Bugatti to Reveal All-New V16 Hypercar on June 20

As if it has been 8 years since the Chiron...

What Is Going On Time Travel GIF by Pudgy Penguins

This will be hilariously bad.

I’m guessing 2000 kg, 2000 hp, automatic transmission and a footprint of a small tank.

Last edited:

Edit:
Exaggerated pointing 🐽 nose
Looks like pouting mouths that got obnoxious plastic surgery....I am not feeling it at all
It looks weird on the elongated front end.

Last edited:
If I had the money, I'd pass. That nose is not where its at for me. But it does make me appreciate the Chiron even more.

Jerome

Absolutely incredible car.

Love the engine, love the styling, love the interior and love the name.
I would wait for the special 100 year edition restyled for 2030, hopefully with a better nose job...
Start saving boys and girls... 5 years to save $4M (that's how much it will cost by them with inflation...)
Edit: Make it an even $5M

Last edited:
Yeah that one.

So the Veyron was named after a racing driver
The Chiron was named after a racing driver
And this one is named after...a watch movement?

Am I the only one that thinks that's kinda dumb?
It could be worse, it could be named after whirlpools, which is what a tourbillon is usually refered to in French. The Bugatti Whirlpool.

I'm fine that it looks more svelte than the Veyron ever could. Not a fan of the front overhangs(looking at you Enzo). Yes, I understand why such cars have long snouts. I just don't like them.

Anyway, I don't have to worry about seeing them all over the place. Except maybe auto feeds and car show spottings. blink blink Yeah, that kind of are everywhere I look. :lol:

For some reason, my brain keeps seeing the Revuelto in the basic outline of this car's profile.

Edit* It just clicked for me that I have seen this car's profile before, but it's not the Lambo. It's their Mistral that, looking back, was basically giving us the first insight at the Chiron's successor considering that car is not a Chiron variant.

Last edited:
I like it's overall proportions, especially those muscular rear haunches, but that front end... :yuck:

Bugatti LOL Guy

LOLGuy.jpg

Last edited:
It looks to quite an incredible piece of engineering. Keeping the weight of the Chiron with all that extra complexity of electric motors, batteries, etc must've been a challenge. It's one of the few of these ultra-expensive cars that actually get me excited.

I bet it's going to be an absolute b**ch to work on as a mechanic with that packaging.

This is a good point. Hard for me to see the car it goes in remaining midship like the Veyron/Chiron. Even V12 midship cars are pushing the limit in terms of packaging and start to really compromise the cabin because to maintain a somewhat reasonable wheelbase, the driver has to be crunched up near the front wheels, often leading to problems like footwell intrusion by the front wheels. The center driving position (Mclaren F1) gets around this, but I doubt Bugatti would go for that. Maybe they are planning to cleverly package the gearbox so that the axle centerline is midway through the sump, something like BMWs Xdrive or the many others that do this now. Knowing Bugatti, it will very likely be AWD, so maybe they've flipped the drivetrain so the gearbox is in front of the engine with a transfer case taking the power back to the rear wheels. Or knowing Rimac, maybe the engine is just a generator? That would be a bit of a shame, but who knows.
So somehow they packaged a midship V16 car with the gearbox BEHIND the engine. I think we're seeing the dihedral doors because they had to bring the seats closer together so the driver's and passenger's feet are not in the front wheel wells, which required deeper sills, which then required the ability to step into the car more from the top. It's pretty remarkably that they were able to roughly keep the proportions of the previous models with an engine basically twice as long. I feel like it's slightly more cab forward, but not dramatically so.

Bugatti-Tourbillon-Side.jpg

lead5-bugatti-grand-sport-review.jpg

5f78f160ca2230e102f3dc50019a3060.jpg

I am now very curious to see what the Sketch Monkey will say about this....

I find that for the majority of cars, I am very much in line with him and his visual design taste.

I would like to see a few small slight changes to the Tourbillon to make is perfect

For now
From the latest :

The most contemporary example is the new Revuelto which has the exact same layout, engine, 3 motors, AWD. Lambo isn't putting the transmission in front of the engine anymore, it's behind now. Two motors at the front, one motor in the transmission, bettery pack between the seats. The only reason the Lambo transmission used to be forward was to help with mechanical AWD packaging but hybrids make that a thing of the past.

So we've got a long-ass V16 in the behind the driver, a transmission and motor right over top/behind the rear axle, a battery pack between the seats, and two motors and other electrical hardware at the front.

Also, is this V16 non-turbo? It sounds naturally aspirated.

So somehow they packaged a midship V16 car with the gearbox BEHIND the engine. I think we're seeing the dihedral doors because they had to bring the seats closer together so the driver's and passenger's feet are not in the front wheel wells, which required deeper sills, which then required the ability to step into the car more from the top. It's pretty remarkably that they were able to roughly keep the proportions of the previous models with an engine basically twice as long. I feel like it's slightly more cab forward, but not dramatically so.

View attachment 1366671
View attachment 1366672
View attachment 1366673
I don't think there's a mystery to the packaging. It's totally conventional. It's the same as the Revuelto but also the same as the LaFerrari which isn't new at all:

5d94db02d6f4125e09942f31-ferrari-laferrari-2013-engine-focuson-desktop-02-scaled.jpeg

The transmission is entirely behind the rear axle, I'm not sure where else you think it would be. Here's an F50:

Ferrari-F50-Engine-and-Transmission.jpg

The only reason Lamborghinis and Bugattis ever put the transmission in front was because of mechanical AWD but the traditional method has always been putting the transmission behind the engine and often behind the axle entirely depending on the length of the car. With modern hybrid drives, Lambo and Bugat have been able to remove the front driveshaft and go back to a traditional layout. This car's rear is a bit longer, especially the lower half and diffuser, but they still may have done what McLaren did and make the transmission transverse.

