DiRT Rally Thread

DiRT Rally so far is 100% reproducing real life tracks, including those famous rally stages. I always assumed that would be the plan for Rallycross as well, especially with the official FIA license.
I wouldn't be surprised if they add Barcelona, Hockenheim and Istanbul - they have already got assets in place for those venues.

It would be good if they could also add Loheac, San Luis and the new Riga circuit.

Last edited:
Anyone confirm?
upload_2015-8-3_12-7-57.png

RX Update video

On Lydden Hill's Clubman track, on every heat, there'll be an AI driver who goes straight into the wall of tires at the hairpin and then retires on the next lap.

Last edited:
RX cars are fun to drive, however the AI is terrible and way too easy to beat. I hate how games have scripted crashes where the leader will suddenly become a potato and swerve into a fence... completely ruins the immersion.

Also the performance is really bad on my rig, frames are dropping into the 40's and motion blur looks way overdone.

RX cars are fun to drive, however the AI is terrible and way too easy to beat. I hate how games have scripted crashes where the leader will suddenly become a potato and swerve into a fence... completely ruins the immersion.

Also the performance is really bad on my rig, frames are dropping into the 40's and motion blur looks way overdone.
the Performance is dreadful i used to have it set to high and i would get 50 -60 fps. To get 40 fps on the new tracks i have to set it to low and even then it drops occasionally to 17.

So, just recorded a video review of an event at Lydden Hill. Suffice to say I was not impressed with the update overall (as you'll see tomorrow). The cars were fine, felt very nice to drive but the previous problems of the game have not been fixed in the slightest (My biggest one being the clutch). That ruined the entire fun from it. On top of that, the AI is beyond appalling. In a test run the same car hit me in the exact same place in the exact same way on three seperate tries. It is as if it had no idea I was there. To make it worse, I watched a replay and saw two of the cars end up in REVERSE at the start of the final heat, leaving it to a two horse race. This is meant to be AI difficulty on hard and with the number of times I had no gears thanks to a rubbish clutch system and gear system for H patterns, I would not have expected much. Yet I won the entire championship, pretty easily. Overall: 6/10 for the update. It was rushed out and I would much rather have had older issues fixed than RX right now.

The rest of the rally cross content comes out the end of the month, Codies said before that the AI isn't done and is there for bug fixing and line testing for now

I was so close to rage quitting. I don't feel like playing DiRT Rally anymore, despite winning easily. Far too many issues now.

I was so close to rage quitting. I don't feel like playing DiRT Rally anymore, despite winning easily. Far too many issues now.

What issues are you talking about? Watched some of your video looks like you're having issues with your (noisy) gear shifter... something that is probably isolated to your specific shifter. I haven't had any issues with gears not changing.

What issues are you talking about? Watched some of your video looks like you're having issues with your (noisy) gear shifter... something that is probably isolated to your specific shifter. I haven't had any issues with gears not changing.

Nothing to do with my gear shifter, sadly. The clutch physics are completely trash in this game (worse than GT5 I daresay). There is no concept of a bite at all and it ruins gameplay completely. I do not have any trouble in any other game/sim. Plus the AI is horrific at the moment (though at least they can stay on track). FFB still is not what it should be either (but it is better than it was pre germany). Don't get me wrong, there are lots of lovely things about DiRT. The cars handle nicely, the sounds and visuals are lovely and the variety is great. But when there are problems that ruin the game it just makes it a hassle. AI I can say will be improved as CM have said BUT to be honest the state that they are in it feels that this update was rushed when it was 75% ready (a mixture of internal and external pressure I am sure). And then there is this digital clutch (whether this is isolated to a G27 or not I do not know but I would say probably not). CM should know how to implement a clutch and having clutch control is key in rally, especially on the older cars (pre 00s) So to have it digital and right at the bottom of the clutch range with no fix in sight is quite poor. Play with AT, or clutchless sequential and I feel we miss out on the finer aspects of rally. But like I said in the video it isn't the missing gear which annoys me most, but the way DiRT reacts when you do. So yeah... Definitely not my rig, though I actually wish it was.

