Do you believe in God?

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 24,478 comments

Do you believe in god?

• Of course, without him nothing would exist!

Votes: 623 30.5%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 368 18.0%
  • No way!

Votes: 1,050 51.5%

• Total voters
To the contrary, it has been clearly demonstrated and established.
If it is not, then who may I ask is choosing your beliefs for you.

In the sense that you use the word "belief", I have only one belief - that I exist. Everything else is not a belief, but rather an assumption based on probability.

As I said in my previous post, this has been explained in this thread countless times. So please refrain from making the assertion that I rely on beliefs or faith to function in everyday life. It is absolutely 100% false. I will continue to call you out every time I see you making this claim.

I report from the findings of my investigation. Each person should do their own.

Ok, now please respond to my original statement.

me
Not according to you. According to you it requires the unsupported CONCLUSION that god is real. It requires BELIEF, not an investigation.

You cannot investigate a lack of evidence - and faith is not an investigation.

As with everything else each must draw their own conclusion.

You missed the point (quite deliberately I'm afraid). The point is that you have no more basis for your conclusion than they have for theirs.

I've already answered that two or three times.

Link.

As long as you can dismiss evidence to the contrary.
As pointed out the cynic will not recognize evidence, reguardless of merit.

Look. You can't have it both ways. Sorry, you just can't. I know you want to, you want to really really badly, but you can't. Ok? So you have two choices, either you get to have faith, or evidence. You do not get to have both. If you have evidence, you don't have faith. If you have faith, you can't have evidence.

Now, you MIGHT have evidence AFTER you have faith. But as soon as you have evidence you no longer have faith - and my point is about the very beginning of the process. That part where you're required to have faith (which, btw, requires an absence of evidence).

I have concluded my investigation. Again each person should do their own.

I have done an investigation (unlike you - who took a leap of faith). My investigation was performed in a much more rigorous and logical manner than your leap of faith was - and that makes it more valid. My conclusion is that your God does not exist. He is a fabrication of the imagination of human beings from a time when we thought lightning was magic. All evidence points to that. You can show me no evidence whatsoever that points to the contrary - and you (and all other Christians) admit this freely by stating that faith is required.

So a million people tell essentially the same lie about the same experience?

Lack of bloodflow to the brain - repeatable hallucinations.

Last edited:
I report from the findings of my investigation. Each person should do their own.
A while ago, I was like you. Everything in my religion was undeniable, and every facet of religious text and teaching made sense. Anything good that happened in my life, I attributed to God. The bad was obviously there for some reason and in the long run wouldn't matter. But then I began to think for myself instead of going along with the crowd. I realized that not everything made sense. Later on, I realized that a lot of things didn't make sense. I also wondered how every knew that Christianity was right. I asked myself, if I was a pagan Roman back in Christ's day, would I convert? I concluded that I would not. The only reason I was Christian in the first place was because it is a very popular religion. If I were alive 2000 years ago, I'd be worshipping Zeus because that was the thing to do. My investigation ended with this:

Does God exist? Maybe, since he's not telling us I guess it's not all that important to know for sure. And since he's not telling us, it's impossible to know if any religion is correct. The best you can do is just to be a good person.

I probably had the best chance of finding God according to you, I did as you recommended, I was open to him and full of faith. Yet I never heard him.

So a million people tell essentially the same lie about the same experience?

Highly improbable. Go figure.
Isn't that something like your opinion of other incorrect religions? And not unlike the old "facts" of the Earth being flat, the gods of Olympus being real and occasionally encountering people along with other mythic creatures? The alien abduction case was already covered too.

So if it happens one way, it's evidence. If it happens the other way, it's not. See a problem?

No, not really. Why isn't it evidence since it happened...period. TM asked for "tangible evidence that can be demonstrated to a skeptical third party or even a single example of a proven incidence of divine intervention"

Man lays dead at scene for 90 minutes. EMTs pronounced him dead, said he died instantly in the horrendous head on collision at 11:45AM. No care given. They checked him again at 1:15 PM. Still dead. A minister waiting in the stopped traffic walks to scene, to see if he could assist, he was a medic in Viet Nam. He's told the guy in the car under the tarp is dead. But he feels led to pray for the guy, even though praying for a dead man ran counter to his theology. His BRAIN said not to do it but his SPIRIT told him to pray for the man. He climed in the car and did.

Man comes back to life. Gives testimony.

Seems tangible to me. Tell me this, how is divine intervention proved to you?

