Creation vs. Evolution

• Thread starter ledhed
  • 9,687 comments
SCJ, your misuse of terms makes it impossible to rationally discuss these things with you.

A theory is not an idea somebody had, like in a detective saying "I have a theory how they did it." Even a hypothesis is more than that.

Science is not a belief system. We don't believe gravity to be effective. We don't believe the water cycle exists. We don't believe 3 time 5 equals 15. All of these are facts verifiable by observation and experimentation by anyone anywhere.

When enough of those repeatable observations have been collected by enough people over enough time, it goes way beyond belief. Remember, you defined belief as not requiring proof (loosely quoting) but everything I listed in my examples is taken as proven, because of the repeatability and portability of observation. (By that I mean that anybody anywhere can look at it and get the same result.) Absolute proof will never exist, which you take to be a fallacy. Absolute proof is accepted as impossible, because not all conditions can be known. We know how gravity works here, but how does it work in the center of a black hole? How about the event horizon of a black hole? A little more difficult to observe.

Your other misuse of terms is your "understanding" of change in a species. No bird is going to suddenly have monkey children. No monkey is going to have human children. But change within a species does occur, and can occur in an observable span of time. We also see evidence of it in many species outside of a human lifetime. I saw somewhere this week about a tiny mouse that lives in a desert, the mouse is of course sand-colored for camouflage. If a mouse grew up with say, black fur, it would stand out and be easy prey for owls and hawks. Thus a preponderance, well, actually a unanimity of sand-colored mice. Then part of the habitat was been covered with lava, forming a black surface. Sand-colored mice became easy prey, but the occasional black-furred toddler was able to hide and survive. On the present day the lava area has black mice living in it, while the sandy area still has sand-colored mice. So a black mouse developed from a sand-colored mouse. Still "after its own kind," still a desert mouse, but a changed version more fit to its new environment. An occasional random mutation became a fitter specimen for the environment, and became predominant in that environment. It's not what we "believe." Before the lava flow occured there were no black mice, there was no place for them to be. If the environment didn't shape the species there would still be just as many black mice in the sand areas, because there always would have been. There are no black mice in the sandy area, only in the lava areas. Therefore an observable fact the an environmental change effected a change in the animal there.

Similarly, one of Darwin's earliest observations was the difference in finches he found. Finches widely known at the time have a short, strong beak for breaking seeds and nuts. Yet he observed finches with long, thinner beaks, useless for seeds, but great for pollinating flowers, or fleshy plants like cactus. Still a finch, otherwise no dfferent from any other, but a different beak entirely. Trapped on an island with a different food source, the species adapted by mutations in offspring being more successful than the "traditional" short-beaked birds.

You asked for a "transitional" species, but you don't accept the idea that every species is transitional by the very process of natural selction. You want a "missing link," something that isn't this, isn't that, but something in between. In post 4225 of this thread I presented the lungfish, which was promptly ignored by the creationists in the thread. The fossil record also presents the Tiktaalik roseae whose fins were actually limbs, thanks to a new bone structure, more like land-dwelling limbs than swimming fins, a single upper bone, two bones after a joint, then a group of bones at the end, what we now think of as a wrist. Fish fins are not made like that. A transitional species in your sense of the term. Something else for you to ignore or misinterpret.

Until you speak the same language we speak, you're never going to understand what we're saying.

And I put my earlier question for Nicksfix to you: Do you know that the earth revolves around the sun? Do you accept that Jupiter has moons that are easily observable with even a discount-store telescope or cheap binoculars? Do you accept that without air resistance being a factor that a hammer and a feather will fall at the same speed? All of these taken-for-granted easily observable facts were once violently opposed by religious leadership. Persons who professed such things were imprisoned, or worse. Yet you know them to be true facts. So tell us why the church is right "this time" about evolution? All the evidence is out there, all of it reviewable by anyone who cares to make the effort, yet religious leaders oppose it violently. Why are they right this time? They're 0-in-forever!!!

400 years from now, creationists (meaning those who argue that evolution does not occur) will be looked on with the same amazement we use today for those who thought the earth was flat. How could people really think such a thing? How could they have this information at hand and still insist evolution didn't exist?

And a really more basic question: if the environment does not shape the species, then why don't all creatures exist everywhere? Why do we not have macaws in Florida, or alligators in New Brunswick? How's the grouper fishing in Kansas, or tiger-hunting in Argentina?

Last edited:
There is no need to prove it since as already stated, it proves itself by virtue of being exsisting, demonstrable, and observable. Everything reproduces after its own kind and has repeatedly done so from the present to as far back in time as reasonably determinable. This indicates it will continue the same in the future.
That part could be considered a hypothesis and with substantial basis.
Since evolutional theory claims this is not the case, in spite of clear exsisting, demonstrable, and observable proof to the contrary, the burden of proof is on evolution, of which it cannot conclusively bare. Hence it remains a "theory" based solely in "interpretive speculation", scientific as it may claim to be.
Given that you believe in creationism as that is what the bible states, I assume you also believe that all humans descended from Adam and Eve. This being so, how is it that we have human beings with different colour skin colours. Clearly here we have our own evolutionary process that must have happened after the first humans (Adam and Eve in your belief system) came into being. Of course it has taken considerably more time than the bibles 6000 odd years. Darker colour skin or maybe lighter depending on the colour of skin of the first humans evolved to adapt the climate people lived in.

Since the creation the universe cannot be duplicated in the lab, actual proof will always be lacking. So this argument can never be resolved entirely in the favor of evolution. On the other hand, science has been able to create artificial life in the lab, and possibly create new dimensions, or micro-universes, however briefly, as in the CERN experiments, etc. So if is possible for us rock apes to artificially create new life forms and open new dimensions, it may be possible that the story behind us is one of evolution plus a little something extra along the way. But in neither case do I think it is entirely benevolent.

The principle of biological evolution has absolutely nothing to do with the beginning of the universe. That is something for cosmologists to debate on.

Just because we can manipulate matter to create conditions similar to the moments right after the Big Bang, doesn't mean we can "create" matter, manipulate the laws of physics and quantum mechanics or directly visualize the metadimensional medium in which the Universe came into existence.

Just because we can manipulate genes... genes that are already present... within organisms to produce changes, doesn't mean we have the ability to create an organism whole from the base chemicals and elements that make up life... or create a working organic system without a template to follow.

Again it most assuredly is by those who believe it to be true. It was just explained, "why" it is.

You didn't. You cited a reference that says a belief system requires faith.

Faith, by definition, requires an unquestioning belief in something that cannot be proven true or untrue.

You are confusing a "theory" about an exsisting, observable and readily demonstrative force or phenomenon with another(evolution) that is anything but.

