Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter daan
  • 136,854 comments
@jk0011 That's much better. One of the helicopters actually traveled down a straightaway, just in front of me... then I watched it a little too long and ran into a wall. My fault, just watching the copter.

Changing the subject... Lighting.

I've seen another post that someone thought the lights were too bright. I tend to agree, but I think the main issue may be the "distance" most of the lights are throwing. With so many lights doing the same thing, cumulatively, everything is much brighter than it should be. The most noticeable affect is how the underside of bridges, parking garages, and other trackside structures are very, unrealistically, bright, when they should be quite dim, or barely lit from their own lighting.

In addition, there's so much light in some areas, that the driver and inside of the cockpit can be practically blinding at times, and the shadows around the driver and cockpit are practically wiped out when this happens.

Also, maybe the larger trackside buildings' lighting could be "turned down" a little, as our eyes (and cameras) adjust for the brightness of the track lights, so all outer environmental lights, beyond the track lights, are mostly overpowered. They appear much darker, unless we can look beyond or move outside of the track lights and allow our eyes to adjust to see them

Of course, trying to replicate this is likely incredibly difficult. I know we have to work within the constraints of what AC's lighting system will do, and getting any lights in 3D to do what you want can be a major headache. Add to this, there's so many lights to contend with.

In this video, notice you only see "twinkles" of lights from the surrounding buildings, and that most of the actual structures are barely visible.

As for my comments, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, or be extensively critical. I think it's pretty good, but with some tweaks, could be even better. With so many lights, and I mean A LOT of lights, if every one would need to be edited, individually, to change this... yeah, trying to adjust and make changes is a very tedious task, unless a find-and-replace procedure within the config file would alleviate most of that. Of course, backing up previous versions, and working on a test copy of the config file would be necessary and a safe approach in case things get really messed up (as sometimes happens on my projects).

I'm not sure about it because it changed a little by fix..

I noticed to some extent about light related,
but there are cases in which not control.

The reason is some lights are integrated into one by CSP.
If it change "CLUSTER_THRESHOLD=" in "ext_config.ini", proportion changes
but it can't control light completely.
And If light object divide into smaller pieces, there are also fps issues.

I planned to write this later..
most concern is ppfilter.
I noticed that there are many ppfilter that make the exposure very stronger at night.

It is usually comfortable at night, but maybe dazzling on some night specification tracks with many light.
(ppfilter that doesn't increase the exposure is.. a3pp, __sol_ACC?)
(can find it by looking at the *.lua file.)
If so, might want to turn down the light at config.

Why not just open @Delta7Fox 's skin folder and delete any tree and grass textures you don't like to restore the defaults (or alter them to your taste in PS/Gimp)? That'll do the same thing.

I actually started to do so until I discovered the original track textures, and to me, they looked, maybe not perfect, but better. I found this was an easy fix--set up the two folders so they can be selected in CM, and provided them as an option, especially for those that aren't as "mod savvy" as some of us. We still benefit from all of Digital7Fox's work, but after copying them and removing the files in the default folder, with just a click in CM, you can try out each option, and use your preference.

While this is a wonderful little track, this version could definitely be improved even more. Some additional details and shader work could be done. In similar fashion, Ahvenisto was generally a basic, or "dated" mod for a long time, but after it's recent updates, it's now worth driving. SUGO probably won't need as much work to make it even better and match Ahvenisto in quality. It's a good track to drive.

The biggest, most immediate problem with this version, the road mesh definitely needs to be smoothed on the last sweeping turn, as it totally upsets the car and breaks traction. This may be a feature of the real track, but I doubt it's this severe. I'll need to watch some actual laps. I may have time in the next couple of days to open it in 3DsMax, and see what's going on.

[ EDIT ] Video, maybe a little bit of a bump at the turnoffs, but nothing like in the current mod.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, off topic, a photo of my first "steering wheel." Too bad the set and console were washed out to sea by a hurricane. I'd probably still have them on a shelf somewhere.

Atari-2600-Paddle-Controller-FR.jpg

Think about it, how it started and where we are now. I still remember reading an article that predicted that almost everyone would have "home computers" in the future that were more powerful than what NASA was using in their rockets. While in college, I remember sitting at a monochrome console, with nothing more than a blinking cursor, and could see the huge mainframe through a window, in it's air-conditioned room. Carrying a stack of computer punch cards (precursor to the floppy disk), tightly wrapped with a rubber band, because you didn't want to drop and get them out of order.