DSC04970.thumb.JPG.1655a26acbc3b83f3cf613108b91ceb6.JPG

Obviously the F1's rear end is notoriously short and the car itself is tiny, about 10 inches shorter than a first-gen Viper which you know is a surprisingly tiny car with a massively long engine, and yet they still fit all that hardware in the back. Everything about this Bugatti has been done before, including the hybrid drive. Bugatti has never done anything revolutionary on the Veyron series beyond turning the dials up to 11. Call me biased but I'm still kind of dumbfounded that people are so enamored with the engineering of these cars. The most special thing about them is Volkswagen's loose budget.

Last edited:
Bugatti has never done anything revolutionary on the Veyron series beyond turning the dials up to 11. Call me biased but I'm still kind of dumbfounded that people are so enamored with the engineering of these cars. The most special thing about them is Volkswagen's loose budget.
A reminder of Ferdinand Piech's requirements for the Veyron:
With the new Bugatti, owners should not only be able to experience unprecedented performance, speeds of over 400 km/h and acceleration from zero to 100 in less than three seconds on the road and the race track – and always with the same set of tyres – but should also be able to comfortably drive the car to the opera house on the same day.

That's why the Veyron was a technical marvel for its time. Grandma could drive a 1,000Hp rocket ship w/ a massive engine like she drove a 200Hp Golf. It's only just now 20 years later, that we have quite a few 1,000Hp production cars for people to use everyday. Except the non-EV ones are still built on rapid fire horsepower, & the EVs are, well, mostly luxury cars that produce a big jolt of acceleration, but not much in terms of speed. Reliability varies quite a lot.

Bugatti has perfected the art of Ferdinand's goal since then. However, it runs into the old scenario of Reliable/Fast/Cheap, pick 2. It's notoriously expensive to accomplish its feat hence no other manufacturer really tackled such things in 2004.

The simulated speedometer going to 550kmh is funny:

That’s about the speed of a top fuel dragster.
The Chiron tops out about 490 kph. I guess 300 horsepower more will push the new tumbler past that and closer to that 550 kph.

I don't think there's a mystery to the packaging. It's totally conventional. It's the same as the Revuelto but also the same as the LaFerrari which isn't new at all:

5d94db02d6f4125e09942f31-ferrari-laferrari-2013-engine-focuson-desktop-02-scaled.jpeg

The transmission is entirely behind the rear axle, I'm not sure where else you think it would be. Here's an F50:

Ferrari-F50-Engine-and-Transmission.jpg

The only reason Lamborghinis and Bugattis ever put the transmission in front was because of mechanical AWD but the traditional method has always been putting the transmission behind the engine and often behind the axle entirely depending on the length of the car. With modern hybrid drives, Lambo and Bugat have been able to remove the front driveshaft and go back to a traditional layout. This car's rear is a bit longer, especially the lower half and diffuser, but they still may have done what McLaren did and make the transmission transverse.

DSC04970.thumb.JPG.1655a26acbc3b83f3cf613108b91ceb6.JPG

Obviously the F1's rear end is notoriously short and the car itself is tiny, about 10 inches shorter than a first-gen Viper which you know is a surprisingly tiny car with a massively long engine, and yet they still fit all that hardware in the back. Everything about this Bugatti has been done before, including the hybrid drive. Bugatti has never done anything revolutionary on the Veyron series beyond turning the dials up to 11. Call me biased but I'm still kind of dumbfounded that people are so enamored with the engineering of these cars. The most special thing about them is Volkswagen's loose budget.
I think you're rather underselling fitting a V16 between the passenger compartment and the rear wheels, but placing the gearbox behind the axle I guess is pretty obvious and necessary.

I never realized the F1 had a transverse gearbox, but when you see the cutaway, it's apparent how little space there is for a gearbox back there:
cutaway_1600.jpg

You can also see how the pedal box is basically at the front axle centerline. The center seat configuration was 100% necessary to achieve the exterior dimensions of the car.

A reminder of Ferdinand Piech's requirements for the Veyron:

That's why the Veyron was a technical marvel for its time. Grandma could drive a 1,000Hp rocket ship w/ a massive engine like she drove a 200Hp Golf. It's only just now 20 years later, that we have quite a few 1,000Hp production cars for people to use everyday. Except the non-EV ones are still built on rapid fire horsepower, & the EVs are, well, mostly luxury cars that produce a big jolt of acceleration, but not much in terms of speed. Reliability varies quite a lot.

Bugatti has perfected the art of Ferdinand's goal since then. However, it runs into the old scenario of Reliable/Fast/Cheap, pick 2. It's notoriously expensive to accomplish its feat hence no other manufacturer really tackled such things in 2004.
I suppose we can use the word marvel because it was impressive but it wasn't a pioneer in my opinion, or particularly innovative. The tires actually might be the most impressive part of the car. Otherwise, the package was simply various conventional technologies packed tightly and made reliable. I'm not sure we know how reliable honestly because the maintenance schedule is intense and even the highest mileage car is well below what a Corolla achieves with mere oil changes. I've never seen a video of one not working, I'll say that.
That’s about the speed of a top fuel dragster.
The Chiron tops out about 490 kph. I guess 300 horsepower more will push the new tumbler past that and closer to that 550 kph.
The debut presentation also mentioned the aero work. The car has probably gained more speed from drag reduction and profile changes than 300 extra powers. At those speeds, huge power increases are needed to go even a little bit faster so the easiest thing is to refine the aero.

Last edited:
Back