Microevolution is observable and readily demonstrable in the laboratory. As stated. You can demonstrate a change in the genetic make-up of a population of short-lived organisms within a few weeks.

You can also trace a change in the genetic make-up of a population of longer lived organisms given data going back a few years, decades or centuries.

Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there to see. Anyone seeking proof is free to take a dozen petri-dishes, a microscope, and a course in microbiology to see for themselves.

Demonstratively, even with intervention much less without, every species reproduces after its own kind. Always has, and "odds on" always will.

Do you know how long it takes for a species to speciate? Humans were not rat-tailed primates one year and then suddenly human the other.

The term "missing link" is an awful one. It suggests that you have "steps" where one is species A, then B, then C, then D, then Human. That's an oversimplification. As Famine states, we're all transitory[b/] species. There's no "final step" to evolution.

Evolutionary changes take place over awfully long periods of time. There is no one point in time where we are one species one moment and suddenly another species the next.

In reality, "evolution" is actually a "theory" to attempt to explain another "theory". Niether of which exsist or are demonstrable.

Evolution is a theory that explains the presence of evidence given. Are you calling evidence "theory"? If so, that's quite laughable. It's not a theory that we have hundreds of millions of fossils on record. It's not a theory that animals that seem to have risen from a common ancestor share a very common genetic make-up. It's not a theory that animals that are more suited to their environment outcompete and often wipe out other animals that are not.

Changes might occur, with or without intervention, however evolution claims it occurred naturally without intervention so you have already left proof of the concept with any intervention.

Evolution does not claim that there is no God nor require the non-existence of God to work. It only states that organisms that are more "fit" (fit not being limited to physical fitness, but resistance to disease, efficient use of resources and energy, etcetera) are more likely to survive and have offspring.

Part of that fitness can be aesthetic. Survival of the sexiest (as demonstrated by various tropical birds). The fact that breeders can change a population of fish, dogs or horses over the years doesn't counter Evolution. It proves it. It proves that fitness is all that matters. Whether it's fitness to survive in the wild, or some arbitrary definition of fitness based on the whims of breeders.

The Story of Noah and the flood is a good demonstration of Evolution in action. God favors Noah and allows him to survive a flood that wipes out his competitors. Noah's offspring repopulate the Earth. That's because he was "fitter" than his peers,

Furthermore changes within a species do not remotely indicate, much less prove evolutional transition from one species to another. One must employ a Chasmic leap in interpretative judgement to declare such as exsisting, demonstrable, or observable.

Give me a call when you can do that.

+

EDIT: I'm not talking about fossils from however long ago. I mean in the here and now. Live living and breathing.

Horse + Donkey = Mule. Incomplete genetic match-up due to ongoing speciation. I guess mules have chasmic powers. Even better: Zebra + Ass = Zebramule. Possibly a more mystical non-existent animal there has never been. Oh... and they're sterile, simply because the genetic code is an incomplete match.

So... they're different species and yet... gasp... heresy... they can interbreed.... but not perfectly. Wow. Awesome. I'm going to go sing the "Boom-de-ya-dah" song now in celebration of the gross affront to divine law these heathen animals represent.

It appears you have oxymoroned here.
Since as demonstrated, a theory about a theory or even hypothesis are not proof, unless again individually believed to be, my question is on what do you base your belief in such as "matter of fact".

I'd quote newer posts of yours, but since you're so repetitive, I can just take something from three pages ago...

I don't base my belief in what is "matter of fact". I don't believe anything to be self-evident unless proven. And I don't disbelieve in anything unless it is disproven.

Point in fact: Do I disbelieve in God?

No. For the existence of a divine being completely separate from the material realm can neither be proven nor disproven.

Do I believe in the story of Creation?

Nope. It purports that all man originated from a breeding pair just 6000 years ago... and yet offers no reason as to how and why Cain found a wife... and... gee... considering we supposedly had a worldwide flood around 4000 years ago... we really didn't have much time to deviate from the base stock.

And I don't even look or remotely feel Jewish? Do you? If we all breed true, and there's no change in genetic makeup over time... shouldn't we all be Jewisn? :lol:

You might. I don't. Of course, according to our oral traditions, we sprang whole from a bamboo plant split down the middle by a bird pecking for food. :lol:

This is not to say I put much faith in Malay/Filipino oral traditions, since I was raised a Roman Catholic. But being raised Roman Catholic was a good way to become intimately familiar with the contradictions and wildly differing viewpoints and ideas behind different parts of the Bible.

In conclusion I can only assume you haven't read much of it since these facts have been pointed out several times.

Neither have you. I have answered these questions several times in the past 6000 posts. I suggest you look them up.

I guess I have to ask you the same question.

And my answer is a hundred pages back. My best answers are back there, too. I ask because, if you're going to tread exactly the same ground, without much more to your argument than fallacious misinterpretations of scientific terms and lexicon and the tired old "we don't have enough evidence" argument, you're just wasting time.

BTW I never said "science is a religion". I said evolution is a "belief system".
Athough, now that you mention it, I think in some respects it is.
Additionally, your comments help reinforce that.

Religion demands unwavering belief. Science demands proof. It doesn't get any simpler than that. The only "religion" in Science is Scientology... and that's about as related to science as the band "Bad Religion" is related to the Pope. They're not.

Last edited:
There is no need to prove it since as already stated, it proves itself by virtue of being exsisting, demonstrable, and observable. Everything reproduces after its own kind and has repeatedly done so from the present to as far back in time as reasonably determinable. This indicates it will continue the same in the future.
Actually,
1- if you had read that list of Logical Fallacies (which I provided for your own good), you would realize that what you've just claimed here is one of them.
2- That doesn't make evolution wrong. (Also a fallacy.)

of which it cannot conclusively bare.

Hence it remains a "theory" based solely in "interpretive speculation", scientific as it may claim to be.
I'm pretty sure you didn't even read what I said at all (also revealed by misquoting my frequent use of the terms "facts" and "probable")—or else it's clear you still don't understand the word theory, and it should be explained again to you. I will continue doing this until you do.

This is another indication evolution is not probable.
And that is a complete falsity. It's not probably under those circumstances because intra-species reproduction is impossible. DUH.

Misguided according to who, what, why, where.
According to the people who actually know what they're talking about. I had to correct your interpretation of the term "theory" for you, as I did with hypothesis, Natural Selection, and even the very nature of Evolution itself. It's very clear that you have only an elementary understanding of the concepts involved; until you've fully grasped the subject at hand, then for all intents and purposes, any argument you make—logically valid or not—is compromised.