Okay, back to our regularly-scheduled programming. Simulators, FF wheels, multi-thread CPUs, RTX-GPUs, VR, and mods.

Truly the best PPfilter i've used thus far. been running A3PP, but this just makes everything look so much better. The base settings it comes with though are complete garbage, i cranked everything up and took off the limit in the settings file and it looks amazing!

How did you crank everything up? Can you share your settings?

I've spent the last week or so converting this track from rFactor, it's Utah Motorsports Campus, formerly known as Miller Motorsports Park in Utah. All 4 layouts are there, and all of them have AI, but I'm sure the AI could be better. I don't know how to do cameras so I didn't add them.

Enjoy!
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/utah-motorsports-campus.32796/

6a4Ormn.png

I find it curious/ironic that Utah, which has some of the most beautiful mountain scenery in the world, is host to another two-dimensional, Tilke-like flat track, highly invaginated (that's a real word) to cram the highest number of turns into the smallest space, like a Parker Bros. board game.

Edit: which is not to say that the AC version of the track is anything less than terrific.

Last edited:
Okay, off topic, a photo of my first "steering wheel." Too bad the set and console were washed out to sea by a hurricane. I'd probably still have them on a shelf somewhere.

View attachment 918583

Think about it, how it started and where we are now. I still remember reading an article that predicted that almost everyone would have "home computers" in the future that were more powerful than what NASA was using in their rockets. While in college, I remember sitting at a monochrome console, with nothing more than a blinking cursor, and could see the huge mainframe through a window, in it's air-conditioned room. Carrying a stack of computer punch cards (precursor to the floppy disk), tightly wrapped with a rubber band, because you didn't want to drop and get them out of order.

Okay, back to our regularly-scheduled programming. Simulators, FF wheels, multi-thread CPUs, RTX-GPUs, VR, and mods.
Those were the days. Making translations tabels from binary to hex and you could understand what was happening under the hood (MS-DOS).
If then else ;)

I've spent the last week or so converting this track from rFactor, it's Utah Motorsports Campus, formerly known as Miller Motorsports Park in Utah. All 4 layouts are there, and all of them have AI, but I'm sure the AI could be better. I don't know how to do cameras so I didn't add them.
I've just posted the sections files for UMC on RD. For some reason the ones in the track folder are from Barbagallo (the same file for each layout) !?

A few things though: I got several trackside objects flickering and while there's not much to see environment wise, attention is drawn on the surrounding mountains. Is there a way to make these a bit more 'in focus' and get rid of the blurry ridge ? It looks like if I need to wear glasses (which I don't)...

Those were the days. Making translations tabels from binary to hex and you could understand what was happening under the hood (MS-DOS).
If then else ;)

Image how NASA would have someone look through stacks of fan-folded pin-fed paper, dot-matrix print outs of nothing but rows and columns of numbers, to figure out why the Hubble Telescope was going off it's trajectory a little, every few orbits. The problem needed to be solved as they kept having to make corrections and burn onboard fuel.

...and today we can get so frustrated when a mod does something strange, and it's usually just one obvious config setting.

Hi there, Luca.
I did't understand your question. Could you rephrase, or maybe ask in italian (just for this time)?

I think he's asking if there's a way to do a driver swap, like iRacing does, during online endurance race events. Like real endurance racing, two or more drivers drive one car as a team.

Now that, if even possible, would be quite a mod... but we do have SOL, CM, and all the other incredible mods and improvements. Maybe it's possible.

Enjoy!
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/utah-motorsports-campus.32796/

6a4Ormn.png
Oh yeah, I needed it to set up a few ALMS custom championships with the cars and presets kindly shared by @NeilB1971 a few weeks ago, much appreciated.

I find it curious/ironic that Utah, which has some of the most beautiful mountain scenery in the world, is host to another two-dimensional, Tilke-like flat track, highly invaginated (that's a real word) to cram the highest number of turns into the smallest space, like a Parker Bros. board game.

Edit: which is not to say that the AC version of the track is anything less than terrific.

