Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 13,082 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
By the way, a lot of twaddle about two tier policing and justice the last few days, the rightwing “working class” apparently being treated more harshly.

Violent rioters - 32 months in prison.

Just Stop Oil protesters conspiring to block the M25 - 4-5 years in prison.

By the way, a lot of twaddle about two tier policing and justice the last few days, the rightwing “working class” apparently being treated more harshly.

Violent rioters - 32 months in prison.

Just Stop Oil protesters conspiring to block the M25 - 4-5 years in prison.
The sentences for rioters seem right to me, but it's hard to compare with what the JSO protesters were doing.

Although the JSO protests were 'peaceful' i.e. the individuals who planned and executed these protests didn't assault anyone or damage property, their actions (and indeed, their intent) was to disrupt the lives of tens of thousands of people, with no regard for the consequences of that disruption. Need to get to your elderly mother's house to get her out of bed? Screw you. Need to get to hospital to visit your kid? Screw you. Need to get to work? Screw you.

I think the protesters on the ground may have been treated quite harshly, but the organisers of such protests deserve (IMO) harsh penalties for the consequences of what their plans actually achieved.

Last edited:
I don't understand how it's early release if he's supposed to be immediately deported. Unless the Belgians want to release him onto their streets.
I'm not sure how this works

A) Is he definitely being immediately deported once released?
B) Will he be imprisoned once in Belgium?

We are still in a grace period to blame 15 years of unparalleled cuts to the justice system.
Cuts are a major cause, but we can send a strong message by coming down hard on offenders.

Last edited:
A rather moving cartoon in the Grauniad this week:

View attachment 1379323
This image really gets to me, where I’m an immigrant (moved here in 2017) and honestly hesitant to talk to people outside my circle about my background and the opportunities of a good quality of life the Uk has offered.

It’s quite sad that I feel this way and yet I’m not visually “foreign” so I’m “safe” and hate to imagine what others must be feeling.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how this works

A) Is he definitely being immediately deported once released?
B) Will he be imprisoned once in Belgium?

Cuts are a major cause, but we can send a strong message by coming down hard on offenders.
Clause 28 in the link I posted says he's liable for immediate deportation. Whether he is or not depends on the circumstances of his case as the judge says, circumstances with which I'm not intimately familiar. That's why I posted the decision.

What the Belgians do is up to them. British courts have no control over that as far as I know.

Last edited:
But why let it get to that stage? Others with non-violent (or less serious violent) convictions must be more suitable for early release.
Who's to say they're not already being considered for it? I'm not a lawyer and I'd be on shaky ground trying to second guess a judge's legal decision. Maybe it's that as Natty is a minor there are maximum sentences they can impose, or that some kind of behind the scenes plea bargain was involved.

Once again I suggest reading the decision rather than trying to get me to explain it.

Last edited:
Who's to say they're not already being considered for it? I'm not a lawyer and I'd be on shaky ground trying to second guess a judge's legal decision. Maybe it's that as Natty is a minor there are maximum sentences they can impose, or that some kind of behind the scenes plea bargain was involved.

Once again I suggest reading the decision rather than trying to get me to explain it.
I think there is some confusion here.

His sentence was for 2 years and 8 months but under the new law to combat overcrowded prisons he will be released after only serving 6 months.

My problem is with that - the initial sentence is a separate issue.

The sewage continues to pump. Nice one Rachel and keep crying, Torygraph.

Screenshot_20240813-225120.png

Probably the worst POV I've seen, worse than how the media has even portrayed it.

Watched all of Wesleys videos lately, well worth it.

Funnily enough, he has two videos that show how all sides cherry-pick. Saw a video today saying how a woman got nearly 2 years for pushing a wheelie bin at police (no mention that it was on FIRE at the time!) And then he was at a London protest which was labeled as far right on most news channels, yet his video shows a Sikh and one of the organizers giving a speech saying how blacks and whites need to unite before some kicked off after being kettled in by the Police.

Last edited:

I mean, really...? 😅

This fanny (John Honey) looted a Lush store... I wouldn't accept that stuff if they offered it to me for free. What was he planning to do, sell it on eBay? This is also the same fud that was filmed looting an O2 shop - for screen protectors...

It calls to mind an old expression my Mum used to say - you may as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb - implying that if you are going to risk breaking the law, you may as well go large. This moron, however, seems to have got it the wrong way round. Fanny.

Last edited:

Anyone have experience with physician associates, or "PAs"?
Here's more to the story with a distinctly right wing view

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm putting that out there to show how the right view the deskilling of medical professionals, although it does highlight the problem with relying on locum/agency staff.

Last edited:
What do other Londoners (and Brits) think of Carnival?

This can't go on, surely?

3 stabbings already on the "family day", 1 life threatening, 90 arrests.

Put it in parks or something.

Last edited:
What do other Londoners (and Brits) think of Carnival?

This can't go on, surely?

3 stabbings already on the "family day", 1 life threatening, 90 arrests.

Put it in parks or something.

I only went to the Notting Hill Carnival once and I can't say I enjoyed it much - but those scenes of overcrowding are scary. And, unless something is done about it, there will be a crushing incident there before much longer.

Edinburgh's Hogmanay celebrations were forced to radically change after 1996 - I was there and we did hear that there had been some incidents, but I haven't actually seen the figures about it before now, and it seems it was alot more serious that I had realised.

After that, it became ticketed and the main streets were sealed off after a certain time, but there has still been overcrowding issues recently. But '96 was a wake up call, and it could have been utterly disastrous.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back