Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter daan
  • 136,846 comments
For anyone wondering how to add flames to a car, it's fairly easy:
1) Find a car with working flames and the same number of exhausts (4, in this example). Works better if it's the same type of car, because of the flame intensity/duration.
2) Copy the flames from textures/flames, and the files from data folder called "flames.ini", and "flames.preset"
3) Positioning flames is like positioning the driver: go to CM showroom, select flames, click on the car screen and press "t", to enable the flames vectors:
upload_2020-5-7_18-35-56.png

4) Click "Save moved points"

I'm just about ready to share this for feedback and notes on anything I may have missed but I'm trying to decide on the interior. The seats are currently two-toned and I think look quite nice for a street car but I'm wondering if I should just make them all black. Opinions?

I've always been a fan of two-tone seats with a lighter colored insert. I have to say though that a bean bag chair in the Corvair would work for me as I love that car, probably because I grew up in that time.

Totally noob question but is it possible to paint over the headlights...same material for the headlight, cockpit glass etc. so it's practically impossible to paint the headlights...

Always best to poke the current 'custodian' of the car, if only for version control.

I'll take a look.

:cheers:

For anyone wondering how to add flames to a car, it's fairly easy:
1) Find a car with working flames and the same number of exhausts (4, in this example). Works better if it's the same type of car, because of the flame intensity/duration.
2) Copy the flames from textures/flames, and the files from data folder called "flames.ini", and "flames.preset"
3) Positioning flames is like positioning the driver: go to CM showroom, select flames, click on the car screen and press "t", to enable the flames vectors:
View attachment 918721

4) Click "Save moved points"
I remember when I used to do positioning in the configs with a LOT of guesswork trial-and-error.
Dark days indeed.

Sportsland SUGO -- New Road Mesh Development.

New is cyan, old is green. Thought I'd see what I could do. Very early, but it's shaping up.

For those unfamiliar with the procedure, I'm using the "Surface" modifier in 3DsMax to create the geometry from a crosshatch of Bezier splines. This modifier allows you to adjust the number of iterations, so I can make adjustments with fewer visible polygons, then increase the iterations to increase the density of the mesh. Then the Edit Poly modifier can be applied (makes it an editable poly) to create noise and carefully use free form surfacing tools to add more detail, such as real track surface characteristics, to the mesh. That's when things get really tedious.

New mesh

Corner-Road-Mesh-04.jpg

Original mesh with ruts and grooves at the chicane.

Corner-Road-Mesh-03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Who knows how to change driver models? I want to put helmetless drivers on road cars.

DeCarrera's advice is good.
Here are some additional considerations to save you time:

This is the driver's model the car will use (located in driver3d.ini, within the extracted DATA folder):

[MODEL]
NAME=driver_70

That line is caps sensitive, so Driver_70 won't work.
At the bottom of the file, there are additional lines for the parts of the head the game hides when you're playing (otherwise your point of view wold be located inside the driver's 3d head):

[HIDE_OBJECT_0]
NAME=DRIVER:GEO_Driver_FACE
[HIDE_OBJECT_1]
NAME=DRIVER:HELMET_1975_SUB0
[HIDE_OBJECT_2]
NAME=DRIVER:HELMET_1975_SUB1
[HIDE_OBJECT_3]
NAME=DRIVER:HELMET_1975_SUB2
[HIDE_OBJECT_4]
NAME=DRIVER:HELMET_1975_SUB3

Each driver's head has different components (60's driver model has goggles, for example), so, in order to change a driver model, also copy these HIDE_OBJECTS accordingly.
Cheers!

I originally started building this in Race Track Builder but was having some issues with accuracy so I found that rfactor track and decided to build off that one instead. Race Track Builder comes with a template you can use for all the data files for the track and I just used that. It looks like I forgot to edit the sections :D Thanks!

I tried a few different mountain backdrops that I ripped from other tracks but I figured if I was going to release something I didn't want to use one of those so I adapted the one that i extracted from the track's rfactor skyboxi instead. I had to mess with the colors and levels in photoshop to make them somewhat presentable but yeah, they are pretty bad. And I tried for hours to get rid of the black line at the top that ends up drawing a circle around the top of the alpha, but just couldn't get it. I suspect that i simply made it too big, because the line isn't visible when you're close to the perimeter, but if you turn around you can see it on the other side.

