Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 13,173 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"we know better than the stupid peasants".

That sounds like every ruling party in the history of ever.

I'm sure the Tories, or Labour or any other future government, will respect parliamentary sovereignty once we have 'taken back control' and never do things without approval or without selling the electorate a pack of lies before U-turning.

I'm sure the Tories, or Labour or any other future government, will respect parliamentary sovereignty once we have 'taken back control' and never do things without approval or without selling the electorate a pack of lies before U-turning.

Well yes, it's what they do, but the solution to that isn't to have more government. :lol: We can trade with Europe, co-operate when it comes to security, international affairs and pretty much everything else without being part of an organisation that is actively pushing for a United States of Europe and more government and bureaucracy.

I'm sure you can find lots of aspects where the Tories think they know better than the stupid peasants, but Brexit is not a good example compared to other parties.

While true, it is disconcerting how many other parties and party leaders have suggested a second referendum may be preferable to actually doing what the results told them to do.

I can hardly believe May invoked Article 50. I'm not sure Corbyn, Brown or Blair (or Cameron, Howard or Smith) would have done.

I sincerely hope this is an isolated incident or even an accident. My thoughts are with the casualties and their families.

I sincerely hope this is an isolated incident or even an accident. My thoughts are with the casualties and their families.
It sounds like it was a terrorist incident that happened as people were leaving the arena, easily the most vulnerable time of an event. :(

There is no suggestion that anyone should change their behavior. Or is there?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-terror-threat-level-increased-10486244

BESTPIX-The-Prime-Minister-Responds-To-Manchester-Terrorist-Attack.jpg

(Photo: Getty Images Europe)

The UK terror threat level has been increased from severe to critical in the wake of Manchester Arena attack investigation, PM Theresa May has announced.

It means that an attack is expected "imminently".

Anti-terror agencies have been working for the past 24 hours to work out if the suicide bomber who killed 22 and injured 120 more at the Ariana Grande pop concert last night was working alone - or as part of an organised terror cell.

@Dotini - I'd be incredibly surprised if this was lone wolf. That's a significant quantity of explosive that has been created and detonated in an devastatingly effective manner. Unless of course this scumbag was some chemistry wizz I'd be surprised if he alone was capable of this.

The security warning will mean little to the general public except increased visibility of armed police and possible delays at busy events for further security checks.

He was the 22 year old son of Libyan refugees who've been in the UK about 10 years.
Really? It's being reported by the BBC that he was born in Manchester. So that's puts them here for at least 22 years.

Edit: In fact Police have said his older brother (no age given) was born in London so we are looking at more than 22 years.

Last edited:

Given that he's been described as "UK-born" since his identity was announced (first "suspected" and then confirmed by the coroner) I'd guess that you may have misread.

The nationality of his parents will give further grist to the far right's mill (immigrunts is killes) while allowing the establishment to continue to ignore where radicalisation (to both extremes) is actually, really happening on a day-to-day basis - the internet. Which, ironically, is precisely where the battle of ideologies will play out once again.

And how disproportinate attacks, kills and sprees in the Middle East and Africa are reported on regardless of whether it's a western army raid killing civillians or a suicide bomber from that particular region.

LBC and Katie Hopkins have parted ways...

...and her alt-right fans are having a bit of a melt down, failing spectacularly to understand how free speech works.

Sean Hannity likes her. Fox is trying to get rid of him now.

This is a setup by the left media, if I've ever seen one.

I'm not sure that 'the left media' set her up to Tweet:
"22 dead - number rising. Schofield. Don't you even dare. Do not be a part of the problem. We need a final solution #Machester (sic)."
And she's still 'writing' for the Mail.

