Bioshock

• Thread starter 194GVan
  • 250 comments
The demo is excellent. Heather and I both played through the demo twice on our own 360s and really enjoyed it. The water graphics are beautiful!! I even hacked 3 different machines. Did anyone else figure out how to hack the machines?? Cant wait to buy this game on August 21st!!

Good demo. Heavily scripted but that's just the beginning. At least this game has a strong single player to it.
Actually it reminded me of Timesplitter games, mainly the character design and animation as well as the design of the weapons, but also the use of colour in the levels.
However Bioshock is sure prettier and the sound was great too.
Can't say the gameplay was particularly unique but it played very well with no slowdown and a constant, smooth frame rate. The controls were responsive and thankfully there's no horrid fish-eye lens effect to create an artificial sense of depth and speed of movement (F.E.A.R and others take note).
All in all a definite buy for me. Halo 3 will have to wait!

So just how scary is this game? Never been a fan of the action/horror genre to be honest but from what I have heard this sounds brilliant.

So just how scary is this game? Never been a fan of the action/horror genre to be honest but from what I have heard this sounds brilliant.
Its more creepy than anything else. Its not meant to be a scary game. More of a puzzle solving game kinda like Half Life 2 or PREY but under water with plasmids that alter your DNA. Just DL the free demo.

Its more creepy than anything else. Its not meant to be a scary game. More of a puzzle solving game kinda like Half Life 2 but under water with plasmids that alter your DNA.

I'll try the demo tonight. I've got to play it just to experience the graphics (that's what I've been told anyway).

To summarize, this game is like Doom 3 with elements of Oblivion and System Shock 2 underwater in a 60s utopia gone wrong.

Yup.

The demo's pretty cool, completed it once, I'll probably try again at some point, have a bit of a play about.

It looks awesome, even on my non-HD tv. I'm pretty envious of people playing this in 1080p....

The plasmids are awesome, shocking splicers as they stand in puddles lighting them on fire and watching them run about, setting others aflame..

Near the end of the demo, in the area below the security camera, are you supposed to be swarmed by 5-10 splicers or did I do something wrong? I didn't see any alarm icons. Or is it just scripted?
Whatever it was, it was great battle, electrifying one splicer, then burning another couple before whipping out a machine gun then finishing the last one off with some blows from the trusty wrench :D

To summarize, this game is like Doom 3 with elements of Oblivion and System Shock 2 underwater in a 60s utopia gone wrong.

Yup.

The demo's pretty cool, completed it once, I'll probably try again at some point, have a bit of a play about.

It looks awesome, even on my non-HD tv. I'm pretty envious of people playing this in 1080p....

The plasmids are awesome, shocking splicers as they stand in puddles lighting them on fire and watching them run about, setting others aflame..

Near the end of the demo, in the area below the security camera, are you supposed to be swarmed by 5-10 splicers or did I do something wrong? I didn't see any alarm icons. Or is it just scripted?
Whatever it was, it was great battle, electrifying one splicer, then burning another couple before whipping out a machine gun then finishing the last one off with some blows from the trusty wrench :D

You have to hack the security before you go down into the bottom of that room or splicers will keep coming. Walk up to them and hit x the rest is easy to figure out. If they are shooting you blast them with the electric plasmid. This will temporarily disable them allowing you to hack. If you keep activating the alarm they will keep coming each time. The first time I played through the demo I did it right. The 2nd time I did it wrong and on the medium setting. I died. lol

You have to hack the security or splicers will keep coming. Walk up to them and hit x the rest is easy to figure out. If you keep activating the alarm they will keep coming each time.

True, true. I'll do that next time. Not as if it wasn't good fun having a scrap though.

It's a pretty creepy game though not as much so as Doom. More like condemned in terms of creepy.

Anyone from the UK who has yet to pre-order it, I suggest ordering it from here. This is the absolute cheapest I could find it from a large retailer, and is a great price.

True, true. I'll do that next time. Not as if it wasn't good fun having a scrap though.

It's a pretty creepy game though not as much so as Doom. More like condemned in terms of creepy.

