Assetto Corsa: What to Expect

Terronium-12

For My Mom, Always
United States
Brooklyn, NY
KR_Viper
I Renown I
We have the News and General Discussion thread, Tips and Tricks, we even have a thread dedicated to the console builds when they're available next month, but the one thing we don't have is a comprehensive thread informing console players what they can expect from the game.

That's what this thread is going to focus on, first and foremost. Some (most?) of us PC players have been enjoying the game since the original Technology Preview back in February of 2013, and the game has undergone drastic changes since then and will improve even further when it releases onto the PS4 and Xbox One next month.

What should you expect from Assetto Corsa? Let's run down the list:

* To not play anything like Forza Motorsport or Gran Turismo. That is absolutely key to both enjoying the game and seeing it for what it really is. Even if your tastes differ significantly from the direction the game goes in, do not expect AC to play like GT or FM; there will be a learning curve.
* There are no night time and dynamic weather systems in place, and likely won't be until (and if) there's an Assetto Corsa 2.

* There is a 10-hour Time of Day system in place that can be adjusted from 8:00 (AM) to 18:00 (6PM) in 30 minute intervals, and be sped up from 1-360x.
* While weather isn't dynamic, it can be fixed to one of seven options: Heavy Fog; Light Fog; Clear; Mid Clear; Light Clouds; Mid Clouds, and Heavy Clouds.
* Ambient (track) temperature can be adjusted from 10-36 degrees Celsius (50-97 degrees Fahrenheit).

* There are 6 track surface options and their descriptions are as follows:
Dusty - A very slippery track, improves fast with more laps.
Old - Old tarmac. Bad grip won't get better soon.
Slow - A slow track that doesn't improve much.
Green - A clean track, gets better with more laps.
Fast - Very grippy track right from the start.
Optimum - Perfect track for hotlapping.
* There are 4 'realism' presets that toggle various options (which will follow directly after this), and those presets are: Gamer, Racer, Pro, and Custom.
* The options any one of the four toggle (or you yourself) are the following:
Automatic Gearbox, Throttle Blip, Clutch, and Ideal Racing Line
Traction Control: Off, Factory, On
Stability Control: Off, 5-100%
Mechanical Damage: Off, 10-100%
Tyre Blankets: Off, On
ABS: Off, Factory, On
Fuel Consumption: Off, On
Tyre Wear: Off, 1-3x
Slipstream Effect: 1-5x

* Penalties can be toggled on or off by checking a box, which is likely to be a 'hard' toggle on the console release. There is a disclaimer and while I'm sure it will apply, just in case the disclaimer isn't present you can read it here: Achievements and online leaderboard times will not be recorded if penalties are disabled.

Q: Is there a Photo Mode?
A: Yes. Yes there is.

Q: Can I save replays?
A: Yes. Yes you can.

Q: Can I drift?
A: Yes. There's even a dedicated track, aptly named 'Drift Track' where you can just run wild.

Q: Is it (drifting) any good?
A: You're asking the wrong person. I'm sure someone will chime in on this.

Q: You said not to compare AC to GT or FM, why?
A: This isn't a case of me going "LOL, what? Gran Turismo? Forza Motorsport? Hah! Children's toys!" No, the reason I say you can't or shouldn't compare the three is simple: Assetto Corsa is different. Not in a threatening way (okay, so there's the SF15-T) and not in a way that endears itself to you by being too easy. Without crossing over into bias, in a world where every new racing sim follows the textbook examples set by Forza and GT, AC dances to its own tune and that's a great thing for the genre.

Q: Is there a career?
A: You bet there is.

Q: I've seen the UI for the original game, is that same UI coming to consoles?
A: See for yourself below. Short answer: no.

Q: Will there be a livery editor?
A: Unless Kunos decides to build one at a later date, no.

I'll be adding to this over the next couple of days, and for those of you on the PC feel free to point out something that I've forgotten.

