Best Japanese Car (Final Voting for French Car)

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 112 comments

VOTE FOR BEST FRENCH CAR (FINAL)

• Citroen DS

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • Bugatti Veyron

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • Renault Clio (All Versions)

Votes: 12 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I say 300ZX for the win. Not only was it always in the shadow of it's more technologically laden brother, but it was a good car in it's own right. Possibly one of the best looking Japanese cars (that isn't just a Jaguar E-type clone), the car was as fast as it was fast looking, being limited to 155 MPH. And we actually got this one. That can't be said about the Skyline, now, can it? And it was a great driver's car (of course, so are all of the other cars nominated, but whatever).
nissan300zxlc0.jpg

amp88
The Continental GT lowers at speed and was made before the Veyron. How exactly are the Veyron's achievements useful to supercars?

Does the Continental GT lose weight at speed? Because that's the only way it could impress me.

Famine
he's malodourously wrong on every other one (it's not the quickest, it's not the fastest, it's not the most powerful, it wasn't any one of those things at launch, the height drop and brakes aren't new - though it's possible that the 7-speed manual DSG 'box is "new").

Indeed, it's the most powerful, quickest, and fastest production car. And no, I couldn't care less about what some tuner has done with some Mustang, or some crap like that. The key term here is "production." The vehicle will be idolized for years to come, even if the 15 people who voted for the DS are too incompetent to see that now (presumably the people who voted for the Clio are too incompetent to ever see it).

M5Power
Does the Continental GT lose weight at speed? Because that's the only way it could impress me.

Less petrol to fester away in the tank, obviously :P

Also, I voted DS, so stick it!

M5Power
Indeed, it's the most powerful, quickest, and fastest production car. And no, I couldn't care less about what some tuner has done with some Mustang, or some crap like that. The key term here is "production."
Where were you in the Veyron thread when me and Blazin were arguing about the Hennesy Viper?
But anyways, quite technically, it is only barely the best in all of those things. It's top speed was faster by 1 MPH. It's acceleration was faster by .1 seconds, etc.

ultrabeat
Less petrol to fester away in the tank, obviously :P

True - of course, the vehicle could lose the fuel tank with all the gas in it, then the engine, and likely the drivetrain, and still come out weighing more than an adult Asian elephant.

Also, I voted DS, so stick it!

Did you know that monkeys styled that car?

:D

Toronado
Where were you in the Veyron thread when me and Blazin were arguing about the Hennesy Viper?

Are you saying he actually argued that the Hennessey Viper was a production car? By the way, are you ready to be impressed?

adj-viper1.jpg

July 8, 2005 - Denver, Colo.

I didn't know what I had seen until I got home and showed some people.

But anyways, quite technically, it is only barely the best in all of those things. It's top speed was faster by 1 MPH. It's acceleration was faster by .1 seconds, etc.

Indeed, though given the technology of today and the rate of advancement and the like, it's unlikely that these things will ever progress much faster than that in the future without some huge advancements. And at the end of the day, it's still the fastest, whether by 1mph or 100mph.

M5Power
Are you saying he actually argued that the Hennessey Viper was a production car? By the way, are you ready to be impressed?
Nah, he argued that the Hennesy was more important the the Veyron not only because it was faster, but because it used less cylinders (which is really negligable, becuase it still used a larger engine) and turbos *which is negligable because the Veyron is undoubtably a smoother car than the Viper) to accomplish the same task. At which point we fought because he thought a tuner Viper was more important than the Veyron.
M5Power
Indeed, though given the technology of today and the rate of advancement and the like, it's unlikely that these things will ever progress much faster than that in the future without some huge advancements. And at the end of the day, it's still the fastest, whether by 1mph or 100mph.
But the car it was faster than by both of those measurements (which, it must be said, was argueable as a production car) made due with a lot less stuff (noth mechanically and technologically) to do it, even less then the 'Egg.
And what about the S7 TT 1000? That should theoritcally be as fast as the Veyron, as the TT 750 was close enough.

Errr, Japanese cars, or voting for DS/Veyron/Clio. Hennessey not allowed in this thread.

Toronado
Nah, he argued that the Hennesy was more important the the Veyron not only because it was faster, but because it used less cylinders (which is really negligable, becuase it still used a larger engine) and turbos *which is negligable because the Veyron is undoubtably a smoother car than the Viper) to accomplish the same task. At which point we fought because he thought a tuner Viper was more important than the Veyron.

