Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter daan
  • 137,412 comments
Question for those more experienced with modding and car ini files, is there any reason not to add "steer assist" to the generic tab on the setup.ini for a car?
First we need to understand what “steer assist” is in Assetto Corsa.
For those interested see below a detailed explanation from Lord Kunos himself.

"Steer assist is a variable power steering. It doesnt work on speed but it works on the amount of force. It's basically a gamma function, I use gamma functions a lot in AC.
So let's say you have a FF input from -1 to 1 (it's the job of the ffmult to get the actual torque and scale it down to a normalized -1 , 1 range)... the resulting FF after the steer assist will be:

assist_ff=input_ff^steer_assist

The job of steer assist is to allow the driver to feel the steer "full" at low speed with cars with heavy downforce without killing his arms if the car is going through a corner at 200kmh.

The rule for steer assist is very simple:

Are you doing a F1/LMS or other VERY high downforce car designed in the last 10/15 years?

yes ? experiment with steer assist value below 1 only AFTER you've tuned the ffmult to give you a good range of forces in the -1..1 area
no? steer assist is 1"
From Stefano Castillo

As you can see, it depends on what car and what effect you are looking after. If FFB feeling is what you are after, there are better way to adjust FFB to you preferences.

First we need to understand what “steer assist” is in Assetto Corsa.
For those interested see below a detailed explanation from Lord Kunos himself.

"Steer assist is a variable power steering. It doesnt work on speed but it works on the amount of force. It's basically a gamma function, I use gamma functions a lot in AC.
So let's say you have a FF input from -1 to 1 (it's the job of the ffmult to get the actual torque and scale it down to a normalized -1 , 1 range)... the resulting FF after the steer assist will be:
Interresting! Is there a way to make the driving experience absolutly atrocious thru this, like, undrivable for a human but that won't mess it up for AI? As i've been tweaking some mods to make them faster to race against offline but i don't want them to be drivable.

Also, on my day 789 of trying to get a better AI :

I'm curious about one thing, do you guys know what's the setting, anywhere in the game, that decides for the distance the AI cars would take other cars into account? My english being what it is, let me explain this better :

AI car1 goes into a corner, slides a little, hits the brakes.
AI car2, behind, starts braking because car1 is in its way.

How do assetto decides when AI car2 starts braking? At which distance does the script decides it's time to release throttle and/or adapt speed?

Same goes for lateral distances, i see Ai cars that can race side by side but depending on the mods some would just drop out of the battle immediatly if you're just standing 50cm next to them.

I've made a Goodwood video using the Mini from Pessio lately and it's a good example : other minis would keep on fighting and never let it go, whereas the Lotus Cortinas would immediatly drop back. there has to be a setting in the data.acd somewhere that controls that.

I believe it could be related to the aggression levels but then again, where is the aggression script/data?

Last edited:
Hmm, this could be useful for adding to my mods, given some issues that some people have had with the steering weight. Does anyone know what the POS_X and POS_Y refer to?
(POS_X and POS_Y) is in-game the steering assist tab location, up or down, and left or right
str.jpg

Welcome aboard :cheers:

There are very nice close siblings of the cars you're looking for, the 936/77 and the A442, over at Legion's GDrive. (@GzeroD)
@andrevr thank you! Although I already have these. My thought was that someone like @MrLonguinha17 who has already made many missing Le Mans cars, maybe had already worked on the cars you mentioned, in order to make the two I did. I already tried to do the conversion from Legion's 936/77 to 78 model, but I can't say it ended up well. I've managed to find just the skins of these cars but not the correct 3d models.

@Greg_ST I can't wait for this JGTC Skyline! Looks so promising! <3

@Cote Dazur apologies for the double post! I think I learned how to triple post on the same post! lol

@JCRR There are two collisions around km 3'8 of Muracciole-Vezzani in the midle of the road, probably caused by an object around the track
View attachment 1374970
View attachment 1374971

Do you plan updating the stage, at least to remove that imperfection that makes it undriveable? It's a shame that this happens as this track is absolutely billiant.

Hello
It's ok, I found the problem. I will soon update the track on RD. THANKS!

I have an issue with track sidelines getting blurry.
I couldn't find the option to correct it
View attachment 1393997
Mip LOD Bias is prob. what you need to adjust:
1727969514356.png

check out via the i button and see the result... (the more negative , the sharper it stays , but at some costs... )

or you can change this setting directly in-game , using the View & Video Settings app :
1727969754793.png

Last edited:
@andrevr thank you! Although I already have these. My thought was that someone like @MrLonguinha17 who has already made many missing Le Mans cars, maybe had already worked on the cars you mentioned, in order to make the two I did. I already tried to do the conversion from Legion's 936/77 to 78 model, but I can't say it ended up well. I've managed to find just the skins of these cars but not the correct 3d models.

Later 1970s grids haven't yet been on the radar for the LM Project team. Early 1920s is something that will happen as well as a good 1955 grid. Our tracker for 1975 indicates that there are tons of blanks for those races and with the A442 being a reasonable substitute it means that efforts would probably go to bringing a new car in the came that covers a broad range of open slots instead.

That said .. the A442 mod is absolutely bonkers and a handful when you turn up the boost. She's also pretty thirsty when you do so. I 1000 percent recommend it as a fun drive around some tracks as it has always made me smile.

Last edited:
Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.

Latest Posts

Back