DiRT Rally Thread

Every time I pulled the handbrake I'd be thinking I can use a DS4 controller stick for this with a finer and more realistic level of control than the beautiful 100 pound gear stick. If I had a PC good enough then absolutely it could be worth it.

A friend has actually taken his t300 apart and wired in a proper handbrake to his PS4 rig. However I think he might not be on GTPLANET. I'll ask him what he did.

When you wire a handbrake to the T300 you have two options... Solder it to a button (so it is digital on/off) voiding the warranty, or you splice into the clutch pedal wire and you lose the clutch but can have an analog handbrake. Most people do the first, as a lot of console games do not read analog for the handbrake only digital. - in the grand scheme of things picking up another TH8a is not a big deal (for me). Or using it as a handbrake and using the paddles to shift is an OK compromise. Modern WRC cars actually moved to paddle shifters in some classes. I have always wanted to mod up a handbrake was thinking of going the route of a bicycle pull brake handle that would be tied to the back of the clutch pedal to pull it down, this would give analog ability to the handbrake but I would loose the option to have a clutch in the classic rally cars. It is a give and take limitation on the console.

I remember people using a DS3 on controller on Gran Turismo they would tether a stick or joystick to the DS3 analog- but unless dirt rally has given the option to use two controllers for 1 player this won't be an option. Yet I am not sure, and no idea if anyone has tried it yet.

Thing is I played Dirt 2 & 3 and WRC 3 & 4 on consoles with a DFGT and I used the sequential stick as my handbrake, yes it is only digital on off but the games seemed to smooth it out. Gran Turismo did not when I tried it, it would be instant lock not a smooth feeling. Rally games know people want to use the handbrake and most people will use a button so I think they are pretty good about it. I assume Dirt Rally is this way as well, I remember when it was new in early access the handbrake was digital only and later was given full analog.

Last edited:
Just played the first hour on the PS4 (first career rally, with the Alpine, plus some custom events with a variety of cars, including the 2010+ Mini Cooper).
Absolutely awesome in all aspects - and surprisingly not as punishingly difficult as many reviews had made it sound (some made it sound like just making it through a stage without hitting every other tree was a massive accomplishment - personally I was crashing a lot more in Sebastien Loeb Rally), even though I consider my rally sim skills mediocre at the very best.

Stages seem great (still many left to try), cars sound and feel fantastic and the game just feels very polished.

Most importantly in my current situation, controller support is sublime. I've seen many hardcore racing fans say that "you NEED a wheel for this! It's a hardcore simulation", and while a wheel is obviously always going to make for the better experience, I suspect none of those controller naysayers ever actually bothered to try playing Dirt Rally with a controller (I can't say if the PC controller support was as well implemented as for the consoles).
Precise, smooth and responsive, no twitchiness, and subtle and nuanced use of vibration, with four separate vibration strength sliders - engine, suspension etc.
I haven't tried running with ABS and traction control off yet (I have stability control disabled), but even if that turns out to be a little too much to handle with a controller, they've still done an exceptional job in this area. Even if I keep tilting the controller at the first turn after a stage start since I'm so used to motion controls in DriveClub and Project Cars :) (don't think I will necessarily miss that here, since rallying is more about constant corrections rather than smooth turning).

When you wire a handbrake to the T300 you have two options... Solder it to a button (so it is digital on/off) voiding the warranty, or you splice into the clutch pedal wire and you lose the clutch but can have an analog handbrake. Most people do the first, as a lot of console games do not read analog for the handbrake only digital. - in the grand scheme of things picking up another TH8a is not a big deal (for me). Or using it as a handbrake and using the paddles to shift is an OK compromise. Modern WRC cars actually moved to paddle shifters in some classes. I have always wanted to mod up a handbrake was thinking of going the route of a bicycle pull brake handle that would be tied to the back of the clutch pedal to pull it down, this would give analog ability to the handbrake but I would loose the option to have a clutch in the classic rally cars. It is a give and take limitation on the console.