It's actually a really fun track to drive in real life and hosts the Ford Performance Racing School. The track is definitely geared toward high horsepower cars and can confirm that it is truly enjoyable at speed.

I've just posted the sections files for UMC on RD. For some reason the ones in the track folder are from Barbagallo (the same file for each layout) !?

A few things though: I got several trackside objects flickering and while there's not much to see environment wise, attention is drawn on the surrounding mountains. Is there a way to make these a bit more 'in focus' and get rid of the blurry ridge ? It looks like if I need to wear glasses (which I don't)...

I originally started building this in Race Track Builder but was having some issues with accuracy so I found that rfactor track and decided to build off that one instead. Race Track Builder comes with a template you can use for all the data files for the track and I just used that. It looks like I forgot to edit the sections :D Thanks!

I tried a few different mountain backdrops that I ripped from other tracks but I figured if I was going to release something I didn't want to use one of those so I adapted the one that i extracted from the track's rfactor skyboxi instead. I had to mess with the colors and levels in photoshop to make them somewhat presentable but yeah, they are pretty bad. And I tried for hours to get rid of the black line at the top that ends up drawing a circle around the top of the alpha, but just couldn't get it. I suspect that i simply made it too big, because the line isn't visible when you're close to the perimeter, but if you turn around you can see it on the other side.

The big screens I also had some trouble with, the white screen seems to be flickering through to the back side but that's only seen when you're really far away from it. Also I've found that when setting objects that have flat sides to "CAST_SHADOWS=1" it creates a moire pattern that flickers and looks bad, but I felt it looked even worse to have them not cast any shadows at all. It's a weird thing I don't know how to overcome yet.

great track, I do seem to have some strange dark shapes in the sand at the side of the track, maybe a shader problem
Is this like a dark moire pattern on the ground? I was having trouble with kseditor setting "CAST_SHADOWS=1" to road objects after saving them as false in the editor. I would even go in to the ini file itself and change it, but if I saved with kseditor it would bring it back. I thought I had solved all of the instances where ground objects were set to cast shadows but I probably missed a few.

The tools I've been using are 3dsimed to separate, rename and retexture stuff, as well as dropping the cones and AC timing elements, exporting as FBX and going into kseditor to put together the finishing touches, apply shadows to appropriate objects, test lighting and specularity and stuff. A lot of this was trial and error.

I live out here in Utah and I agree, that track is like, the flattest driving surface in the area this side of the salt flats. We have such cool canyon roads to drive on, but the guy that had the track built is some local rich dude (owner of the Jazz and a bunch of car dealerships) and had it built at first just as a playground for him and his friends but it ballooned into a whole facility that could be used for real racing. Ford used it as their official racing school a few years back and if you bought a mustang, Focus ST, or Fiesta ST you got a free day of HPDE at the track as long as you could get yourself there, so I think a lot of the corners (and those yellow sticks on most of the kerbs) are geared towards teaching better race driving, like there's a bunch of complicated corners on the track specifically to teach that kind of thing.

This is great! Just left a review on RD. Perhaps @safi hellie would be interested in doing some cams, and I'm sure @LiquidSkyMan wouldn't mind reworking the AI. They're each some of the best at what they do :D

Did someone say a track had no cameras.....

Downloading it now....
Right quick cameras, not perfect but a good starting point and at least you can see the track now during the replay.
This is for the full track only right now...its a looooong track.

Just uploading it on here as i will return and tweek it here and there....but its a start..
Hi everyone, hoping you're doing well, just like @safi hellie, I've also been working on cameras for this track (the Full layout initially), and here's what I have thus far - let me know if its going in the right direction, enjoy.

Thanks so much for the support on this, it's great! I was nervous about releasing something so unfinished and unpolished but the knowledge and help that this community is so generous with is very humbling.

Last edited:

This is definitely a fun, "countryside" club track, especially in an F3 level open-wheel.

Pretty significant problems with this mod as is, especially how the first laps you could accidentally turn off the track, go down a road, and fly off into magenta limbo (needs cones). Braking markers (or training cone option), better road texture (it was updated recently--some new asphalt), no pit boxes... a lot of things.

The track itself is really fun, and it would definitely be worth updating and improving.

This about TCR Europe virtual championship sounds interesting:

“We are pleased to see that the fans loved them. All we can say to them is to be patient. Soon our cars will be available for them too,” said WSC president Marcello Lotti.