Last edited:
We have the News and General Discussion thread, Tips and Tricks, we even have a thread dedicated to the console builds when they're available next month, but the one thing we don't have is a comprehensive thread informing console players what they can expect from the game.

That's what this thread is going to focus on, first and foremost. Some (most?) of us PC players have been enjoying the game since the original Technology Preview back in February of 2013, and the game has undergone drastic changes since then and will improve even further when it releases onto the PS4 and Xbox One next month.

What should you expect from Assetto Corsa? Let's run down the list:

* To not play anything like Forza Motorsport or Gran Turismo. That is absolutely key to both enjoying the game and seeing it for what it really is. Even if your tastes differ significantly from the direction the game goes in, do not expect AC to play like GT or FM; there will be a learning curve.
* There are no night time and dynamic weather systems in place, and likely won't be until (and if) there's an Assetto Corsa 2.

* There is an 10-hour Time of Day system in place that can be adjusted from 8:00 (AM) to 18:00 (6PM) in 30 minute intervals, and be sped up from 1-360x.
* While weather isn't dynamic, it can be fixed to one of seven options: Heavy Fog; Light Fog; Clear; Mid Clear; Light Clouds; Mid Clouds, and Heavy Clouds.
* Ambient (track) temperature can be adjusted from 10-36 degrees Celsius (50-97 degrees Fahrenheit).

* There are 6 track surface options and their descriptions are as follows:
Dusty - A very slippery track, improves fast with more laps.
Old - Old tarmac. Bad grip won't get better soon.
Slow - A slow track that doesn't improve much.
Green - A clean track, gets better with more laps.
Fast - Very grippy track right from the start.
Optimum - Perfect track for hotlapping.
* There are 4 'realism' presets that toggle various options (which will follow directly after this), and those presets are: Gamer, Racer, Pro, and Custom.
* The options any one of the four toggle (or you yourself) are the following:
Automatic Gearbox, Throttle Blip, Clutch, and Ideal Racing Line
Traction Control: Off, Factory, On
Stability Control: Off, 5-100%
Mechanical Damage: Off, 10-100%
Tyre Blankets: Off, On
ABS: Off, Factory, On
Fuel Consumption: Off, On
Tyre Wear: Off, 1-3x
Slipstream Effect: 1-5x

* Penalties can be toggled on or off by checking a box, which is likely to be a 'hard' toggle on the console release. There is a disclaimer and while I'm sure it will apply, just in case the disclaimer isn't present you can read it here: Achievements and online leaderboard times will not be recorded if penalties are disabled.

Q: Is there a Photo Mode?
A: Yes. Yes there is.

Q: Can I save replays?
A: Yes. Yes you can.

Q: Can I drift?
A: Yes. There's even a dedicated track, aptly named 'Drift Track' where you can just run wild.

Q: Is it any good?
A: You're asking the wrong person. I'm sure someone will chime in on this.

Q: You said not to compare AC to GT or FM, why?
A: This isn't a case of me going "LOL, what? Gran Turismo? Forza Motorsport? Hah! Children's toys!" No, the reason I say you can't or shouldn't compare the three is simple: Assetto Corsa is different. Not in a threatening way (okay, so there's the SF15-T) and not in a way that endears itself to you by being too easy. Without crossing over into bias, in a world where every new racing sim follows the textbook examples set by Forza and GT, AC dances to its own tune and that's a great thing for the genre.

Q: Is there a career?
A: You bet there is.

I'll be adding to this over the next couple of days, and for those of you on the PC feel free to point out something that I've forgotten.

