Cursed Political Content

• Thread starter TexRex
  • 6,598 comments
TBF they do keep making it easy for us. 11/6 doesn't mean 6th November everywhere.

F2AecxEWYAAgfJr.jpeg

On average, are people from the United States aware that the rest of the world doesn't use MM/DD/YYYY?

I'd imagine competent net users learn this within 30 minutes of using a computer but it's such a cliché I'm not sure about Joe Sixpack.

Last edited:
On average, are people from the United States aware that the rest of the world doesn't use MM/DD/YYYY?

I'd imagine competent net users learn this within 30 minutes of first going on the internet but it's such a cliché I'm not sure about Joe Sixpack.
Most people probably aren't aware and when the day is between 1-12, I can see how that would goof someone up too. It seems common enough for Americans not to understand the European system and for Europeans not to understand the American system. I legit don't know why it's different either.

I'm of the mindset that you use YYYY-MM-DD though since it sorts things better on a computer. That seems to make everyone annoyed though.

I think Europeans understand American dates, temperatures and measurements well enough but just don't use them. 9/11 is pretty much recognised everywhere.

I'm of the mindset that you use YYYY-MM-DD though
This.
I think Europeans understand American dates, temperatures and measurements well enough but just don't use them. 9/11 is pretty much recognised everywhere.
Celsius is a crime. I get m and kg. I have no intuitive way of moving off of psi, but I can get on board with the math(s?). But Celsius, that's just obviously inferior.

This.

Celsius is a crime. I get m and kg. I have no intuitive way of moving off of psi, but I can get on board with the math(s?). But Celsius, that's just obviously inferior.
I'm not sure SI would work with Fahrenheit-sized temperature units. It seems to be tied in with Kelvin.

I'm not sure SI would work with Fahrenheit-sized temperature units. It seems to be tied in with Kelvin.
Meh. Metric could work just fine with Fahrenheit/Rankine. The only problem with Fahrenheit is that it's a long word with at least 1 extra h.

Last edited:
Meh. Metric could work just fine with Fahrenheit/Rankine.
As I understand it the ideal gas law works on the basis that if you double the internal energy at absolute zero the temperature moves up one degree. Rankine would require a conversion factor.

YYYY-MM-DD
Remove the dashes and that's how I've saved all of our construction camera pictures for the last decade.

Sorting MMDDYYY (or DDMMYYY) for a mutli-year project is hell to find what you're looking for.

I wonder how many other treatable diseases and conditions they should also ban because this poster maker thinks basing legislation on religious dogma is a sensible idea.

View attachment 1273214
Yeah, they forget to remember that, just perhaps, advances in medical science over the centuries may just be due to their god's will. Or that god willed us to be able to figure stuff out on our own.

This.

For me celsius is the easiest conversion. I suck at math so I figured out an easy way to get in the ballpark ( while driving from El Paso to Dallas). Take the temp in C x 2 + 24-28 and you get the temp in F. The 24-28 depends on how hot it is: If you have a temp of 16C you would add 28 to 32 and you get 60F.

OTOH, if you have a C of, say, 30 you add 26 to 60 and get 86F.

Conversely, take the temp in F, minus 24-28 and divide by two. The answer will be the temp in C.

Please do not be too hard on me, these numbers may be off by a degree or two F as I just did them in my head.

As a medic I had to learn how to use kg and such due to drug dosages as all meds are in grams, milligrams or micrograms, often based upon weight. Again, since I am nowhere near a math whiz and even basic algebra turns my head inside out, I had to come up with a way to calculate dosages using what I refer to as "stupid math". It allowed me to calculate dosages often faster and just as accurate as if I used the algebraic equation...If I could remember it.

Don't get me started on calculating friction loss in 5K feet of 1 1/2 single-jacketed hose with elevation changes. I used a calculation card for that and a grease pencil on the side of the fire engine.

