DiRT Rally Thread

So apparently Codemasters is still recycling stages in Dirt Rally:

1435446038343.png

Kinda disappointing IMO. I'm fine with full forward and full reverse variations, but chopping the stages up and calling them a completely new track is pointless :/ Even RBR have 4 unique stages for each locale with only 2 recycled as reverse...

1435446038343.png

Kinda disappointing IMO. I'm fine with full forward and full reverse variations, but chopping the stages up and calling them a completely new track is pointless :/ Even RBR have 4 unique stages for each locale with only 2 recycled as reverse...
There's always RBR to go back to if you're not happy, it's Early Access! Give them a break ffs.

I just tried RWD for the first time in Dirt rally, I didn't think it would be possible to drive without a h shifter, but I found it's very easy. If this is meant to be a sim, I can't imagine what the other dirt games must have been like(glad I avoided them). I don't have much hope of this becoming a good sim after driving the RWD cars. It's way too basic and simple to ever be convincing as far as I can see. I'd love if they proved me wrong though.

There's always RBR to go back to if you're not happy, it's Early Access! Give them a break ffs.

Chill mate, there's no need for attitude. I was merely bringing the issue of recycling stages, which has always plagued Codemasters' Dirt games. It's cheap and it makes the game boring quick, even with weather and day/night variations. I could go back to RBR (heck even CMR1 on PS1 has lots more unique stages), but if we want progress then you gotta keep pushing the limits. Even though it's Early Access I bet this is 80% of what the final game will be.

After so long, Dirt Rally looks like the successor RBR finally deserves. Me and all other rally fans no doubt want to see it as good as it possibly can be. That's why we are always so picky about physics/FFB/cars/tracks/etc. We love the game and want to see it get better, not hating it!

Chill mate, there's no need for attitude. I was merely bringing the issue of recycling stages, which has always plagued Codemasters' Dirt games. It's cheap and it makes the game boring quick, even with weather and day/night variations.

I'm very pleased that they effectively doubled the length of potential stages compared to DiRT 2/3 (they had 2 to 4 minutes for the short and long configurations, now we have 4 to 8 minutes), and the weather makes a much bigger difference than it ever did on DiRT 2/3 as well.

Once we have 6 rally environments in place, each with effectively 16 minutes of unique rally stage (in varying conditions, able to be run in reverse), plus Pikes Peak and a whole bunch of rallycross tracks... Then we can start clamoring for more rally environments as DLC please :)

P.S. Codemasters has so far taken the "hard" route with DiRT Rally and recreated famous real rally stages. Would you be willing to accept "inspired by" fake environments in future stages, or do you think they should stick to recreating actual famous stages?

I'm sad that I'm too poor in the Career to snag myself a nice, sexy F2 Kit Car. That Peugeot 306 is just so freaking sublime... with a little tuning.

P.S. Codemasters has so far taken the "hard" route with DiRT Rally and recreated famous real rally stages. Would you be willing to accept "inspired by" fake environments in future stages, or do you think they should stick to recreating actual famous stages?

I think having a good balance of both is the way to go. I'm not an avid follower of WRC, so I wouldn't be able to tell real life from fantasy stages. Knowing that you are driving the same stages as real life drivers is pretty cool. But Codemasters' fictional tracks have always been rather good and they can be more creative (and dangerous) than real stages so it's good to have them as well. The more the merrier as they say 👍 (which also ties in to the "more unique stages" argument, but I can understand if they don't have the manpower to make as many stages as I'd like - hopefully the game is moddable and the internet will come to the rescue :D).

I'll tell you guys something. Due to time constraints I usually play DiRT once a week for about 40 mins, in order to record review/gameplay videos. Usually at the end of them I am in a good mindset and can wait until the next chance. This time though I am itching to get back in the car and start winning races just to get that 306 in the Career mode and slide it around Germany. So well done Codemasters! Now just fix your penalty system and your clutch and we are sorted!

One of the comments left on my video actually mentioned the Renault 5 Maxi... I think that would be a welcome addition. Personally I would like to see GB Rally, Finland and the early 00 Rally cars added (which I am guessing they will do)

1435446038343.png

RBR also looks like a foot, making these stages takes a lot of time and effort. Personally I'm pretty happy with the 12 stages and the 3-7 minute stage length which is more than enough. Yeah the recycled sections can get old but only if you do every stage in a row. I do hope we get much more locations though, only 6 rally locations confirmed so far I would like to see twice that amount.

I hope the next major update brings ~3 Rallycross tracks and a set of cars.

Looking forward to discussions about joker laps and how to get the cars working optimally on mixed surfaces.....

I hope the next major update brings ~3 Rallycross tracks and a set of cars.

Looking forward to discussions about joker laps and how to get the cars working optimally on mixed surfaces.....
Rallycross has been at this weekends world rx event, petter solberg posted on fb about it.

RBR also looks like a foot, making these stages takes a lot of time and effort. Personally I'm pretty happy with the 12 stages and the 3-7 minute stage length which is more than enough. Yeah the recycled sections can get old but only if you do every stage in a row. I do hope we get much more locations though, only 6 rally locations confirmed so far I would like to see twice that amount.

Yeah, I'm aware of the better graphics requiring more work on the stages (though RBR looks good enough for me). This I think is the main barrier to a good rally game this gen. You need to constantly balance trade off between graphics and amount of stages. I'm just a bit peeved that they keep calling chopped up parts of the stages with different names when they are not. Just like when PD decides to call a day/night or weather variation a "new" track.

As I said above, I think the key moving forward would be moddability. As long as people can create tracks and cars a good base game should last a long long time.

Well, I'm glad I sold my consoles. :lol:
I'm glad I didn't buy a PS4 in the first place but I'm still looking forward to Forza Motorsport 6 and there's nothing like Horizon on PC. Different horses for different courses.

Last edited:
At least my Xbone bequeathed me a comfortable controller to use with the game. I just started the 60s Championship with a Fulvia, placing 4th or 5th every time and absolutely loving this. Ultra graphics aren't giving my GPU as much of a workout as PCars but it looks pretty enough although Milestone's Loeb game will probably be better looking. Nothing like the insane hell gameplay experience I was dreading when they compared it to Richard Burns.

Penalising restarts is great; it just encourages me to plough on through and take whatever measly reward money I'm given to invest in crew and parts for next go around. It feels more immersive though I'm sure it'd be even more so if we had a reactive co-driver like in that WRC Evolved movie @Skython posted earlier. Can't have everything I guess.

For anyone interested, Green Man Gaming has the game on sale for 20% off today. Furthermore, if you use the coupon code GMGSUM-MERSAL-E20OFF you can get a further 20% off bringing the game's price to $24.31/€21.11, which is the cheapest it's ever been and probably will be for quite a while.

Last edited:
At least my Xbone bequeathed me a comfortable controller to use with the game. I just started the 60s Championship with a Fulvia, placing 4th or 5th every time and absolutely loving this. Ultra graphics aren't giving my GPU as much of a workout as PCars but it looks pretty enough although Milestone's Loeb game will probably be better looking. Nothing like the insane hell gameplay experience I was dreading when they compared it to Richard Burns.

Penalising restarts is great; it just encourages me to plough on through and take whatever measly reward money I'm given to invest in crew and parts for next go around. It feels more immersive though I'm sure it'd be even more so if we had a reactive co-driver like in that WRC Evolved movie @Skython posted earlier. Can't have everything I guess.
I just wish that the no-restart reward scaled with the championship difficulty. 10K doesn't mean much when 3rd in a Professional championship will net you 90K, and second gets you 110K.

Back