• Thread starter Pako
  • 65 comments

Pako

Staff Emeritus
United States
NW Montana
GTP-Pako
GTP Pako
Alright gents. I recently bought a brand new 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 5.7L Hemi 4x4. I thought the white with black accents looked pretty good until it seams that every new truck out there is a white 4 door crew cab.

I need to set my truck apart from the rest and thought of doing a partial body wrap. What I'm looking for is nothing too crazy that screams mid life crisis, but it's gotta be cool. I am hoping to tap into the most creative minds that GTPlanet has to offer.

The winning design can take home the prize of honor knowing that their design is riding around on Pako's truck. So you in? Let the designs begin!

See attached:
IMG_2010.JPG IMG_2011.JPG IMG_2012.JPG IMG_2013.JPG

I'm not a good designer or anything, but if I was doing this I'd need a bit more info on what you want.

What colours do you want on it?
You say partial wrap, what part were you thinking of wrapping?
Any examples of the kind of thing you want?

Saw this thread and it seemed very interesting! Like Bopop, that information would definitely help I think, but also maybe:

1. What finish do you want: Matte, Glossy, Carbon, etc?
2. Would you be wrapping the wheels?

And also, congratulations on the new truck! Definitely one of my favorite pickups.

Here are some ideas that caught my eye:

Too much?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ol3PgqIim...d_mustang_with_pink_true_fire_flame_theme.jpg

Or something like this, but with more style:
http://www.socaltrucks.com/wp-content/uploads/awpcp/dodge1-large.jpg
cleardot.gif

This is pretty sick:
http://wrapsone.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/monster-truck-custom-wrap.jpg
A little much for me, but still sick!

Maybe just some good ole racing strips to get the job done.

I am really open to just about anything. It will look good if it looks good.

Finish could vary depending on the design of the wrap. It would just be the body and not the wheels.

Colors could also vary, although some red accents would look good when pulling the boat.

I think the Mustang is a bit too much, the Dakota with the flames would look great on the Ram I think, and the last is something I have definitely not seen before, and will no doubt be eye catching. Racing stripes are always a choice, maybe add some flames in with racing stripes? Just an idea.

I noticed that you liked the idea of red accents potentially @Pako and both of the truck that @Bopop4 recommend did have them, and I do think that they look good against the white paint.

You could put a bunch of GTPlanet logos all over the truck. That way, you could both make your truck stand out and also promote the site with one wrap! :lol:
If I had an ounce of talent, I'd make a wrap with tire rubber on the rear fenders to make it appear like you did a burnout with the truck.
How about something like this? You could obviously change the magazine logo to something else, plus whether you use it or not, you have half an idea of what it looks like on a Ram.
131-0905-01-z%2B2009-dodge-ram-1500%2Bsema-2008.jpg

Here's what it would look like in the sunlight.
131_0905_15_z%2b2009_dodge_ram_1500%2bfinished_truck.jpg

Yes, the red would look good against the white. I have combed the internet and have scoured over 10's of thousands of images on the net looking for something to catch my eye and am at a point now where I'm really not sure what I would look.

I am hoping for some solid input on "What would you do" kind of thing.

Not that it has to match the boat, but attached is a picture of it:
theboat.jpg

Yes, the red would look good against the white. I have combed the internet and have scoured over 10's of thousands of images on the net looking for something to catch my eye and am at a point now where I'm really not sure what I would look.

I am hoping for some solid input on "What would you do" kind of thing.

Not that it has to match the boat, but attached is a picture of it:
View attachment 258338
I know that a lot of people who own white trucks and also own camping trailers paint or wrap the truck to match the trailer logos. I just don't know how well that whole graphic would turn out on the truck. I'm ignoring the fact that the boat is red since you said that a full wrap is a possibility at the time of my posting.

I know that a lot of people who own white trucks and also own camping trailers paint or wrap the truck to match the trailer logos. I just don't know how well that whole graphic would turn out on the truck.

Yeah, I don't think the grafx would look that great on the truck either, but red and black accents would be an idea that would look pretty good I think. I feel the it should stand on it's own without needing to have the boat attached for it to make sense. :)

Maybe have a 4 to 6 inch "pinstripe" that covers the portion where the hood is adjacent to the hood and then have it continue on the cab, dropping about 2 in then come back up at the rear fender so it just touches the crease and have it wrap around the tailgate and continue on the other side?

Reading over what I said, I don't know actually if I like the idea when I visualize it. You could potentially have it thin out and drop at the end of the rear fenders and not do the tailgate.

I don't know how this would turn out on your truck, but I'll nominate the Viper ACR livery anyway. But yeah. Look around at shops and have them show you some of their work. I'd also ask about warranty information as well. The only company I know of for sure that makes a wrap material is 3M (but there are probably others), so I'd ask about which product they use as well.
Dodge-Ram.jpg

I don't know how this would turn out on your truck, but I'll nominate the Viper ACR livery anyway. But yeah. Look around at shops and have them show you some of their work. I'd also ask about warranty information as well. The only company I know of for sure that makes a wrap material is 3M (but there are probably others), so I'd ask about which product they use as well.
Dodge-Ram.jpg

Hummm.... That could grow on me. 7-10yr warranty depending on material used.

Here's something I whipped up, just had to see it on my rig.Thoughts?
back to black.jpg

Maybe inverted to, black flame on white. Not sure if they would have to do a full body wrap for this style of design or what.

Maybe inverted to, black flame on white. Not sure if they would have to do a full body wrap for this style of design or what.

I almost posted a BMW M3 race car with a crazy wrap because I just about misread your post! :lol: I don't know if this will help you, but I found this article circa 2009 from Hot Rod Magazine. From how I'm interpreting it, I don't think that you would have to do a full body wrap for the flame job to work. A lot can change in five years, but it might at least help a little bit.

If you have to do anything, I might look at some neat red pinstriping to match your boat and trailer.

I really feel that less is more here.
As someone who worked on lettering vehicles and seeing what our stripes came up with, a million times this. Covering the entire vehicle really only works for radio stations and comply vehicles.

I'm 21 but still feel like I'm too young to remember flames ever being cool. :D

I like the ACR idea

Flame jobs are great for irony's sake when a vehicle with a flame job catches fire. When that happens, the painter (or wrapper) literally did a flaming good job. Then again, I'm a little burnt out (no pun intended) of flame job cars. There are too many of them out around here.

Flame jobs are great for irony's sake when a vehicle with a flame job catches fire. When that happens, the painter (or wrapper) literally did a flaming good job. Then again, I'm a little burnt out (no pun intended) of flame job cars. There are too many of them out around here.

I saw a lot of flaming vehicles with flame jobs while I'm searching for ideas. :D

I saw a lot of flaming vehicles with flame jobs while I'm searching for ideas. :D
Those designs were so good that they were on fire, am I right? :sly: I'm not sure what I did this time, but most of my search results currently are either patina wraps, 70s vans, or really outlandish paint jobs. I have a gut feeling that none of those will work in your quest for a wrap.

So thinking some black rally stripes would be good. Some mockups of different stripe options would cool. Thoughts? Anyone want to give a try?

Back