Its assumptive basis is again in "interpretive speculation", or opinionated belief.
Tell me, how is it, that when a Hawaiian cricket which chirps to mate and then gets eaten because its' chirping attracts a foreign predatory species of fly, and then loses the ability to chirp—but still mate—NOT "Natural Selection" and a process of evolution, as clearly observed by us over its' successive generations?
Again one must employ a Chasmic leap in interpretative judgement to declare such speculative possibilities as probable, much less predictably conclusive.
Until, as we did with the cricket, witness it first hand. No speculation or interpretation necessary: it was documented as it happened.

I am merely pointing out why evolution is not, in my estimation, to be considered factual or even probable since it is based in assumptive speculation.
And why should we listen to anyone who "falls woefully short" of the standards of education (or even basic understanding) of the subject at hand?
You've already demonstrated that you're not even familiar with the Socratic Method, let alone backing up whatever claims you make.

After your explanation, I could claim the samething.
On what basis?

Last edited:
Well if you don't have something to believe in. you would have a sad soul on this planet

I'm perfectly cheerful, but thanks for the concern.

Nice try, but nothing could be further from the truth. There is no magic excemption for "science". It is all based in belief.

No it isn't. Belief isn't required for data.

According to my understanding, the original evolutional theory claimed just that.

Yes. Your understanding. Seems to be a persisting problem here.

So he started as a monkey and became a man?

No. Individuals do not evolve, species do. Not to mention the bit where man didn't evolve from monkey - it's not Pokemon.

Again where did the monkey/man come from?

Its parents.

Last edited:
So tell us why the church is right "this time" about evolution

Not sure what you understand as "the church", but the Catholic Church has not insisted on a literal reading of the book of Genesis since before the publication of On the Origin of Species. Only some fundamentalist sects of Christianity continue to deny the basic precepts of evolution.

By "the church" I mean whatever these people use as their authority. Whoever teaches them to ignore reality.

Various pastors and preachers of various denominations who have nothing better to do than sit around all day finding new ways to decipher Revelations.

Not the Pope, though. The Vatican has already released a statement that says that Evolution doesn't contradict Christianity.

Most Bible Scholars agree that the Creation story in Genesis is more of a myth than an accurate history, though the genealogy given holds interesting clues as to the history of the Jewish people.

A history that isn't shared by everyone... considering some oriental cultures have histories going back to before the supposed time of Noah, and some gong back before the supposed time of Adam and Eve.

"We know that mutation and natural selection occur in living organisms and now we know that they also occur in a non-living organism. I suppose anything that can't do that wouldn't stand much of a chance of survival."
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-12/sri-sfs122909.php

There seem to be some unknown dynamics at work in the population of nonliving organisms that lead to ever increasing mutation, and that is a threat to human health.

Well if you don't have something to believe in. you would have a sad soul on this planet

I believe in you Paddycars1, that makes me happy :cheers:
If someone could (finally) explain/demonstrate to me what a 'soul' is/does, i might even believe in souls too ;)

But so far i have no reason to believe there exists anything non-physical that does not have a physical 'root'. Like thoughts are the product of the brain...

Sidenote:
SCJet, i've been out of this discussion for months now, yet i see no progress.

Can i please ask you to provide positive evidence for your view on things.
I understand you dismiss certain points brought forward, and though i am not impressed by most of it, it's of course great you have your personal view, that adds to the discussion and is interesting....
But doing that without bringing points that support your pov does not make much sense. (to me at least)

Surely you agree that determining a ball is not "red", does not decree the ball to be "green".

I mean, you can make this claim:
"Everything reproduces after its own kind and has repeatedly done so from the present to as far back in time as reasonably determinable. This indicates it will continue the same in the future"

But afaik a mule is neither a horse, nor a donkey. Just counting chromosomes actually puts horses and donkeys on par with humans vs. chimps (actually worse, but okay).
And you should neither forget that not all dogs or cats (or pigeons or ..... )can actually procreate with some other members of their 'kind'.

And talking about 'kind', since you brought that up, can you please explain to me what a 'kind' is?, how do you determine a 'kind'?
Since if indeed a 'kind' can reproduce 'after it's kind', then i'm afraid that i.e. some dogs do not even belong to the same 'kind' anymore.
And then that would be "macro" evolution right there if that's how you determine 'kind'. If you determine 'kind' in a different way, please enlighten me.
And if you can't, then please don't bother using that word.

There is really so much in your posts to 'shoot' at, let's take another one:
EDIT: I'm not talking about fossils from however long ago. I mean in the here and now. Live living and breathing.

By that statement you take the stance that glaciers are not formed over thousands of years of snowfall in mountains, it's fine with me to take that stance, but that does not make that stance 'reasonable', nor intelligible.

How can you even say 'ow, but i disregard any fossils of any age' while discussing evolution. That's absolute rubbish, i'm sorry.
That's like me saying 'ow, but i don't take the bible into account while discussing Christianity', i'm sorry, but that statement was, well........

Another one, against all odds ;)

"At the very least there should be a gross proliferation of transitional species everywhere, observable to all. But as said, it doesn't exist".

dude, you can just make that claim, but right here and now there live what are called 'ring species', and they are transitional species living right now across the globe.

Reading calims like that, tempts me to believing you're just making stuff up as you go now.
PLEASE don't just go and make up claims, especially when they are not correct, and the info is readily available

By now i'm starting to believe you completely underestimate the amount of evidence that actually exists for evolution, and 'odds are' it will only get "worse" The evidence just keeps piling up in ever growing rate and on multiple disciplines.
It's about time you start to thoroughly investigate what you so fighting against., and perhaps investigate what you are defending while you are at it.

You seem like a good chap SCJ, but you also seem to be fighting against evolution for the wrong reasons, and without understanding it......

Well, bash me return, i can take it :)

edit: sidenote 2
No kidding? ;)

Rofl ;)

Last edited:

I don't have a soul, so I guess I'm good to go, then. 👍 At any rate, I'm perfectly happy on this planet without anything supernatural to believe in. :)

I'm perfectly happy on this planet without anything supernatural to believe in. :)

Question, good sir. Could you please expand briefly on your meaning of the term "supernatural"? I.e., would the terms "paranormal" or "psychic" be necessarily synonymous, in your view?

Respectfully yours,
Dotini

Question, good sir. Could you please expand briefly on your meaning of the term "supernatural"? I.e., would the terms "paranormal" or "psychic" be necessarily synonymous, in your view?

Respectfully yours,
Dotini

In my eyes yes.

I will happily accept that there are weird things going outside our understanding of nature which are a genuine occurrence, we simply don't have the observational means to form any accurate conclusion. We know something weird is going on, but we don't know what and we don't know the cause. I wouldn't be surprised if many of these occurrences may account for a minority of supernatural, paranormal, or perhaps alien reports which may be unfairly dismissed.