I remember people using a DS3 on controller on Gran Turismo they would tether a stick or joystick to the DS3 analog- but unless dirt rally has given the option to use two controllers for 1 player this won't be an option. Yet I am not sure, and no idea if anyone has tried it yet.

Thing is I played Dirt 2 & 3 and WRC 3 & 4 on consoles with a DFGT and I used the sequential stick as my handbrake, yes it is only digital on off but the games seemed to smooth it out. Gran Turismo did not when I tried it, it would be instant lock not a smooth feeling. Rally games know people want to use the handbrake and most people will use a button so I think they are pretty good about it. I assume Dirt Rally is this way as well, I remember when it was new in early access the handbrake was digital only and later was given full analog.

I've done the same on DFGT wheel with GT5. When I played Gran Turismo on the controller though I used to use the right analogue stick down for the handbrake and that worked really well. I think I had the same success in Project Cars when using the DS4.

Maybe it's worth users pushing for Thrustmaster to open up it's use for consoles. It simply needs the feature to be enabled in the firmware and the setting read by DiRT Rally, Project Cars, Assetto Corsa etc on the PS4. It would definitely add something to their equipment and so much more realism for a Rally game in particular.

Last edited:
I was hoping quantum break was big enough for a midnight release so I could get this at midnight

Just played the first hour on the PS4 (first career rally, with the Alpine, plus some custom events with a variety of cars, including the 2010+ Mini Cooper).
Absolutely awesome in all aspects - and surprisingly not as punishingly difficult as many reviews had made it sound (some made it sound like just making it through a stage without hitting every other tree was a massive accomplishment - personally I was crashing a lot more in Sebastien Loeb Rally), even though I consider my rally sim skills mediocre at the very best.

Stages seem great (still many left to try), cars sound and feel fantastic and the game just feels very polished.

Most importantly in my current situation, controller support is sublime. I've seen many hardcore racing fans say that "you NEED a wheel for this! It's a hardcore simulation", and while a wheel is obviously always going to make for the better experience, I suspect none of those controller naysayers ever actually bothered to try playing Dirt Rally with a controller (I can't say if the PC controller support was as well implemented as for the consoles).
Precise, smooth and responsive, no twitchiness, and subtle and nuanced use of vibration, with four separate vibration strength sliders - engine, suspension etc.
I haven't tried running with ABS and traction control off yet (I have stability control disabled), but even if that turns out to be a little too much to handle with a controller, they've still done an exceptional job in this area. Even if I keep tilting the controller at the first turn after a stage start since I'm so used to motion controls in DriveClub and Project Cars :) (don't think I will necessarily miss that here, since rallying is more about constant corrections rather than smooth turning).

^^Is there actual difficulty settings or are you thrown straight in at legend Levels on the Career/Custom?

Can you customise pretty much everything on a custom race i.e any conditions day/rain/fog/dynamic etc?

Do you need to be online for career or is it just when required for MP.. I hope I can play some of it offline as my internet connection is playing up again :mad:

I should have it by the afternoon to test out myself :D

Last edited:
It is an awesome shifter, way better than the logitech one. Making a short shift kit for h-pattern mode (if you want) is really easy and there is a guy on here that sells nice ones too. Seth Francis is his name. I made my own which if you want to see - i wrote a crappy blog post for that can be found in my signature.

Thanks a lot. I will first mount it to my rig and then see if it suits fine. But I suspect that I also think it is too long. And I like modding :)

^^Is there actual difficulty settings or are you thrown straight in at legend Levels on the Career/Custom?

Can you customise pretty much everything on a custom race i.e any conditions day/rain/fog/dynamic etc?

