COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,264 comments
It's kicking of in Europe it seems;

• First case in The Netherlands
  • 6 new cases in Spain, total 23
  • 1 new case in Northern Ireland, UK. National total for the UK is 16
  • Three new cases in Norway, total 4
  • 20 new cases in France, total 38
  • 5 new cases in Sweden, total 7
  • 14 new cases in Germany, total 41
  • 6 new cases in UAE, total 21
  • 1 new case in Oman, total 5
  • 1 new case in Switzerland, total 5

Also why on Earth would you put a dude that's open about his science denial in charge of something that requires a great deal of science to combat?
I'm pretty sure to be dumped on by trying to explain this question, but since I'm related to a line of masochists I'll give it my usual vapid try. I respectfully implore simple :tdown:s in lieu of elaborate explanations why I'm so wrong.

Putting Pence in charge of overseeing the plan for fighting the epidemic has nothing to do with science. It has to do with accountability, specifically political accountability. With this appointment, the Trump administration has symbolically taken ownership of the problem, win lose or draw. They openly acknowledge Congress is going to give them 4x the amount of money requested, eliminating Congress or shortage of money as any excuse for failure. Taking on accountability is a politically and morally essential principle of good government. It had to be done.

I'm pretty sure to be dumped on by trying to explain this question, but since I'm related to a line of masochists I'll give it my usual vapid try. I respectfully implore simple :tdown:s in lieu of elaborate explanations why I'm so wrong.

Putting Pence in charge of overseeing the plan for fighting the epidemic has nothing to do with science. It has to do with accountability, specifically political accountability. With this appointment, the Trump administration has symbolically taken ownership of the problem, win lose or draw. They openly acknowledge Congress is going to give them 4x the amount of money requested, eliminating Congress or shortage of money as any excuse for failure. Taking on accountability is a politically and morally essential principle of good government. It had to be done.

Or ... Trump's shifting the responsibility onto Pence so that if things don't work well out he can blame the VP. Brilliant!

It's kicking of in Europe it seems;

• First case in The Netherlands
  • 6 new cases in Spain, total 23
  • 1 new case in Northern Ireland, UK. National total for the UK is 16
  • Three new cases in Norway, total 4
  • 20 new cases in France, total 38
  • 5 new cases in Sweden, total 7
  • 14 new cases in Germany, total 41
  • 6 new cases in UAE, total 21
  • 1 new case in Oman, total 5
  • 1 new case in Switzerland, total 5
+1 confirmed case here in Austria

Or ... Trump's shifting the responsibility onto Pence so that if things don't work well out he can blame the VP. Brilliant!

Pretty sure it's this.

Trump has a preternatural sense of self-preservation. The response to Covid has basically no good options and any of them can tank the economy. Trump doesn't really care about America...but he wants the stock market to do well as a barometer of his aptitude as president - I think he understands there aren't any good options here. As part of his relentless "the buck stops...somewhere else" campaign, setting Pence up to manage the unmanageable seems to be the option with the most utility.

I didn't order massive quarantines, travel bans and containment that stopped production and tanked the economy. Pence did! It's his fault!

or...

I didn't allow the virus to spread rapidly across the US, sickening millions which stopped production and tanked the economy. Pence did! It's his fault!

I think this situation has the chance to expose Trump's true character. Facing a problem he cannot solve with guns or money and with limited "good" outcomes. A less self-absorbed President would accept those cards and navigate the country as well as possible...but with Trump, keeping his self-image intact is directly at odds with the good of the nation....

We finally joined the party! First case in Tilburg, someone who went to Lombardy.
In my hometown....Last weekend with Carnaval he also went to city centre (Heuvel) so very curious what the local authotities will do now.
How do they know with whom he had contact in the very busy overcrowded marketsquares? Absolutely no panic mode but realistic in the phase of 'who did he had contact with'

Perhaps it would be wise to start a bit of stockpiling now, just in case it goes all China in Europe.