There are two important points in that paragraph, the first is that I think the majority of these paranormal experiences are hoax, or explained by very natural and very understood phenomenon.

The second; is that of the minority of cases (which may be described as paranormal),they are very natural phenomenon, we just simply don't understand them yet.

I don't actively believe in the supernatural, I think there are very reasonable explanations which don't require souls, spirits and extra dimensions. I think the majority of these cases are people simply trying to fill in the blanks on an experience that they believe can't have a natural explanation.

I always think that supernatural as a term is somewhat of a misnomer, natural is a relative term, in my eyes everything around us is natural, the whole universe, just because we don't know of or understand it doesn't automatically make it unnatural or beyond natural for that matter. If that were to include ghosts, UFO's, flying spaghetti monsters, if it has the ability to exist then I would consider its natural and that's that.

As for synonyms for psychics, how about, erm, fraud? :sly:

[edit] sorry for carrying on somewhat off topic, I felt obliged to answer.

A problem with evolution that no one ever mentions, is the fact that certain organisms can't survive without each other. Such as a mosquitoes can't survive without its internal mutual organism, or a lion can't survive if there are no other animals to eat.

So the chances that all living organisms evolved in the correct order, in order for all of the basic forms of that species to survive, is basically impossible.

A problem with evolution that no one ever mentions, is the fact that certain organisms can't survive without each other. Such as a mosquitoes can't survive without its internal mutual organism, or a lion can't survive if there are no other animals to eat.

So the chances that all living organisms evolved in the correct order, in order for all of the basic forms of that species to survive, is basically impossible.

*sigh*

Those are all things which argue in favour of evolution, not against. What do you think those creatures had evolved to accommodate? It's not like they had existed with those necessities, waiting around for the right critter to pop into existence. (Incidentally, you may want to investigate the terms "convergent evolution", "parallel evolution", and "divergent evolution".)

Case in point, the symbiotic relationship between this snail, parasite, and the birds which feed and transmit both:

Here

And so, God created Pandas with all the tools of a killer, the stomach of an omnivore, and the soul of a cow. :lol:

Which begs the question: What did Lions eat in the Garden of Eden if all animals were originally created in a state of grace? They don't have the digestive equipment to subsist on fruit.

"We know that mutation and natural selection occur in living organisms and now we know that they also occur in a non-living organism. I suppose anything that can't do that wouldn't stand much of a chance of survival."
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-12/sri-sfs122909.php

There seem to be some unknown dynamics at work in the population of nonliving organisms that lead to ever increasing mutation, and that is a threat to human health.

I think it's a mistake to call them non-living. They're not organisms as we understand them, but they're definitely organic.

Evolution, though, is not limited to living things. Even if an object or idea is not an organism, if there's a way for it to reproduce or be reproduced, and a means for this reproduction to be selective, it can evolve.

The most intriguing example of this is memes. A meme cannot eat, talk or walk. It is merely an idea. But a meme can reproduce through transmission.

A meme can be harmless, and reproduce merely through its simplicity and ability to catch people's attention... such memes spread like wildfire through a population, then disappear just as quickly.

601px-Oolong_last_head_performance.jpg

Other memes affect their hosts' survivability, and often help them spread. Memes like Christianity and Islam... memes that fit well with imperial conquest (by giving the "divine right" to conquer... or "holy war") and the pacification of subjugated populations (through "divine authority" or "Sharia Law").

This is not to say that there are no positives in religion. The teaching of "Christian values" helps promote harmony within Christian populations... and the robustness of the "Christ" meme has led to its evolution from a single Roman Catholic Church into various Protestant and non-Catholic Christian denominations.

Such memes spread through conversion or down hereditary lines... but nowadays, more dangerous memes are spreading faster, thanks to media... doomsday cults... school shooters (many shooters refer to or cite previous shooters as "inspiration" ) and worst of all, Radical Islamist doctrines.

Which is why it is so hard to quelch Al Quaeda. the radical Islamic meme is so compelling and so powerful for certain types of people. Even though this meme ultimately destroys the carrier, it can still transmit itself to others. The danger is in its simplicity and appeal to our animal nature. The need for conflict resolution through physical force and action.

Biblical Fundamentalism is another meme that has a strong foothold in the deep parts of people's psyche. Despite Church leaders warning against a literal interpretation of the Bible, many sect and cult leaders still lead their followers into a literal interpretation of it, simply because having things simple, concrete and ironclad appeals to more people than the nebulous uncertainty that they get from modern science.

Scientific principles are also simple, concrete and ironclad, but often there is just too much information to process, and it is simpler to parrot the message rather than to actually have to go through the steps necessary to acquire an in-depth understanding of the world.

Thus, people begin to distrust science. When solid science is reduced to buzzwords and memes like "Anthropogenic Global Warming" or "Peak Oil", such oversimplification can lead to a dangerous proliferation of incorrect information and practices.

Which is probably also the case with Evolution. While the evidence is now more solid than ever in its support of Biological Evolution, the incredible depth and breadth of that evidence is so far beyond the understanding of many people that it's often easier to doubt it than to actually try to understand it.

Last edited:
For me Cosmology is as beautiful, poetic and divine as any religion, evolution is good start point because it makes sense from a scientific point of view, and science accepts that we just know too little about the origins of the universe, unlike religion that claims to know everything without any proof.
Can't say there is no god, but i can say that there is a good either.

Respectfully yours,
Dotini

"Supernatural", in my working definition, means anything outside the bounds of physics, chemistry, and biology. So yes, I would say that includes topics generally considered paranormal or psychic, such as ESP, telekinesis, etc. as those items are far from scientific in study or "proof".

SCJ, your misuse of terms makes it impossible to rationally discuss these things with you.

I've heard that before.

I'm sorry but my use of terms IMO are the most applicable descriptors for rational discussion of this issue. Possibly they may be considered misuses because I do not agree with many of the opinionated claims regaurding evolution.

A theory is not an idea somebody had, like in a detective saying "I have a theory how they did it." Even a hypothesis is more than that.

This is subject to the definition assigned. Herein lies a likely difference between what I assign and what you may assign. This will vary depending on what burden of proof threshold one considers that exsists in the prescribed theory or hypothesis for belief. A theory reguardless of who's theory, is still no more than a theory, or a possibility, if it is not demonstrable for conclusiveness. In that case any further confidence of probability assigned is generated from speculative belief.

Science is not a belief system. We don't believe gravity to be effective. We don't believe the water cycle exists. We don't believe 3 time 5 equals 15. All of these are facts verifiable by observation and experimentation by anyone anywhere.