From the Guardian, two slightly differing critiques on Corbyn's resumption of the campaign speech after Manchester. He is blaming the terrorism on excessive foreign interventions such as Libya, Syria and Iraq, as I understand it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...017-terror-corbyn-may-g7-sicily-politics-live

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn at a vigil in Albert Square, Manchester, earlier this week. Photograph: Martin Rickett/PA

Corbyn’s decision to give an overtly political speech four days after the Manchester attack is being widely described as a “gamble” or even a profound error. But the election will now rightly focus more closely on the issue of security - nothing should be beyond democratic debate.

Many of Corbyn’s life-long stances, such as unilateral disarmament, do not find favour with the electorate. But there was little in his speech today that the average voter would contest. The Conservatives will hope to turn the heightened security debate to their advantage, ruthlessly quoting Corbyn against himself. But on this front, as on others, the Labour leader is proving a tougher opponent than they anticipated.

His reiteration of the blow-back theory of terrorism will cause a massive political row. The Tories, who had been reluctant to attack Corbyn too directly on terrorism in the wake of the Manchester attack, will no longer feel the need to be restrained. In the next 13 days expect to hear a lot about the anti-terrorism measures that Corbyn voted against, his sympathy for the IRA and his previous willingness to call Hamas and Hezbollah ‘friends’.

Sean Hannity likes her. Fox is trying to get rid of him now.

Because the left wing media made her suggest a final solution!

From the Guardian, two slightly differing critiques on Corbyn's resumption of the campaign speech after Manchester. He is blaming the terrorism on excessive foreign interventions such as Libya, Syria and Iraq, as I understand it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...017-terror-corbyn-may-g7-sicily-politics-live

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn at a vigil in Albert Square, Manchester, earlier this week. Photograph: Martin Rickett/PA

Corbyn’s decision to give an overtly political speech four days after the Manchester attack is being widely described as a “gamble” or even a profound error. But the election will now rightly focus more closely on the issue of security - nothing should be beyond democratic debate.

Many of Corbyn’s life-long stances, such as unilateral disarmament, do not find favour with the electorate. But there was little in his speech today that the average voter would contest. The Conservatives will hope to turn the heightened security debate to their advantage, ruthlessly quoting Corbyn against himself. But on this front, as on others, the Labour leader is proving a tougher opponent than they anticipated.

His reiteration of the blow-back theory of terrorism will cause a massive political row. The Tories, who had been reluctant to attack Corbyn too directly on terrorism in the wake of the Manchester attack, will no longer feel the need to be restrained. In the next 13 days expect to hear a lot about the anti-terrorism measures that Corbyn voted against, his sympathy for the IRA and his previous willingness to call Hamas and Hezbollah ‘friends’.
Themselves forgetting that the Tory party has a member (who is also a Tory councillor) who was an active member of the IRA.

Oh and he spoke with Sien Fein, not the IRA (a pedantic but arguable difference), so on that basis if Corbin had IRA contacts then do did Trump, who actually donated to them.

Last edited:
I would hypothesise that every Prime Minister, every Home Secretary and their shadow equivalents since Harold Wilson has held talks with the IRA and/or Sinn Fein.

It's just that they did it in secret so that's... alright?

I suppose that, like the FARC rebels peace deal in Columbia and other civil wars arounds the world, that enmities will linger and resentment will smolder with regard to the IRA? The ghost elephant in the back of the room that never goes away?

I suppose that, like the FARC rebels peace deal in Columbia and other civil wars arounds the world, that enmities will linger and resentment will smolder with regard to the IRA? The ghost elephant in the back of the room that never goes away?
For some, and not for others.

I just find it's attempted use as a political stone to throw rather hypocritical from the Tories.

Just to add to my list of dicks from the Manchester thread:
I believe that the Manchester dick was British, the Westminster dick was British, the dick who killed Jo Cox was British, the dicks who killed Lee Rigby were both British, the dick who tried to bomb mosques was Ukrainian, and the dicks who tried to blow up bits of London were born in England and India. There was also a dick who tried to blow up Exeter, and he was British.

That's an entire decade of all terrorist attacks on the British mainland. 78% British or born within the UK.
Tried to blow up tube train, British.

Back