For me celsius is the easiest conversion. I suck at math so I figured out an easy way to get in the ballpark ( while driving from El Paso to Dallas). Take the temp in C x 2 + 24-28 and you get the temp in F. The 24-28 depends on how hot it is: If you have a temp of 16C you would add 28 to 32 and you get 60F.

OTOH, if you have a C of, say, 30 you add 26 to 60 and get 86F.

Conversely, take the temp in F, minus 24-28 and divide by two. The answer will be the temp in C.

Please do not be too hard on me, these numbers may be off by a degree or two F as I just did them in my head.

As a medic I had to learn how to use kg and such due to drug dosages as all meds are in grams, milligrams or micrograms, often based upon weight. Again, since I am nowhere near a math whiz and even basic algebra turns my head inside out, I had to come up with a way to calculate dosages using what I refer to as "stupid math". It allowed me to calculate dosages often faster and just as accurate as if I used the algebraic equation...If I could remember it.

Don't get me started on calculating friction loss in 5K feet of 1 1/2 single-jacketed hose with elevation changes. I used a calculation card for that and a grease pencil on the side of the fire engine.

I was opining about how it would be difficult for me to move away from psi to switch to metric, because I have an intuitive feel for what psi represents and zero intuition for the kpa equivalent. I have some notion of what a km is, etc. But psi is a challenge.

That being said, celsius is just a terrible system of measurement for temperature.

Last edited:
I suck at math so I figured out an easy way to get in the ballpark
Nines are great for ballpark imperial/metric conversions. If you know your nine times table you're good - and the thing with the nine times table is all the digits add up to nine: 9, 18, 27, 36, 45, 54, 63, 72, 81, 90.

For C to F, every 5C is 9F, but since the scales start 32 apart you need to add 32 to get the right result. Since 32 is awkward, just make it 30. If it's not a whole 5, make how much of a 5 it is into a guess of how much of a 9 it is and don't worry about decimals.

28C is five lots of five and most of another five, so make it five lots of nine (45) and add most of another nine - let's say... seven (52) - and add 30 to reach 82F. 28C is actually 82.4F.

For the other way round, take off 30, work out how many nines it is and make that into fives. 90F - 30 is 60, 60 is six nines and about two thirds of another nine, six fives is 30 and two thirds of another five is a bit less than three so that's a bit less than 33C. 90F is in fact... 32.2C.

Nines work well for imperial gallons (but not sucky US ones) to litres. One gallon is 4.546 litres, so two gallons is literally within one percent of being exactly nine litres - so you just double how many nines you have to convert. Very useful in a country where we buy fuel in litres and record distance in miles and fuel economy in mpg.

300 miles from 36 litres is 300 miles from 8 gallons, or 37.5mpg.

I tend to agree that F is better than C for temperature (at least from a weather perspective) because the range from 0-100 is pretty intuitive for human comfort. 0 is really ****ing cold and 100 is really ****ing hot.

The rest of the imperial system is total garbage though. I routinely waste brain energy on inch fractions.

Last edited:
TB
Remove the dashes and that's how I've saved all of our construction camera pictures for the last decade.

Sorting MMDDYYY (or DDMMYYY) for a mutli-year project is hell to find what you're looking for.
I'm a YYYYMMDD advocate specifically for the reasons you outlined. I have projects in my office approaching the 20-year mark.

edit: I don't know why I replied to this post which is now clearly not the topic of the conversation any longer :lol:

Last edited:
YYYYMMDD is great for filenames but not so good for talking to people. I just use the month name and an ordinal number to avoid confusion when conversing with Americans.

Last edited:
YYYYMMDD is great for filenames but not so good for talking to people.
Saves a lot of time when talking to time travellers or people trapped in board games though.

Last edited:
I don't expect I'll ever forget the quoted post--indeed it popped into my head the other night while talking with friends about possibly the best worst movie ever made, Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins--but I'd forgotten about this unhinged response.

Screenshot-20230804-072743-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Maybe it shouldn't, but it still amazes me how Trumpers stumble over themselves and one another to fellate the soft bitch.

Latest Posts

Back