license for Le Mans is very expensive so they may not be able to afford it right now. There is a very good mod version of it available though.

From what I've read the license for Le Mans is very expensive so they may not be able to afford it right now. There is a very good mod version of it available though.
That is what I feared but hopefully it changes in the future. It would be a real shame when the game is getting the Toyota TS040-HYBRID 2014 and Audi R18 e-tron quattro 2014 at some point.

I have watched some videos of the mod, which look great, but being a PS4 player that is as close as I will get. Thanks for the reply.

Hopefully they get enough sales to get the money for the licence but to be honest I'd personally prefer some more obscure tracks.

That is what I feared but hopefully it changes in the future. It would be a real shame when the game is getting the Toyota TS040-HYBRID 2014 and Audi R18 e-tron quattro 2014 at some point.

I have watched some videos of the mod, which look great, but being a PS4 player that is as close as I will get. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, unfortunately console players are only going to get part of the AC experience. Shame because the mod cars/tracks/app/sounds really transform the game for the better (it's a bit bland without them).

It has to be a real dilemma for a developer like Kunos on such a tight budget and with such a small staff. Licensing LeMans might cost double or triple another circuit and might bring additional sales because the track is recognizable to fans, but at the same time, bringing the same tracks over and over to games does get a little boring after a while. I think Magione and Vallelunga are great tracks and it's enjoyable to drive something different. Personally I'd rather see many more of these less well known venues in driving sims. If I never see Monza in a game again I'm perfectly ok with that:)

Yeah, unfortunately console players are only going to get part of the AC experience. Shame because the mod cars/tracks/app/sounds really transform the game for the better (it's a bit bland without them).

This is why I've always been a PC guy. If you really think things through, it's pretty easy to make a PC that is only a couple hundred dollars less than a PS4 or Xbox One, you'll get more uses out of it as well as a better graphics experience too!

Yeah, on the PC Assetto Corsa's not too bad because of the mods (cars and tracks). Without mods, it's pretty slim pickins. And feature wise no where near the games console players are familiar with - GT and Forza series. I wish the best for Kunos as they seem like a good group of developers. As far as PC sims go, AC is about 4th on my list of favorites as it is still missing some core features and my preference is toward racing but it's improving slowly. AC may do OK as it's more of a driving game than racing, more to the liking of a Gran Turismo fan.

Back