Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter Paiky
  • 134,311 comments
hmm... and how do you recon we do that?
Seems there is no option to turn off automatic updates ... (or is there a way?)

View attachment 1370268
Yesterday after a month of non AC, I did open CM to load some mods. Before I know the “pro-China” update was installed. Did try AC but everything was working great, found no Issues. For me it’s not a real problem, as I never sim race in China or Taiwan.

Edit: check out this posting, because seeing the sXXtload 💩 I received from some members, they do not get what I’m talking about, while I think this is serious interference from China to the free world, all being facilitating by Steam:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/assetto-corsa-pc-mods-general-discussion.307899/post-14286246

Last edited:
For those who may not have seen it, I just thought I'd draw attention to this fantastic beast from Legion. And a big thanks to him for it too. It's a handful, but it sure does make my fizzy bits fizz! (*Clean underwear may be required after driving at high speed.)

Last edited:
I've downloaded some of the fantastic track texture updates by ClimaxF1 in the last time. :bowdown:

But as the DDS files are uncompressed, they really need too much disc space and the installation with content manager just doubles the needed disc space. As I see absolutely no difference between uncompressed and compressed track textures in a racing game, so I was looking for an easy way to batch convert these DDS files to DXT5 without mipmaps to save 75% of the disc space. But none of the normal graphics programs like GIMP, PAINT.NET or IRFANVIEW has a function to batch convert DDS files.

After some search a found the tool "ImageMagick", that does a batch conversion of DDS files. But you have to do it with a command line or a BAT-file.

First install the program on your PC, then create a new TXT-file and copy the following text to it and save it.

C:\Programs\ImageMagick-7.1.1-Q16-HDRI\magick mogrify -format dds -define dds:mipmaps=0 -define dds:compression=dtx5 *.dds

(Note: "C:\Programs\ImageMagick-7.1.1-Q16-HDRI" has to be the installation path on your personal PC. Maybe, you have to change it, if you have installed ImageMagick somewhere else)

In the next step you have to rename the TXT-File to something like "convert_dds.bat" (or what you like).
If your TXT-File has no .txt extension, you have to activate "show file extensions for known file types" in Windows Explorer first.

Now you can copy the BAT-file to the folder with the uncompressed DDS-files and start it with a double-click. The conversion process can take some time, if there are a lot of DDS-files in the folder. Of course you can also use the BAT-file in skin folders with large uncompressed car skin DDS-files. (do we really need a single skin folder with more than 300 MB in a racing game like AC? This means 9 GB for a field with 30 cars).

If you want to create the DDS-files with mipmaps, just change "dds:mipmaps=0" to "dds:mipmaps=1" in the BAT-file. This increases the resulting file size by 25% and I don't think, that the game needs mipmaps any more as they are automatically created at the start of a race. But maybe someone else has more information about that. By the way RSS doesn't use mipmaps for their skins anymore.

I hope this helps a little bit to save some of the limited disc space on your SSD and will increase the performance of the game on low end PCs.
cool, a good step to save even more space... but I would love to be able to use this on a folder (and finally on the whole content\tracks folder) to have it convert all DDS which aren't already compressed in that folder AND ALL SUBFOLDERS...
right now the batch file would only take the *.DDS files in the folder where you run the batch file.

Anyone here can write the batchfile to recursively go over all subfolders too ? (out of my league)

after having gone through all 23 skin directories of the (fw_clio_cup_5_2024) mod, running the batch file in each skin folder to compress the DDS (btw saving a whooping 1GB of diskspace on this 1 car mod alone by compressing the dds files and then using compactor!)
I would like to repeat my question in hopes someone can pull it off ...

Anyone knows how to rewrite the batch file to recursively have the compress command go over every subfolder of the folder you run the batchfile in?

This would save hundreds of Gigabytes of diskspace (and the need for me to replace an SSD with a bigger one, as all my M.2 slots are already filled) , but I do not want to do this manually 1by1 on thousands of skin folders ...

another car that would be good to see would be the new Honda Civic FL5
Do you mean this?