Perhaps it would be wise to start a bit of stockpiling now, just in case it goes all China in Europe.
I said this morning to my wife to buy some extra 'knakworstjes' sausages. That's what she did. I ate them this evening during the soccer matches....
And now in all seriousness if there is too much uncertainty with who patient zero has had contact I think our mare will not take any risk and 'lock down' parts of the city? Thousands of unknown people were on the same spots where he enjoyed Carnaval. We were already advized to follow the local live news.

I think this situation has the chance to expose Trump's true character.

What? You're sooo naive! Half the country believes Trump was sent by Jesus &/or is a business genius who has single-handedly created the best economy in US history. The other half ... doesn't. Those positions are so entrenched, so fundamental to people's own sense of identity, I can't see anything happening that would change that.

And then there's Dotini. Nobody really knows what he believes, but I suspect if his portfolio continues to tank he may reconsider his enthusiasm for the "peace & prosperity" President.

I don't really see how that is going to help matters. If there is a full pandemic and the whole of Europe turns into a similar situation as China then the food will still flow, travel will be restricted granted, but I can't see starvation on the horizon.

What? You're sooo naive! Half the country believes Trump was sent by Jesus &/or is a business genius who has single-handedly created the best economy in US history. The other half ... doesn't. Those positions are so entrenched, so fundamental to people's own sense of identity, I can't see anything happening that would change that.

And then there's Dotini. Nobody really knows what he believes, but I suspect if his portfolio continues to tank he may reconsider his enthusiasm for the "peace & prosperity" President.

@Dotini is clearly heavily invested in doomsday bunker manufacturers. His portfolio hasn't even taken off yet!

Rumblings are that next week's Geneva International Motor Show is about to be axed, due to COVID-19. Word is that there are plenty of manufacturers waiting for someone else to blink first and cancel, but the Swiss government (or the venue itself) may pre-empt it all.

The thing to fear is fear itself. I can easily see these precautionary measures killing more people than Covid ever could.

I don't really see how that is going to help matters. If there is a full pandemic and the whole of Europe turns into a similar situation as China then the food will still flow, travel will be restricted granted, but I can't see starvation on the horizon.

Just in case quarantines are set, it makes life a bit easier if you don't have to go out, or rely on someone from the outside to provide food. It's all just in case. Nothing wrong with being a little bit prepared.

Common stock shares are but a small portion of my portfolio, but it is balanced by gold (going up) and oil (going down). I have physical gold and silver enough to finance decades of living expenses.. My real estate holding total near $2 million, all paid off and earning income. I have CDs and "cash" enough to finance several decades of living expenses. I sleep like a baby. That is what I really believe in - sleep like a baby with no worries. I am conservative enough to wear both belt and suspenders, and I do. :lol:

Trump has an ace up his sleeve to maintain domestic tranquility and prosperity. It is called the Defense Production Act. Under circumstances of national security emergency, it enables our Mango Mussolini to assume near-plenary powers.

from the wiki:
The Defense Production Act (Pub.L. 81–774) is a United States federal law enacted on September 8, 1950, in response to the start of the Korean War.[1] It was part of a broad civil defense and war mobilization effort in the context of the Cold War. Its implementing regulations, the Defense Priorities and Allocation System (DPAS), are located at 15 CFR §§700 to 700.93. Since 1950, the Act has been reauthorized over 50 times.[1] It has been periodically amended, and remains in force as of 2019.[2]

The Act contains three major sections. The first authorizes the President to require businesses to sign contracts or fulfill orders deemed necessary for national defense. The second authorizes the President to establish mechanisms (such as regulations, orders or agencies) to allocate materials, services and facilities to promote national defense. The third section authorizes the President to control the civilian economy so that scarce and/or critical materials necessary to the national defense effort are available for defense needs.[3]

The Act also authorizes the President to requisition property, force industry to expand production and the supply of basic resources, impose wage and price controls, settle labor disputes, control consumer and real estate credit, establish contractual priorities, and allocate raw materials towards national defense.[3]

The President's authority to place contracts under the DPA is the part of the Act most often used by the Department of Defense (DOD) since the 1970s. Most of the other functions of the Act are administered by the Office of Strategic Industries and Economic Security (SIES) in the Bureau of Industry and Security in the Department of Commerce.[4]

The Defense Priorities and Allocations System institutes a rating system for contracts and purchase orders.[5] The highest priority is DX, which must be approved by the Secretary of Defense. The next level down is DO, and below that are unrated contracts.

