Bugatti to Reveal All-New V16 Hypercar on June 20

I just saw an interview with Mate Rimac in German:

I didn't know he speaks German. He must have grown up in Germany, because if you learn a new language in school, it's not the same as growing up or living in that country.

For me: 9,500 rpm NA V16 > 9,000 rpm W16

That is more than likely how it will sound. Catchpole's video compares the 3 Cosworth built engines between Aston Martin, Gordan Murray, & Bugatti, and the Bugatti does not have that loud pitch of the others. In fact, it has the toned down grunt Bugatti's W16 made.

I would imagine this is a purposely made decision given the intended use of the Bugatti & its clientele versus that of the Valkyrie & the T.50.
Great if it’s really gonna sound like that. I didn’t mean to prefer the Tourbillon with a screaming sound with my previous post, I just wanted it to be higher-pitched than the deep bellow of the Veyron/Chiron.

Although I just revisited the Chiron’s sound on Youtube, and I must say under hard acceleration it doesn’t sound too bad either.

I just remembered my favourite fluid dynamics term: turbule. As in: a single "packet" of turbulence, the smallest possible vortex; imminent entropy.
Any kit-car manufacturers reading this? A Honda VFR-powered kit-car would sound pretty close, and they rev to 12k, even if it won't set your trousers on fire. Maybe just get an MT-10 and have fun whilst everyone else is debating the relative merits of the generally unattainable... :D
Great if it’s really gonna sound like that. I didn’t mean to prefer the Tourbillon with a screaming sound with my previous post, I just wanted it to be higher-pitched than the deep bellow of the Veyron/Chiron.

Although I just revisited the Chiron’s sound on Youtube, and I must say under hard acceleration it doesn’t sound too bad either.
I think you might not be disappointed. It will be less coarse than the outgoing W16, but far from the wail of the equal-length 6-into-1 exhausts on the V12s you mention.

Since it's not turbo-charged, the chances of some interesting and eye-wateringly priced aftermarket exhaust systems may well allow the new V16 engine to properly shriek (in much the same way the BRM V16 does from the right angles).

Alternatively, it would be very easy to make it sound similar to the W16 as well.

I didn't know he speaks German. He must have grown up in Germany, because if you learn a new language in school, it's not the same as growing up or living in that country.
From Wikipedia

Rimac was born in Livno, SR Bosnia and Herzegovina, SFR Yugoslavia (present day Bosnia and Herzegovina) in 1988 to Zdenka and Ivan Rimac. The family temporarily moved to Frankfurt, Germany in 1991, when he was three years old, to escape the nascent Yugoslav Wars which had rendered the family's home region uninhabitable.[15] The family lived in Germany until 2000, after which they moved to Croatia, settling in Samobor, where Rimac's father founded a real estate company.[16]

Here's a great video on the historic context and the engineering details of the Tourbillon

I just remembered my favourite fluid dynamics term: turbule. As in: a single "packet" of turbulence, the smallest possible vortex; imminent entropy.
Any kit-car manufacturers reading this? A Honda VFR-powered kit-car would sound pretty close, and they rev to 12k, even if it won't set your trousers on fire. Maybe just get an MT-10 and have fun whilst everyone else is debating the relative merits of the generally unattainable... :D

I think you might not be disappointed. It will be less coarse than the outgoing W16, but far from the wail of the equal-length 6-into-1 exhausts on the V12s you mention.

Since it's not turbo-charged, the chances of some interesting and eye-wateringly priced aftermarket exhaust systems may well allow the new V16 engine to properly shriek (in much the same way the BRM V16 does from the right angles).

Alternatively, it would be very easy to make it sound similar to the W16 as well.

And just for anyone that doesn't know, that towering sound of the BRM is being produced from an engine with less displacement than a Toyota Prius.

In terms of kit cars with unique sounding engines, I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for somebody to due some sort of Morgan 3-wheeler fascimile with a Yamaha V-Max engine. Might just have to do it myself.

Older model but engine has the same characteristics

And specifically regarding that Honda motor in a car....definitely not pants on fire fast as you say, but the sound is oh so good.

The downshift and pull at 9:35 is incredible.

Last edited:
Back