Also on PS4 there is a community called "Assetto Corsa Racing Simulator" search for that, we have over one thousand already joined in the community sign up is open, so feel free :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh. I hate how bullet points go berserk when a font code is used. I'm fixing that (and your post) because it's going to drive me absolutely insane. :ill:

If I may, I'll add my own Q&A:

Q: Everyone seems to rave about AC. Is it the perfect sim?
A: Perfect? No, not by a longshot. There are still features missing that you will find in other current games, some elements of the physics/tire model could use some work. No game is perfect, only real life is perfect. Having said that, you should find that driving in AC feels very natural and intuitive. If you find a car doing something that you think is unusual, more than likely it's a trait that the car possesses in real life and you just have to adapt to it. Like exiting a corner in third gear in the AC Cobra or the Lotus 49 and getting oversteer on the throttle at 120 mph:eek:

Q: Ok, so it's not perfect, but is it the greatest racing game ever?
A: Very subjective and entirely dependent on what you are looking for in a game. If you're looking to upgrade cars and build a garage and feel that GT/Forza sense of progression you won't see this as an ideal game for you but you might find that you enjoy the aspects of the game that are really well done. If you're looking for a great feeling sim with great FFB and a very natural feel that provides a sandbox of cars and tracks to enjoy offline and online then it's more suited to you. To each his own.

Q: I've only ever played Forza and GT on console and I'm a little afraid I won't be able to adapt to a real sim. Should I be worried?
A: From personal experience, it took me about 2 weeks of playing a couple of hours a night to be fully adapted to the level of simulation that AC offers. You are going to find that it's easier to oversteer in general, easier to spin the wheels under hard accleration, easier to lock up the front wheels under braking and plow through a corner or easier to throw the car into violent oversteer while braking. Even when exiting a corner like Surtees on the laser scanned Brands Hatch there is a little bump in the road and in some cars, if you don't hit it just right, it can throw the back end out and put you into a spin as the rear end jumps up and the drive wheels spin up. These subtleties are things you'll have to remember and are some of the things that really up the simulation value of AC.
What brought it all together for me, was to forget everything I ever learned in GT and start over, using real life as my frame of reference. You can't simply turn on ABS in AC and floor the brakes in every corner like you can in GT, you still have to be very conscious of weight transfer and timing your brake release, much moreso than in a game like GT. Once it clicks in that the cars in AC are doing pretty much exactly what they do in real life, it makes it much easier and a more natural, intuitive driving experience.

Q: I'm not very good at tuning. Will that be an issue for me in being competitive?
A: In AC, street car tuning is very limited, mainly camber, toe and tire pressure, so you don't need a lot of tuning knowledge to be competitive. There are no parts to upgrade and no glitches available like "flipping" transmissions or adding certain combinations of parts to game the PP system so from that sort of insider standpoint, it's much simpler. For most street cars, the key is in adding some camber and getting tire pressures right. Racing cars come with most of the tuning options the real life car would come with. So an older race car will have limited tuning, modern race cars more detailed tuning. I have found tuning in AC very natural and intuitive and everything seems to work as advertised. I'm sure various garages will open up when the game is released on console and tunes will be available if you are struggling.

Q: My last 2 games were Forza 6 and GT6 so I'm used to a huge car and track selection. Will there be enough for me to do in this game?
A: Depends on how you play your racing games. I found the cars and tracks so subtly detailed and nuanced that I can spend an entire evening with a single car on 1 or two tracks, tinkering with setups and just enjoying all the little bumps/cambers/curbs/racing lines each car/track combination has to offer. No two cars drive exactly the same, no two tracks are the same. Laser scanning is a big thing because it means that an identical curve on two different tracks is going to feel completely different depending on the curbing and track surface. It's amazing the difference it makes when a corner is slightly cambered one way or the other or there is an imperfection in the track surface on entry or midway through a corner. You are going to find, for example, that braking into the first corner of Nurburgring GP is incredibly hair raising:scared: and an adventure in and of itself both because it's downhill and the physics will reflect the weight shift and it's effect on your chosen brake balance and you may or may not be on the racing line where the rubber is and you have to adjust or you could plow right through the corner.

