DiRT Rally Thread

I was using R2 on my T300RS rim and it's fine for me (on PC using 900 degrees in drivers but with 60% steering saturation = 540 degrees actual rotation on all cars). You only need to dab the handbrake briefly to initiate, and almost always you can do that before the wheel has rotated far enough that your thumb is no longer able to reach the button.
That's what I've been using on SLR currently, so most likely will continue with for DR, good to know it works well.

Wow I am pleasantly surprised that the game is running at 1080p, 60 fps on the XBone. I was going to pass on it after seeing how bad F1 2015 performs on the same console. Thank you @MildAshers for your review, I think I will buy it now.

My PS4 copy should arrive tomorrow.

When I did a rally driving course some years ago in a works front wheel drive Peugeot the steering was mostly controlled around tighter corners by using the handbrake. Subtle changes to the handbrake and throttle were what steered the car while the steering wheel was kept on half lock.

Does anyone know if I can use the shift paddles for changing gear on my T300 while using the TH8A as an analogue handbrake with the subtlety I mentioned above?

image.jpg

You'll have to excuse the method. Took a pic of the screen as I can't get my captures to show up on xboxdvr and I don't know any other way of getting them.

My PS4 copy should arrive tomorrow.

When I did a rally driving course some years ago in a works front wheel drive Peugeot the steering was mostly controlled around tighter corners by using the handbrake. Subtle changes to the handbrake and throttle were what steered the car while the steering wheel was kept on half lock.

Does anyone know if I can use the shift paddles for changing gear on my T300 while using the TH8A as an analogue handbrake with the subtlety I mentioned above?
Sadly I think the analog handbrake function of the TH8A is PC only (not the fault of DR, just a general side effect of the fact that switching to analog mode requires PC software and makes a change to the device firmware). So it's on/off either mapping sequential down or 4th gear.

Took a pic of the screen as I can't get my captures to show up on xboxdvr and I don't know any other way of getting them.

DVR and public displaying of Achievements don't show up for games until they hit their street date.

I got a press copy and was playing over the weekend and experienced the same issues as I did with Forza Motorsport 6 (Ultimate Edition owners of that game got to play it a week before retail release).

Everything will be fine tomorrow ;)

--

I tried a Hillclimb event yesterday and had some trouble with the Peugeot 205. I found that the rear end was really "floaty" but as I wasn't getting a lot of controller feedback I was wondering what I could do to fix this issue. To put it simply, it doesn't feel like the back end of the car is connected to the road at all.

Also, controller feedback on general is pretty weak, even at 150% I'm barely getting anything unless I'm on gravel. It makes a big change from Forza Motorsport 6. Codemasters games have typically had weak controller feedback on Xbox though so I'm not surprised.

DVR and public displaying of Achievements don't show up for games until they hit their street date.

I got a press copy and was playing over the weekend and experienced the same issues as I did with Forza Motorsport 6 (Ultimate Edition owners of that game got to play it a week before retail release).

Everything will be fine tomorrow ;)

--

I tried a Hillclimb event yesterday and had some trouble with the Peugeot 205. I found that the rear end was really "floaty" but as I wasn't getting a lot of controller feedback I was wondering what I could do to fix this issue. To put it simply, it doesn't feel like the back end of the car is connected to the road at all.

Also, controller feedback on general is pretty weak, even at 150% I'm barely getting anything unless I'm on gravel. It makes a big change from Forza Motorsport 6. Codemasters games have typically had weak controller feedback on Xbox though so I'm not surprised.

Been hearing the opposite to this on youtube reviews re the controller, I'll be using the TX wheel but was under the impression the controller is fantastic to use in this game and the elite controller on xbox is amazing apparently.

Yeah I know that just wondering if it was the same on console.

They are on XB1 so I'd assume the same for PS4 👍, only thing is I believe you have to buy the car in career mode to unlock the upgrades for them, but you can still drive them without.

Last edited:
They are on XB1 so I'd assume the same for PS4 👍, only thing is I believe you have to buy the car in career mode to unlock the upgrades for them, but you can still drive them without.
It was like this at the start of Early Access on PC, but then they changed it so that car unlocks are only needed in career mode (which includes custom championships). Benefits of user feedback :)

Custom Event mode on the PC gives you fully upgraded cars irrespective of whether you own them in career mode or not. I'd be surprised if the console versions were different.

Been hearing the opposite to this on youtube reviews re the controller, I'll be using the TX wheel but was under the impression the controller is fantastic to use in this game and the elite controller on xbox is amazing apparently.

On gravel it feels good, but I'm not getting a lot of feedback on asphalt.

With the 205 in particular I can't feel the rear end stepping out until I see it on-screen by which point it's too late.

It may just be something to do with the 205, I'm not sure. All I know is that even at 150% scale I'm not getting as much feedback as I would have liked.