1720262096530.png

1720262125224.png

Last edited:
after having gone through all 23 skin directories of the (fw_clio_cup_5_2024) mod, running the batch file in each skin folder to compress the DDS (btw saving a whooping 1GB of diskspace on this 1 car mod alone by compressing the dds files and then using compactor!)

Anyone knows how to rewrite the batch file to recursively have the compress command go over every subfolder of the folder you run the batchfile in?

This would save hundreds of Gigabytes of diskspace (and the need for me to replace an SSD with a bigger one, as all my M.2 slots are already filled) , but I do not want to do this manually 1by1 on thousands of skin folders ...
Disclaimer.
BE CAREFUL. Automated processing is cool 'n all, but there's a non-zero chance it goes wrong, and happily automates the destruction of your data. Make Backups (r) Make backups. <\cma>

I'm sure you know this and are smart. Saying it so that it doesn't come back to me :)

In fact, I suggest you try an innocuous command string like, well, nothing. Just run it as is, first. The batch file should just list finding a ui_skin.json file in each folder it iterates (ie Is this really a skin folder?) and then complete, and wait for you to view the results and press a key to dismiss the CMD window.

Rename attached file to .bat or .cmd

Good luck. May the force be with you :)

Sidebar: @ClimaxF1 is on FIRE lately. 👏 👏

Attachments

• skin_folder_iterator.txt
    511 bytes · Views: 2
Last edited:
Does anyone know why the Flight Department removed the Pascani track? I indicated the author and received his permission! :grumpy:
I know the answer to this one. You can't post other people's work without their permission even if you give them credit. I'm surprised you didn't get a notice explaining why it was removed. I tried to post my Le Mans 67 track there a month or so ago and it was pulled within a day with that explanation. I questioned it and pointed them to another resource where the creator used someone else's track without permission and was ignored. I guess they have selective rules over there. Some people can do what they want and some can't.

I had an interesting conversation with ClimaxF1 and Johnr777 at the Overtake AC forum some days ago.

The result is, that AC definetely creates mipmaps, if the dds file has none. Only the loading of a race will take a little bit longer. But if you save the dds file with BC7 (Linear, DX11+) compression for better quality and less distortions in the texture, you have to save the dds file WITH mipmaps, as AC can't create mipmaps for dds files with BC7 compression and will crash. Especially for car skins and windscreen textures where distortions are very noticable ingame, it's highly recommended (tip by Johnr777 and Peter Boese) to use BC7 (ALWAYS with mipmaps!!!) instead of DXT5.
But a batch conversion with "ImageMagick" is not possible with BC7 compression. It only supports DXT1 and DXT5 compression with or without mipmaps.

Last edited:
christoph waltz television GIF by Saturday Night Live

Oh, guess the Overtake bashing train is back again, noïce !

Guys, guys : don't try to understand. They are the ones who don't understand a thing about intellectual properties and copyrights, so it's panic at the disco everytime there is an even relatively close case of conflict, they fear those like hell and their bot (I only assume it's a bot, otherwise it doesn't make any sense) is triggered everytime something "could" be of trouble (even when it is definitely not). It's that, or a cat on the keyboard, maybe.

Not saying anything in your mod's description is actually safer than trying to explain. As Limp Bizkit once said : results may vary.

christoph waltz television GIF by Saturday Night Live

Oh, guess the Overtake bashing train is back again, noïce !

Guys, guys : don't try to understand. They are the ones who don't understand a thing about intellectual properties and copyrights, so it's panic at the disco everytime there is an even relatively close case of conflict, they fear those like hell and their bot (I only assume it's a bot, otherwise it doesn't make any sense) is triggered everytime something "could" be of trouble (even when it is definitely not). It's that, or a cat on the keyboard, maybe.