Q: Should I buy this game with GTSport right around the corner.
A: Again, a very subjective answer, but IMO, yes. The track and car selection bears little resemblence so far and AC, at least at this point, seems to offer a lot more to the offline player than GTSport does. On the other hand, if the matchmaking and driver etiquette rating system in GTSport is effective, it should provide a more competitive, more balanced online racing experience in the end. AC also offers up some cars that you may not see in GTSport, especially cars like the Fangio's Maserati 250F, the Lotus 25 and 49, the Ferrari F138 and SF15-T, the E30 BMW M3 and probably others. Tracks that are pretty unique to AC are Vallelunga, Magione, Trento Bondone Hillclimb, Drift Track, Drag Strip, Classic Monza and more. In addition, most of the tracks in AC are laser scanned, offering up a level of detail that can only be matched by another laser scanned version of the track.

Nice thread. I didn't see an option to set assists to 'real'. Is there a way to do this? Or is that what the 'factory ON' setting does?

the only thing i dont care for in the menus is the uninspired music, unlike their intro on pc and all their trailers.

the only thing i dont care for in the menus is the uninspired music, unlike their intro on pc and all their trailers.
The price difference for using a song in a trailer vs using a song in actual software is massive so that makes sense imo.

The price difference for using a song in a trailer vs using a song in actual software is massive so that makes sense imo.
yeah, i understand it. just a little less clean and class feel to the menus, thats all. at the end of the day, its about the driving.

Q: Is there an offline mode similar to PCars's solo mode where all cars & tracks are unlocked from the start and one can create custom race weekends against AI?

FS7
Q: Is there an offline mode similar to PCars's solo mode where all cars & tracks are unlocked from the start and one can create custom race weekends against AI?

A: Yes! All of the tracks and cars are unlocked right from the start, and you're able to use them in either training mode, hot lap mode or even in a race weekend mode. The cool thing is that you're able to create your very own field. Want to race a BMW M4 and Mercedes SLS AMG with your Toyota GT86? No problem! :)

FS7

A: All cars are unlocked right away regardless of the mode, and you can create custom race weekends.

I was going to take a picture or two of exactly what @20832 described, but there you go, custom fields. The game will even curate cars relative to the class of the car you're looking to have a go in.

Anyone know if there will be Customization for all the cars? Like changing different rims or wheels, make rims or wheels larger, custom paint, replace tires, body kits, engine upgrades, etc...

Anyone know if there will be Customization for all the cars? Like changing different rims or wheels, make rims or wheels larger, custom paint, replace tires, body kits, engine upgrades, etc...

No, unfortunately not. The only things that you are able to change for all cars is the colour or livery.
Some cars also have Stage tuning. This stage tuning offers various different modifications for the cars, either more horsepower, more ability to fine-tune your suspension and differential.

A: Yes! All of the tracks and cars are unlocked right from the start, and you're able to use them in either training mode, hot lap mode or even in a race weekend mode. The cool thing is that you're able to create your very own field. Want to race a BMW M4 and Mercedes SLS AMG with your Toyota GT86? No problem! :)
Not in the console version. Same make or same class only.

This is a great idea for a thread :-)

1) What do we know about PS4 Trophies? e.g How many and are they realistic to get

2) Online. Is it similar to GT5/6 or more like the abysmal PBugs.

3) How does the penalty system actually work?

4) Is there any method for online "car balancing" e.g like GT's PP system

5) I read there was some sort of driver handicapping system. Does it work and is it effective?

6) In an online lobby is there free practice before an event like with GT5/6 or is sitting around bored like PBugs? Further can you change cars once entered like GT or are stuck with your first choice as with PBugs.

7) Last one, promise ;-) Tyre choice. Again is it like GT with groups of generic tyre types or PBugs and its seemingly endless numbers of different tyres across its range of cars.

Is the career mode actually worth my time, or is it a simple case of race after race?

Tire blow out, simulated both visually and mechanically ?
Brake fade simulated ? Engine temp rise, overheat and blown engine simulated ?

Anyone who have played LFS, how does the tire/suspension physics in AC compare ? LFS camber/toe, tire model/physics are top notch IMO, when one rear tire blown on RWD, it drives just like a real car would, the tire flex is there, the torque steer, the LSD simulation also spot on for LFS.