I think the sole fact that the Veyron comes like that from the factory makes it more important the Viper, regardless of anything else. Especially because it's so difficult to actually get a Hennessey Viper, what with the time it takes Hennessey to get off his ass and start modifying the thing. :D

But the car it was faster than by both of those measurements (which, it must be said, was argueable as a production car) made due with a lot less stuff (noth mechanically and technologically) to do it, even less then the 'Egg.
And what about the S7 TT 1000? That should theoritcally be as fast as the Veyron, as the TT 750 was close enough.

I must admit I don't know enough about the high-end ultracar game to get in to this discussion - all I know is that the Veyron is the fastest, and that the S7 is a spectacular vehicle. I presume you're also referring to a Koenigsegg though I don't pay enough attention to that brand to comment on it in any sort of educated manner.

M5Power
I must admit I don't know enough about the high-end ultracar game to get in to this discussion - all I know is that the Veyron is the fastest, and that the S7 is a spectacular vehicle. I presume you're also referring to a Koenigsegg though I don't pay enough attention to that brand to comment on it in any sort of educated manner.
I was speaking more of the Dauer than the 'Egg. I don't care for the 'Egg. It's (the Dauer's) status as a production vehicle is arguable, but I view it as one.

M5Power
Indeed, it's the most powerful, quickest, and fastest production car. And no, I couldn't care less about what some tuner has done with some Mustang, or some crap like that. The key term here is "production."

Magic.

I hear the "clue" shop is having a sale. I'd nip down there if I were you. Soon.

M5Power
The vehicle will be idolized for years to come, even if the 15 people who voted for the DS are too incompetent to see that now (presumably the people who voted for the Clio are too incompetent to ever see it).

We like to keep a close eye on polls, and a very amusing pattern has emerged with regards to the voting split between the DS and Veyron. I'm not at liberty to say what it is, but it made us chuckle so much that Giles spilled some of his custard doughnut on the staffroom floor - and I genuinely hurt my back.

Famine
Magic.
I hear the "clue" shop is having a sale. I'd nip down there if I were you. Soon.

Okay, I get that part. But what pattern do you see emerging? Does it have to do with what members voted for the Veyron in regards to the DS?

daan
Errr, Japanese cars, or voting for DS/Veyron/Clio. Hennessey not allowed in this thread.
Evidently spurning intellectual conversation is.

Famine
Magic.

You know what's interesting? Twice now you've told me I'm wrong about the Veyron holding all these records and yet twice now you've failed to provide no evidence to the contrary, personally insulting me instead (both times!). A moderator would likely tell you to either provide some evidence to the contrary or back off, but since there's not an impartial one present I'll do it. Provide some evidence to the contrary or back off.

We like to keep a close eye on polls, and a very amusing pattern has emerged with regards to the voting split between the DS and Veyron. I'm not at liberty to say what it is, but it made us chuckle so much that Giles spilled some of his custard doughnut on the staffroom floor - and I genuinely hurt my back.

Is this message attempting to indicate impropriety or fraud?

Define production road car?

Famine hasn't insulted you. He's saying you don't get something, which is not an insult, an insult would have been, your thick (I'm not calling you thick btw, but that would be an insult).

I asked my mom about the DS. She said it was comfortable, but at the same time the ride was kinda wavvy, and when sitting in the back it would make her sick. So she didnt like the car all that much at all to the point she screwed up her face when reminscing about the car.

Why do you spell mum mom, your not American :odd:?

The car didn't get so much merit for it's ride quality for nothing.

EDIT: The to the contrary part wasn't the treble negative. He was saying... ah never mind.

for the Japanese poll id like to nominate:
nissan pulsar/sunny gti-r ~ anyone who knows this car knows why
honda crx
mitsi evo 6 - best evo ever
nissan silvia spec R and finally
suzuki cultus gti - this car was so ahead of its time

M5Power
You know what's interesting? Twice now you've told me I'm wrong about the Veyron holding all these records and yet twice now you've failed to provide no evidence to the contrary

"Failed to provide no evidence?"

M5Power
personally insulting me instead (both times!).

Worried someone is stealing your thunder, hmm?

Incidentally, twice? Which words of mine do you consider to be insulting?