Nothing to do with my gear shifter, sadly. The clutch physics are completely trash in this game (worse than GT5 I daresay). There is no concept of a bite at all and it ruins gameplay completely. I do not have any trouble in any other game/sim. Plus the AI is horrific at the moment (though at least they can stay on track). FFB still is not what it should be either (but it is better than it was pre germany). Don't get me wrong, there are lots of lovely things about DiRT. The cars handle nicely, the sounds and visuals are lovely and the variety is great. But when there are problems that ruin the game it just makes it a hassle. AI I can say will be improved as CM have said BUT to be honest the state that they are in it feels that this update was rushed when it was 75% ready (a mixture of internal and external pressure I am sure). And then there is this digital clutch (whether this is isolated to a G27 or not I do not know but I would say probably not). CM should know how to implement a clutch and having clutch control is key in rally, especially on the older cars (pre 00s) So to have it digital and right at the bottom of the clutch range with no fix in sight is quite poor. Play with AT, or clutchless sequential and I feel we miss out on the finer aspects of rally. But like I said in the video it isn't the missing gear which annoys me most, but the way DiRT reacts when you do. So yeah... Definitely not my rig, though I actually wish it was.

Right yeah they do need to work on the clutch/h pattern options, we need an option to have a clutch work with sequential shifting as well. If you want to avoid that problem you are having you could just use sequential shifting for now and not worry about the clutch, most of the cars in this game would not need the clutch used for normal gear changing so it's not exactly a realistic option anyway.

I agree they are rushing all of these updates so they stick to the road map they announced when the game was released, they are focusing only on the new content rather than improving some of the core game issues which is disappointing.

Right yeah they do need to work on the clutch/h pattern options, we need an option to have a clutch work with sequential shifting as well. If you want to avoid that problem you are having you could just use sequential shifting for now and not worry about the clutch, most of the cars in this game would not need the clutch used for normal gear changing so it's not exactly a realistic option anyway.

I agree they are rushing all of these updates so they stick to the road map they announced when the game was released, they are focusing only on the new content rather than improving some of the core game issues which is disappointing.

I am actually considering doing that, but from the next episode I am back in the Stratos so yeah... clutch needed xD
But yes... I kinda had high hopes for CM this time around... not so high anymore...

I haven't bothered to fire it up, but I'd assume RX cars are limited to RX tracks? (in the same stupid way that you can't run anything else on Pikes Peak beyond the hillclimb cars etc.)? I was stoked about Dirt Rally when it came out, but it simply can't keep me interested...and I'm a huge rally nut (making this more frustrating).

I haven't bothered to fire it up, but I'd assume RX cars are limited to RX tracks? (in the same stupid way that you can't run anything else on Pikes Peak beyond the hillclimb cars etc.)? I was stoked about Dirt Rally when it came out, but it simply can't keep me interested...and I'm a huge rally nut (making this more frustrating).

Yeah RX cars only, I don't mind that but I agree it's stupid to not let us use other cars on Pikes Peak. Group B cars would fit perfectly, no idea why they locked it to Hill Climb cars only.

Yeah RX cars only, I don't mind that but I agree it's stupid to not let us use other cars on Pikes Peak. Group B cars would fit perfectly, no idea why they locked it to Hill Climb cars only.

IIRC there was something in the dev streams about opening up Pikes Peak to other class cars, not sure if there has been any kind of progress or further comments on this. The 25 minute mark of this video from a couple of months back has a brief mention of the idea.

Sorry if you're already aware and/or they've rejected the idea.

Not really interested in the rallycross as my laptop won't be able to handle it that well. Can't wait for Finland and Sweden though. As a guy who grew up with Colin McRae Rally 2.0, I'm really hoping we get some late 90's/ early 2000's cars.

Not really interested in the rallycross as my laptop won't be able to handle it that well. Can't wait for Finland and Sweden though. As a guy who grew up with Colin McRae Rally 2.0, I'm really hoping we get some late 90's/ early 2000's cars.

Yeah we need the Ford Focus and Evo 6, among others. Finland will be epic and I hope they do a good job of Sweden with some realistic snow banks for us to get stuck in.

Back