The big screens I also had some trouble with, the white screen seems to be flickering through to the back side but that's only seen when you're really far away from it. Also I've found that when setting objects that have flat sides to "CAST_SHADOWS=1" it creates a moire pattern that flickers and looks bad, but I felt it looked even worse to have them not cast any shadows at all. It's a weird thing I don't know how to overcome yet.

Is this like a dark moire pattern on the ground? I was having trouble with kseditor setting "CAST_SHADOWS=1" to road objects after saving them as false in the editor. I would even go in to the ini file itself and change it, but if I saved with kseditor it would bring it back. I thought I had solved all of the instances where ground objects were set to cast shadows but I probably missed a few.

The tools I've been using are 3dsimed to separate, rename and retexture stuff, as well as dropping the cones and AC timing elements, exporting as FBX and going into kseditor to put together the finishing touches, apply shadows to appropriate objects, test lighting and specularity and stuff. A lot of this was trial and error.

I live out here in Utah and I agree, that track is like, the flattest driving surface in the area this side of the salt flats. We have such cool canyon roads to drive on, but the guy that had the track built is some local rich dude (owner of the Jazz and a bunch of car dealerships) and had it built at first just as a playground for him and his friends but it ballooned into a whole facility that could be used for real racing. Ford used it as their official racing school a few years back and if you bought a mustang, Focus ST, or Fiesta ST you got a free day of HPDE at the track as long as you could get yourself there, so I think a lot of the corners (and those yellow sticks on most of the kerbs) are geared towards teaching better race driving, like there's a bunch of complicated corners on the track specifically to teach that kind of thing.

Screenshot_wec_porsche_rs_spyder_evo_gb_utah_motorsports_campus_8-5-120-4-46-53.jpg

These are the black shapes I have. any ideas?

Found a nice further update to ACF's update of Brasilia on some semi-random FB search. This track has a lot of flags and it looks like they've been converted to use the new flag shader. Seems like the updater (Ewan Huzami) has 'borrowed' a few of my balloons (probably from the RD balloon fiesta pack) as well as a couple of other pieces from recent tracks.
Anyway, it's always been a nice track but seems a little bit better now. No idea why he didn't do a grass update to grassFX while he was at it though. Paging @slider666 ..!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ro7o460keyii64y/acf_brasilia.7z/file

Shame the pit lane Ai line wasn't fixed along with the other nice updates. The cars still head out onto the main straight, then swing over to the left and slow down to half speed. It gets ugly when you're heading down the straight at VMAX and another car sudden;y leaves the pits and gets onto the straight just in front of you. Kaboom! Excuse me sir!

Shame the pit lane Ai line wasn't fixed along with the other nice updates. The cars still head out onto the main straight, then swing over to the left and slow down to half speed. It gets ugly when you're heading down the straight at VMAX and another car sudden;y leaves the pits and gets onto the straight just in front of you. Kaboom! Excuse me sir!

Hmm...

Ema
New update of this Valencia Ricardo Tormo Circuit, named release candidate1.... please test it and report bugs, thank you.

mediafire.com file/3vpf4vdjb99i4wi/ValenciaRT.RC1.zip/file

I try to correct previous bugs, also reported here by many of you, and add something, like a working start lights.
Unfortunately i dont know how to fix the hotlap time issue..... if someone can help me, i would be grateful.

Also i would like to add crowd with camera facing, but i cant make it works :(.... maybe @Jimlloyd can help me?
View attachment 898802

Here is the hotlap fix for this nice track.
Simply put the kn5 and models.ini in valenciart track folder.

WARNING: if it leads to mismatch online, edit models.ini and remove this section(put it back when you're offline)

[MODEL_10]
FILE=TIMER_HOTLAP.kn5
POSITION=0,0,0
ROTATION=0,0,0

@Ema : feel free to add it to your track.

Attachments

• valenciart_hotlapfix.zip
    5 KB · Views: 59
Just took a stab at it, I had it working but kept running into scaling problems so after an hour I gave up as it is worth no more time than that. Sorry

@ParanoidDoge

No worries mate - it's not your car that's the problem as it happens with Kunos' cars as well - I'm just so ***** at modding / painting things in this game.

They are really great, well most of them!
Check out ACFAN's sound mods aswell :lol:

I have almost all of ACFAN's sounds, was just wondering about these huge packs ahah Some Kunos sounds are a bit, let's say, "un-engaging". That 458 GT2 sometimes remind me of the GranTurismo vacuum sounds :(

Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back