D1gp Ps2 Games

• Thread starter drifterzzz
  • 88 comments
Cosmic
RBR sucks , just to let you know that ;)

not exactly ! it is uglier than PSX colin mc rae 1 lol
and gameplay is reaaaally not fun at all, it's too technical for a game I think
it's simple theres a tutorial because you absolutely can't play the game without it.
Realistic maybe but hey if you've got a real car ;) 100% realism is not the most interesting thing anyway hehe

On the D1 subject I hope it's going to be good enough as I'm a big fan of best motoring and 1 of the crew is a D1 racer, I'll post a quick review ass soon as I can get my hands on it shouldn't be long as I know a drift fan ready to import it and play a game he doesn't understand one word of lol

there is already at least 2 D1 cars in GT4 btw one HKS I think and the other not so sure...
I searched a bit those two I already have seen pictures in GT4 :
taniguti.gif

nomura.gif

FRST
On the D1 subject I hope it's going to be good enough as I'm a big fan of best motoring and 1 of the crew is a D1 racer, I'll post a quick review ass soon as I can get my hands on it shouldn't be long as I know a drift fan ready to import it and play a game he doesn't understand one word of lol

the most of the menu seems in english anyway

Biased turkey
Would you like to trade place ? so I could play all the great PS2 sims released in Europe while you'll "enjoy" all the crappy "racing" stuff released for the American market.
At least the weather is the same in both countries ( having a big snowstorm right now )
Sure. Why not? So I can buy Kaido battle and tokyo extreme racer 3 :)

Quick impression:

So far it seems kind of fun! I've only played it for about 30mins with my dualshock2 and it's not too hard to play. There's handbrake and clutch but I'm sure most of you probably know about it, but the handbrake is very stiff with the analog buttons :) (not that it's a bad thing)

I'm playing the Tsuchiya Trial where you learn the basics of drifting. You go through tests and there's an example video to see how the drift is suppose to be done.

There's a Battle Mode where you either race against an opponent (COM or 2P) by time or by drift points. When you select a car you can choose "Pro Driver" which are the D1 GP drivers and their respective cars, or you can just pick "Player" where you get normal (drift modified) cars to use. These "Player" cars have the option of choosing different colours and sticker patterns, changing wheels, and adding/removing a rear wing.

Physical damage is in the game. The front and rear bumpers will fall off, but I'm not sure about the wing and other parts though ... but so far I've had my front/rear bumpers fall off :P I don't think there's mechanical damage but there might be. I've only played it for a bit so I can't be too sure :)

spooony
Physical damage is in the game. The front and rear bumpers will fall off, but I'm not sure about the wing and other parts though ... but so far I've had my front/rear bumpers fall off :P I don't think there's mechanical damage but there might be. I've only played it for a bit so I can't be too sure :)

car damage is where other drift sims have fell behind, damage is part of the whole experience! I'm looking forward to this one 👍 , how much $$ did you put down for this?

This game sounds awesome. I doubt it will come to Australia so I may have to look at importing it. I hope they do release it here though.

If anyone is playing the game, let me know how to pass Test 2-3 :( I can't read all of the Japanese text so I'm not too sure what the requirements are. I can get over 40 "drift" points to meet one of the requirements for that test but I still fail it. There's something I'm not doing right but I don't know what it is....

I guess I should've paid attention in Japanese class a few years ago :P

is there a something like a career mode? can u chose a normal car and build it up as u progress? or do u have u start with one of the d1 cars and go from there?

spooony
If anyone is playing the game, let me know how to pass Test 2-3

On the 'blue road zone' you have to press handbrake and hold it :) And spooony, after finishing 4 steps there is 'xtreme' mode in tsuchiya trial.

ps.: 900degree works, its pretty fun actually. The way the car feels when drifting is kind of similar to the feeling of live for speed, but for example if you 'over countersteer' the front wont turn away, i hope that you know what i mean :P. So well, when gripping physics feels very arcadey, when you're already in a drift it feels realistic and forgiving in some ways at the same time, its really cool, at least with driving force pro in 900degrees without assists ingame. But then, i can't say how hard it is with dfp, because i've already 'get hang of the 900degrees' due to using it since february 2004 in live for speed, gt4 prologue, gt4 bmw demo, gt4jap demo, richard burns rally and so on..

Now Ai, it is pretty smart, it can twin you really well.. And on the start it will wait for you, it won't go full throttle.. You can also twin it so replays looks awesome :dopey:

Sounds, well engine sounds should be better, but all the crowds chearing, judges saying things and so on, it's making nice atmosphere. But what i noticed, to see the judges 'animated(their faces, you've all probably seen it on screenshot) you have to drive with 'behind the car camera', otherwise you can say bye bye to this nice feature, because its also not visible on replays.. Dissapoiting. Another bad thing is this that you always start with behind the cam view so I need to change it to bonnet cam all of the time, and loading times could be better. I also noticed some game slowdowns.

Summary:

Good things:

- Official D1GP game
- Official Tracks
- Official Cars
- Official Drivers
- etc.
- Driving force pro 900degree support
- Pretty nice physics when drifting
- On-life judging(Voices, score is given after a round)
- Ability to play as pro drivers and as you.
- Atmosphere

Bad Things:

- Physics when gripping, but since you are suppoused to drift here all of the time it's not that important.
- Engine Sounds(I expected them to be better)
- I'm not sure if its a game for a long time, for me it's just a game that i will be playing in a wait for liveforspeed s2.
- Not much more bad issues noticed yet. I played it only for 3 hours so far.

Final score: After 3 hours of playing, 7+/10.