To the contrary I say "it is" and "you do believe". Further I contend that the reason you believe is the fact that because all of these examples are verifiable by observation and experimentation by anyone anywhere. In other words they meet or exceed your personal "burden of proof" as just described. Likewise it satisfies the same in most people.

When enough of those repeatable observations have been collected by enough people over enough time, it goes way beyond belief.?

I find this a strange thing to say. What is beyond "belief"? Unbelievable?
You seem to be implying that if enough people believe something to be true, then it is true.

Remember, you defined belief as not requiring proof (loosely quoting) but everything I listed in my examples is taken as proven, because of the repeatability and portability of observation. (By that I mean that anybody anywhere can look at it and get the same result.) Absolute proof will never exist, which you take to be a fallacy. Absolute proof is accepted as impossible, because not all conditions can be known. We know how gravity works here, but how does it work in the center of a black hole? How about the event horizon of a black hole? A little more difficult to observe.?

Belief does not always require proof, depending on the individual and the circumstance.

"Absolute proof will never exist, which you take to be a fallacy"
I don't think I ever said that. In reality I think it can exsist and it is not a fallacy.

I would say "we think we know how gravity works".

Your other misuse of terms is your "understanding" of change in a species. No bird is going to suddenly have monkey children. No monkey is going to have human children. But change within a species does occur, and can occur in an observable span of time. We also see evidence of it in many species outside of a human lifetime. I saw somewhere this week about a tiny mouse that lives in a desert, the mouse is of course sand-colored for camouflage. If a mouse grew up with say, black fur, it would stand out and be easy prey for owls and hawks. Thus a preponderance, well, actually a unanimity of sand-colored mice. Then part of the habitat was been covered with lava, forming a black surface. Sand-colored mice became easy prey, but the occasional black-furred toddler was able to hide and survive. On the present day the lava area has black mice living in it, while the sandy area still has sand-colored mice. So a black mouse developed from a sand-colored mouse. Still "after its own kind," still a desert mouse, but a changed version more fit to its new environment. An occasional random mutation became a fitter specimen for the environment, and became predominant in that environment. It's not what we "believe." Before the lava flow occured there were no black mice, there was no place for them to be. If the environment didn't shape the species there would still be just as many black mice in the sand areas, because there always would have been. There are no black mice in the sandy area, only in the lava areas. Therefore an observable fact the an environmental change effected a change in the animal there.

Similarly, one of Darwin's earliest observations was the difference in finches he found. Finches widely known at the time have a short, strong beak for breaking seeds and nuts. Yet he observed finches with long, thinner beaks, useless for seeds, but great for pollinating flowers, or fleshy plants like cactus. Still a finch, otherwise no dfferent from any other, but a different beak entirely. Trapped on an island with a different food source, the species adapted by mutations in offspring being more successful than the "traditional" short-beaked birds.

You asked for a "transitional" species, but you don't accept the idea that every species is transitional by the very process of natural selction. You want a "missing link," something that isn't this, isn't that, but something in between. In post 4225 of this thread I presented the lungfish, which was promptly ignored by the creationists in the thread. The fossil record also presents the Tiktaalik roseae whose fins were actually limbs, thanks to a new bone structure, more like land-dwelling limbs than swimming fins, a single upper bone, two bones after a joint, then a group of bones at the end, what we now think of as a wrist. Fish fins are not made like that. A transitional species in your sense of the term. Something else for you to ignore or misinterpret.

Observable changes in species does not equate to the wildly speculative theories of evolution. (The mice obviously already had a black gene. If they are the only ones that continue to survive, it stands to reason they will become more black than sand or vice-versa). Nor does one example of a fish or fossil out of thousands of species of fish, much less all species. It can be claimed with more exsisting proof than what evolution claims, that this species has been that way since day one and will continue to be that way.

Once again the theory of evolution is based on quantum leap speculation.
Thats the best that can be said for it.

Until you speak the same language we speak, you're never going to understand what we're saying.

This sounds like double speak for "when I agree with you".

And I put my earlier question for Nicksfix to you: Do you know that the earth revolves around the sun? Do you accept that Jupiter has moons that are easily observable with even a discount-store telescope or cheap binoculars? Do you accept that without air resistance being a factor that a hammer and a feather will fall at the same speed? All of these taken-for-granted easily observable facts were once violently opposed by religious leadership. Persons who professed such things were imprisoned, or worse. Yet you know them to be true facts. So tell us why the church is right "this time" about evolution? All the evidence is out there, all of it reviewable by anyone who cares to make the effort, yet religious leaders oppose it violently. Why are they right this time? They're 0-in-forever!!!

I think you err here by basing a future speculative assumption on a different example from the past. In the the example of evolution, science is not attempting to claim an explanation of an exsisting, ever present force or viewable physical object, or as you put it "By that I mean that anybody anywhere can look at it and get the same result", but a emphatic claim as to the origin and developement of all life in direct opposition to what is demonstrable with the same results for as long as reasonbly determinable . Being not based in the same category as the former examples, yet proclaimed as if it were.

Ironically, the theory of evolution stands in direct opposition to your examples. Claiming an explanation for something that doesn't exsist with another explanation of how it does. Thats why in reality as previously said,
" It is a theory to attempt to explain another theory". BTW this eliminates it from one definitive category you are probably assigning.

400 years from now, creationists (meaning those who argue that evolution does not occur) will be looked on with the same amazement we use today for those who thought the earth was flat. How could people really think such a thing? How could they have this information at hand and still insist evolution didn't exist?

This also is pure speculation.

And a really more basic question: if the environment does not shape the species, then why don't all creatures exist everywhere? Why do we not have macaws in Florida, or alligators in New Brunswick? How's the grouper fishing in Kansas?

Obviously they got to their respective abode somehow and if designed for it could still already carry in their genetic code some adaptive capability.

I would like to make a observation here. From what is being claimed in some of the posts, I don't see the need for enviromental oversight since everything will adapt, die out and evolve anyway.

Given that you believe in creationism as that is what the bible states, I assume you also believe that all humans descended from Adam and Eve. This being so, how is it that we have human beings with different colour skin colours. Clearly here we have our own evolutionary process that must have happened after the first humans (Adam and Eve in your belief system) came into being. Of course it has taken considerably more time than the bibles 6000 odd years. Darker colour skin or maybe lighter depending on the colour of skin of the first humans evolved to adapt the climate people lived in.

Skin color can be in genetic operative code to begin with and as already pointed out, some changes can and do take place.
BTW they are still the same species.

Last edited:
Whoops sorry for the double post.

Sidenote:
SCJet, i've been out of this discussion for months now, yet i see no progress.)

In light of the over 6000 posts, I hope you haven't been holding your breath.