Do you need to be online for career or is it just when required for MP.. I hope I can play some of it offline as my internet connection is playing up again :mad:

I should have it by the afternoon to test out myself :D
From the PC version:
- Career starts on easiest difficulty, finish in top 3 over a full rally season to open up the next difficulty. Bottom 3 and you are demoted down to a lower difficulty. Higher difficulty also means more stages per event. Remember also that when you buy a car it's usually 20% down on power and 10% too heavy, and will get better as you race it and unlock the upgrades.
- In custom championship you can set the difficulty to any which you have unlocked in normal career mode. But you choose how many events and how many stages per event (the game picks which country to go to). This mode uses only your purchased cars and you earn career cash and unlock car upgrades just like in the full career mode.
- In custom events you can race any car you like on any specific event/stage against any AI difficulty, against your own best time, or against the community delta (which I personally prefer for rally). These don't count towards your career progression.

Conditions come in a bunch of preset options per event. There will be different times of day or night, sun, cloudy, foggy, rain, snow options appropriate to the location and time of year. Dynamic isn't an option, but then stages don't last long enough for that to matter: In career mode or custom championships you don't get to select the weather so it can progress during a rally in a kind of dynamic way. In custom event you do get to choose conditions.

Not sure about online requirements.

Last edited:
Super excited for this game. I bought a GT playseat and T300 Integral Alcantara recently (was going to wait for VR or GT Sport first), but got it many months early for Dirt Rally.

Can you configure the hand brake to the clutch pedal if you have three pedals? I dont have a gear stick, so will be using flappy paddles instead.

You guys who get motion sickness what kind of monitors are you using and what is the refresh rate?

For me it makes no difference on what type of monitor / tv I am using. I watched the high quality vids on youtube. The ones Gamersyde posted and I simply get sick. There is something very disturbing in the image / gameplay. It was exactly the same when I tried the game in a store.

Last edited:
For me it makes no differents on what type of monitor / tv I am using. I watched the high quality vids on youtube. The ones Gamersyde posted and I simply get sick. There is something very disturbing in the image / gameplay. It was exactly the same when I tried the game in a store.

Sad to hear that, was hoping to continue our friendly competition.

xXJojjeXx

For me it makes no difference on what type of monitor / tv I am using. I watched the high quality vids on youtube. The ones Gamersyde posted and I simply get sick. There is something very disturbing in the image / gameplay. It was exactly the same when I tried the game in a store.

I get mild motion sickness with Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo - one of very few games in many years I've experienced that with (I used to be completely unable to play first person shooters at all when I was younger, no problem now), and one of the only racing games ever where I've had the issue. And it's not just at times with framerate drops.

I played Dirt Rally for three hours last night - cockpit and 3rd person camera - with no trace of motion sickness.

But if you've already tried the game and not just watched videos then the situation is obviously different for you. That's a shame.

I've had a quick blast but only on DS4. Already I could tell it was the best handling RALLY game we've had on console. However the handling, Force feedback (on controller) and graphics aren't as good as Project Cars. I do like it a lot though. The menus are very nicely done indeed. Sounds again are very good but generally I prefer Project Cars (that might just be a rally car thing). I have only tried a few cars. I'm only comparing with Project Cars as it's the best car game on PS4 and the only other decent sim on PS4 /and I've been playing it solidly since release. The frames per second on PS4 is pretty rock solid 60 (as is Project Cars). I'm surprised Sebastian Loeb Evo didn't target 60 frames as that makes such a big difference. I can see myself playing Dirt Rally quite a lot a while. I'm looking forward to trying those insane group B cars. It's probably the best game Codemasters have ever made (that I've played).

Wish me luck, I'm going for another blast. Wheel may come out tonight.

@skazz Appreciated but now in the club and managed to get hold of one of the 'steelbookcase editions' 👍
@MildAshers Picked it up at Sainsburys luckily I knew what I was looking for as they didn't ;)
@doblocruiser Just incase it helps there is a camera shake reduction and not as bad as any other game in motion to me (shame mate)
steelcase by torque99, on Flickr

First impressions on the Greece tour/Rallycross and Snow...Awesome..Worth the wait..:D Graphics, Audio, Handling, interior detail...Love it :bowdown::gtpflag:

D
iRT Rally_20160405110118 by torque99, on Flickr

Back