I think there are a lot of people who can be reasoned into believing in a god. There are a disturbingly amount of sophisms out there to prove intelligent design. Easily picked up errors of thoughts, non-science, a-science, pseudo-science. Just a lot of illogical thoughts and findings. Simple.

You know what scares me? One day waking up to having "faith" or belief in supernatural phenomena. Suddenly having a chemical unbalance in my brain, or loss of rationality.

How else can we explain that intelligent people suddenly accept illogical reasoning? It's purely psychological. That or naivity.

So yes that scares me. Thank you for listening. 👍

Man comes back to life. Gives testimony.

Seems tangible to me.

And if the man came back to life without prayer?

The thing is, as far as anyone knows, the prayer had no effect. The man's recovery after the prayer was most likely coincidence. How can I say that? Doesn't it sound too improbable? No, because since some prayers go unanswered in an unpredictable fashion, you can't count on a prayer doing anything. You also can't conclude that some outcome was the result of the prayer.

What this revival story really says is that science doesn't know everything about life/death at the present time. In other words you can't really rule out that the man wasn't actually "dead" (in quotes because actual death may differ from the medically accepted definition), or was conditioned to be revived. To this, one might say: "well, in that case no one can rule out God as the cause for X". That's true, but the former (non perfect understanding of health/medicine) is much more probable based on human experience. ie, there have been many cases of strange occurrences that were once not understood being solved by advancements in medicine. Meanwhile, God has never come out of the clouds (metaphorically speaking) and announced a list of things he's done. I expect someone to respond with something like, "The Bible is God coming out of the clouds", but that's been discussed already, I believe.

Or maybe, just maybe, the guy had a really slow pulse which they didn't pick up. Paramedics aren't always 100% accurate. In fact, I know of several instances of paramedics getting it wrong from stories of a mate who was a paramedic for 25 years. Also, if he did intervene, why only in that one? Why not intervene when that woman got murdered for her baby the other day?

If God does exist, he is the cruellest bastard around.

I feel this is like talking to a brick wall, though.

I do not believe in God. I've got a pretty good idea why not as well.

I was a sickly child who spent more time at home being taught by my parents that I did in Primary School, but I was there often enough and for long enough to see what happened to 4 to 7 year olds, at least when I was that age. Bible stories every day. Prayers every day. Assembly twice a week with more bible stories, prayers and hymns. In later life I came to recognise this for what is is. Brain washing.

What someone has a near death occurrence and claims God saved them, as far as I'm concerned they are just falling back on that brain washed conditioning.

The thing is, as far as anyone knows, the prayer had no effect
Exactly. To be fair to Skynyrd1977, it is perhaps understandable why people believe in the power of prayer in cases like these (such as they are) where alternate rational explanations are thin on the ground. However, in the case of Near Death Experiences generally, there is plenty of reason to believe that what is happening is perfectly explicable in terms of the non-supernatural. As Danoff says, NDEs are not unique to people who are actually dying. Fighter pilots who experience extreme G report very similar things, as do people with psychiatric disorders. Tellingly, some people who simply believe they are dying (but actually are not) also report similar things.

Although I fully accept that NDEs are real, and that the unusual phenomena people report are generally accurate (i.e. people really do see a tunnel of light, or see visions of their childhood etc.), most (if not all) also have possible/likely rational explanations, but I reckon that these phenomena are attributed a special significance that is probably undeserved, much like reading too much into one's own dreams. Despite the fact that NDEs tend to share common features, it is also a fact that individual reports vary widely from person to person, and even (indeed often) include visions of family members and circumstances unique to that person's history (even in the case of Don Piper himself). This strongly suggests that NDEs have their origin in the minds and memories of the individual concerned, as opposed to the idea that what they are experiencing is a whole new 'spiritual realm' wholly independent of their physical existence.

I don't think that it is a coincidence that people report similar things after an NDE, but I also don't think that it is just "common memes" either. The 'tunnel of light' idea may well be a common meme (it definitely is) - but I think there is a reason why this meme has come about, because it is based on what actually happens to alot of people when they have an NDE. And because NDEs are (by definition) associated with dying, it has become interpreted (albeit wrongly) as what 'ascending to Heaven' looks like in first-person mode.

However, after listening to Don Piper's testimony on what 'Heaven' (or atleast the meet-and-greet entrance to Heaven) is like, one can't help but think that his experience is a mixture of actual experience (i.e. phenomena linked to an actual NDE) and pre-conceived memes.. indeed his description of Heaven is strikingly unoriginal (with many familiar memes, even to an atheist) but also strangely vague at the same time. Don Piper's conviction that "Heaven is real" is apparently based on his claim to have "been there". However, he also states "Hell is just as real as Heaven", despite the fact that he hasn't been to Hell (or atleast he has never mentioned it if he has). This statement alone calls into question what he defines as "real" or atleast how he comes to the conclusion that something is real. I would venture the guess that he was probably already convinced that heaven and hell are "real" places before he had his NDE and 'saw Heaven for himself'. His claim that Hell is real too - but without the first-hand experience of it - supports this view.