Can i please ask you to provide positive evidence for your view on things.
I understand you dismiss certain points brought forward, and though i am not impressed by most of it, it's of course great you have your personal view, that adds to the discussion and is interesting....
But doing that without bringing points that support your pov does not make much sense. (to me at least)

That is what I have been doing regaurding my view on evolution.
In light of reality I do not see any conclusive evidence to support it.
I see nothing but interpretive speculation being claimed as evidence.
Again it is a "theory" or "possibility".

Surely you agree that determining a ball is not "red", does not decree the ball to be "green".

Thats precisely my point regaurding evolution. In my view it seeks to call a red ball, green.

I mean, you can make this claim:

But afaik a mule is neither a horse, nor a donkey. Just counting chromosomes actually puts horses and donkeys on par with humans vs. chimps (actually worse, but okay).
And you should neither forget that not all dogs or cats (or pigeons or ..... )can actually procreate with some other members of their 'kind'.

As has already been pointed out, a mule as with most all hybreds are sterile or revert back to the original. This is significant evidence contrary to evolutional theory.

And talking about 'kind', since you brought that up, can you please explain to me what a 'kind' is?, how do you determine a 'kind'?
Since if indeed a 'kind' can reproduce 'after it's kind', then i'm afraid that i.e. some dogs do not even belong to the same 'kind' anymore.
And then that would be "macro" evolution right there if that's how you determine 'kind'. If you determine 'kind' in a different way, please enlighten me.
And if you can't, then please don't bother using that word.

It simply means people reproduce people, dogs reproduce dogs, mice reproduce mice, etc. etc.

BTW, thats the red ball. Like gravity, it is the exsisting, consistantly demonstrable and observable, force or phenomenon, ever present as far back as reasonably determinable.

There is really so much in your posts to 'shoot' at, let's take another one:

By that statement you take the stance that glaciers are not formed over thousands of years of snowfall in mountains, it's fine with me to take that stance, but that does not make that stance 'reasonable', nor intelligible.

How can you even say 'ow, but i disregard any fossils of any age' while discussing evolution. That's absolute rubbish, i'm sorry.
That's like me saying 'ow, but i don't take the bible into account while discussing Christianity', i'm sorry, but that statement was, well.........

Thats pure assumption on your part.
The statement was made because I said it does not correlate with reasonably determinable history. In other words it does not bear anything I consider evidentiary to disprove the red ball.

Another one, against all odds ;)

dude, you can just make that claim, but right here and now there live what are called 'ring species', and they are transitional species living right now across the globe.

OK elaborate.

Reading calims like that, tempts me to believing you're just making stuff up as you go now.
PLEASE don't just go and make up claims, especially when they are not correct, and the info is readily available

By now i'm starting to believe you completely underestimate the amount of evidence that actually exists for evolution, and 'odds are' it will only get "worse" The evidence just keeps piling up in ever growing rate and on multiple disciplines.
It's about time you start to thoroughly investigate what you so fighting against., and perhaps investigate what you are defending while you are at it.

What one may consider evidence, may not be considered as such by another.
Thats the essence of the differences here.
Much of what many here consider evidence, I see as interpretive speculation.

You seem like a good chap SCJ, but you also seem to be fighting against evolution for the wrong reasons, and without understanding it......

Well, bash me return, i can take it :)

My intention is not to bash you or anyone else.
Only to point out what I consider to be again, highly speculative claims concerning evolution.

people reproduce people, dogs reproduce dogs, mice reproduce mice, etc. etc.
Yes, but you are ignoring some major and obvious key factors when you say this, specifically the effects of cumulative genetic variation and the vast tracts of time over which these variations have manifest themselves as different species. Through sexual reproduction, new individuals are always genetically different from their parents hence providing the necessary variation upon which natural selection can act. This is as simple a fact as there is, and it is irrefutable. Whether natural selection does actually happen is presumably what you have a problem with, but there is ample evidence that says it does. By studying the genomes of various species, one thing becomes abundantly clear - we are simply too similar genetically for these similarities to have occurred randomly. You can argue that we have been designed to look like we evolved, but that is kind of redundant. The genetic evidence is overwhelmingly in favour of the idea that all species are related to all others to a greater or lesser extent, and there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest that they were merely designed to look that way.

I'm sorry but my use of terms IMO are the most applicable descriptors for rational discussion of this issue. Possibly they may be considered misuses because I do not agree with many of the opinionated claims regaurding evolution.

These are not claims or opinions, but well-reasoned conclusions based on facts and observations. Just because you do not understand the science does not mean you can dismiss the facts involved. The fact that Darwin got as far as he did in his time is remarkable. The genetics involved give us a clear map of where species belong on the tree of life, where they came from and what they're related to. Other sciences involved include environmental manipulation of species that reproduce rapidly, so we can get hundreds of generations in a reasonable amount of time, like fruit flies. We also can be very accurate in dating the fossil record through several means, measuring the decay of isotopes of elements such as carbon, even measuring the effect of light on the rock.

Take those mice again. Over time (and we mean a LOT of time, thousands, even hundreds of thousands of generations) the black population and the sand population will diverge. Right now they are the same species, and mixed offspring might be black, might be sand, might be spotted, who knows? But since the environment has separated the black mice and the sand mice, since they cannot survive in each others' environments for long, then they stay separate. Eventually the black offspring may develop longer fingers and toes, simply because those with such can move about the lava better and thus survive at a higher rate, while the sand mice may develop wider feet with padded soles, better to move on the sand. That may be through accidental random switching of existing genes, or it may be through a mutation. (BTW, mutation is the key, and something you steadfastly refuse to accept. More later.) Another change may be body size. Big black mice may be more successful in the rocky lava field, while smaller sand mice may be more successful in the sand by burrowing better. Enough of these changes, none of them signifant by themselves, and the two populations will someday find themselves unable to interbreed, because their genetic makeup has diverged enough to become two distinct species. No sand mouse suddenly had a black mouse that grew larger and had thinner longer toes, but when the populations were separated by their environments, the selection of successful individuals (successful meaning those that survive to reproduce) changed. In time (again, a LONG time) they diverge enough to be different species altogether. Notice also that nothing had to become extinct to make room for the new big black long-toed mice. A new niche appeared. Now, if the desert sand disappeared, so, too, would the sand-colored mice.

This is subject to the definition assigned.
No. The definitions in scientific terms are rigid, understood, and accepted by the community. Without that, there could be no meaningful communication, as witnessed repeatedly in this very thread. :sly:

Herein lies a likely difference between what I assign and what you may assign.
Absolutely. You redefine our terms and then use that to argue against us.

A theory reguardless of who's theory, is still no more than a theory, or a possibility, if it is not demonstrable for conclusiveness. In that case any further confidence of probability assigned is generated from speculative belief.
No, no, no, no, no.