I don't care about FFB, as I played LFS on pad, and it's amazing without FFB. When I get PS4, more than likely I will play it on DS4. Just wondering if AC at least can go toe to toe with LFS in physics ( FFB excluded )

My other worry would be cars accuracy ( already have seen some that worries me like Nissans, Mazdas etc ), but I may still open replica garage anyway someday, if possible to make changes on the cars in PS4.

How do the leaderboards handle all the variables such as assists and surface conditions? Does every car have its own leaderboard for every layout, or is there some kind of class system?

Is the career mode actually worth my time, or is it a simple case of race after race?
It's basically just a collection of races and times trials put into a series. In each series, you need a set amount of bronze/gold/silver trophies to move onto the next series. Here is N1, the first part of the Career Mode for example.

upload_2016-7-31_12-57-40.png

There are no prizes or anything since everything in the game is unlocked from the start. I personally did the first two series then called it quits for the career mode.

1) What do we know about PS4 Trophies? e.g How many and are they realistic to get
The PC version has over 400 trophies. Most of them are really simple and are things like "drive car X at track Y" or "beat x:xx:xxx time". Will the PS4 version have all 400, I really don't know.

6) In an online lobby is there free practice before an event like with GT5/6 or is sitting around bored like PBugs? Further can you change cars once entered like GT or are stuck with your first choice as with PBugs.
I think the host can set a time at which the qualifying/race starts and can add a practice session before the qualifying or have no practice at all. And no, you cannot change your vehicle once you are in the room.

---

Keep in mind, all of the above applies to the PC version so things might end up differently on consoles.

It's basically just a collection of races and times trials put into a series. In each series, you need a set amount of bronze/gold/silver trophies to move onto the next series. Here is N1, the first part of the Career Mode for example.

View attachment 571933

There are no prizes or anything since everything in the game is unlocked from the start. I personally did the first two series then called it quits for the career mode.

The PC version has over 400 trophies. Most of them are really simple and are things like "drive car X at track Y" or "beat x:xx:xxx time". Will the PS4 version have all 400, I really don't know.

I think the host can set a time at which the qualifying/race starts and can add a practice session before the qualifying or have no practice at all. And no, you cannot change your vehicle once you are in the room.

---

Keep in mind, all of the above applies to the PC version so things might end up differently on consoles.
Eh. I expected as much. I made do with DiRT Rally's average career so should be serviceable at least.

I am probably new to this game, and have just pre-ordered it for PS4, but I'm curious about all the official car liveries in the game, I hope they're plentiful like PCARS (especially with real life racing liveries) despite having no livery editor like Forza.

2) Online. Is it similar to GT5/6 or more like the abysmal PBugs.

I never hanged much around the online part of GT5/6, but, if recall correctly, we get the qualifying and race. Quali being as long as you like. It's not as polished as SimBin material.

3) How does the penalty system actually work?

For now, if you misbehave the penalty is a speed penalty like GT5/6. A flag system is to be implemented I believe.

4) Is there any method for online "car balancing" e.g like GT's PP system

We can limit the cars available for the online race. Race cars we've got a ballast.

7) Last one, promise ;-) Tyre choice. Again is it like GT with groups of generic tyre types or PBugs and its seemingly endless numbers of different tyres across its range of cars.

Road cars you got semislicks and street tyres. For older roadcars there's also period correct street tyres. Race cars there is soft, medium and hard compounds. Older race cars you got vintage rubber.

Tire blow out, simulated both visually and mechanically ?
Brake fade simulated ? Engine temp rise, overheat and blown engine simulated ?

I think there isn't a tyre blows, at least I haven't experienced it, but I usually don't run with damage. Also haven't experienced brake fade, but there is definitely the need to "warm" the brakes to get them working right. The engine temperature has been fixed and it works. Now if it does the things you ask, I can't answer that.

Back