Other than that though the game's a lot of fun to play; it's certainly a challenge and I like the fact that it's just me against the clock. If I lose an event I know it's because of me not being quick enough, not because Player X punted me off the track :D

It was like this at the start of Early Access on PC, but then they changed it so that car unlocks are only needed in career mode (which includes custom championships). Benefits of user feedback :)

Custom Event mode on the PC gives you fully upgraded cars irrespective of whether you own them in career mode or not. I'd be surprised if the console versions were different.

I didn't realise custom event gives you fully upgraded cars, in that case it's most likely the same and means my quest to get all upgrades for every car has become kind of pointless... although as I'm just over half way done I may as well finish them off and I have found some cars I wouldn't have otherwise gave much running to which I've really enjoyed. I could speed up the process by using all the perks but I'm enjoying just doing a full championship with each car for now :).

I'm actually playing on PC, was just answering from what I'd seen in press copy streams for XB1 and now I think of it the guy I usually watch for Dirt Rally has been playing the PS4 copy for the last week as well :lol:.

Sadly I think the analog handbrake function of the TH8A is PC only (not the fault of DR, just a general side effect of the fact that switching to analog mode requires PC software and makes a change to the device firmware). So it's on/off either mapping sequential down or 4th gear.

Oh that's a real shame. Thats not worth the effort then. May as well just map a button on the wheel if it's only an on and off switch. I wonder if I could map the clutch pedal to the handbrake? It would certainly be strange but I could learn to do it that way. We had a foot operated handbrake on our last Merc although not for hander turns ;) I'll try it when I get the chance. I'm surprised Thrustmaster has not bought out a handbrake to work with the system yet.

Last edited:
Well with the official release date coming tomorrow, Thrustmaster's post is good news for guys who want to use H-pattern and handbrake separately on the PS4. https://www.facebook.com/ThrustmasterRacingTeam

Apparently it supports up to 3 simultaneous TH8A shifters:

Plus the new expensive Sequential knob accessory, of course:
http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/products/th8-sequential-knob

This is very interesting.. I know on PS4 with project cars the TH8a in sequential mode was always L1/R1 like the paddles. Didn't matter if I hooked it up to the wheel base or used the usb connection to the console. - EDIT - has been pointed out elsewhere that this functionality was added on Project CARS, I just tested it so early on and never needed it really so never tried again.

If I can use it in sequential mode as a handbrake and use the paddles to shift, I will be really happy and surprised. Hell, it may just lead me to order another Th8a so I can use one to shift and one as handbrake. Never thought this would be possible on the ps4.

Last edited:
OK I have bitten the bullet. TH8A on it's way :)

It is an awesome shifter, way better than the logitech one. Making a short shift kit for h-pattern mode (if you want) is really easy and there is a guy on here that sells nice ones too. Seth Francis is his name. I made my own which if you want to see - i wrote a crappy blog post for that can be found in my signature.

If the postie puts through one of those cards saying 'package was too big for the letter box' tomorrow while im at work i will be fuming haha!

Im even going back home at lunch to check :lol:

My workplace was a bit naughty and had the empty slip case out on display today. It's only two blu-ray boxes thick, so it should just fit in a standard letter box.

This is very interesting.. I know on PS4 with project cars the TH8a in sequential mode was always L1/R1 like the paddles. Didn't matter if I hooked it up to the wheel base or used the usb connection to the console. - EDIT - has been pointed out elsewhere that this functionality was added on Project CARS, I just tested it so early on and never needed it really so never tried again.

If I can use it in sequential mode as a handbrake and use the paddles to shift, I will be really happy and surprised. Hell, it may just lead me to order another Th8a so I can use one to shift and one as handbrake. Never thought this would be possible on the ps4.

It's great as a shifter, just be aware of the post earlier which warns that it might not be possible to use it as a proper controllable analogue handbrake on console, merely as an on off switch. If that is the case then its not worth buying another one for or losing the shifter as a proper shifter just to use it as a glorified on/off switch. Further investigation possibly required.

It's great as a shifter, just be aware of the post earlier which warns that it might not be possible to use it as a proper controllable analogue handbrake on console.
Oh - yeah that is true - the analog mode is PC only. This is set in a driver and the functionality is not on ps4 or xbone and Thrustmasster is not planning to add it. - But.. just being able to use it as a hand brake with no mods, and be able to have 2 so one can be a shifter and one can be a handbrake is a nice feature for the ps4

On the custom events, there are 2 types. The custom events from the main menu which give you free choice of car and full upgrades and then custom events within career mode which you use your own cars for and can earn credits from.

Oh - yeah that is true - the analog mode is PC only. This is set in a driver and the functionality is not on ps4 or xbone and Thrustmasster is not planning to add it. - But.. just being able to use it as a hand brake with no mods, and be able to have 2 so one can be a shifter and one can be a handbrake is a nice feature for the ps4

Every time I pulled the handbrake I'd be thinking I can use a DS4 controller stick for this with a finer and more realistic level of control than the beautiful 100 pound gear stick. If I had a PC good enough then absolutely it could be worth it.

A friend has actually taken his t300 apart and wired in a proper handbrake to his PS4 rig. However I think he might not be on GTPLANET. I'll ask him what he did.

Back