DiRT Rally Thread

I'm on a controller and have everything turned off. Reconfigured the buttons to match my Forza Motorsport 6 layout and it already feels natural.

Abs off too? It feels very different to older Dirt games anyway :/

I tried the 037 today, I can't even go straight :lol: just hit every single tree in Finland

Last edited:
Having FFB settings page that's not written by people trying to look like they know more than you and if you don't get it your just stupid "now go away console kid..."
It actually respects the people who have paid for the game, just simply telling you what stuff does and how it effects FFB.... Without trying to be some snotty elitist sneering bore.. its again very refreshing!!;)

I'm already wondering if i can use some of Dirts well written FFB settings to transfer over to a well known next gen racing game.... you know, now i know what stuff does which isn't half as complicated as that game liked to make it seem...

PS4 T300RS (no clutch/gear stick-sequential manual) I have had a while now testing the Wheel settings again and again tweaking them, (It is great you can do this in the pause menu-saves so much time) I don't know what I was doing wrong before but now it is perfect for me, A nice strong FFB on the wheel exactly when you turn in and strong pull around each crest/camber and vibration differences on tarmac and gravel.

If it helps anyone I recalibrated a few times but on the brake I didn't go 100% I think it was 87% as most of this game is just a sharp touch of the brakes, this helps a lot as you don't have to sink the brake in.

I also adjusted the self aligning torque to 120%, Wheel friction 0% and steering centre force to 100% everything else 150%.

On advanced settings my throttle saturation is 90%, Steering saturation 95%, softlock on. These adjustments made the difference for me but thanks to @skazz They really do work best on the later cars 90's 10's and flying in the dark mist (impreza) was great.👍

~~"If in doubt flat out!"- Colin McRae~~

just wondered if anyone knows, can you use all the cars in rally cross, say if you play far in and unlock stuff??

would love to try other cars in rally cross mode aswell.

This game must be ripe for many DLC's worth of new cars, its as much of a game changer on next gen consoles as PCars was. Its really showing what people have been saying for ages.... we don't actually want a bunch of stupid OTT extreme games "Whoaa Duuuude, garnly maaannnn..." American flavored tripe in racing games..just simple stripped back rawness. Dirt is the very antithesis of what Dirt 3 was... that's not to say Dirt 3 wasn't great, it was, but it really wasn't great because of all the bells and whistles and tacky crud they added in...at least not to me anyway.

Hopefully this is the way it will continue now, looking back over last few yeas its amazing how many driving games did this, Shift 2 had too much "yo bro, go go go!!" in it... I don't even think most Americans appreciated it to be honest some Americans I know found it all rather embarrassing.

Anyway, i digress... surley Codies have DLC up their sleeves for us, pretty sure they could do what SMS have done and just pump it out to a baying public..i'd buy any DLC they put out for sure..

Anyone got any XB1 controller settings? I'm having trouble with the steering being too sensitive at high speed.

This game must be ripe for many DLC's worth of new cars, its as much of a game changer on next gen consoles as PCars was. Its really showing what people have been saying for ages.... we don't actually want a bunch of stupid OTT extreme games "Whoaa Duuuude, garnly maaannnn..." American flavored tripe in racing games..just simple stripped back rawness. Dirt is the very antithesis of what Dirt 3 was... that's not to say Dirt 3 wasn't great, it was, but it really wasn't great because of all the bells and whistles and tacky crud they added in...at least not to me anyway.

Hopefully this is the way it will continue now, looking back over last few yeas its amazing how many driving games did this, Shift 2 had too much "yo bro, go go go!!" in it... I don't even think most Americans appreciated it to be honest some Americans I know found it all rather embarrassing.

Anyway, i digress... surley Codies have DLC up their sleeves for us, pretty sure they could do what SMS have done and just pump it out to a baying public..i'd buy any DLC they put out for sure..
Why do assume that Americans don't like simulators?

I know this is supposed to be a "sim" but I feel quite confident in saying it's a lot easier to keep a real rally car on the the track, especially at high speed, than it is in this game. The slightest bump or rut and the car is sideways or upside down.