M5Power
A moderator would likely tell you to either provide some evidence to the contrary or back off, but since there's not an impartial one present

:lol:

That's really rather poor. I'm surprised at you.

M5Power
Provide some evidence to the contrary or back off.

I'll note that YOU made the claim that the Veyron was the fastest, quickest and most powerful production car in the world and so it is beholden on YOU to prove that claim, not on me to disprove it.

You know how much you like posting numbers. Go on...

M5Power
Is this message attempting to indicate impropriety or fraud?

The message makes no attempts at anything. There is merely a very funny pattern which, because the poll is not public, I am not at liberty to share with you. Were there any impropriety or fraud, it would be rectified as soon as it came to light.

M5Power
Sixty-five road units or more.

As of yet, the Veyron has not passed that production figure and so, despite a claimed 70 orders, cannot be reckoned as a production road car - by your definition.

live4speed
Why do you spell mum mom, your not American :odd:?

The car didn't get so much merit for it's ride quality for nothing.

Well I dont know I didnt ride in it, I can only go by what my mom says. As for my spelling blame the time I spent abroad. I alternate the spelling alot.

She did say it was comfortable, but wavvy. Obviously she would be comparing the ride to cars from today, most notably big mercs and im sure cars these days ride better if theyre aim is ultimate comfort at all costs.

She has been in loads of cars, and has had muscle cars, caddies. mercs volvo's fords' audi's, no BMW but she rode in the aplenty. Hell I cant think of a type of car she hasnt been in. My mom changed cars alot before she had children, and so did her mother.

You should hear what she has to say about the way porsches ride.

dont mean to sound stupid but i always thought that bugatti was italian or german never new it was french
to the best of my knowledge (i now thats asking for insults) france hasnt made that many road legal sports cars the only ones i now of are the clio 3 litre v6

i would like to nominate the nissan shyline gtr vspec II (r34 i think) as this is one of my dream cars and i would also like to nominate the lancer evo VIII because they managed to get 400 bhp from a 2 litre engine and i think this is an engineering feet (even if they did use a huge turbo)

Bugatti was a company founded in France by an Italian man, but is currently own by the German VAG group.

France has made a couple of great sports/supercar, of notable mention are the Venturi's.

speed_demon
dont mean to sound stupid but i always thought that bugatti was italian or german never new it was french

It's complicated.

Ettore Bugatti was Italian.
The company was founded in Germany in Alsace.
Germany ceded Alsace to France, so the company became French.
In the late 80s another Italian acquired the name and set up a new factory near Modena, but they went out of business after making the EB110.
VAG acquired Bugatti and set up a new factory in the same place as the first one to make the Veyron.

So it's founded by an Italian in Germany in land given (back) to the French, bought by another Italian and moved to Italy, then bought by Germans and moved back to France in land given (back) to them by Germany.

So they're only French by a freak accident of geography - everything else about them is German and Italian.

Famine

Incidentally, twice? Which words of mine do you find insulting?

You know I'm not sure whether it was "get a clue" or "malodorously wrong." Definitely one of those two. And the funny part is, you're three posts in, and no evidence to the contrary!

I'll note that YOU made the claim that the Veyron was the fastest, quickest and most powerful production car in the world and so it is beholden on YOU to prove that claim, not on me to disprove it.

Actually the statement I made was accepted as fact by everyone else in this thread. Therefore since YOU and you alone made the claim that it wasn't true, it's beholden upon you to prove that claim - not I to prove mine.

You know how much you like posting numbers. Go on...

It's okay though because even though you should be proving your incorrect assertion, I'll prove my accurate one. All from Wikipedia:

According to Volkswagen, the final production Veyron engine produces between 1020 and 1040 metric hp (1006 to 1026 SAE net hp), ... This makes it the most powerful production road-car engine in history.

The Veyron is the quickest production car to reach 100 km/h (62 mph) with an estimated time of 2.5 seconds. ... This makes the Veyron the quickest-accelerating production vehicle in history

Highest top speed:
Sports car - 407 km/h (253 mph) - Bugatti Veyron 16.4

Now go ahead - make a fourth post in which you post yet another personal insult and yet no data to even come near proving your assertions.

The message makes no attempts at anything. There is merely a very funny pattern which, because the poll is not public, I am not at liberty to share with you. Were there any impropriety or fraud, it would be rectified as soon as it came to light.

