DaxCobra's First Car - Quantum H4 Kit Car

• Thread starter DaxCobra
  • 173 comments
That is so weird seeing those Fiesta back lights... :lol:

That roof is pretty cool though! Still got enough boot space even with the roof down?

That is so weird seeing those Fiesta back lights... :lol:

That roof is pretty cool though! Still got enough boot space even with the roof down?

Yep. It sits on two mounts in the boot above everything so it hardly takes up any space.

Never really got to congratulate you on your purchase on this thread. So congrats on getting the car! Looks pretty cool and definitely something unique. As for the roof, that is pretty cool. 👍

Dax the speedo is the exact same as my Fiesta has, the steering column is too and the stalks :dopey:. (With the hazerds button on the middle :D.)

Seems the mk4 had bits from the mk3 too :lol:.

That looks snug in there :scared:

Wait, why is the gauge in MPH? Then K/PH? I thought the UK was full Metric.

Nope we still use Miles officially, but otherwise we're pretty much metric (officially, a lot of people still use yards and stone etc.).

👍

Also, your knees look really cramped in there Dax. :scared:

A bit overkill with all these photos jake :P

Hardly! Great looking car and a very complementing color.

Its missing though. It needs a badge!! Its needs a Lotus or an MG badge!

Try these? Or not at all. Or just get the Quantum badge?

Ebay Lotus badge

MG badge

I don' really like these either but some kind of badge on the hood would look good.

Last edited:
I know I am not going to get a 20BHP gain from a filter and I have explained this before... I was saying it has AROUND 100BHP so I could end up with AROUND 120BHP... not just with the filter though. I ended up with a different car anyway.

And you underestimate how poor CVH filters are.

Right. We ripped out the seats and carpet and put brand new BMW carpet in. (Cost £50!)

Repainted the Chassis with POR 15 (£40 for 6 small tubs! :embarrassed:)

Other little jobs done too. I am happy with the results so far, pictures to follow. :)

How did I not spot this thread before?

Great first car 👍 Was quite keen on these when I was in my mid teens, and went through a stage of wanting one for a first car. Back in my early teens I went to a few kit car shows and caught sight off a few of them, and heard about how cheap they were to insure. This one and a few other kit cars were on my "want" list for a while. Definitely cooler having a targa sports car-type thing as a first car than a bog-standard hatchback...

...In the end, I went for a bog-standard hatchback, a Fiesta Mk4! Not really sure why, but probably because there was a car dealership close by.

Great having a tight-knit ownership community too, should help you with plenty of the usual first-car problems.

Personally I'd change the steering wheel for something a bit less naff (even an RS-style original Ford one), and I hope the new gearknob you have isn't the horrific one in the picture a few pages back!

Yeah, I have been looking at kit cars for a first car since I was about 10 and I knew about the Quantum but didn't really look into it until a couple of years ago.

Why didn't you get one?! They are awesome!

Great having a tight-knit ownership community too, should help you with plenty of the usual first-car problems.

Yeah, the kit-car community is really good, always willing to give advice. I have been in the kit-car community since I was around 4, when my dad started building a Dax Tojeiro Cobra replica and I have been to thousands of shows. The Quantum Club especially is very good for advice and help.

Personally I'd change the steering wheel for something a bit less naff (even an RS-style original Ford one), and I hope the new gearknob you have isn't the horrific one in the picture a few pages back!

Hey. :grumpy: The wheel is nice. :P It suits the dashboard and feels nice in my hands. :D The new gearknob isn't the one pictured, I got a much more discreet one. :)

Last edited:
Old carpet. Bleurgh. :yuck:

211q55.jpg

New Carpet. Mmmmm. :drool:

(£51 for 3 of these!)

1iza5t.jpg

New Carpet going in...

11ru640.jpg

aoax00.jpg

35bwm5d.jpg

Some Extra shots. Note: The tape is over the numberplate because I had just glued them on and they hadn't set yet.

2mrctx0.jpg

30w8fo4.jpg

Here is what it sounds like.

Last edited:
2zxo4dj.jpg

Just a small update, I plan on getting a new steering wheel and a new pair of seats this month and that's about it.

After that, it's a case of driving it for a bit then going for performance modifications, starting with changing the 1.1 block for a 1.6 Zetec.

Note the new badge. :)

Nice Dax, when you pass your test so you can legally razz about in it :P.

Just a small update, I plan on getting a new steering wheel and a new pair of seats this month and that's about it.

After that, it's a case of driving it for a bit then going for performance modifications, starting with changing the 1.1 block for a 1.6 Zetec.

Note the new badge. :)

You're finally getting rid of that monstrosity? :P

How much will the insurance rise with a 1.6 engine? You can't get away without telling them about an engine swap... :lol:

Nice Fiesta Quantum. :P

I can see why you went for it though, those insurance quotes make it a very attractive prospect. 👍

How much will the insurance rise with a 1.6 engine? You can't get away without telling them about an engine swap... :lol:

Exactly the same. Quantum Owners do fixed quotes.

Quantum make this also:

7190336458_027d13e203_z.jpg

With the right engine, for example a Rover V8, these things can be putting out well over 300BHP.

I could insure this for the same price. :)

Nice car you have, I have just picked one up for my daughter. It has a yellow 1.8 zetec in it needs a bit of tidying up.

Nice car you have, I have just picked one up for my daughter. It has a yellow 1.8 zetec in it needs a bit of tidying up.

Great! Tell me how you get on with it! 1.8 is going to be quite fast in this car, my friend has a 1.6 Zetec and that is quite nippy!

Back