I got the game yesterday on PS4. I haven't played that much of it because of work, but I'm loving it so far. The frame rate is on point, the sound is mesmerizing and the physics feel incredible with a controller. I took a VW Polo R WRC out on one of the Welsh stages and it feels so true to life its uncanny. Well, ok. A controller isn't the best way to do it, but I look back at the replay footage from the dashboard and the way the car pivots under braking and slides around corners looks so much like the real WRC onboards.

Really looking forward to getting stuck into the career mode and online events :)

Anyone know if there is much to call between the PS4 and XBone versions?

Early reports from the few that have tried both say the FFB on the XBOX one is better with the Thrustmaster TX than it is on the PS4 with the T300. - Other than that everything else is the same with only minimal (if really any) differences in graphics that you likely won't even notice.

Early reports from the few that have tried both say the FFB on the XBOX one is better with the Thrustmaster TX than it is on the PS4 with the T300. - Other than that everything else is the same with only minimal (if really any) differences in graphics that you likely won't even notice.

Thanks, I don't have a wheel for either, just a DFGT which I guess may work with the PC version but not sure I quite trust my current rig to get the best out of the game. I don't mind playing with a controller though =)

For 2000's I'd love to see the Mitsubishi Lancer and Hyundai Accent. :drool: Group A and the 2010's are the coolest by far though, just need a 90's Lancer. :D (for rivalry's sake :D)

Should I feel guilty for driving in 3rd person to enjoy the "BRRAAAAAAAPPPP!" of my Subie? :P

I always drive in third person. Until Oculus Rift etc. catches up (or the software catches up with OR) cockpit view unrealistically restricts peripheral vision in my opinion, unless you like to drive with a permanent neck brace. OK chase view perhaps gives too much of a 360 view, but in my experience is 1. Actually a little harder to make small, quick corrections and 2. Actually gives more scope for that perfect line/corner/lap once mastered. But just my two cents, and perhaps the wrong thread :)

I always drive in third person. Until Oculus Rift etc. catches up (or the software catches up with OR) cockpit view unrealistically restricts peripheral vision in my opinion, unless you like to drive with a permanent neck brace. OK chase view perhaps gives too much of a 360 view, but in my experience is 1. Actually a little harder to make small, quick corrections and 2. Actually gives more scope for that perfect line/corner/lap once mastered. But just my two cents, and perhaps the wrong thread :)
That's why a FOV adjustment or look to apex setting is great. I believe you can move the seat in DiRT Rally at least but VR will definitely go down well in a rally game.

An understated feature of the game is how it actually teaches you in real rally situations about what the pace notes mean. I was the same as you and now it just channels into my brain (for the most part) like a new language. Its amazing. :lol:
I think it's more the order of the notes than anything. The co-driver tends to call cautions very late in the sequence - for example, I might get "60 into 4 right half long, caution don't cut", but I would prefer "60 into caution 4 righy half long, don't cut" so I know that there is a hazard when I am turning in. Especially in the 1960s cars, where it's all about maintaining momentum.

Just spent an hour playing the game with my Thrustmaster T100. Holy **** I'm slow with a wheel! Something like 20-30% slower than the with DS4, with the same level of driving aids (just a little bit of ABS). Even with the force feedback dialed down a bit it took quite a bit of effort wrestling with the cars, and making corrections was more prone to catastrophic results.

Anyway, I still don't like the T100 - too many years with the much better experience of a G25. The T100 just has too low rotation, fairly crude force feedback, a low quality feel, small wheel diameter, and then there's that annoying clicking sound mine started making after only a few weeks of use (though it happens much less in Dirt Rally than in Project Cars and DriveClub), so it's going back into the closet in favor of the DS4 until I may decide to spend the money on a G29 or a Thrustmaster T300 some time in the future.

You guys should definitely watch the newly added tutorial videos. They're very informative. There's even a video for the pace notes.

Is anyone getting slight motion sickness? Im getting it from cockpit cam after about 30 mins playing....never had this in any other racing game. Whats occurring?

Back