An "idea" is a possibility. A well-formed "what if" idea is a hypothesis. This is the very first level of scientific consideration, where the concept is subjected to every conceivable test, and where speculation ends. A tested, demonstrated, and repeatable hypothesis is a theory. The HIGHEST level a scientific concept can reach, not the first level.

To the contrary I say . . . "you do believe". Further I contend that the reason you believe is the fact that because all of these examples are verifiable by observation and experimentation by anyone anywhere. In other words they meet or exceed your personal "burden of proof" as just described. Likewise it satisfies the same in most people.
That's not "belief." It's not accepted on faith, without proof or test. I can believe my brother is telling me a truth simply because I trust him, or I can know he's telling me the truth because he's backed up his statement with facts and evidence that I have access to and can examine and compare my own conclusions. That's what I meant by "beyond belief:" not that something is unbelievable, but that it's been demonstrated and proven, with verifiable facts and repeatable observations. It has surpassed acceptance-by-trust to acceptance-by-proof. It has gone beyond a state of requiring "belief."

You seem to be implying that if enough people believe something to be true, then it is true.
Not quite. If enough people observe the same effect from the same set of conditions and reach the same conclusion, then the conclusion is accepted as true. It is not "believed" to be true. If fifteen people at a party accepted a rumor that John's sister is a slut, then they "believe" John's sister is a slut. Nobody really knows, though, they just heard it emphatically enough to believe it, and it's not verifiable and repeatable. (Unless John's sister is a really really nasty slut!) :crazy:

Belief does not always require proof, depending on the individual and the circumstance.
No. Belief never requires proof. Belief in something is a statement of faith that it exists or is true. Knowing something requires proof.

I would say "we think we know how gravity works".
Quoted you out of context, sorry, but just to point out that we have no clue how gravity works, even though we understand its effects better than almost any other natural force. We can measure it, predict it, model it, but we cannot make it, change it, or block it.

Observable changes in species does not equate to the wildly speculative theories of evolution. Nor does one example of a fish or fossil out of thousands of species of fish, much less all species.
See? Ignored, subject changed, nothing discussed, no reason given, just dismissed out of hand.

(The mice obviously already had a black gene.)
Maybe, maybe not. This is where the concept of mutation comes in.

Mutation does not mean a rabbit couple produced as one of their offspring some entirely new animal (a "mutant") that was then able to find another like itself and go start a whole new species. No one has EVER said that that's what evolution means.

A mutation is a random change in a gene. Somewhere. An error in copying it from the parents, a cosmic ray nudging a few atoms in an egg cell, a completely random combination occuring somewhere in the sequence. Most mutations will never express. Some will express as some unsurvivable defect. Some, very very rarely, will express as something that turns out to be better than what was there before. This is where you say, "All species reproduce after their own kind," so such changes aren't possible, and that's where you're wrong. It's just not possible to 100% accurately copy every genome in every individual in every generation of every critter that walks, swims, flies, or takes root.

It can be claimed with more exsisting proof than what evolution claims, that this species has been that way since day one and will continue to be that way.
Why has no one, in centuries of science, or thousands of posts in this thread, produced any of this "more existing proof."

I'll completely ignore the word "claim," because that's not what scientists do.

Once again the theory of evolution is based on quantum leap speculation.
Um, no. Huge amount of data, quajillions of man-years of looking at the data.

No, it simply means that we cannot discuss things rationally if we're using words differently. Using words differently is akin to speaking different languages. No concepts can be communicated because no one knows what the other is saying.

. . . .emphatic claim as to the origin and developement of all life in direct opposition to what is demonstrable with the same results for as long as reasonbly determinable.
How is the theory of evolution is direct opposition to anything that has been observed at any time?

This also is pure speculation.
In this case, yes. But it's very easy for me to imagine, as it's my own attitude today. How can anybody ignore the huge body of evidence that exists and state that evolution is not the mechanism of the development of species?

I would like to make a observation here. From what is being claimed in some of the posts, I don't see the need for enviromental oversight since everything will adapt, die out and evolve anyway.
Did you really just say that your immutable always-has-been always-will-be species will - - - - - evolve?

Last edited:

This isn't the implication at all. If enough people are able to observe and study solid evidence that something is true, then it is true. There's no belief involved. If the evidence is right there in front of you then you don't need to exercise any belief, just comprehension.

Creationism requires belief as there is absolutely zero evidence to support the theory. The theory of evolution does not require belief, it simply requires further study.

I heard an interesting quote from Stephen Fry on TV last night. I can only paraphrase, but he said something along the lines of "people perceive scientists to be arrogant in that they always assume themselves to be right. In fact, this isn't the case as you're much more likely to hear a scientist say 'I don't know' when asked a question. In this respect, creationists are much more arrogant as they apparently know that all things were created by God...".

I think he's right. Do you know what? A lot of scientists really don't know and can't prove that evolution is the answer. But they're sure as hell doing a lot of research and uncovering lots of evidence all the time to suggest so. It's their job to "find out" if they "don't know". It's how we live in the technological and knowledgeable society we do.

How much research and uncovering of evidence do creationists do? Absolutely none. They hold completely unsubstantiated "belief" that God created us as we are. And they've sat on this "belief" for thousands of years without even wishing to question it. That seems pretty arrogant to me. Or ignorant. Or insular.

As well as ignoring several posts that point out that different equine species can interbreed. Maybe we should include lions and tigers?

-

As well as ignoring several posts where I pointed out that his dictionary definition of science as a belief system is flawed, because his definition relies on faith, which, by definition is an unquestioning belief .

-

I think we're just three or four posts away from trolling territory.... if we're not there, already.

Quoted you out of context, sorry, but just to point out that we have no clue how gravity works, even though we understand its effects better than almost any other natural force. We can measure it, predict it, model it, but we cannot make it, change it, or block it.

To add to that, in order to make gravitational theory work, we had to invent a theoretical particle - the graviton - which we can't detect or measure and even then the model seems to generate gravitational forces a full order of magnitude stronger than that which we observe.

So while SCJ has no problem accepting "gravity" which is wrong and has an imaginary vector, he'll rail against evolution which is correct and proven. Purely because of:

SuperCobraJet
According to my understanding

I'm sorry but my use of terms IMO
Your "IMO" doesn't count, because you're playing by your rules—not the ones established by the Scientific Community:
This is subject to the definition assigned.
By the established normative definition, you are operating completely outside of any consistently used parametres;

Theory:
"A theory, in the general sense of the word, is an analytic structure designed to explain a set of observations."

(In that vein, Trigonomic theory is not just an "idea", it an expression of known outcomes.)

