Car magazine tests GT5 virtual v reality at Laguna Seca

• Thread starter d1ffuse
  • 60 comments
Funnily enough I caught a repeat of the Top Gear show in the NSX at Laguna the other day. Immediately had a go in GT5 in the stock (+ oil change) NSX type R '02. Managed a 1.40.5xx using clutch and manual H shift. That was Sports hards tho. Going to try this now for a laugh.

IIRC there's a thread about Tyres and what mimic reality best. I believe (from memory) that one step down from GT5 default was the most accurate. But according to this it's two steps?

I remeber doing the same thing when I first saw that episode, and got a 39.xxx

And according to the article, CM's are the close to the P Zero rubber that the R8 normally wears, as said by PD.

I remeber doing the same thing when I first saw that episode, and got a 39.xxx

And according to the article, CM's are the close to the P Zero rubber that the R8 normally wears, as said by PD.

did you do the 39 with clutch and h shift? I went to sequential after and got down to a 39.

Well I'm crap compared to the OP, 1.44 in the R8 V10 on CM tyres....fun tho. :)

did you do the 39 with clutch and h shift? I went to sequential after and got down to a 39.

Well I'm crap compared to the OP, 1.44 in the R8 V10 on CM tyres....fun tho. :)

Oh :lol: I ment after the J.Clarkson NSX vid :) Ill give this one a try after work tomorrow. And I did that with a standard DS2 and aids with auto (I wouldve been 15 or so at the time). Ill try it again later without aids, after I try this :)

Oh :lol: I ment after the J.Clarkson NSX vid :) Ill give this one a try after work tomorrow. And I did that with a standard DS2 and aids with auto (I wouldve been 15 or so at the time). Ill try it again later without aids, after I try this :)

Yeah had a d'oh moment it would've been on GT4 wouldn't it, no clutch support in that game anyways!

Hey guys, Wheels has been on sale for a week now, or near enough, so I've posted the full article on my website. It's a slightly longer original version. Wheels had to trim about 200 words to fit. Happy to discuss it further if you've got questions.

And keen to see how my virtual time of 1:40.6 stacks up. I don't consider myself the greatest GT5-er in the world, but surely 13 years of Gran Turismo addiction has to have helped at least a little.

For those who want to replicate my GT5 setup. Buy a standard R8 V10, fit comfort mediums, dial ESC and TCS to zero and go hard. I reckon there's a sub-40 there for sure.

* link removed Oct 24, reinstated November 4

Last edited:
Nice article.

One thing that might make comparing the tires harder is that in real life the grip changes depending on conditions and those tend to change all the time. In the game the conditions stay mostly unchanging.

Hey d1ffuse, what was the wind speed and direction that day (did I miss that some where)? I think that and track temps probably cuts your virtual and reality times ever so much closer.

Hey guys, Wheels has been on sale for a week now, or near enough, so I've posted the full article on my website. It's a slightly longer original version. Wheels had to trim about 200 words to fit. Happy to discuss it further if you've got questions.

And keen to see how my virtual time of 1:40.6 stacks up. I don't consider myself the greatest GT5-er in the world, but surely 13 years of Gran Turismo addiction has to have helped at least a little.

For those who want to replicate my GT5 setup. Buy a standard R8 V10, fit comfort mediums, dial ESC and TCS to zero and go hard. I reckon there's a sub-40 there for sure.

Tried your link, but couldn't find the article. Was it removed? Did I miss it somehow?

That shows really well how people overestimate the grip of real tires when comparing to the ones in the game. Everyone and their mothers would say that a supercar as the Audi R8 would have at least Sport Hard tires, although with tires two grades less, it was yet faster in the game.

I love driving sports cars on CS tires, it feels very realistic. I'll have to start trying some with CM.

Always use Comfort Tyres when driving offline with normal street cars. Sport Tyres simulate semi-slicks and slicks depending on the cars. Racing Hard should be used for LMPs and the F1 cars (if at all). RM and RS are way too grippy.

Nice video, considering that the conditions in the real world aren't as perfect, that there are G-forces working and the overall "fear factor", this is pretty impressive.

Hey d1ffuse, what was the wind speed and direction that day (did I miss that some where)? I think that and track temps probably cuts your virtual and reality times ever so much closer.

We got lucky on the day, very little wind and not hot at all even though it was late-May. It did get warm in the car after 4 or 5 laps because I had the aircon off (not sure how much difference running the compressor would have made, but I figured every extra horsepower would aid my limited driving talent). Ambient was about 22 degrees Celsius.

BWX
I can't find it. I thought he was joking- did he really take it down?

I did. Sorry to muck you around, but I think I was a bit too eager to give away what the magazine invested a fair chunk of money producing. Mr Dinosaw94 taught me that.

I will put it back up in another week.

Serious question: how can I end up in a job like that?

Three options:
1. Go to university, get a degree in communications, then badger an editor with examples of your work until he/she gives you a job.
2. Badger an editor with examples of your work until he or she gives you a job.
3. Come up with some great story concepts, execute them and send the resulting words and pictures to the editor.

Option 2 is the easiest and yet it's the least-used option.

Wheels magazine ran an competition inviting budding motoring writers to send in a car review on any car... Even your own car... I think they wanted 200 words or so. And all they asked was make it interesting. I'm told very few people actually took up the opportunity. Go figure.

I did. Sorry to muck you around, but I think I was a bit too eager to give away what the magazine invested a fair chunk of money producing. Mr Dinosaw94 taught me that.

I will put it back up in another week.

It was a joke :nervous:
I bought the mag this morning, wanting to read the stuff about the new HSV...

I think you should put it back up, just so the overseas guys can see it.

Three options:
1. Go to university, get a degree in communications, then badger an editor with examples of your work until he/she gives you a job.
2. Badger an editor with examples of your work until he or she gives you a job.
3. Come up with some great story concepts, execute them and send the resulting words and pictures to the editor.

Option 2 is the easiest and yet it's the least-used option.

Wheels magazine ran an competition inviting budding motoring writers to send in a car review on any car... Even your own car... I think they wanted 200 words or so. And all they asked was make it interesting. I'm told very few people actually took up the opportunity. Go figure.

Looks like im on the right track (Option 1). I saw that advert, and wouldve taken up on it if I had something more than a learners permit :( Maybe in a few years time do it again 💡

Oh and cheers for the advice.

Last edited:
The story link is live again. Read the full article on my website. When the magazine comes off the shelves I'll post some of Chris Benny's photos from the article.
Hope you like it.

Long time Wheels reader here, I read your article with great interest mate, excellent job, video footage was great, as was Chris's shots for the story in-mag. 👍

Also, I noticed in this edition of the mag, there's another photo shoot for the hatch back comparo story I think - that looks like its been influenced by the ‘miniature’ photo mode option in GT5, just coincidence?

P.S: Any chance of ACP / Wheels sponsoring GT5 Aussie/NZ only comp, given we've missed out on the official events that have occurred in US/Europe? Just a thought… :sly:

Cheers,
Jas

Last edited:
GT5 is very close to real life but the laguna seca track in GT5 is ugly and unreal in my opinion

When i did some tire testing and comparing lap times at different tracks the result on Laguna Seca felt quite consistent with the other tracks. The inner pink kerb stones are quite smooth to drive on though so you can cut deeper in the game than in real life apparently.

Back