Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter daan
  • 136,846 comments
Hi Guys, dont know who the author is but i have got a nice track that i like/found its a fantasy track called union track,.. but the ffb is rubbish and it need some upgrade can somebody help me with this track and make it like all others,...

this is the link:
http://assettomods.com/union-ring/

That's a track from Gilles75. Well, at least he made the conversion from GTR2.
A long while ago @slider666 here has completely reworked it to a point where it is a very nice track.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...eral-discussion.307899/page-586#post-12908048

I have not checked if the version you linked is the same, but if it is, I wonder what's wrong with the FFB. Sliders' version feels fine on my OSW Simucube wheel.

Last edited:
What is the general opinion on quality of tommy78 car mods. Never driven any, wtcr from maki and delpinsky are excellent, so there was no need. But now, now he is doing a mod pack of the 1991 DTM, which includes my most wanted car of the period, the Audi quattro V8. It's a season pass for 5 cars (two of which are actually already in the game by Kunos, and are both excellent e190 and m3), so the price 15 eur is for 3 cars basically, the Audi, the Opel Omega and the Mustang. It is a bit much, but I don't mind paying 15 bucks for three cars if they are good quality, but I just don't know how good his cars are. Any feedback would be appreciated.

https://tpongracz.com/shop/ac-dtm-1991-season-pass/

That's a track from Gilles75. Well, at least he made the conversion from GTR2.
A long while ago @slider666 here has completely reworked it to a point where it is a very nice track.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...eral-discussion.307899/page-586#post-12908048

I have not checked if the version you linked is the same, but if it is, I wonder what's wriong with the FFB. Sliders' version feels fine on my OSW Simucube wheel.

Oh, japp it´s originally from Frasie:
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/union-ring.24561/

Just checked it´s not my reworked version. Seems to be the original gilles75 conversion. But didn´t verified that. :)

An update for my reworked version is still wip but as so many other things went in meanwhile, it´s still sleepin a bit in my famous drawer. ;)
Thx for reminding me, but could still take a while...

Question for experienced track modders... about testing new models in an existing track mod.

Okay, this appears to be a long post, but really, someone should be able to answer the question rather quickly. It's a go, or no go.
Maybe it's common practice, or no one's thought about this, you might try it out, and let me know.

I'm a "noob" to track mods, but not to 3D modeling (more below). I've provided the additional information below so you know I understand a lot of the "process" already.

The Question:
For testing purposes, if I import a track to 3Ds Max, create a new version of something, let's say the physical road mesh, match everything perfectly, export only this model (the road mesh, in segments for optimization), take it through KSEditor to apply shaders (a road mesh is hidden) and set other properties, and export it--if the model's name matches that of the same item or model that already exists in the track's KN5 file, then it's specified in the models.ini file, will it REPLACE the existing model when the track is loaded in AC? Does my additional model take priority? If using a models.ini file, does this have the capability to manage duplicates in a mod this way? Does it work, or throw errors?

I can test this myself when I get to that point, and of course, fully integrating changes to a track model, that's then exported to a KN5 (all together, or in parts managed by models.ini) is usually, ultimately the best solution. I know that a models.ini file can be used to specify a number of different models to be included when the track is loaded into AC's graphics engine, and this file includes coordinates and other parameters. The models.ini file can also be used in a variety of ways to mange variations of a track more efficiently as some of the same models are used each time, and to allow for things, like the road mesh, set up as a separate model, to be updated more efficiently, without having to re-export the whole model each time.

If this doesn't work, then yes, I understand the track's model (or parts of it for testing) will need to re-exported without "duplicate" models, configured in KSEditor, then exported for AC (basically).

I'd appreciate answers and suggestions here, or you can provide links that you think will provide what I need.

Additional info...

About me: I am an experienced 3D modeler, mostly using 3Ds Max to develop models to be imported into Unreal Engine, and for more complex models for 3D printing and product part production, usually more advanced than what can be done with an "engineering-based" program like Fusion360. I am a "polygon-based" modeler, rather than relying on clean-looking step files. Though they look "perfect," step files generate horrible polygon modeling, hidden beneath that smooth-looking skin. This often generates errors when a complicated model is used for 3D printing, production, and animation. Sometimes they work, but they often produce strange results, and you have no idea what's going on. With my models, I can see an anomaly, know exactly what is causing it, and correct it. I use advanced smoothing techniques to create clean, error-free models, better and more reliable than what can be achieved with a step file. Proper UVW mapping for high quality renders and animations for investors and customers--you really need a good polygon model anyway.

