Codies Secure F1 rights for "multiple years"F1 2010-2016 

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 100 comments
jcm
Yeah, but they could at least announce that. Makes you worry that they won't improve it :nervous:. Also, I want them to go back to career system from F1 2010. That'd be really cool đź‘Ť

Never played '10, how did it differ from the 2011 career?

TomMcD
Never played '10, how did it differ from the 2011 career?

Everything about it was better. The amount of seasons, the post race press-conference, and the race engineer were great, how you're agent would actually speak to you and they would actually be able to say your name.

The contract system / reputation system actually makes sense! The reputation system worked too, you'd see what level you had to be to get to the next best team. You could chose to be a number 1 driver at a smaller team, or a number 2 driver at a bigger team.

If they combined the 2010 career mode with 2011 handling, and the cars/drivers/tracks were from 2012, with some realistic and amazingly fast AI, it would be the one of the best games ever.

jcm
Everything about it was better. The amount of seasons, the post race press-conference, and the race engineer were great, how you're agent would actually speak to you and they would actually be able to say your name.

The contract system / reputation system actually makes sense! The reputation system worked too, you'd see what level you had to be to get to the next best team. You could chose to be a number 1 driver at a smaller team, or a number 2 driver at a bigger team.

If they combined the 2010 career mode with 2011 handling, and the cars/drivers/tracks were from 2012, with some realistic and amazingly fast AI, it would be the one of the best games ever.

That sounds vastly better to 2011 I have to say.

I've heard the race engineer from 2010 though and I think his voice would annoy me after a while, the only downside :lol:

I think they will make the career longer this year. There was a lot of complaining about the short length last year.

TomMcD

I've heard the race engineer from 2010 though and I think his voice would annoy me after a while, the only downside :lol:

At least he's enthusiastic about his job, unlike that other guy. I remember my first season in the Lotus on easy (now I'm on expert :)), he was so happy when I got my first pole/win.

I actually prefer his voice to the new guys. He was annoying at first, but I grew to like his voice.

I was hoping for more teasers of the 2012 release. Something similar to this old video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN-fA30mto4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

What ever came of this? There's a full thread for wish lists so I won't go into it, but an announcement about an announcement that only tells us they make F1 games officially is a bit... I don't know... pointless. At least tell us that they are working hard to model and code the new cars, or how they are working with the teams for realistic 2012 technical changes. I don't know. They could at least try to get us excited with the NEW SEASON coming on the weekend!
Oh well. Back to racing.

I can't see any info on how long, just beyond 2012.

Not too excited about the news, been such a long time since I played F12011. Started a season but abandoned the game half way through it. Mod support was a fraction of what F12010 had due to lack of interest and less effort in the pc version despite some pitstop fixes in F12011. I liked 2010 better and was easier to mod.

I don't know but the PS3 version took a hit in quality too and was actually pretty poor by all accounts. What can codies do to improve when they have a short time between each game.

For me the foundation of the game is bad and will always remain. The only way is to start with a soild base that works, then tweak, not amount of modifying can turn around the game. I'd suggest they need a 2 year break but license cost means no and you're pretty consigned to getting your first game out fast hence the flaws of 2010 and further meddling of 2011.

Maybe they can fund a rework along side normal development. If they do have many more years ahead, they need to.

I wont' be buying F12012 in a hurry unless I see major improvements but as said, with so many changes in F1 in general, 9 months of dev time isn't much so I'm not expecting anything other than cosmetic changes due to real changes in F1.

Last edited:
I was hoping for more teasers of the 2012 release. Something similar to this old video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN-fA30mto4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

What ever came of this?
I don't think there were ever any plans to include commentary over the replays. Brundle's comments don't match the action on-screen, and they're very tinny until the picture-in-picture shows up in the top-right corner. Someone obviously recorded the race and then dubbed it over the replay.

TomMcD

I liked the 2010 guy's voice. I liked it better actually. In 2011 the new guy says pretty much the same exact lines.

Imagine a changing engineer voice with each team? :D
They should also have customizable helmets.