--

In 2011, it was reported that the law was invoked to force telecommunications companies, under criminal penalties, to provide detailed equipment outlines to the Commerce Department's Bureau of Industry and Security.[8] In June 2017, President Donald Trump asked to adequately provide critical technology in the space industrial base in a timely manner Pursuant to Section 4533(a)(5) of the act[10][11] and to adequately provide critical technology in a timely manner Pursuant to Section 4533(a)(5)) of the act.[12][13]

Done. Just bought a crapload of rice, canned tuna in olive oil (I actually LOVE canned tuna), tons of noodles and water. I also got some medications that help with fever should it rise dangerously high - if I get infected. Should it all go pretty bad it would be a silly idea to trust and rely on the government to help with food shortages and supplies.-

Oh, and I think this is the right moment to mention that I trade some of my excess stock for sex. :D

Fighting an epidemic starts with science and figuring the virus out. If you can't figure out the virus, you can't fight it, it's that simple. While we certainly know a bit about CoV-19, there hasn't been enough time to sufficiently study it and understand it. We're not sure if it's mutating, what sort of conditions it can live in, etc. If it's a genetically engineered virus from a Chinese lab, it could really be anything.

As far as managing the epidemic? I don't trust Pence there either, his misguided attempts in Indiana caused HIV to grow rampant. So he doesn't believe in science and doesn't know how to manage a health crisis, he seems like a fantastic person to put in charge. Although, I agree with others who've said it's about Trump shifting the blame. That is right up Trump's alley.

Anyway, we put Vice President Pence on it, so you've got nothing to worry about.

It's a sign.

DB5434C2-BB18-4D53-89FE-8A7E6515495B.jpeg

Common stock shares are but a small portion of my portfolio, but it is balanced by gold (going up) and oil (going down). I have physical gold and silver enough to finance decades of living expenses.. My real estate holding total near $2 million, all paid off and earning income. I have CDs and "cash" enough to finance several decades of living expenses. I sleep like a baby. That is what I really believe in - sleep like a baby with no worries. I am conservative enough to wear both belt and suspenders, and I do. :lol:

Trump has an ace up his sleeve to maintain domestic tranquility and prosperity. It is called the Defense Production Act. Under circumstances of national security emergency, it enables our Mango Mussolini to assume near-plenary powers.

from the wiki:

Plenary powers won't stop the economy from crashing.

Currently the stock market is in corrections on still the fear of virus.
700 people in NY state are being monitored and 8400 in California.
One high school in Washington State has closed as a staff member relative has tested positive.

Trump says "the spread remains very low"
CDC says "the spread will happen, to start preparing now"

So far nothing in my state but are waiting results from one, as 3 others tested negative.
Also Delta has suspended direct flights to Seoul until April 30th* out of MSP
*Pending the containment of the virus

"You can't have more confirmed cases if you don't test and report them."

The US has tested fewer than 500 people for coronavirus. This is because, firstly, the CDC test is unreliable and an improved test won't be available for some time. Another "benefit" of limiting testing is that it limits the apparent spread of the epidemic, limiting concern - panic - on the part of the population. This practice fits well with hiding the problem in the cold, flu and pneumonia statistics.

Rumblings are that next week's Geneva International Motor Show is about to be axed, due to COVID-19. Word is that there are plenty of manufacturers waiting for someone else to blink first and cancel, but the Swiss government (or the venue itself) may pre-empt it all.

On the back of this IEM (gaming tournament happening in Poland) has been closed to the public and the annual Games Developer Conference looks like it’ll be cancelled as all the major developers/studios have announced they are not attending. The Rugby 6 Nations matches are also in some limbo.

