Azuremen's photos - Spring and Summer vibes

• Thread starter Azuremen
  • 456 comments
New lens? How are you liking the focal length?

Both shots look great. 👍

Just borrowing the lens. Honestly, while I'm liking the focal length, the lens is pretty mediocre - quite soft in the corners even stopped down a bit, quite a lot of coma issues when fairly open, odd coloring, other small bits. I mostly am testing it out to see how I feel about a 20mm field of view to help me decide on getting the Rokinon 12mm F/2 for my EOS M. All signs suggest the Rokinon has superior optical performance than this 20mm from Canon, and now I'm comfortable with how framing works at this length.

I could easily see myself using the EOS M with the 12mm and the 5Dmkii with the 135mm a travel/street/journalism duo.

Untitled
by Cody Schroeder
Canon 5D Mark II ~ Canon 20mm F/2.8

the lens is pretty mediocre - quite soft in the corners even stopped down a bit, quite a lot of coma issues when fairly open, odd coloring, other small bits.
I was curious to see your answer on this. To be honest, I was quite shocked, too, when looking at the rear of your M3. Even at 1024px it looks quite bad, with all kinds of aberrations - and that was not even wide-open.
Having said that, distortion seems pretty well controled.

That duo you mention is quite interesting. I could see myself using something like that - occasional street/urban shooting with wide-angle focal lengths go well with smaller cameras/sensors. 👍

I was curious to see your answer on this. To be honest, I was quite shocked, too, when looking at the rear of your M3. Even at 1024px it looks quite bad, with all kinds of aberrations - and that was not even wide-open.
Having said that, distortion seems pretty well controled.

I think the M shot is a bit softer due to the focal plane as well... I had it set to infinity for the stars for some other shots out of laziness :P Distortion is fairly under control, certainly more so than any zooms I've worked with in this range. For a walk around, 12mm (20mm equiv on the M) would be a bit wide but I'm liking the dramatic scale that it can create.

Autumn Colors by Cody Schroeder
Canon EOS M ~ Canon EF-M 22mm F/2 STM

Nice pic - the cloud formation is what makes it IMO.

I'm guessing you shot that at 17mm as there are some distortions at the corner that may be worth a crop.

Should I ever find a large enough space on my wall or move somewhere new, remind me to contact you about getting that in a large print. 👍

Very cool. Haven't been able to play around with long exposure night shots with moonlight (or any astro, really) lately because I'm back in Sydney and the night sky sucks. Strong concert stuff too!

Very cool. Haven't been able to play around with long exposure night shots with moonlight (or any astro, really) lately because I'm back in Sydney and the night sky sucks. Strong concert stuff too!

Thanks. Honestly, chasing stars and night skies by the water is gonna get me killed - slippery rocks and freezing temps (literally) in the dark.

And get out into whatever country side you have - always neat to see the different stars down there.

In the Woods
by Cody Schroeder
Canon 5D Mark II ~ Canon 135mm F/2

Hahahah I studied at a uni in the country side for 5 years! I have a few shots like that but when I go back for my 2nd graduation in a months time I will snap something.

Back