LINK
I know its a bad thing to say but im disappointed LP Design was chosen, hes a really unprofessional person in my dealing with him and the paid gatc mod he put out a while bad had kunos parts. Maybe hes improved, maybe not im just surprised and disappointed.

I actually started to do so until I discovered the original track textures, and to me, they looked, maybe not perfect, but better. I found this was an easy fix--set up the two folders so they can be selected in CM, and provided them as an option, especially for those that aren't as "mod savvy" as some of us. We still benefit from all of Digital7Fox's work, but after copying them and removing the files in the default folder, with just a click in CM, you can try out each option, and use your preference.

While this is a wonderful little track, this version could definitely be improved even more. Some additional details and shader work could be done. In similar fashion, Ahvenisto was generally a basic, or "dated" mod for a long time, but after it's recent updates, it's now worth driving. SUGO probably won't need as much work to make it even better and match Ahvenisto in quality. It's a good track to drive.

The biggest, most immediate problem with this version, the road mesh definitely needs to be smoothed on the last sweeping turn, as it totally upsets the car and breaks traction. This may be a feature of the real track, but I doubt it's this severe. I'll need to watch some actual laps. I may have time in the next couple of days to open it in 3DsMax, and see what's going on.

[ EDIT ] Video, maybe a little bit of a bump at the turnoffs, but nothing like in the current mod.

Ah Yes you also noticed the same problem with the jump of a bump on the last corner

Ah Yes you also noticed the same problem with the jump of a bump on the last corner

@Masscot SUGO FYI

Test and evaluation laps of the current SUGO mod. You can see how the bumps on the last turn are a major issue--there's a few spins and close calls with the barrier if you have time to watch the whole video.

The "best" lap is at 7:19 (link in the desciption if you switch to YT).

Pretty good real-life lap, though the car is a higher class.
I think I can see a little bit of a bump at the kart entrance and exit.

I originally started building this in Race Track Builder but was having some issues with accuracy so I found that rfactor track and decided to build off that one instead. Race Track Builder comes with a template you can use for all the data files for the track and I just used that. It looks like I forgot to edit the sections :D Thanks!

I tried a few different mountain backdrops that I ripped from other tracks but I figured if I was going to release something I didn't want to use one of those so I adapted the one that i extracted from the track's rfactor skyboxi instead. I had to mess with the colors and levels in photoshop to make them somewhat presentable but yeah, they are pretty bad. And I tried for hours to get rid of the black line at the top that ends up drawing a circle around the top of the alpha, but just couldn't get it. I suspect that i simply made it too big, because the line isn't visible when you're close to the perimeter, but if you turn around you can see it on the other side.

The big screens I also had some trouble with, the white screen seems to be flickering through to the back side but that's only seen when you're really far away from it. Also I've found that when setting objects that have flat sides to "CAST_SHADOWS=1" it creates a moire pattern that flickers and looks bad, but I felt it looked even worse to have them not cast any shadows at all. It's a weird thing I don't know how to overcome yet.

Is this like a dark moire pattern on the ground? I was having trouble with kseditor setting "CAST_SHADOWS=1" to road objects after saving them as false in the editor. I would even go in to the ini file itself and change it, but if I saved with kseditor it would bring it back. I thought I had solved all of the instances where ground objects were set to cast shadows but I probably missed a few.

The tools I've been using are 3dsimed to separate, rename and retexture stuff, as well as dropping the cones and AC timing elements, exporting as FBX and going into kseditor to put together the finishing touches, apply shadows to appropriate objects, test lighting and specularity and stuff. A lot of this was trial and error.

I live out here in Utah and I agree, that track is like, the flattest driving surface in the area this side of the salt flats. We have such cool canyon roads to drive on, but the guy that had the track built is some local rich dude (owner of the Jazz and a bunch of car dealerships) and had it built at first just as a playground for him and his friends but it ballooned into a whole facility that could be used for real racing. Ford used it as their official racing school a few years back and if you bought a mustang, Focus ST, or Fiesta ST you got a free day of HPDE at the track as long as you could get yourself there, so I think a lot of the corners (and those yellow sticks on most of the kerbs) are geared towards teaching better race driving, like there's a bunch of complicated corners on the track specifically to teach that kind of thing.