Thats how I feel too. Its creepy like Condemned and creepy like Revenholm in Half Life 2. Cant wait to pick up my pre-order of this game next week on the 21st. Oh BTW I do think the enemies come in 2-3 waves in that room no matter what but if the guns arent hacked it will be a brutal fight. With them hacked they help kill the enemies for you. Also if you set the alarm off again not hacked the waves come again.

BTW I do think the enemies come in 2-3 waves in that room no matter what but if the guns arent hacked it will be a brutal fight. With them hacked they help kill the enemies for you.
Yes, I was about to edit this into my last post. I tried both times destroying and not destroying the security camera, and they still came in a couple of waves.

When you enter the tower/lighthouse you hear music. It's called La Mer - The Sea and the lyrics are -

The sea
which we see dancing along the clear gulfs
has silver reflections.
The sea
has changing reflections
Under the rain.
The sea
To the summer sky's confuses her white sheep
With angels so pure.
The sea,
Shepherdess of infinite blue.
See
Next to the ponds
Those tall wet reeds.
See
Those white birds
And those rusty houses.
The sea
Has rocked them
Along the clear gulfs
And with a love song
The sea
Has rocked my heart for life.

Interestingly something about angels is mentioned by the Little Sisiter when you're laying on the floor after getting your first plasmid.

Going into the toilets reminded me of Silent Hill a little. You see a ghost and you can find the fire plasmid.
I really like this game. Lots of atmosphere!

Going into the toilets reminded me of Silent Hill a little. You see a ghost and you can find the fire plasmid.
I really like this game. Lots of atmosphere!
That's my impression as well. It shares a lot of the same style of atmosphere & story telling as the Silent Hill series. 👍

Yeah, that's the video played at the end of the demo. Looks great.

I can say right now a Big Daddy charging at me at 100mph is really going to make me panic...!

It was very impressive. Weird but impressive. Would I buy it personally though? eh... probably not. It's just not my interest. :indiff:

I really think the graphics in this game are just phenomenal. I spent five minutes just looking at the steps leading up to the tower after I got out of the water - it's really almost photorealistic.

I hope there's a lot of exploring to be done in the game, too. I enjoyed the fighting and abilities a lot, but I loved just going around and exploring the place - the atmosphere is so rich and cool, you just have to.

It's like Myst meets Doom meets Silent Hill meets Dead Rising. :D:tup:

Speaking of Silent Hill similarities... check out some of the concept drawings that Duck alterted us to:

Duċk;2740316
You know that artbook they were going to include in the CE version of BioShock? They're giving it away free online in both lo-res and hi-res versions. 👍

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/artbook.html
Lot's of really interesting visuals! 👍

I noticed among the "enemies" quite a few references to famous film villians as well, including the Phantom of the Opera, Bride of Frankenstein, Re-Animator, and Texas Chainsaw Masacre. :)

OK, so basically some Toys'r'us stores have broke the street date for BioShock. Just lettin' everyone know.

(not mine)

1119685391_148786b450_o.jpg

47b7d635b3127cceb9346e5f27c200000026100AbMWzlu1Ys2Lg

Looks like they're adding an ugly "only on 360 and Windows" sticker onto it.

I really think the graphics in this game are just phenomenal. I spent five minutes just looking at the steps leading up to the tower after I got out of the water - it's really almost photorealistic.

I hope there's a lot of exploring to be done in the game, too. I enjoyed the fighting and abilities a lot, but I loved just going around and exploring the place - the atmosphere is so rich and cool, you just have to.
I also spend more time exploring and searching the environment. I have now played the demo 3 times and every time I find something new. The last time I played I found a kitchen with quite a bit of goodies. It had two splicers that actually had guns. I will have to play the demo again to see if I can find this room.
I cant wait for the full version because once you get past the first few levels its supposed be a free roaming sandbox style game. The first few levels are basically a linear tutorial to get you prepared for the full version. The full version is also supposed to be somewhere around 30-40 hours if you explore everything. I think around 20 if you just run through the game as fast as you can. (but who would want to do that?) I prefer taking my time and enjoying the game. :)

Back