As for track modding, when I have the time, I'm just getting into creating models and mods for Assetto Corsa, and learning what is required to export, optimize, and all the other requirements specific to Assetto Corsa. I have links to several tutorials and information for AC track modding, and have scanned through them to return when I get to a specific task. I can open and review existing mods in 3Ds Max, and I understand the naming conventions, scaling, using KSeditor, etc... just haven't reached the point of actually doing any of that yet.

So, I'm approaching this as a 3D modeler, that wants to create AC mods, rather than someone that wants to create mods, then has to learn how to use 3D modeling software... if you understand what I mean. In some ways, I'm "ahead of the game" but I still have some things to learn, specific to AC, and that knowledge may need to be "updated" as the UI (Content Manager) and graphics engine mods or patches are updated and improved.

As for my sim-racing experience, I've pretty much been there from the start, using a paddle controller on an Atari to steer a block at the bottom center of the screen through the center of two sets of flowing rectangles--Night Driver. I played the first version of Gran Turismo for four days straight--I had the Japanese release on day one, months before the US release. Today, of course, we've come a LOOOOONG way since then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for experienced track modders... about testing new models in an existing track mod.

Okay, this appears to be a long post, but really, someone should be able to answer the question rather quickly. It's a go, or no go.
Maybe it's common practice, or no one's thought about this, you might try it out, and let me know.

I'm a "noob" to track mods, but not to 3D modeling (more below). I've provided the additional information below so you know I understand a lot of the "process" already.

The Question:
For testing purposes, if I import a track to 3Ds Max, create a new version of something, let's say the physical road mesh, match everything perfectly, export only this model (the road mesh, in segments for optimization), take it through KSEditor, and export it--if the model's name matches that of the same item or model that already exists in the track's KN5 file, then it's specified in the models.ini file, will it REPLACE the existing model when the track is loaded in AC? Does my additional model take priority? If using a models.ini file, does this have the capability to manage duplicates in a mod this way? Does it work, or throw errors?

I can test this myself when I get to that point, and of course, fully integrating changes to a track model, that's then exported to a KN5 (all together, or in parts managed by models.ini) is usually, ultimately the best solution. I know that a models.ini file can be used to specify a number of different models to be included when the track is loaded into AC's graphics engine, and this file includes coordinates and other parameters. The models.ini file can also be used in a variety of ways to mange variations of a track more efficiently as some of the same models are used each time, and to allow for things, like the road mesh, set up as a separate model, to be updated more efficiently, without having to re-export the whole model each time.

If this doesn't work, then yes, I understand the track's model (or parts of it for testing) will need to re-exported without "duplicate" models, configured in KSEditor, then exported for AC (basically).

I'd appreciate answers and suggestions here, or you can provide links that you think will provide what I need.

Additional info...
Nope, imo you have to hide or delete the original one. Delete if possible, hide if impossible (Kunos tracks for example). You can hide meshes with config and load instead other kn5 files. Highlands config for example uses this to hide some buildings and load some new ones with lights. I used that too a lot, if I don´t get contact to original author asking for permissions etc.
Just now at Jyllandsringen posted a few pages back... :)

If you need, want more help, @norms is more the one here using 3Ds Max too. I´m more on the bright *cough* blender side of life... ;)
PM me if ya like. :)

View attachment 918792

These are the Black shapes I have, any ideas?

Yeah someone on RD reported this too and I messed around and found that if you have "Settings -> Custom Shaders Patch -> General Patch Settings -> GPU Optimizations -> Optimize Meshes Some More" that you get those black spots. I'm going to mess with it a bit and see if I can overcome that issue, but in the mean time disabling that should fix it. I notice no performance difference with that enabled or not.

The Question: For testing purposes, if I import a track to 3Ds Max, create a new version of something, let's say the physical road mesh, match everything perfectly, export only this model (the road mesh, in segments for optimization), take it through KSEditor, and export it--if the model's name matches that of the same item or model that already exists in the track's KN5 file, then it's specified in the models.ini file, will it REPLACE the existing model when the track is loaded in AC? Does my additional model take priority? If using a models.ini file, does this have the capability to manage duplicates in a mod this way? Does it work, or throw errors?

AFAIR you will get a duplicate even if you match the names, it won't cause any errors as such. I've done this before by accident, not sure if it would crash vanilla AC as I've used CSP for as long as I can remember. If you use the CSP extension function you can replace the model in the track with your revision with just a few lines of code.