Thanks so much for the support on this, it's great! I was nervous about releasing something so unfinished and unpolished but the knowledge and help that this community is so generous with is very humbling.

Definitely stick with it please. I'm emotionally invested because i've driven there haha.

This is definitely a fun, "countryside" club track, especially in an F3 level open-wheel.

Pretty significant problems with this mod as is, especially how the first laps you could accidentally turn off the track, go down a road, and fly off into magenta limbo (needs cones). Braking markers (or training cone option), better road texture (it was updated recently--some new asphalt), no pit boxes... a lot of things.

The track itself is really fun, and it would definitely be worth updating and improving.

Totally agree - yup I get it, annoying newbies like me asking for this and asking for that yet i don't feel like a newbie, I'm on this thread every day for the last six months reading every post. And for sure I'm very grateful, as no doubt many others are, for the great work all you guys and girls do here making Assetto even greater than it already is, but, absolute greatness would be assured if Pembrey was fixed. There is no greater track known to man in South Wales. I for one would be eternally grateful if the broken stuff could be fixed - hasn't got to be a looker. I'd do it myself but tbh I'm not the brightest. Not lazy. Not bright at this sort of stuff.

If no one wants to touch it then fair enough and once again thanks everyone for giving us all this new great stuff you keep on giving. :)

1971 underway! Due to the lack of footage of this era, I was obliged to make some interpretations, from 70 to 75 videos and photos.
Guard Rails from Lesmo to Parabolica done: I there will be adaptation, because I decided to use same rails from 71 than 73-7 layout, to keep some space, and easiless
Screenshot_ks_lotus_72d_ks_monza66_7-5-120-19-57-7.jpg
Screenshot_ks_lotus_72d_ks_monza66_7-5-120-19-58-22.jpg

The layout is quite off and unaccurate sadly, so I can't have much better than this.

Hope you will like it anyway

NExt will be curva grande and the first sector, tonight

Totally noob question but is it possible to paint over the headlights ? You know, covering them as if it was a test / prototype car or summit.

oMcMy7L.png

This one has a DDS file but when I paint the glass part with Photoshop it... Doesn't work, as if the game didn't recognize the painted part.
And other cars share the same material for the headlight, cockpit glass etc. so it's practically impossible to paint the headlights without breaking something.

Any tips lads ?

Sportsland SUGO evaluation--road mesh, visible road hidden, isolated view on last turn.

Yeah, that's really messed up. Looks like waves in the pavement. The direction of the grooves explains why hitting them can cause unpredictable car behavior.

Maybe I'll have time to build a new, clean mesh for it (the whole track), then "re-bumpify" it realistically, just enough.

If the original creator approves, I just need to make the time for the work. Maybe I'll check more recent photos and video of the real track.

No promises yet, but if I start to work on it and make more improvements, maybe I'll start an update thread on RD. I'm very experienced with 3D modeling, but haven't gotten too far into exporting the models, setting shaders, optimization specific to AC, and of course there's the moving target that is CSP updates.

Corner-Road-Mesh-01.jpg

Corner-Road-Mesh-02.jpg

Shadow DN1 from Assettoland's website has been updated!

dn1_preview-jpg.918633

• Made cockpit glass transparent.
  • Adjusted driver hands position.
  • Added brake disc glow.
  • Updated the following components:
    • Adjustable gear ratios.
    • Aeronynamics.
    • Brakes.
    • Ground collision.
    • Model collision.
    • Model shaders.
    • Engine.
    • Engine sound (Lotus 72D).
    • Drivetrain.
    • Exhaust backblast.
    • Power graph.
    • In-game car setup windows.
    • Suspension.
    • Tyres.

For now, when accessing the website, this message will appear:
TO ALL OUR WEBSITE USERS

We have recieved numerous messages about people having issues wtih downloading mods from the website. The reason for that is that Google Drive have a download-limit per 24 hours. Because of this we would like our beloved users to send us a message with a suggestion to a filehoster (wich does not have a download-limit) we can use for future mods. This annoying popup will be removed within a few days.

Kindly regards from the Assettoland crew.
Any suggestion is appreciated.

Attachments

• dn1_preview.jpg
    dn1_preview.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 590
Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back