Would not be surprised, the IWA, the international firearms & gear fair that is held in Nuremberg was cancelled today. And that's a GIGANTIC fair.

Also, I just read there are three more confirmed cases here in Vienna, Austria.

I said this morning to my wife to buy some extra 'knakworstjes' sausages. That's what she did.
That was basically our intent this week-end, but instead we end up in a "gourmet" grocery store half-full of Chinese tourists - if you ever wanted to play Pac-Man for real, try this - to eventually come back home with just a giant jar of baba au rhum. Imported from Italy, of course.
upload_2020-2-28_1-54-12.png

On the Survivalist scale, we're rated "will be gone first".

First day back at work, just about everyone had a comment to make; most were pretty joking. I'm not going to think this isn't a serious situation, but damn, did a few talk as if this is the next black plague, however. A couple people made comments that were really on the line of racism, asking me, "Why would you even go over there? Didn't you see how bad it is? Have you seen what they eat"? First off, b/c it's Japan, not China (& my airline wasn't even considering refunds for a flight I booked last July for dirt cheap). Secondly, when we were there, the number of cases didn't really go up beyond the cruise ship & every one was pretty aware of protecting themselves. It wasn't mass hysteria & fear mongering. Thirdly, what they eat is delicious & fresh, even from a McDonald's compared to America's. It was Tokyo, not a questionable meat market.

One of the women even asked if my co-workers were concerned about me coming back & if they may want to consult a manager. The attitude was as if going overseas automatically meant I was bringing it back. I told a couple people if they really wanted to be concerned, it was how one could have easily lied to Customs & gotten in. They had no idea that the survival rate for them would be high if they did get it, it's not a death sentence.

My buddy's girlfriend went through a similar deal, unfortunately for her. She was called in to her boss & told her managers had held a meeting regarding her return, whether or not to send her home for 2 weeks as a precaution. When they said it would not be paid, she protested that she was fine & showing no symptoms, but she would let them know if she started to feel ill. She contacted our travel group wondering if her work could send her home for 2 weeks without pay legally. Wouldn't think so, but wouldn't be surprised if they held the power to do so, either. I only replied to see it as them taking everyone's health into account, it was nothing personal against her.

First day back at work, just about everyone had a comment to make; most were pretty joking. I'm not going to think this isn't a serious situation, but damn, did a few talk as if this is the next black plague, however. A couple people made comments that were really on the line of racism, asking me, "Why would you even go over there? Didn't you see how bad it is? Have you seen what they eat"?

:confused: I take it they're not aware that Tokyo has the most Michelin starred restaurants of any city in the world?

"You can't have more confirmed cases if you don't test and report them."

The US has tested fewer than 500 people for coronavirus. This is because, firstly, the CDC test is unreliable and an improved test won't be available for some time. Another "benefit" of limiting testing is that it limits the apparent spread of the epidemic, limiting concern - panic - on the part of the population. This practice fits well with hiding the problem in the cold, flu and pneumonia statistics.

Do you have any sources on this? Because as @DDastardly00 pointed out, the company Co-Diagnostics has a test and it's in production.

Also, having listened to the rollout plan at our health system today, I can't see them wanting to limit testing at all. If anything, they want to make it as common as testing for Influenza A and B.

That was basically our intent this week-end, but instead we end up in a "gourmet" grocery store half-full of Chinese tourists - if you ever wanted to play Pac-Man for real, try this - to eventually come back home with just a giant jar of baba au rhum. Imported from Italy, of course.
View attachment 895145
On the Survivalist scale, we're rated "will be gone first".
Ok we're in the epic centre of "patient zero" in the Netherlands. Our 19 yr son already asked me: "Isn't it better that I stay at home as a pre-caution for the next couple of weeks as I celebrated Carnaval and have had a lot of new contacts in the city center of Tilburg". Kids ;)

Now I'm also curious about the queueing at the local grocery stores this morning. Each Friday my wife goes for the weekly shopping so I expect her to be out for at least a couple of hours. Good moment to start binchwatching Drive to Survive II

Back