Azuremen's photos - Spring and Summer vibes

• Thread starter Azuremen
  • 456 comments
Wait, does this mean you ended up getting an A7.

Yes. Waited for a used one to come up at the right price. Certainly has some quirks (like all Sony products) but the dynamic range seems solid and it is tiny compared to my 5Dii. Still quite a bit larger than the EOS M + 22mm. Still, it's a nice form factor and about as close as I've come to the feel of the Minolta I learned film on.

Manoj
Canon EOS M ~ Canon 22mm F/2 STM EF-M

@Azuremen: I was expecting some more enthusiasm! :P

Anyway, congratulations. Really hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.:cheers:

I just need to adjust to it. The lack of a touch screen and some of Sony's interface choices are frustrating; zoom for both focus and review leaves a lot to be desired. Also would be nice to have the option to toggle the monitor/evf with a custom button.

Focus peaking works well in pinch, and the EVF is certainly easier to focus with than an OVF. Just wish the EVF played a little more nicely with my glasses but I'm adjusting.

In a few days I'm sure I'll have it figured out. Meanwhile, any suggestions or tips?

I just need to adjust to it. The lack of a touch screen and some of Sony's interface choices are frustrating; zoom for both focus and review leaves a lot to be desired. Also would be nice to have the option to toggle the monitor/evf with a custom button.

Focus peaking works well in pinch, and the EVF is certainly easier to focus with than an OVF. Just wish the EVF played a little more nicely with my glasses but I'm adjusting.

In a few days I'm sure I'll have it figured out. Meanwhile, any suggestions or tips?
Zooming for review is, indeed, very weird. I had the same problem. But you will get a bit more used to it (hint: both the AEL button and the back wheel serve as a "zoom out" function).

But why are you finding zooming for focus awkward? Do you have it set for the "C1" button?

I left the Monitor/EVF switch to auto and I'm using the Centre Button for disabling the monitor. I found that this works well. The bigger problem is that the sensor is too sensitive and can be a problem when shooting at waist level (some people got around this with a piece of tape partially covering the sensor).

I also struggled a bit with the EVF in bright sunlight at the beginning (because of the glasses), but then managed to find a way to deal with it. Sometimes, switching eyes is all it takes.

Other settings I have:

C2: Peaking Levels, for quickly turning it on or off;
C3: Monitor Brightness - I have it on Manual (0), but like to be able to quickly change to "Sunny Weather";
Fn: Pretty much any function you want, but I leave it with instant access to Creative Styles - switching to a more neutral/flat profile can be helpfull for harsh sun and black & white can be interesting for composition;
Down Button: change ISO.
(Turning off any function for the jog wheel also helps preventing accidents.)

This is pretty much all I use and need.

Maybe @casey_2005 can also give some good advice.

But why are you finding zooming for focus awkward? Do you have it set for the "C1" button?

Yes, and I tried it on C2 to see which felt easier to press. What I mean is the need to press the button twice to actually zoom when I'd like to just zoom without having to see the zoom selection box.

I have the monitor/EVF setup fairly similar, and I'll just have to get use to changing that option from the EVF for the times I do set it to the EVF. Though I am loving the adjustable monitor, as it is letting me quickly frame different angles. Expect a lot of hip level shots in the future :P

The rear dial hasn't bothered me yet, though I wish I could put it on an upper dial instead of aperture. Already ordered some batteries, as it can't make it through a modest day with me right now.

Image wise, I'm adjusting to how to edit these a bit but seems I can pull a lot more detail from shadows and highlights. High ISO seems cleaner than either Canon, it will be fun to see how it performs in a bar.

One of the more interesting things I've noticed is how people react to this camera versus the 5Dii or EOS M. People take it a bit more seriously than the EOS M but it is overly serious and intimidating like the 5Dii. And I got some random compliments from non-camera people. Some even thought it was a film camera at first. But I digress...

The Series E 50mm has surprised me. It was only average feeling on the EOS M, but it seems to be sharp almost corner to corner on the A7. Even wide open, the CA and contrast in the corners is impressive. Certainly sharper than the Canon 50mm f/1.4 I had. And it fits nicely on the A7. Just wish the focus was dampened a bit more or a touch longer. Still, wish I'd brought the 50/1.8 to India and not in much rush to get a another normal lens. Thinking the 100/2.8 E Series and/or the Canon FD/FL 28/2

Anyhow, some shots the past day...

Dine

Sony A7 ~ CPC Phase 2 28mm F/2 F-Mount

Untitled

Sony A7 ~ Nikon 50mm F/1.8 Series E

Untitled

What I mean is the need to press the button twice to actually zoom when I'd like to just zoom without having to see the zoom selection box.

it works like this: you press the C1 button once and a rectangle appears over the whole image.
(...)
When you're in the area you want, you press C1 again. A third touch on the C1 button will magnify the image even more. A light touch on the shutter button will bring the image back to full view.

Another way (which I use many times) is to just quickly press C1 twice and it simply magnifies the center area. I then focus and recompose.
;)

But it will become second nature, you'll see. Also, it can be handy to be able to select the place of the magnified area.

One of the more interesting things I've noticed is how people react to this camera versus the 5Dii or EOS M. People take it a bit more seriously than the EOS M but it is overly serious and intimidating like the 5Dii. And I got some random compliments from non-camera people. Some even thought it was a film camera at first. But I digress...
The first time ever I had someone come to me to compliment on my gear was recently, with the A7 and the Voigtländer 40/1.4. A tourist from Hong Kong (looked a lot like Kai :lol:). A very nice guy.

And yes, my friends now take interest at the camera and ask me some questions about it. The other day, after seeing a photo on the LCD, a friend of mine said: "you can make that with this?!?"

The Series E 50mm has surprised me. It was only average feeling on the EOS M, but it seems to be sharp almost corner to corner on the A7. Even wide open, the CA and contrast in the corners is impressive.
This! It is such and incredible little lens, especially for it's size and price.
(Love that last photo, by the way!)

I don't know about the FD 28/2, but the one I have (FDn 28/2.8) is definitely not a good lens. Lacks contrast and sharpness, and is very prone to some kind of awful, circular flaring.

Love the FDn 50/1.4 though. Great lens. And it pairs very nicely with the A7, since it is also a very light lens and the FD adapter is much nicer (shorter) than the Nikon F one.

@35mm - The FDn 50 does look nice, but I certainly don't need another manual 50mm. Unless, of course, it shows up for $10 at a thrift store or yard sale.

Untitled

Back