I presume it has something to do with the age of the voters as hopefully it should.

As of yet, the Veyron has not passed that production figure and so, despite a claimed 70 orders, cannot be reckoned as a production road car - by your definition.

Yes, but there are two distinct problems here. One, the vehicle is still in production. And two, Bugatti has promised 300 vehicles to be made in all. You can't say it's "not a production vehicle" when it's still being produced.

Famine
I knew it.

M5Power
You know I'm not sure whether it was "get a clue" or "malodorously wrong." Definitely one of those two. And the funny part is, you're three posts in, and no evidence to the contrary!

You mean I've "failed to provide no evidence to the contrary"...

Incidentally, neither of the quotes you attribute to me ever appeared. Neither of the quotes in their original format are "personal insults". If you think they are you should use the "Report to Moderator" button.

M5Power
Actually the statement I made was accepted as fact by everyone else in this thread. Therefore since YOU and you alone made the claim that it wasn't true, it's beholden upon you to prove that claim - not I to prove mine.

Not at all. You cannot prove what is untrue - you can only prove what is true. You claim all these wondorous things - I merely ask that you support them (though I know them to be false).

No-one else has posted in this thread to agree with your assertion that the Veyron is the quickest, fastest and most powerful production road car ever. So I'm not sure why you think that it was "accepted as fact by everyone else in this thread".

M5Power
It's okay though because even though you should be proving your incorrect assertion, I'll prove my accurate one. All from Wikipedia:

According to Volkswagen, the final production Veyron engine produces between 1020 and 1040 metric hp (1006 to 1026 SAE net hp), ... This makes it the most powerful production road-car engine in history.

The Veyron is the quickest production car to reach 100 km/h (62 mph) with an estimated time of 2.5 seconds. ... This makes the Veyron the quickest-accelerating production vehicle in history

Highest top speed:
Sports car - 407 km/h (253 mph) - Bugatti Veyron 16.4

Would you like a hint where you went wrong with the middle one?

M5Power
The Veyron is the quickest production car to reach 100 km/h (62 mph) with an estimated time of 2.5 seconds.

Out of interest, have you ever seen this? Has it been recorded by anyone, anywhere? I've seen a verified 2.8s from one, but nothing quicker. If you want to just post random guesses we could be here all week.

M5Power
Now go ahead - make a fourth post in which you post yet another personal insult and yet no data to even come near proving your assertions.

Fourth? We weren't even on a first.

For your reference, the 805hp Koenigsegg CCX will peak, aero-limited, at 255mph (unless you run it on bioethanol, in which case it'll go yet further) - and you don't have to stop and reset the car to do it. The Ultima GTR and Ariel Atom 2 300 will do 0-62mph in 2.7s - with the Ultima going on to beat the Bugatti to 100mph and then back to rest as well. The Weineck Cobra - which has delivered MORE units so far, on a limited production run - produces 1,100hp.

The Barabus TKR beats all of them in all departments (except the Weineck) with a 0-62mph time of 1.67s, a top speed of 270mph and 1005hp. Production has started in Italy and 300 cars are promised.

M5Power
I presume it has something to do with the age of the voters as hopefully it should.

Presume whatever you like. I have no intention of telling you, as I previously said.

M5Power
Yes, but there are two distinct problems here. One, the vehicle is still in production. And two, Bugatti has promised 300 vehicles to be made in all. You can't say it's "not a production vehicle" when it's still being produced.

I didn't say it wasn't a production vehicle. I said that by YOUR criterion alone of 65 road going cars, it wasn't a production car - until that 65th chassis rolls off the production line. YOU laid down no other criteria. If you meant something else, you should probably have said something else.

I would have to nominate the Mazda Miata.
It rejuvenated the whole small-sports-car market, resulting in many great cars we have today, from the Solstice to the Z3.
Cheap, nimble, and easy to drive, it was one-of-a-kind when introduced. Add to that the excellent fuel economy and its' decent looks, and you had the formula for a winner.
Miata.jpg

Honda Civic, hands down.

EK9-TYPER.jpg

It was at the top (or close too) of the gas mileage kings for a long time, then long ago, it helped to start this tuning craze that we're seeing today. Its excellent as a grocery getter, and the sport models are at home on the track or the street. The sales world wide speak for the car, which is why it gets my nomination.

Back