Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter daan
  • 137,503 comments
Why on earth didn't I do this before? Because every now and then I have the brains to split the ears and I forgot to do it 😥😂
Oh boy, that feeling will happen many more times, I can guarantee you this.

a few personal tips on that :
  • If you use blender, when baking : do it pretty big first, like bake at 4k for a 2k texture in the end. Strangely, it doesn't just improve detail quality, but also precision. Compared to a 2k baking, it will appear more precise on the object borders. Yep, it takes quite longer to do, but the reward is good. I don't know for 3Ds or Maya but I could expect the same behavior.
  • Expect artifacts if the UV are too close to each others. Better have a few more pixels between them in a smaller image than an enormously heavy texture with tiny errors in it. It's an easy to avoid mistake, just better keep it in mind
  • Like I said, compression is the enemy. Not because it's bad, but because it behave like a c*nt. The closer to full black/white the worst it is. There is no secret ingredient to it (known to me...), but a little helper is to apply a b/w neutral filter on your AO texture (with photoshop for example) before exporting it to dds and using/modifying it. It will remove the purple/green weirdos which commonly appears in the bright to grey/grey to dark transition area. Again, the bigger the base image, the better, but the harsher the compression can appear on the final result.

I'm 100% certain that sounded much more poetic in Italian :D
Yes is a way of saying to specify that someone has a brain, but doesn't use it. So it sits there, all alone, between his ears. LOL

• If you use blender, when baking : do it pretty big first, like bake at 4k for a 2k texture in the end. Strangely, it doesn't just improve detail quality, but also precision. Compared to a 2k baking, it will appear more precise on the object borders. Yep, it takes quite longer to do, but the reward is good. I don't know for 3Ds or Maya but I could expect the same behavior.
  • Expect artifacts if the UV are too close to each others. Better have a few more pixels between them in a smaller image than an enormously heavy texture with tiny errors in it. It's an easy to avoid mistake, just better keep it in mind
  • Like I said, compression is the enemy. Not because it's bad, but because it behave like a c*nt. The closer to full black/white the worst it is. There is no secret ingredient to it (known to me...), but a little helper is to apply a b/w neutral filter on your AO texture (with photoshop for example) before exporting it to dds and using/modifying it. It will remove the purple/green weirdos which commonly appears in the bright to grey/grey to dark transition area. Again, the bigger the base image, the better, but the harsher the compression can appear on the final result.
Sore point: with Blender I've always had problems baking AO maps. In fact I have to adapt to those generated by the CM, even if not the best as I understand it. This makes my job a little more tedious but at least I'm sure that a complete AO map definitely comes out of the CM. Then it must be said that sometimes I look for the quickest way even if it is less elegant (not because I am in a hurry but because I always try to do what will almost certainly lead me to a result).

But I have good news: with the CSP Brakes I have solved most of the braking problems and simulated, in theory, the braking system actually used.

Sore point: with Blender I've always had problems baking AO maps. In fact I have to adapt to those generated by the CM, even if not the best as I understand it. This makes my job a little more tedious but at least I'm sure that a complete AO map definitely comes out of the CM. Then it must be said that sometimes I look for the quickest way even if it is less elegant (not because I am in a hurry but because I always try to do what will almost certainly lead me to a result).
Well, that'll works too. The main difference is that CM isolate the object to bake the AO, and tend to render a more constrasted result (more black/white, less values of grey). But it does the trick, too. Baking with Blender is... how to say it elegantly... a pain. In the chair-seater. Anything other than the AO always seems different than expected. And everything takes hours.

Well, that'll works too. The main difference is that CM isolate the object to bake the AO, and tend to render a more constrasted result (more black/white, less values of grey). But it does the trick, too. Baking with Blender is... how to say it elegantly... a pain. In the chair-seater. Anything other than the AO always seems different than expected. And everything takes hours.
I did some tests. I brought all the AO maps to 512x512 and fixed some that were excessively large for their purpose (color only, brought to 32x32).

On the left is the version with the scaled textures, on the right the one without scaling. I don't notice any differences, so I believe the change will become effective.

The size went from over 200 MB (I don't remember the precise value) to 140 MB. It is still beyond the recommended maximum, but there are a lot of textures because unfortunately I didn't group the 3d elements efficiently. Better than nothing I guess.