EDIT: beaten by @slider666 :cheers:

Nope, imo you have to hide or delete the original one. Delete if possible, hide if impossible (Kunos tracks for example). You can hide meshes with config and load instead other kn5 files. Highlands config for example uses this to hide some buildings and load some new ones with lights. I used that too a lot, if I don´t get contact to original author asking for permissions etc.
Just now at Jyllandsringen posted a few pages back... :)

If you need, want more help, @norms is more the one here using 3Ds Max too. I´m more on the bright *cough* blender side of life... ;)
PM me if ya like. :)

Okay, so if I understand, in order to do this, you must specify in the config file to hide the model by name that you're replacing, then the "replacement" will work, when the new model is configured to load?

AFAIR you will get a duplicate even if you match the names, it won't cause any errors as such. I've done this before by accident, not sure if it would crash vanilla AC as I've used CSP for as long as I can remember. If you use the CSP extension function you can replace the model in the track with your revision with just a few lines of code.

EDIT: beaten by @slider666 :cheers:

Can you, or someone, provide an example of the few lines of code that would be useful for this, and include the correct config or ini files where these need to be applied?

I'm new in this forum and I have a question with the content manager. Is it possible to create subfolders for cars and tracks?
Becaus after a while I get a bit disorientad with all the stuff I have in there.

Okay, so if I understand, in order to do this, you must specify in the config file to hide the model by name that you're replacing, then the "replacement" will work, when the new model is configured to load?
This here is the code to do that:
Code:
[MODEL_REPLACEMENT_...]
ACTIVE = 1
DESCRIPTION = hide some objects like huge billboards and insert some others
INSERT=xxx.kn5
INSERT_AFTER=xxx
FILE = xxx.kn5
HIDE = xxx

Or as mentioned, even better, delete old mesh.

I never got in touch how to get the right INSERT_AFTER. Never needed till now. :)
To be sure I also don´t use exact same names for new meshes. Could cause weird issues. Not when deleting old one before, but when inserting with config and or model.ini obviously. :)

Edit: Lol, we are here beaten each other @norms.... ;)

Can you, or someone, provide an example of the few lines of code that would be useful for this, and include the correct config or ini files where these need to be applied?

Create/modify either of these files depending on your preference:

..\assettocorsa\extension\config\tracks\loaded\track_name.ini
..\assettocorsa\extension\config\tracks\track_name.ini
..\assettocorsa\content\tracks\track_name\extenstion\ext_config.ini

add these lines:

[MODEL_REPLACEMENT_1]
FILE = track_name.kn5
INSERT = track_name_your_extras.kn5
INSERT_AFTER = object_name
HIDE = object_name_to_hide

This only 1 technique, there are others. This way you need the kn5 file in the same folder as your ini file.

I'm sure @slider666 can point out any discrepancies here.

EDIT:

Ah man I am too slow today, but there you go I'm sure you can figure it out now lol

What is the general opinion on quality of tommy78 car mods. Never driven any, wtcr from maki and delpinsky are excellent, so there was no need. But now, now he is doing a mod pack of the 1991 DTM, which includes my most wanted car of the period, the Audi quattro V8. It's a season pass for 5 cars (two of which are actually already in the game by Kunos, and are both excellent e190 and m3), so the price 15 eur is for 3 cars basically, the Audi, the Opel Omega and the Mustang. It is a bit much, but I don't mind paying 15 bucks for three cars if they are good quality, but I just don't know how good his cars are. Any feedback would be appreciated.

3 cars for 15 euros is a massive steal when you compare it to Kunos' DLC:

Porsche Pack 1: 5€ for 7 cars (0.71€ per car).
Porsche Pack 2: 5€ for 9 cars (0.55€ per car).
Porsche Pack 3: 5€ for 8 cars (0.62€ per car).
The entire Porsche Pack: 15€ for 24 cars (0.62€ per car).
Tripl3 Pack: 1.99€ for 3 cars (0.66€ per car).
Dream Pack 1: 7€ for 10 cars + 4 in 1 track (0.50€ per car/track).
Dream Pack 2: 7€ for 8 cars + 2 in 1 track (0.70€ per car/track).
Dream Pack 3: 7€ for 8 cars + 2 in 1 track (0.70€ per car/track).
Ready 2 Race Pack: 5€ for 10 cars (0.50€ per car).
Japanese Pack: 5€ for 7 cars (0.71€ per car).
Red Pack: 7€ for 7 cars and 2 in 1 track (0.55€ per car/track).
Ferrari 70th Anniversary Pack: 7€ for 7 cars (1.00€ per car).

You can also get high quality free mods on certain websites, such as Race Department and ASR Formula. Assettoland is doable.