Does God exist? Maybe, since he's not telling us I guess it's not all that important to know for sure.
Good way of putting it, and it is kind of how I feel. Far from being "cynical" or so close-minded that I wouldn't recognise God even if I saw him, I consider myself very open to the idea that God might exist - indeed, my threshold of proof is very low - so low infact that the only reasonable explanation I can come up with for why I have not been shown one single piece of proof is that he/it really doesn't exist. As I've said before, it wouldn't take much to convince me. But as SuperCobraJet is alluding to, it seems that holding a 'belief system' that is rooted in rationality, reason, and the scientific method (i.e. hypothesis testing and evidence-based conclusion-building) is enough to have your name deleted from God's Rolodex.

Last edited:
God is clearly working miracles again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8180116.stm
A US jury has found a man guilty of killing his sick 11-year-old daughter by praying for her recovery rather than seeking medical care.

The man, Dale Neumann, told a court in the state of Wisconsin he believed God could heal his daughter.

She died of a treatable disease - undiagnosed diabetes - at home in rural Wisconsin in March last year, as people surrounded her and prayed.

Neumann's wife, Leilani Neumann, was convicted earlier this year.

The couple, who were both convicted of second-degree reckless homicide, face up to 25 years in prison when they are sentenced in October.

A lawyer representing Dale Neumann said he would appeal.

'Faith healing'

During the trial, medical experts told the court that Neumann's daughter could have survived if she had received treatment, including insulin and fluids, before she stopped breathing.

On Thursday Neumann, who is 47 and studied in the past to be a Pentecostal minister, said he thought God would heal his daughter.

"If I go to the doctor, I am putting the doctor before God," he said. "I am not believing what he said he would do."

He also said he thought his daughter had had flu or a fever, and that he had not realised how ill she was.

Neumann's lawyer said he had been convinced that his "faith healing" was working, and that he had committed no crime.

The prosecution argued that Neumann had minimised his daughter's illness and that he had allowed her to die as a selfish act of faith.

They said the girl should have been taken to hospital because she was unable to walk, talk, eat or drink.

Instead, an ambulance was only called once the girl had stopped breathing.

People like this are dangerous to society and should be locked up for life.

I also had to laugh at one of the Roman Catholic archbishops criticising social networking websites and text messaging for "dehumanising" communities. It's really your kiddy fiddling friends that do that, isn't it? Also, he impressively managed to link it to suicide.

"If I go to the doctor, I am putting the doctor before God," he said. "I am not believing what he said he would do."

Now, I don't believe in God in the slightest, but if I did I'm sure the more sensible approach to take would be that if God has created every living soul on this earth, perhaps he entrusts his healing powers to some of those people rather than doing it from above? You aren't displaying a lack of faith by taking your daughter to a doctor, you're displaying faith that one of his servants will heal her on behalf of God.

Anyone who does believe in God want to back this view up? Or is this not the way believers think?...

Now, I don't believe in God in the slightest, but if I did I'm sure the more sensible approach to take would be that if God has created every living soul on this earth, perhaps he entrusts his healing powers to some of those people rather than doing it from above? You aren't displaying a lack of faith by taking your daughter to a doctor, you're displaying faith that one of his servants will heal her on behalf of God.

Anyone who does believe in God want to back this view up? Or is this not the way believers think?...

Yes, I believe you are correct.
I personally believe that holding out for him to move in a dire situation and not taking any prudent precautionary action is a decision reserved only for ones self. (Even then it may be foolish, but I think it is the individuals to make).Even then someone close to you may intervene on your behalf and I guess you couldn't blame them, since you very likely would do the same thing.

On serious conditions involving others, I believe you must act to employ whatever expertise is available. As you say, I do not believe this is a slight to faith in any way, and that services are available to assist the process not hinder it.