Not saying anything in your mod's description is actually safer than trying to explain. As Limp Bizkit once said : results may vary.
No bashing. Just stating facts. They removed one of my mods for a reason that I can point out multiple examples of people who did the same thing and their mods are still there. How is that bashing?

I'm having a blast with a Hot Wheels car mod "Hot wheels: Rivited" by Taro Kitano (Presumebly)
(on Rainmaker's new 1970 Oval which is awesome btw)

but the GEAR doesn't show correctly... even when shifting , it remains showing "000000" instead of the actual gear:
1720269159972.png

Any ideas how to fix?

This is what's in the digital_instruments.ini :

[ITEM_0]
PARENT=DISPLAY_DATA
POSITION=-0.0001,0.031,-0.001
TYPE=GEAR
SIZE=0.02
COLOR=170,170,170,255
INTENSITY=1.0
FONT=audi_vln
VERSION=2
ALIGN=CENTER

No bashing. Just stating facts. They removed one of my mods for a reason that I can point out multiple examples of people who did the same thing and their mods are still there. How is that bashing?
Oh relax, I'm just joking. Mostly because the same already happened to me. The De Tomaso P70 was removed because I stated explicitely that I took dimensions and shape references from a Kunos's car because parts were the actual same, and I couldn't see well on the reference pictures I had. I even sourced the original author as Kunos (and I didn't had to, it was just fair honesty).
If I had said nothing, It would still be there :rolleyes:
Happened also on a skinpack years earlier because... Well I don't know, I never did :lol:

I do 100% of my meshes myself for my cars now, no exception, but I would be curious of the reception there, sure they would still find whatever reasons for a removal hahaha

For me, RD/OT's rules has become a really fun running gag, so I don't post there anymore but still have my share of laughter

Last edited:
Disclaimer.
BE CAREFUL. Automated processing is cool 'n all, but there's a non-zero chance it goes wrong, and happily automates the destruction of your data. Make Backups (r) Make backups. <\cma>

I'm sure you know this and are smart. Saying it so that it doesn't come back to me :)

In fact, I suggest you try an innocuous command string like, well, nothing. Just run it as is, first. The batch file should just list finding a ui_skin.json file in each folder it iterates (ie Is this really a skin folder?) and then complete, and wait for you to view the results and press a key to dismiss the CMD window.

Rename attached file to .bat or .cmd

Good luck. May the force be with you :)

Sidebar: @ClimaxF1 is on FIRE lately. 👏 👏
hi Andre, many thanks , this is a very good step in the direction I wanna try to save a bunch more diskspace...

for some reason unknow to me, the command which works in the batch file when run in a skin folder, gives an error when put in your encapsulating code to do the command in each skin subfolder.

Here's the full batch code I use , including the command for compressing the dds:

@echo off
setlocal enabledelayedexpansion

echo Starting the processing of folders...

REM Iterate through each folder
for /d %%F in (*) do (
echo Checking folder: %%F
if exist "%%F\ui_skin.json" (
mogrify -format dds -define dds:mipmaps=0 -define dds:compression=dtx5 *.dds
) else (
echo ui_skin.json not found in %%F
)
)

echo Done processing all folders.
pause
but it's not working, giving an error about Invalid argument :
Starting the processing of folders...
Checking folder: jac0-1
mogrify: unable to open image '*.dds': Invalid argument @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/3596.
Checking folder: jac0-2
mogrify: unable to open image '*.dds': Invalid argument @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/3596.
Checking folder: jac0-3
Checking folder: jac0-4
Checking folder: jac0-5
Checking folder: jac0-6
Checking folder: Taro
Done processing all folders.
Press any key to continue . . .

Any idea?

hi Andre, many thanks , this is a very good step in the direction I wanna try to save a bunch more diskspace...

for some reason unknow to me, the command which works in the batch file when run in a skin folder, gives an error when put in your encapsulating code to do the command in each skin subfolder.