Herein lies a likely difference between what I assign and what you may assign. This will vary depending on what burden of proof threshold one considers that exsists in the prescribed theory or hypothesis for belief. A theory reguardless of who's theory, is still no more than a theory, or a possibility, if it is not demonstrable for conclusiveness.
No. Because you are still using the layman's definition of "theory"; everything you've attempted to refute thus far is crippled by that fallacy.

In that case any further confidence of probability assigned is generated from speculative belief.
You need to back up this claim; speculation requires no investigative interpretation, relying on leisurely guesswork. Theories are the explanation of observable occurrances, be they mathematical or biological.

I contend that the reason you believe is the fact that because all of these examples are verifiable by observation and experimentation by anyone anywhere. In other words they meet or exceed your personal "burden of proof" as just described. Likewise it satisfies the same in most people.
Most people? As it should, I hope. And why not yourself? Or has someone failed to edit a grammatical error here?

Observable changes in species does not equate to the wildly speculative theories of evolution.
Then what does it equal? The changes endured by any species over any period of time is considered evolution; good or bad, and all subjective interpretations of the meanings between, it doesn't matter: changes in species over time plainly equates to evolution. (And this is why all species continue to evolve, and are constantly in a state of bridging other, "newer" species—however small the differences.)

It can be claimed with more exsisting proof than what evolution claims, that this species has been that way since day one and will continue to be that way.
Then you need to provide that proof. (And for the record, "existing" isn't spelled "exsisting", and "regarding" isn't spelled "reguarding".)

What you're doing is using your own, convenient definitions of words that have been commonly understood for centuries between entire academic and cultural entities; that you fail to respectfully accept and apply that recognition is your own stubborneness, not our own prophetic form of self-fulfillment.

In the the example of evolution, science is not attempting to claim an explanation of an exsisting, ever present force or viewable physical object, or as you put it "By that I mean that anybody anywhere can look at it and get the same result", but a emphatic claim as to the origin and developement of all life in direct opposition to what is demonstrable with the same results for as long as reasonbly determinable .
Regardless of his example(s), evolution makes no claims about the origin of species; conflating Darwin's origins, natural selection, and the mechanics of evolution are common pitfalls but are not to intertwined. (And as far as your impression that all species reproduce a certain way and will always continue to do so—that may very well happen, providing the conditions they exist within remain exactly the same.)

I don't see the need for environmental oversight since everything will adapt, die out and evolve anyway.
Sarcasm aside...

That is, unless the changes in the environment are too radical for successive generations to withstand. They die out. (Also known as extinction [it happens every day, btw]; habitat destruction = extinction: when a forest is cleared, a species doesn't evolve the very next day.) The ones that survived their conditions have already adapted, and so are suited for that environment. That is Natural Selection.

Skin color can be in genetic operative code to begin with and as already pointed out, some changes can and do take place.
BTW they are still the same species.
(Noone said they weren't.)

Yes, the origins of white people and black within the human race—if traced back far enough—do share a common ancestor [as that one itself shared a common ancestor with our more primordial, also currently existing symian relatives]. However, many millenia separated the two thereafter (where each adapted to its' local conditions), and only in relatively recent millenia have the two gene pools come into frequent contact. That we are still able to interbreed is only testament to similarity between our lineages, and is evidence of a common ancestor. (Though, obviously, blacks—typically taller, thinner, and with coarser hair and differing musculature, are more suited to vast, hot, arid landscapes; this is in contrast with the nordic whites: often shorter, stocker, and thicker boned—less apt to be running, but more efficiently heated and adapted to surviving cold weather. This is a perfectly obvious example of divergent evolution of the same, still-compatible species. How this is a "quantum leap" or "speculation" is beyond me, as it falls exactly within the common definition of Evolution—if not yours.)

I see nothing but interpretive speculation being claimed as evidence.
Again it is a "theory" or "possibility".

I don't know if English is a second language of yours, but at this calibre of debate, you're held to certain standards: these terms are not scientifically interchangeable; please stop.

As has already been pointed out, a mule as with most all hybrids are sterile or revert back to the original. This is significant evidence contrary to evolutional theory.

No, it's not. And that's exactly why there isn't a prominent self-propagating mule species—because they can't. Horses and donkeys continue to exist because their genes allow it, and they flourish. I'm really not sure how you take this to be evidence against evolution, since it has nothing to do with making hybrids. As natural selection indicates—what can't effectively reproduce, doesn't. (And for the record, some female mules are able to reproduce.)

Only to point out what I consider to be again, highly speculative claims concerning evolution.
If that's your only purpose here, you're done. You've done that. You don't need to continue.

If you wish to explain why you think it's speculative, or what allegedly fallacious elements pervade the concerns of evolution, then be my guest. But until then, this little debate which has trudged on for so many pages can be considered over because, at this point, it's not a debate: you need to back up your claims and provide more than just doubt.

Simply proclaiming you doubt something because you say it's speculative conjecture does not make it so, nor does it make your case any more compelling, or ours any less. Until you can definitively deconstruct our values associated with it, as many scientists themselves have attempted and continue to do, there's a very distinct dearth of credibility on your part.

On a sidenote. . .

niky
So... they're different species and yet... gasp... heresy... they can interbreed.... but not perfectly. Wow. Awesome. I'm going to go sing the "Boom-de-ya-dah" song now in celebration of the gross affront to divine law these heathen animals represent.

Rhetoric like this tends to make people put their fingers in their ears the next time you try and talk to them.

Last edited:
Rhetoric like this tends to make people put their fingers in their ears the next time you try and talk to them.

Can't hear you... still. singing. What was that? Oh yes, but since he's ignored several of my other posts, already, I doubt it's doing much harm, in his case. :lol:

I'm sorry, I'm Catholic (an incredibly bad one, though). That gives me the right to use the word "heathen" ( :lol: ). Of course, I do also eat pork, which is proscribed in the Bible, I also work on the Sabbath, which is proscribed in the Bible, and I'm still not any more Jewish than when this argument began. And while the Bible says all species reproduce after their own kind, no... they don't. Some species can interbreed... but they don't breed true.

A literal interpretation of all things Biblical is an incredibly bad way to go about reading it, simply because the older sections are not a "history of the world", they're a history of the Jewish race and religion. Which is why the Catholic Church frowns on a literal interpretation of Genesis (or any part of the Bible) and instead concentrate on the more theological and philosophical implications of Biblical study instead of chasing after (non-existent) evidence of the world being just 6000 years old.

Last edited:
I still wonder how Creationists can swallow the concept of "eternal" without the slightest hiccup, but they somehow can't wrap their heads around the simple concept of a really really long time.

That fundamental disconnect is what prevents them from considering evolution.

Back