We remain ambitious with our plans and want to take the series forward. We want to take it to new geographies, make it available on new platforms to new audiences. We are taking Formula One to a new online platform this spring and our portfolio will be extended with a Formula One experience that will address a younger video game audience later in 2012.

:ill::ill::ill::ouch::ouch::ouch:

How mature. The bugs are all minor and none spoil the game.

wasn't the case for f1 2010 and cm barely did anything about it, not to mention the awful mess that was the launch. enough to keep me away for quite awhile (i'm also not too keen on the current f1 rules) which is really hard considering how much of an f1 whore i am.

What that suggests to me is that there will be an additional F1 game for kids. Is that really such a bad thing? It will be made by a different team, so it won't take anything away from the main game.

wasn't the case for f1 2010 and cm barely did anything about it, not to mention the awful mess that was the launch. enough to keep me away for quite awhile (i'm also not too keen on the current f1 rules) which is really hard considering how much of an f1 whore i am.

The puncture bug was irritating. That's what I used the flashbacks for. Everything else was minor and didn't stop me enjoying a good game. As for the F1 rules, there really isn't much they can do about that is there?

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/3/13095.html

Unfortunately Codemasters have been handed the rights to continue producing their sub-standard Formula 1 games for years to come.
I was really hoping common sense would prevail but in this instance, money plays. It's clearly too much work to sign it over to a competent developer even when gray money is coming in.

I could say I miss Psygnosis, but really, most developers in the past have made fantastic open-wheel racing games.

Already covered here in the Codemasters F1 sub-forum. And I, like a lot of others, happen to like Codemasters' F1 games.

Well the OP in that thread throws a link and says nothing much else, and the other thread that is linked in that thread has it mentioned where no one would find it. I know this isn't a contest but seeing as mine is in the most appropriate place I guess I won't be surprised if this is locked.

know this isn't a contest but seeing as mine is in the most appropriate place I guess I won't be surprised if this is locked.

Most appropriate place? Your thread isn't in the sub-forum dedicated to the game series. Why couldn't you just have posted your link in the other thread?

I liked the career mode that they used (be the driver) was a cool feature, i also liked the graphics of the cars and tracks. i like everything about Codemasters F1 except the physics. if they find a way to make it more realistic sim in that one dept, i will be okay with Codemasters keeping the liscence for years. They didnt do a bad job at all, just need better physics. maybe they could do what Forza does and let people control how simulation the steering should be. then they have everyone covered from the casual gamer to hardcore sim racers.

Problem is, they only have one year to develop everything. That's quite nasty, seeing how much would need to be changed and so on - so they'll hardly try to implement that, sadly.

I also think Codemasters work with the licence is sub par, copy and paste every year quite similar to what EA did with F1 before. F1 gaming died with Liverpool Studios CE for me.

Problem is, they only have one year to develop everything. That's quite nasty, seeing how much would need to be changed and so on - so they'll hardly try to implement that, sadly.

Not really a year, when you take in to account support of the previous game and the submission/distribution process at the end.

I enjoyed 2010, didn't bother with 2011, as I'm not that in to the games to get them every year, but they're good and the AI is a fine effort.

I find the physics to be much improved from 2010 to 2011. I encourage everyone to go back and play 2010, and see how many times you spin out :lol:

And for those of you saying EA is bad, just remember: You are correct!

Still could be worse then that. If PD got it, they'd finish the game after the liscense expired, and most of the cars would be standerd :lol:

PD would, like with the other licences, just waste all their opportunities. They'd just include the cars and then go home afterwards.

I haven't tried F1 2011, but I do have F1 2010 and it was a bit boring if I'm honest. Should I wait for F1 2012?

1241Penguin
PD would, like with the other licences, just waste all their opportunities. They'd just include the cars and then go home afterwards.

I haven't tried F1 2011, but I do have F1 2010 and it was a bit boring if I'm honest. Should I wait for F1 2012?

I'd get F1 2011 now, because it's still half a year until F1 2012 comes out. The handling, KERS, DRS, and Pirelli tires make the driving and racing way more exciting.

Back