Yes you could lighten the main LOD by 100mb easily.
And I did. The main lod went from 270 megs to 166 😎

Attachments

• 1709217092812.png
    1709217092812.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 1709217160273.png
    1709217160273.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Thank you for answering me. Unfortunately I realized that I have a lot of textures that are excessively (and unnecessarily) large in size, so I have to do a bit of optimization. :cheers:

Why on earth didn't I do this before? Because every now and then I have the brains to split the ears and I forgot to do it 😥😂
Yes you could lighten the main LOD by 100mb easily.

If anyone is interested in F1 extras
__custom_showroom_1709219940.png

Attachments

• MCL37_4_Norris_2024_ac_crew.png
    MCL37_4_Norris_2024_ac_crew.png
    360.6 KB · Views: 10
  • W14_63_Russell_2024_ac_crew.png
    W14_63_Russell_2024_ac_crew.png
    255.3 KB · Views: 10
  • FW44_23_Albon_2024_ac_crew.png
    FW44_23_Albon_2024_ac_crew.png
    296.7 KB · Views: 9
  • AT04_3_Ricciardo_2024_ac_crew.png
    AT04_3_Ricciardo_2024_ac_crew.png
    189.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Sauber_24_ZHOU_2024_ac_crew.png
    Sauber_24_ZHOU_2024_ac_crew.png
    254.5 KB · Views: 11
  • RB20_1_24_Verstappen_ac_crew.png
    RB20_1_24_Verstappen_ac_crew.png
    337.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Yeah, no offense to ChemFlummi because the work he does is awesome. But was his GT4 project really necessary? I thought the Guerilla cars were good enough for what they were and now here's another talented mod creator wasting their time making alternate versions of cars we already have.

C.F. has had so many other way more interesting projects on the backburner for years now. a Ford GT GT3, a 458 Italia GT3, the Corvette C6.R, but I suppose we need an entire new take on the ACC GT4 port for Assetto Corsa instead when we've already had that for a while now.

I'm sure his GT4 cars will be better than the GUE cars of course, but like man, again another case of a talented modder or mod team spending their time doing duplicate projects instead of working on something that hasn't been done before. I know what mod teams work on isn't democratic but AC is getting old and it'd be nice to see a bit more variety before we finish up here. I'm just so tired of duplicate modern GT cars personally.
Wow....wait a minute.... i think you misunderstand something with the GT4s and @Chem_Flummi . 😵

@Chem_Flummi had worked on the Guerilla Mods GT4 Pack, he didn't worked on an own GT4 package. He helped us a lot on the cars to rework the complete physics on the GT4s and he reworked all the cars with optical improvements. He reworked for all cars the complete extension config files. He had never mentioned that he is working on his own GT4 package.
He offered us his help to bring all the GT4 cars to the same visual level and we are really very grateful that he took the time to do it and offered himself for it. The fact that @Chem_Flummi put his own projects on the back burner has my greatest thanks and respect. Nobody asked @Chem_Flummi to improve the look of all the GT4 so much, but he wanted to do it and did it in an incredibly short time. At first we talked about, that he will help us to rework the extensions and the cars, but he was suddenly so in the flow that he said he would finish all the cars now.
But now that he has finished his work on the GT4, he will go back to his own projects and continue working on it.

Last edited:
Formula Mazda LODs.

thanks!

in return here a repack of all the skins I had installed, with matching crew and driver helmets (so they are not all the same colors anymore)

Where do I find a b/w neutral filter in Photoshop? (menu) (please :))

As a layman in the field, I have always wondered how it's possible that mods with an impressive appearance and full of detail are not difficult to handle by the computer and that other mods of much lower quality are insatiable devourers of fps...

After reading these latest conversations about optimization I'm beginning to understand a little more why, and my admiration for modders continues to grow, and above all, for those who share their work selflessly. Thank you all very much, once again.

(Kiss Ass Mode, off)

@DaWallace I'm always a little bit confused by the Guerilla mods. For example regarding the GT4 pack, do I keep on eye on the guerilla-mods.de forum for updates, or should I look at the patreon site? The Patreon seems to have a much higher version number than the forum.

