Best female artist is ?????Music 

• Thread starter Nicksfix
  • 207 comments
Beyonce will take this title she's very good and so what she don't write most of her songs she still has a good voice and catchy tunes

Madonna is the best commercially. American Life is underrated folktronica album. But her last album MDNA is mediocre. I don't know I would rather pick Celine Dion because she's the most successful non-sellout singer. Her career is free of controversies and bad albums. She sacrificed her last mini-tour just to take care of her husband (who had throat cancer), spend times with her kids and rest herself. And she sings way better in her 40's than most of these new singers. Her vocals are improving ever since 2003 and her vocal prime is just coming. She handled her career perfectly. So what if she can't chart on biased USA charts?

My favourites are:
- Celine Dion
- Jessie J (though I don't like her performances, just her voice and character off stage)
- Whitney Houston
- Sheryl Crow
- Taylor Swift (though she isn't an amazing singer, but I like her voice)
- Demi Lovato
- Mandy Moore

Of this generation I think the best in terms of voice is Jessie J
Props to all Disney singers too!

I can come up with a pretty long list of candidates, most of whom have been mentioned already: Aretha, Janis, Celine Dion, Pat Benetar, Carly Simon, etc. A candidate for "honorable mention", if not "best", would be Evie Sands.

And then there's Joan Jett. And Laura Branigan. And...

More than I can possibly name, in terms of vocals.

A couple examples.

Sarah Howells (Paper Aeroplanes)

Stacy DuPree (Eisley/Sucre)

Best thing to do is to go through my playlists and see which Female Artists have the most plays.

Sia (Titanium is the only one though)
Foxes (Clarity is most of them, but I really do like her other songs like Let Go For Tonight and Holding on to Heaven)

Then a big gap, which only included Loreen from Eurovision, and a few more featured female singers such as Max Marshall on Matrix and Futurebound's Control and Ms Dynamite on Dibby Dibby Sound.

Ah, there we go
Katy Perry (Songs are a bit hit and miss, but some like Firework, Dark Horse and Waking up in Vegas are absolute tunes!)
Kesha (WTF? Oh wait, Timber. About the only song where she sings a note and actually hits it! Apart from that, all of Kesha's songs are utter train wrecks)
Rihanna (We Found Love is about it)
Leona Lewis (Some songs aren't too bad - Collide aka Pastor Maldonando's theme tune is the highlight, mainly because of Avicii though...)
Lana Del Rey? (Only the Cedric Gervais remix of Summertime Sadness. All of her normal songs are dreary)
Keisza (Only added recently to the playlist, so hasn't had time to catch the top songs.)

Turns out I need to recategorise.

Female acts I like on their own.
Foxes
Katy Perry
Loreen
Fergie (As part of the Black Eyed Peas)
Alana Watson (As part of Nero)
Keisza
Pixie Lott
Jess Glynne (In this category, but quite low compared to the others)
Ellie Goulding

Female acts I like because they were a featured artist on, or featured, another act I liked to make a good song, usually just one song in my playlist.
Sia
Kesha
Rihanna
Leona Lewis
Lana Del Rey
Nicki Minaj (Hit and Miss, there are some good ones such as Superbass and Turn Me On, but I'll put here in this category)
Jessie J (Not a fan at all, but David Guetta's help on Laserlight does mean she is in my playlist)

Counting my whole playlist though, the ratio of Male to Female acts for me is around 13:1
There is nothing sexist about it for me, that's just the songs I like. Titanium and Clarity are both in my top 10 songs, but again, male producer - female vocals. Loreen's Euphoria is my most liked song with just a female artist named.

I'd have to throw a vote out for Katie Melua, can't say many of the songs appeal to me much but I think she's got a great voice. Too many female vocalists doing similar stuff these days sound too "delicate", or whiney, their voices are far too thin --- the kind of thing that becomes popular at around Christmas time for adverts... whereas Melua seems to maintain a certain depth or richness, whilst at the same time remaining "delicate" enough. Plus she can play the guitar and she's moderately fit, and is now married to James Toseland (multiple World Superbike Champ).

I'm really loving Veela at the moment. Call me a hipster if you will, but I think she's the most underrated one out there now.

Best is an objective term, something you can't really apply to art, and even if you could, I strongly doubt that the best female artist would be called ?????.

Okay, to be less pedantic, I first have to ask why one is looking for the best female artist. I struggle to see how sex or gender is likely to influence the quality of one's music when we're comparing it to all other music. Secondly, the term artist here confuses me. Are we talking about solo artists, female members of larger groups, or bands composed entirely of women?

Anyway, if I had to say who my favourite female solo artist was I'd probably be split between PJ Harvey, Yoko Kanno, and Björk. Marnie Stern would stand out as a truly exceptional instrumentalist to me, but her compositions aren't really of a level that I feel warrants her inclusion, even if I like her stuff.

If we were looking at members of larger groups then Satomi Matsuzaki from Deerhoof would probably win simply on the grounds of being one of the two members of Deerhoof who has been there since the start, the other being Greg Saunier (I absolutely love Deerhoof).

I then realise that the only band I like that I can think of off the top of my head with an all-woman line up is Shonen Knife, who aren't actually one of my favourite bands however much I enjoy their stuff; all though there are numerous other groups I like where women have been the predominant if not sole creative force and the male members have merely been there just to play the instruments.

Last edited:
-Legendary-Nina-Simone-Cover-Art-nina-simone-17876499-1695-1686.jpg

Vocal performance wise?
Kate Bush
Ann Wilson
Aretha Franklin
Donna Summer
Diana Ross
Lady Gaga (check her performance with the Rolling Stones, or her Stevie Wonder tribute.)

Songwriting wise? It's harder to choose. It's not always obvious who writes their own songs.

Others worth mentioning:
Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane
Janis Joplin
Debbie Harry of Blondie

Not one person in here seconded me on Fiona Apple... but seriously, she's better than any of the other artists in this thread.

I just pre-ordered Ronnie Spector's new album, "English Heart".

You can listen to her sing a Keith Richards rarity here: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016...th-richards-id-much-rather-be-with-the-girls/

720x405-GettyImages-477489653.jpg

Ronnie Spector will release 'English Heart,' her first album of new material since 2006, on April 8th Samir Hussein/Getty

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...glish-heart-track-list-20160217#ixzz44fz5E7WU
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

The track listing is:
1. “Oh Me Oh My (I’m A Fool For You Baby)”
2. “Because”
3. “I’d Much Rather Be With The Girls”
4. “Don’t Let The Sun Catch You Crying”
5. “Tired Of Waiting”
6. “Tell Her No”
7. “I’ll Follow The Sun”
8. “You’ve Got Your Troubles”
9. “Girl Don’t Come”
10. “Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood”
11. “How Can You Mend a Broken Heart”

Read more at http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/ronnie-...stones-on-new-album-72844#SLltkbhxqTHXwROK.99

Last edited:
Back