Building a "cheap" PC - Final ~$1100 (AMD945/4GB RAM/1TB/ATI 5770HD/550W/24" XL2370)

• Thread starter icelt
  • 133 comments
I like this Sapphire, since it's the cheapest. :D Rear exhaust is pretty nice too.

Generally you can shop by price unless you're partial to a certain manufacturer like XFX with their double lifetime warranty* or looking for specific features.

I do not work for XFX.

That card is still more expensive than the one that I linked to.

Noticed that too. I'm sure when he originally saw it was like $20 cheaper or so... no big whup.

Since you are satisfied with your HIS, why not grab this.

Yep I am happy, in no small part thanks to the input of you gtp'ers. I'm just trying to give my friend options is all.

Yep I am happy, in no small part thanks to the input of you gtp'ers. I'm just trying to give my friend options is all.

I think the thing that can differ the most between different manufacturers of one model(same memory size) is the cooling solution and then maybe outputs.

So the HIS and that Sapphire look like good choices.

Basically win7 won't boot properly any longer. I'm trying safe mode as I type.

OK... safe mode booted. I checked the system logs and found a junk load of errors associated with the IDE controller and hard disk in general. So now I trying to run check disk for system errors and bad sectors but it seems kinda hung up. I did run the CD for system errors earlier in the day with the report back that some errors were found and fixed.

Now trying to re-boot and see if CD will run on restart.

On restart CD did not run but now the OS booted just fine. Weird. Trying a full CD run JIC again though and it IS running this time.

Just looking for moral support if nothing else I suppose.

Am I taking the right steps basically?

Last edited:
Ok the computer is running better, but I'm still a little concerned with this result from HDTune:

hdtunef.jpg

I have switched the sata cables between the HD and DVD but I understand from googling this warning that even if that fixes the problem this error report won't disappear.

So if the number of communication errors does not increase from the present value I should be in clear. Is that a reasonable conclusion?

Back