Here's the full batch code I use , including the command for compressing the dds:

but it's not working, giving an error about Invalid argument :

Any idea?
Yeah, so in the command line "mogrify -format dds -define dds:mipmaps=0 -define dds:compression=dtx5 +.dds" you're just specifying "+.dds", but the current (execution) folder is where the batch file is, and there are no DDS files there. You have the folder name in hand, in the var %%F soooo...

Try specifying "%%F\*.dds" (with the quotes) so the command line looks like this:

mogrify -format dds -define dds:mipmaps=0 -define dds:compression=dtx5 "%%F\*.dds"

Note: the GTP edit box sometimes likes the star char by itself and sometimes interprets it as "begin italics" so I replaced the offenders with +. I tried escaping them, but no go. Sorry if that's not clear. The command line is as it should be.

Last edited:
Update didn't reset any previews or UI files on my installation.
Hmm, that's weird. :confused:
Having done some more digging, it's not all the Kunos content, it's just the Kunos DLC content.
Do you have custom previews and/or made changes to the ui_car.json files?

Anyway I have rolled back a backup and changed the file creation date for the DLC ui_car files, so now my content list looks right again.
(not suffering from OCD at all... :D)
hmm... and how do you recon we do that?
Seems there is no option to turn off automatic updates ... (or is there a way?)

View attachment 1370268
I didn't have auto-update disabled either, that's why I ran into this 'issue' and was very annoyed seeing some of the content reset like it would with a Steam integrity check. As you can see above, this is not the case for everybody.

I retract my advise not to install the update as I now understand Steam apparently doesn't have a way to stop auto-updating. If anybody is not happy with the update, I have uploaded the 'original' and updated files, so you can pick and mix which files you want to return to their original state.
I found this post on Reddit with a possible 'solution', which I have implemented on my install. We'll see what the future brings. I would assume there's not going to be any more updates to AC, with ACE on the horizon...

Anybody capable of finding out what has actually changed to the ACS.exe and ACS_x64.exe files?

Yeah, so in the command line "mogrify -format dds -define dds:mipmaps=0 -define dds:compression=dtx5 +.dds" you're just specifying "+.dds", but the current (execution) folder is where the batch file is, and there are no DDS files there. You have the folder name in hand, in the var %%F soooo...

Try specifying "%%F\*.dds" (with the quotes) so the command line looks like this:

mogrify -format dds -define dds:mipmaps=0 -define dds:compression=dtx5 "%%F\*.dds"

Note: the GTP edit box sometimes likes the star char by itself and sometimes interprets it as "begin italics" so I replaced the offenders with +. I tried escaping them, but no go. Sorry if that's not clear. The command line is as it should be.
Thanks, works now. It only goes 1 level deep, but that's fine (I can compress all dds in a car mod skins folder with 1 batch file now, and doing this for all folders in content in 1 go would be too risky anyway I guess... ).
Now this batch file I can run in any newly installed car mod folder, to save extra space.

Cheers and thanks again!

In real life NO RACE was held in turkey in 2023. So no need to undo nothing man.
Oh. I thought it was from the 2023 race because it was posted on Youtube in 2023.

I have a new Istanbul Test version that i'm hoping someone can do a few laps on and give me feedback on one specific thing. I redid most of the areas around the kerbs and runoff areas to try and match the textures\look that I saw in the 2021 video that @CrisT86 posted for me. Some I couldn't do correctly so it's not an exact match. To do this, I had to hide the existing meshes and make new ones but i'm never sure if I do this right.

Could someone turn a few laps and run over those areas to make sure you don't fall through the surface or any other kind of strange car behavior. I didn't see anything strange in my tests, but i'd love to see if anyone else has any issues. If you try it, make sure to delete your existing track folder if you tried any of my past test versions. Thanks for any help...

Istanbul Park Test 2

Incidentally, if anyone has any other suggestions, i'm all ears.

Last edited:
Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back