Creation vs. Evolution

• Thread starter ledhed
  • 9,687 comments
Swift
And I was saved when I was 24, my best friend when he was 25. And others that I know in there 20's and 30's. So uh, now what?

Were you raised learning about Christ?? Were your parents Christian?

danoff
What religion do your parents follow?

My father went to a catholic school and my mom wasn't religious until I started bringing her to church.

Swift
My father went to a catholic school and my mom wasn't religious until I started bringing her to church.

So was your father a Catholic? Had your heard of Jesus Christ by the time you were 25? Had you also heard of Joseph Smith, Lord Vishnu, Hephaestus, Osiris, Serapis, Re, Anuket, or Amon?

Did you know more about Christianity than you did about the aboriginal kangaroo creation myth? Are you getting my point yet?

danoff
So was your father a Catholic? Had your heard of Jesus Christ by the time you were 25? Had you also heard of Joseph Smith, Lord Vishnu, Hephaestus, Osiris, Serapis, Re, Anuket, or Amon?

Did you know more about Christianity than you did about the aboriginal kangaroo creation myth? Are you getting my point yet?

I knew you were going to try to spin this into somekind of thing about my parents getting me into. Just so you know, my father is AGAINST me going to the church that I go to and that I'm involved as I am.

My parents DID NOT send me to church or anything like that. They had as much as an effect on my spiritual choice as they did on my career choice. Being that they were supportive in whatever I chose.

BTW, if you live in what would be classified as "mainstream" America and hadn't heard of Jesus when you're 25, you're lying.

Swift
I knew you were going to try to spin this into somekind of thing about my parents getting me into. Just so you know, my father is AGAINST me going to the church that I go to and that I'm involved as I am.

My parents DID NOT send me to church or anything like that. They had as much as an effect on my spiritual choice as they did on my career choice. Being that they were supportive in whatever I chose.

BTW, if you live in what would be classified as "mainstream" America and hadn't heard of Jesus when you're 25, you're lying.

Ok, so you were exposed (not by your parents but by society) to Christianity far more than any other religion and so were predisposed to choose that one.

BTW - how did you like that bit about feasting on the blood and flesh of the prophet? I as particularly proud of that characterization.

danoff
Ok, so you were exposed (not by your parents but by society) to Christianity far more than any other religion and so were predisposed to choose that one.

BTW - how did you like that bit about feasting on the blood and flesh of the prophet? I as particularly proud of that characterization.

Please, I went to a JEWISH temple for a good porsion of my teenage years. I could recite the main prayer and was on a first name basis with the rabi. Christ was literally a banned word in that place.

Before I was saved, I believed that any and all religions could be right and there wasn't any point in chosing one. Then God convicted me.

Don't try to prepackage and stereotype my faith.

Swift
Please, I went to a JEWISH temple for a good porsion of my teenage years. I could recite the main prayer and was on a first name basis with the rabi. Christ was literally a banned word in that place.

Before I was saved, I believed that any and all religions could be right and there wasn't any point in chosing one. Then God convicted me.

Don't try to prepackage and stereotype my faith.

So you're telling me then that you were not predisposed to picking ANY religion over any other. So you were just as exposed to and likely to choose the Australian Aboriginal faith as your were Christianity? You've read up on ancient Egyptian and Greek beliefs and you've investigated hinduism and meditated in an attempt to achieve nirvana...

Don't try to tell me that you were objective about this.

danoff
So you're telling me then that you were not predisposed to picking ANY religion over any other. So you were just as exposed to and likely to choose the Australian Aboriginal faith as your were Christianity? You've read up on ancient Egyptian and Greek beliefs and you've investigated hinduism and meditated in an attempt to achieve nirvana...

Don't try to tell me that you were objective about this.

No I never considered those religions. Why? Because they are obviously intrinsically flawed. Many required human sacrifice. My point is that while I might not have been "objective" as you say, I was certainly not, "Predisposed" to christianity.

I mean, you were foolish enough to post that christians believe Jesus was a prophet. Obviously, you're not being as objective as you say I should be.

Swift
No I never considered those religions. Why? Because they are obviously intrinsically flawed. Many required human sacrifice. My point is that while I might not have been "objective" as you say, I was certainly not, "Predisposed" to christianity.

No? I don't think anyone in America isn't predisposed to Christianity over the vast majority of religions.

I mean, you were foolish enough to post that christians believe Jesus was a prophet. Obviously, you're not being as objective as you say I should be.

You don't believe he was God (or a god), he fits the description of prophet in my book, but what would you want me to call him? A demi-god?