Where do I find a b/w neutral filter in Photoshop? (menu) (please :))
If it's a whole image then the simplest way is to convert the image to Grayscale, and then back to RGB mode. i.e Image>Mode>Grayscale and then same but RGB.
Alternately you can use a Black & White Adjustment, which offers more choices and adjustments. Adjustments can of course be applied to individual layers. Sometimes that's important, most of the time a simple back and forth does the trick.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 18.14.43.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 18.14.43.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 18.15.13.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 18.15.13.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 8
If it's a whole image then the simplest way is to convert the image to Grayscale, and then back to RGB mode. i.e Image>Mode>Grayscale and then same but RGB.
Alternately you can use a Black & White Adjustment, which offers more choices and adjustments. Adjustments can of course be applied to individual layers. Sometimes that's important, most of the time a simple back and forth does the trick.
I had been working on an issue of strange green color banding on the Ferrari 296 skins I just did. The RGB->Greyscale->RGB worked well for me but not doing it on the AO base layer but on a layer I used as grey paint (although it incorporated the AO). Same thing I guess. Anyway it worked. There's still a small amount of dispersed green in it, but way way less. I will update those 296 skins (posted here) today.
- I'm thinking to run that process on everything/layer that doesn't have color. Could even do it just the greyscale part of an image containing color. Hmmmm...

Before - After
Thanks for the tip!
cf_ferrari_296_gt3_Paint-Fix.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 1332713

Hi everyone.
Does anyone know if there is a way to put the safety net of the McLaren 720 GT3 Evo (version: mclaren_720_gt3_acc) in the correct position?
add this to your ext_config:

[MODEL_REPLACEMENT_...]
FILE=mclaren_720s_gt3.kn5, mclaren_720s_gt3_lodb.kn5, mclaren_720s_gt3_lodc.kn5, mclaren_720s_gt3_lodd.kn5, mclaren_720s_gt3_lod_b.kn5, mclaren_720s_gt3_lod_c.kn5, mclaren_720s_gt3_lod_d.kn5
HIDE=Object-002

pretty sure this sorts it out by removing it

if you want in the right place i think you will need to do that in 3d afaik

maybe someone knows more than me on this but that's all i know of

Last edited:
@sab001 yep, typical example of a compression going rogue. the b/w filter trick works but wont do everything, it just helps removing the color artifacts from gray values.

Like Leopard said ninja'ly, menu above layers, adjustment, black and white filter, no other changes needed. You can then zone it by erasing parts from the mask, if you want. For a whole image, menu image/mode also does it.

Still working on my side. Did you update CM and Simplygon to the latest versions?
Grüße in die Pfalz.
I allways updated it in the past in this state. But now there is now download available anymore. You need to request a Eval License before. Form needs Infos i don't want to give.

Good luck that you license stays active for longer.

View attachment 1332713

Hi everyone.
Does anyone know if there is a way to put the safety net of the McLaren 720 GT3 Evo (version: mclaren_720_gt3_acc) in the correct position?
@Breanuts posted a fix a while ago that might help:

@DaWallace I'm always a little bit confused by the Guerilla mods. For example regarding the GT4 pack, do I keep on eye on the guerilla-mods.de forum for updates, or should I look at the patreon site? The Patreon seems to have a much higher version number than the forum.
I would say Patreon. Because all our mod downloads are on patreon and so this is the first adress for the latest versions. Otherwise all our mods are in the autoupdater from CM and if we update a mod, it will automatically updated via CM, normally...but sometimes the autoupdater from CM is bugged.

Unfortunately, we currently don't have anyone who moderates and updates the forum consistently and regularly, which is why there are always differences between the version numbers. I always try to look there regularly, but unfortunately I don't always manage to do so due to lack of time.

add this to your ext_config:

[MODEL_REPLACEMENT_...]
FILE=mclaren_720s_gt3.kn5, mclaren_720s_gt3_lodb.kn5, mclaren_720s_gt3_lodc.kn5, mclaren_720s_gt3_lodd.kn5, mclaren_720s_gt3_lod_b.kn5, mclaren_720s_gt3_lod_c.kn5, mclaren_720s_gt3_lod_d.kn5
HIDE=Object-002

pretty sure this sorts it out by removing it

if you want in the right place i think you will need to do that in 3d afaik

maybe someone knows more than me on this but that's all i know of
I had the same issue a while back, just updating to a newer CSP fixed it.

I can't wait for that Mosler GT3 and Saleen S7.R Evo to be finish and who knows what Zin has cooking up next.
Unfortunately, I have to say that the Mosler will need more time. I have the next exam coming up in May, which I've been preparing for again since the beginning of the year and therefore have less time for modding. But I still try to keep up with it. Thats the reason why the progress on the Mosler is this slow.😓

Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back