Concerning this, the following maybe the only thing Duke and I have agreed on:

It's complicated.

i thought that story about that guy letting his child die was absolutely disgusting, it takes a very long time of suffering to die from diabetes, fortunate the victim goes into a coma but still, glucose levels multiple times over normal rates, blood turns acidic, substantial dehydration, swelling and eventual herniation of the brain possibly too...

and all because he had been misinformed, misguided what this god is. i think there is room for much greater understanding if people realised god is not a 'he', a puppeteer, or any kind of physically relative object. i know dumbing it down into layman terms to spread the word might have helped explain but its really gotten out of hand, making certain chinese-whispers believers sound like wackos and alienating any potential new followers to reject much more readily.

Why the hell did you create this thread? Who doesn't believe in God? I will always believe in God. Who doesn't believe in God is OUT OF LINE!!!!!!!

Apparently, 46.83% of people who've voted in the poll don't believe in God. So plenty of people.

As to why the thread was created, I think "freedom of expression" is partly behind it. Isn't that a fairly major part of your constitution?

Why the hell did you create this thread? Who doesn't believe in God? I will always believe in God. Who doesn't believe in God is OUT OF LINE!!!!!!!

If you read through this thread there are a lot of people who don't believe in God. Also I think if you look at world statistics you'll see many other people out there think the same way.

As to why this thread was created? It was created for members to talk about the existence or non-existence of God and other supernatural entities.

I think you may need to re-examine your view of the world. There are many people out there that do not believe in God, especially in the Judeo-Christian sense. It's cool to have your own beliefs, but you also need to realise there are conflicting views out there.

Out of whose line?

Thank you for your contribution. Now, go back and read all 1275+ posts and 64 pages, most of which are relatively intelligently posted on both sides of the fence. Then perhaps you might have the smallest amount of understanding for a viewpoint other than your own.

Out of whose line?

Thank you for your contribution. Now, go back and read all 1275+ posts and 64 pages, most of which are relatively intelligently posted on both sides of the fence. Then perhaps you might have the smallest amount of understanding for a viewpoint other than your own.

Hey, I feel like making some of my posts, like it was one of the first posts on the thread.

It's a bit too late for that.

Now your sounding like Duke. Not another one:rolleyes:

I just think that it is ridiculous for people not to believe in god.
Hey Duke and Road_Dogg33J, do you believe in God?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Duke and Road_Dogg33J, do you believe in God?

If you read the thread you will find out, even just the last couple of pages, though I don't answer the question directly.

I think it's ridiculous for people to believe in a god. Oh no! Stalemate!

Do yourself, and the rest of us on both sides of the discussion, a favour and read through the thread first. If you're just going to throw comments at the screen with reference to the rest of the thread it won't help anyone.

Tip: Before you post in a thread, READ IT. Specially one that goes around a question like this one. OK?

Oh, and
I just think that it is ridiculous for people to believe in god.

Has that pissed you off? Because I was imitating you. Grow up.

He actually PM'd me an answer.

You said, Why is it ridiculous for people to not believe in a god/God/gods?

Because you say so?

If there was no God, we would not be here.

I'm private messaging you because if I post on that thread again, no matter what I say, I might get a second infraction from a moderator, just for saying my true feelings about God.

I think taking the route of saying "a supernatural being placed us on Earth" is a cop out when dealing with the question of why are humans here. It seems to generate more unexplainable questions then it actually answers. Just some off the top of my head.

- Who or what created the supernatural being?
- What supernatural being actually created us?
- Which story of creation is correct?
- Why did it create us?
- Did it create any other sentient beings in the universe?

The list goes on. I'm not going to rule out that a supernatural being created humans, but I'm also not going to say that it's the leading theory. Occam's Razor pretty much puts a kibosh on that.

He really hasn't read any of this thread has he.:rolleyes:

Also, at work today a man collapsed in the parking lot and God was nowhere to be found. Thankfully some lady saw him and alerted an employee.

He actually PM'd me an answer.

He really could have done with reading the thread.

If you are reading eric, don't be worried about getting infractions from joining in with a debate. We've been going on for 65 pages now and for the most part the debate has been intelligent and fairly amicable from both sides. I'd be most surprised if any posts in this thread have resulted in the poster receiving an infraction from a moderator.

We do prefer though that if you come into a debate with an opinion, you should at least be able to back it up with something reasonably substantial. The PM you sent to Rotary Junkie isn't what I'd call substantial - and if you'd had a good scan through the thread you'd have seen already that the view "without God, we wouldn't be here" doesn't hold much water with those of us sitting on the other side of the fence...

I am sorry everyone about my posts that seems to have made you mad at me. I did not know I was going to offend you. I was feeling a bit mad at some of you at the moment for saying your comments to me which I took a little bit too serious. I did not mean that to happen. I should have just voted in the poll, or not have done anything in this thread. Once again, I apologize to all of you.

Back