Demi-God:

1. A male being, often the offspring of a god and a mortal, who has some but not all of the powers of a god.

Ok, I'll go with demi-god. That sounds even LESS credible.

danoff
No? I don't think anyone in America isn't predisposed to Christianity over the vast majority of religions.

You don't believe he was God (or a god), he fits the description of prophet in my book, but what would you want me to call him? A demi-god?

Demi-God:

1. A male being, often the offspring of a god and a mortal, who has some but not all of the powers of a god.

Ok, I'll go with demi-god. That sounds even LESS credible.

No, you said "Christians believe....." Christians don't believe he was a prophet, they believe he's God.

If you don't believe in anything, that's fine. But don't misquote what a certain faith believes in.

Swift
No, you said "Christians believe....." Christians don't believe he was a prophet, they believe he's God.

If you don't believe in anything, that's fine. But don't misquote what a certain faith believes in.

They do not believe he's God. He's the son-of-god, from a human mother. That makes him a demi-god. Christians believe Jesus is a demi-god (by the definition of the term).

danoff
They do not believe he's God. He's the son-of-god, from a human mother. That makes him a demi-god. Christians believe Jesus is a demi-god (by the definition of the term).

Jesus is God. 100% man and 100% God. Yes, Mary was his mother but the Holy Ghost was his father. Meh, I seriously doubt you would get it since it would come down to a scientific analysis of spirtual things. This of course is pointless.

Anyway, I'm a christian by my choice. I had more then enough chances to go to other religions, but didn't. Again, you won't understand that.

So, are we going to talk about creation again anytime soon.

Time for Bill Bailey:

Bill Bailey
"Well there's God - He's God. Then there's Jesus - He's God too. Then there's the Holy Spirit, who's a mnurmnur mmbbr of a bnnbrbm". At which point all of Islam goes "What?". Hindus, "Huh?" and Buddhists "Shhhhh!"

Swift
Jesus is God. 100% man and 100% God. Yes, Mary was his mother but the Holy Ghost was his father. Meh, I seriously doubt you would get it since it would come down to a scientific analysis of spirtual things. This of course is pointless.

Son of God with a human mother = demi-God. Christians do not believe Jesus had all the powers God has, so I think it fits the description quite well.

Anyway, I'm a christian by my choice. I had more then enough chances to go to other religions, but didn't. Again, you won't understand that.

...because you were predisposed. I understand that you're christian by choice. I'm not claiming that anyone drug you in kicking and screaming and brainwashed you.

danoff
I belive Jesus is God's son, but many Christians do belive Jesus is God.

Hence the capital letter.

Bill Bailey is a comedian. This particular part of one routine is covering "The Holy Trinity".

danoff
...because you were predisposed. I understand that you're christian by choice. I'm not claiming that anyone drug you in kicking and screaming and brainwashed you.

So you're saying it's like an alcoholic gene or a gene that predisposes you to cancer? That just because it was exposed to me, along with other things, that it was inevitable that I chose Christ? Interesting, especially considering you've chosen to not stick to any choice.

Swift
So you're saying it's like an alcoholic gene or a gene that predisposes you to cancer? That just because it was exposed to me, along with other things, that it was inevitable that I chose Christ? Interesting, especially considering you've chosen to not stick to any choice.

No. I'm saying that of the religions out there you were more likely to choose Christianity than many others simply because you were exposed to it more. There are tribes in Africa that have complex religions that have been believed for probably thousands of years which you have not been exposed to - making you far less likely to choose that religion.

I'm saying that you didn't give all religions a fair evaluation before you decided upon one.

danoff
No. I'm saying that of the religions out there you were more likely to choose Christianity than many others simply because you were exposed to it more. There are tribes in Africa that have complex religions that have been believed for probably thousands of years which you have not been exposed to - making you far less likely to choose that religion.

I'm saying that you didn't give all religions a fair evaluation before you decided upon one.
Christianity if pretty widespread though. Unless you live in middle of nowhere, I don't think it's possible to have never ever heard of Jesus.

a6m5
Christianity if pretty widespread though. Unless you live in middle of nowhere, I don't think it's possible to have never ever heard of Jesus.

All the more reason why people don't give other religions a fair shot. How can you know that your religion is the One True religion if you don't even investigate the other religions out there?

(FSM excluded, we all know that the One True Monster is our Savor)

Grand Prix
So, when Christains refer to "God", they are actually referring to Jesus Christ?

Depends on the denomination. As a follower of the Apostolic faith, I believe in Oneness. Simply meaning there is one God and three manifestations. Some christians believe in three seperate persons in the godhead.

a6m5

...And, if a person is at least educated, it is impossible for he/she to have not heard of the Titans, Zeus, Ra, Hades, and Vishnu.

Back