EDIT
kamkor
but for example if you 'over countersteer' the front wont turn away, i hope that you know what i mean :P

My mistake, i've tested it now, it's there. I just got used to not 'overcountersteering' because of lfs, rbr and other sims. But that doesn't change a fact that some things are just forgiving :).

just got my hands on this game as well, takes alot of getting used to. u really need to do the tsuchiya trial first to train yourself, otherwise you'll never get the hang of it.
much better than kaido battle 2 :sly:

I haven't really started to play it yet
all I did just capturing some screenies for you guys who don't have it

Can you guys describe the drifting physics more? Are they realistic or arcadey? Does it feel like you're drifting or does it feel like NFSU2? Could you compare (or contrast) it to any other racing games that you can drift in, especially GT3/4, Live for Speed S1 and Forza demo? Can you do all the proper drift techniques as described in BM Drift Bible?

Thanks a lot. This game looks kick ass, they've put a lot of time into the presentation and obviously have official D1 blessing. Great to see Keiichi teaches you how to drift. I just want to make sure the physics live up to everything else, because I'd need to get a mod to play this.

More impressions of DFP use are always welcome too :).

Tortus: You obviously didn't read my post, but i will write again and more 'deeply'.

Driving force pro(900degrees) is supported(be also sure to turn off the assist). Force feedback is pretty good too. First thing that you feel is how odd gripping the car is, but once you're in a drift(Not to mention that it's too easy to get the car into a drift) the feeling is similar to liveforspeed. So it's really pretty good in my opinion. I also like drifting in d1gp more than in Gran Turismo 3(Dunno about GT4, didn't play it yet). So if you want to experience only drifting in your lil ps2 box(at least when you have dfp) then buy D1GP game. You also have to be carefull on sharp corners to not spin. And for example, Imamura FD3S -> It's a very nice balanced car, lil but understeery in a drift(i like it that way). It suits very fast drifting and it can easy handle long corners like the one from ebisu circuit, now Ueo 86, to drift long corners with it you will need to clutch kick and to play with handbrake when in a drift and also there is bigger and faster countersteer needed with this car. More questions?

Anyway, I've finished D1GP championship twice already, on the first time i was second and unlocked one track, on second time i was first and unlocked Taniguchi silvia 2001 gp champion car and a track.. I wonder how much more cars there is to unlock :dopey: And one more thing, cars you won - you will find them in 'player' car selection screen.

My quick review...

Pros

+ 900 Degrees mode is fun
+ love the tandem battles
+ bumpers and side skirts come off on impact
+ Nice track selection
+ Good car selection

Cons

- arcade-like physics (slam on the gas anytime to correct your angle)
- bad music and sound
- loooooooooooong load time
- game lags at times
- Could have more car customization

This game seems like it was rushed. I know they could've added more options. I would play it more but I can't handle the loading time. They should've made quick menu's or something. But it's pretty fun. I'll probably throw it aside when GT4 arrives.

The graphic engine they use is RenderWarez
but the graphic is just poor .... too much influence from GT4 :guilty:
I totally agree this is a rush game
or are they a newbie developer for PS2 games?

This game felt like those low budget Japanese games. Well...it's a bit more in-depth than those Simple 2000 Series games :P

Did anyone manage to do the first 3 "X-treme" events? kamkor? I spent about 30mins trying with a dualshock2 and couldn't do it. I came very close to the first one but part of my car was just outside the box :(

Spoony: I did only first xtreme event. But from now, i will be playing this game only with a pad :P. I've just played live for speed in 900degrees mode again, now I can again easily feel how much more unforgiving lfs is after playing this d1gp :).

LFS > D1GP in drifting :P Too bad that lfs doesn't have all those real tracks.

Yuke's isn't a newbie game developer by any means. This is actually their second racing game (that I know of) - the first being a racing game that combined car racing and a Monster Rancher style element that would generate a track by inserting a music CD.

Yuke's has sponsored Ueo's AE86 for 2 full seasons now and if I'm not mistaken Yukitani owns a stake in the D1 championship.

I have yet to play it, so I'm not even going to try to argue the "rushed" feelings that you guys are getting, but I do know for a fact that Yuke is a VERY SERIOUS racer and think it would be safe to assume that he'd be passionate about anything that involves something that he's sponsoring.

how many points are required on test 1-4? it should be 25 from what i read on game's site on trial page.. i reached 40+ points but still i didnt pass it :(

I don't think they're gonna release the game in the states. And Yukes isn't a newbie company, you can check out www.yukes.co.jp to see all the games they've made. Got bored so I made a short vid of 1 match jus to give you guys a feel of how the game is.

http://sirikone.dayam.com/host/d1gp01.wmv Wasn't my best run, but just something quick.

http://sirikone.dayam.com/host/d1gp02.wmv (the replay)

Forgot I was suppose to follow and my bumper ended up flying off. I should have recorded a crash so you guys can see how the judges react, it's pretty hilarious. After playing it for a few days.. I think the physics are very much like NFSU2, but just a little bit better.

Vicx
just got my hands on this game as well, takes alot of getting used to. u really need to do the tsuchiya trial first to train yourself, otherwise you'll never get the hang of it.
much better than kaido battle 2 :sly:

Well I don't have D1 Grand Prix, but it's hard for me to believe it's better than Kaido Battle 2; I played this game for over 40 hours and I don't think that D1 Grand Prix will
deliver that kind of fun and longterm motivation...; from all I've read here and concerning the famitsu's and other japanese magazines' scores there is almost no objective possibility that this game is better than Kaido Battle 2, so please write things like " I personally like this better than..."

Back