Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 13,079 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Can't think why...

IMG_20240902_214712.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of weird...

"A joyless corporation which isn't my friend or obligated to continue to lean into something once it stops being worth its while isn't going to continue giving even the most basic fan-service to my delusional, empty existence defined by the fact I like a dog****, needlessly twee, derivative kids' book.

BOOO."

In July it warned that nothing would be planned this year and has said thousands turned up last year causing operational issues at the station.
And they still showed up? Entitled idiots.

So, an indication of popularity for future opposition leaders:

"The former immigration minister Robert Jenrick topped the poll of MPs with 28 votes followed by Kemi Badenoch on 22 votes.

Third was James Cleverly with 21, fourth was Tom Tugendhat with 17, fifth was Mel Stride with 16 and last was Dame Priti on 14."

Not that I mind Patel missing out, but for ***** sake. Jenrick, Badenoch and Cleverly???

I was half hoping the Tories might have learned something from one of their biggest defeats ever, and reformed themselves into something remotely electable, but it seems not.

So, an indication of popularity for future opposition leaders:

"The former immigration minister Robert Jenrick topped the poll of MPs with 28 votes followed by Kemi Badenoch on 22 votes.

Third was James Cleverly with 21, fourth was Tom Tugendhat with 17, fifth was Mel Stride with 16 and last was Dame Priti on 14."

Not that I mind Patel missing out, but for ***** sake. Jenrick, Badenoch and Cleverly???

I was half hoping the Tories might have learned something from one of their biggest defeats ever, and reformed themselves into something remotely electable, but it seems not.
Amanda Huggenkiss Tom Tugendhat appears to be the 'best' of a bad bunch. But that doesn't say much. Who even is Mel Stride?

He knows all he has and has ever had are undeliverable promises. The people who voted for him this year don't all have low intelligence - the more common link is that they feel ignored and angry. Starmer has to get wise to it and head it off early but I don't think he has the political nous to.

A similar thing might evolve in America under Harris.

Farage slagged off Clacton before he announced he was running so I am not sure about that one.
Talking more about the Reform voters I know in my part of London. Without the Farage Factor, they likely wouldn't have been supporting Reform. I wouldn't say they're unintelligent; both white English and on benefits with one who is very entitled and although they should see through the lazy rhetoric are still wanting the impossible. Pretty sure they are against Harris too.

I don't want to be mistaken for a Tories-only attack, Grenfell Tower existed under multiple different governments both local and national, but this is also worth a chilling watch. Appeal to emotion warning.

And all those rats will walk free.
Of course.

Just like the Tories who have created the mess around associate practitioners * replacing doctors while simultaneously buggering up the training of doctors will get away with it.

And I guarantee that when the **** hits the fan and more people die they'll have the gall to blame Labour.

EDIT:

* I don't even know if there is a catch all term for nursing practitioners, prescribing pharmacists, physician associates etc

Last edited:
* I don't even know if there is a catch all term for nursing practitioners, prescribing pharmacists, physician associates etc
I work in the Workforce department for a large teaching hospital, there isn't a general term as there are several workstreams where non-medical staff can cover for a doctor. Nursing practitioners do not cover doctor's duties. Physician's Associates, Anaesthetic Associates and Advanced Clinical Practitioners are the roles we use.

I work in the Workforce department for a large teaching hospital, there isn't a general term as there are several workstreams where non-medical staff can cover for a doctor. Nursing practitioners do not cover doctor's duties. Physician's Associates, Anaesthetic Associates and Advanced Clinical Practitioners are the roles we use.
Cover which parts for a doctor? On call shifts?

Cover which parts for a doctor? On call shifts?
ACPs, AAs and PAs covered the junior doctors shifts while they were on strike and got a shed-load of money for it.

Agency doctors also covered the gaps and naturally got paid more money per hour than I get per week if it was out of hours.

Last edited:
ACPs, AAs and PAs covered the junior doctors shifts while they were on strike and got a shed-load of money for it.

Agency doctors also covered the gaps and naturally got paid more money per hour than I get per week if it was out of hours.
That isn't still going on now, is it?

With the GMC getting involved in regulation I can only see PAs being dramatically pegged back.

In September 2023, 3,300 physician associates were employed across primary and secondary care in England; in 2015, the number was just 122. In nursing in England, meanwhile, FT analysis has found that the number of support roles is up by 38 per cent since 2010, a more rapid increase than that of qualified nurses. The trend has also occurred across mental health, community, adult and children’s services.“Task-shifting” — assigning some work to lower qualified people in order to preserve higher-skilled staff for jobs only they can do — has become an increasingly prominent feature of health systems in many parts of the world, as they battle to deal with structural rises in the demand for care caused by growing and ageing populations, exacerbated by the shock of Covid-19.FT analysis of WHO data also found a surge in the number of healthcare assistants — an ancillary role that in a hospital involves helping patients wash or monitoring their vital signs, or assisting with equipment and health checks in a surgery — in Ireland and Germany between 2009 and 2021. Countries such as Norway and Denmark already have a larger per capita number of healthcare assistants than the UK, according to the latest data.Yet there are serious questions about the long-term impacts, which are still relatively poorly understood. Alison Leary, a healthcare professor at London South Bank University who has made a particular study of nursing associates, says that, while adjunct roles can be valuable, “the issue is when those roles are substituted for the registered professional”, noting a wider “deprofessionalisation” of the public sector which she argues has occurred in multiple fields over the past 15 years.

This is the chief exec of UMAPs, the union for PAs, AAs and SCPs:

Not really reassuring.

EDIT: Are people able to read this:

Or should I link to the original article?

‌Afaq Ali Sartaj, a physician associate in neurosurgery at Royal Preston Hospital, told the Physician Associate Podcast that he had “zero training in neurosurgery or neurology” during his course to become a PA and it was “all on-the-job learning”.

‌He now “scrubs in and operates on things like subdural haematoma evacuations”, which involves removing a pool of blood from a brain bleed after drilling a hole in the skull.

‌He regularly performs lumbar punctures and drains, which involve a small needle into the spinal cord to release pressure, and teaches junior doctors how to do them and “the insertion of intracranial pressure bolts - a small burr hole into the skull and then insert a little wire to measure the pressure.”

‌Mr Sartaj said during “awake craniotomies” for tumours, where a surgeon removes part of the skull, he assesses patients’ speech and motor functions with tests to ensure the surgeon was not going too deep into the brain and risking permanent damage.

‌Another PA, currently in vascular surgery, went from working as a medical secretary to “co-operating major limb amputations” after undergoing a two-year postgraduate course.

‘Major limb amputations’​

‌“Under supervision I can perform toe amputations and alongside either a registrar or consultant I will cooperate in major limb amputations,” she told the Physician Associate Podcast.

‌“There have been cases where I’ve scrubbed in and opened a patient surgically and dissected down to a vein and harvested the vein for a bypass procedure.”

‌The PA, who works at University Hospitals Birmingham, said she was “training in endovenous surgical procedures” to treat varicose veins and had completed “a two-day course for ultrasound scanning” and a three-day surgical skill course alongside trainee surgeons.
An A&E doctor told the Telegraph that a PA in the department had given him a prescription slip to approve 16 times the correct daily amount of tramadol - an opioid painkiller.

south-park.gif

Last edited:
Back