Trust me, it's not worth the money. You'll pay 5€ per car. Don't even bother.

Last edited:

I was pretty interested when I saw this as well, but two things have put me off.

Firstly as you've spotted, there's the fact that they're charging money for a bundle that is 40% Kunos content. Then there's the fact that the only free cars that are available for test on the website are an Audi TT Cup, again Kunos content and a Seat Leon Eurocup. Having downloaded the Eurocup, it has the author listed as Shaun Clarke... (1)

Also, seriously, a season pass? Seriously? I barely trust a multi million dollar games company to deliver on future content, now we're supposed to hand over money to some random guy for 'potential' future content?

(1) EDIT: I've done a bit more research now and will have a side serving of cream with my slice of humble pie, seems that the Seat Leon was originally done by tommy78 and then worked on by Shaun Clarke with his permission. I'll stick by my points about the Kunos content and season pass as they still seem ridiculous to me, but apologies about the initial post criticising the guy for the Seat, I was being an ignorant fool.

Last edited:
I'm new in this forum and I have a question with the content manager. Is it possible to create subfolders for cars and tracks?
Becaus after a while I get a bit disorientad with all the stuff I have in there.
Unfortunately no. This is how I rename my cars as a workaround, I'm happy with it.
upload_2020-5-8_18-19-28.png

3 cars for 15 euros is a massive steal when you compare it to Kunos' DLC:

Porsche Pack 1: 5€ for 7 cars (0.71€ per car).
Porsche Pack 2: 5€ for 9 cars (0.55€ per car).
Porsche Pack 3: 5€ for 8 cars (0.62€ per car).
The entire Porsche Pack: 15€ for 24 cars (0.62€ per car).

You can also get high quality free mods on certain websites, such as Race Department and ASR Formula. Assettoland is also doable.

Trust me, it's not worth the money. You'll pay 5€ per car. Don't even bother.
That spreadsheet tho. Holy crap! Thanks for doing that! :embarrassed:

I paid for his F40LM and Opel Omega and I think he make amazing mods (his F40LM is much better than the version you can download on assettoland for example).
Opel Omega is also excellent, i'm also waiting for Audi V8 dtm and mustang Dtm.
Excellent 3d, textures, physics, sounds are pretty good, skins etc ...
Yes it's maybe expensive but I think this is worth the money spent.
For example DRM mod is 15€ for 10 cars, I also paid for it, it's a good mod but quality is not at the same level than tommy78 mods ...

First batch of the best chicane ever done at Monza in modern history...

I have widened the space, from 9m to 10m with mine, to not have a destruction derby with AI lol
I will need help with the AI after, btw.

View attachment 918897 View attachment 918898

For the chicane, if i remind well you can choose if the AI could hit the wall or not, don't know if you see what i mean
GzeroD could explain it better than me, he does something like this for the monaco 75 chicane du port
So, you, as a driver, you see the wall (armco in our case) and want to avoid to hit it but the ai if touch the armco go though it and no destruction derby :)

GzeroD

Last edited:
I know, It's in the Wall, Road collision, I will probalby put the rails in collision but not the small grass bank.
if I remind well, you have already made the "variante ascari" so your track is almost finished actually with the "variante" chicane after the main straight line?
Really impatient to test it!
With monaco 1975, it's a layout that i love the most in racing game and wish to drive on, one day, thanks to you and GZeroD, both are made possible, thanks a lot, for all your good work mates!

Hey guys. Computer is fried (don’t feel bad, it was really old), so no updates for a while from me. Switching to my less capable laptop for most at-home related things, so no Assetto for a while. I will get a new computer and attempt to salvage what I can from the old one once the global crisis is resolved. For now, I'm going back to Gran Turismo to get my racing fix while I await a replacement.

Last edited:
Do you think, all the collection of 1988's track worth to be reworked in term of textures, billboards etc?
Or they do not worth the time and work it represent?
I ask because I do not play them so i don't know them.
A fresh coat of paint won't do any harm, and they're pretty good already.
I think most of the tracks are pretty accurate in layouts too, the only really bad one being Silverstone, which ironically should be the easiest of all the tracks to make. :D

Hey guys. Computer is fried (don’t feel bad, it was really old), so no updates for a while from me. Switching to my less capable laptop for most at-home related things, so no Assetto for a while. I will get a new computer and attempt to salvage what I can from the old one once the global crisis is resolved. For now, I'm going back to Gran Turismo to get my racing fix while I await a replacement.
Damn, sorry to hear that man :(

Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back