Autocross/Track day talk - tires, cars, setup - Season has started

• Thread starter Azuremen
  • 159 comments
More importantly, will it have gone hard in the two years it's been sitting?

Depends.

UV light and heat cycles is what kills rubber. If it's been stored properly (no exposure to sunlight, cool dry location) it should be fine after a proper initial heat cycle. Shaving it may also help.

It's not going to be as good and sticky as a fresh one though. See if they'll give you a discount on them.

No personal experience with A032s, sorry. Autocross acquaintance had a set on his Evo, but I never drove the car.

M

I've passed on the Yokohamas.

And gotten something else.
Fellow autocrosser & parts guy at my local store sold me some wheels and tires he wasn't using.

Wheels are from an FD RX-7, shod in 225/50-16" Azenis RT-615 that are barely worn.
Much cheaper than the old, hard AO32s.

Did an autocross on Sunday...

12th by raw time, 10th in pax out of 48 entries.
On all-seasons.

It was wet during setup, but the track was mostly dried up mid-morning.
Got 7 runs in, and the Ziex 912's currently on the car impressed me with more grip than I'd expect from an all-season.

I think I could have shaved about 2 seconds off had I been running the Azenis, but I had only gotten them back to the house at 9 the previous night and didn't want to change them in the pouring rain.

Well, since nobody has posted about their 2010 season here, I'll put in a few words about my last 2 events, 17 October and 24 October. These were my first two real events in the Meotter.

Brandywine Motorsports Club / Porsche Club of America (Delaware Valley Chapter) Event #4 - 17/10/2010

This event was held at the slightly larger of the 2 small venues this club uses, but even so, one pass constituted a little more than 2 laps of this course in about 50 seconds. The bottom part of the course was roughly shaped like one side of an hourglass, entering at 1 bell and exiting at the other. The top half of the course was a short slalom that began after a big decreasing-radius sweeper and ended in another sweeper across the top of the hourglass. Not a bad course, but this club really needs some bigger lots.

My daughter ran in the event, too, in her Impreza. Her driving is really picking up and she was able to drop a lot of time over the course of the day. We got 2 runs in the morning heat and 3 runs in the afternoon heat, but no fun runs.

dsc02942e.jpg

dsc02941y.jpg

dsc02948d.jpg

dsc02924f.jpg

dsc02880p.jpg

dsc02915t.jpg

dsc02906be.jpg

dsc02920f.jpg

Classing is fairly loose at this club and I got put in with a novice in an R35 GT-R. He was actually a good guy and his confidence grew as the day went on, though he was easy to beat. I had experience and the better part of 1500 pounds in my favor. I didn't get any pictures of it because I was in the same run group, but it sounded good, even if it really seemed hemmed in by the tight course.

Other than that, it was the usual mix of Boxsters, Caymen, and some miscellaneous older Japanese iron. FTD was (as almost always in this club) a well-driven Caterham 7, though I noticed he brought out the Hoosiers for this trip in order to take home the trophy for sure.

I'm really digging the Miata, though it needs some tinkering over the off-season. It badly needs fresh hubs and I'll probably do some bushing work while I have the back end out of it. So far the Knois are in their stock damping settings and I think I want to tighten the fronts 1 click to tame the rear end a little. It could stand to be cornerweighted, too.

What it really really needs is fresh rubber on 15x9 wheels (currently running ancient V710s on 15x7 K1s). That's probably not in the budget for next year, though I am eyeing some fairly-fresh 225/45/15 Hoosier A6 takeoffs that are for sale. I'd definitely need to get the wider wheels for those, though.

Pics and chat about the second event in a bit.

Last edited:
Pretty much forgot about this thread. I'll dump some links to some videos of some of my events this summer.

These ones on Facebook should be public.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=144359078923090

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=144507552241576

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=144603965565268

Some pictures from the same event: (yes, that's the national champion Takata Subaru)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=24668&id=100000469969143&l=e62193bdf7

Next to the last event:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=29039&id=100000469969143&l=e9aa450224

Video from that event (available in HD):

Part1

Part2

Last edited:
I'm going to have to get a camera mount. My stupid little Sony camera will take video.

I actually use a cheap Targus tripod with a 3-way panhead, which I drilled holes in one of the legs and use U-bolts and wingnuts to secure it to the passenger headrest posts. :dopey:

Yeah, I figured I would do something like that and clamp it to my roll bar.

So, what's on tap for the 2011 season? I'm kind of bummed because the local SCCA region is running fewer events at a gorgeous venue that is a whole 15 minutes from my house, in favor of one that is more like an hour away. Also, they had a McKamey/EVO autocross school scheduled for the new venue. I've never had any instruction and I was pretty eager to get there... then I found out they switched it to a Phase 2 program which you can't take without having had Phase 1 first, and there are not any Phase 1 courses anywhere remotely close by.

I was going to start this year, but was batted down by the parents for a couple reasons. One, I wouldn't have the money to fix my car if something broke or pay a tow truck (as the nearest one is about ninety-five miles from my house), and two, Dad said something about the insurance being canceled if the company found out I was using my car at an autocross. Oh well... :guilty:

Well, good luck getting to play. I will say that the chance of damaging or breaking your car is minimal. In 4 years of doing this, I've only seen 1 real incident.

Insurance varies by company, but try some research. Autocross is sometimes seen as different from track days. You may also be able to get 1-day coverage for events from a specialty insurer. That may cost $50 per event, though. I think a track day weekend was about $100 for my car.

Another option is to see if you can codrive somebody else's car, by offering to split costs or invest time and effort.

Back