Do you believe in God?

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 24,478 comments

Do you believe in god?

• Of course, without him nothing would exist!

Votes: 623 30.5%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 368 18.0%
  • No way!

Votes: 1,050 51.5%

• Total voters
I specifically said that things can't come from nowhere, so we can't come from nowhere. We don't just appear here. There's no possible way. Hell, if that was the case, I could make all the money I need appear right in front of my face.

And the point is, how do you know things can't come from nowhere?

*facepalm*

I said that we can't come from nowhere, so someone put us here. God put us here.

Exactly... and where did god get us from? Nowhere. God made us out of? Nothing.

Atheism on the otherhand doesn't think we randomly appeared. So since you also don't think that, you must be an atheist.

Exactly... and where did god get us from? Nowhere. God made us out of? Nothing.

Atheism on the otherhand doesn't think we randomly appeared. So since you also don't think that, you must be an atheist.

Um... I'm pretty sure God made us out of something.

Also, I'm not an atheist, because:

I BELIEVE IN GOD.

Um... I'm pretty sure God made us out of something.

What? What is that something?

God created all matter in the universe right? He created us all from nothing, from nowhere. Exactly what you said couldn't happen. You said:

you
I specifically said that things can't come from nowhere, so we can't come from nowhere.

...and yet that's exactly what God did with the entire everything in the universe. Atheism, on the otherhand, doesn't think we came from nothing. You're an atheist, it's clear from your quote. You're certainly no Christian. Otherwise you wouldn't be defying Genesis with your sacrilegious claims that we didn't come from nothing.

You also said you believe that nothing comes from nowhere. So where, by your logic, did God come from?

Well, I believe that God was always here.

What? What is that something?

God created all matter in the universe right? He created us all from nothing, from nowhere. Exactly what you said couldn't happen. You said:

...and yet that's exactly what God did with the entire everything in the universe. Atheism, on the otherhand, doesn't think we came from nothing. You're an atheist, it's clear from your quote. You're certainly no Christian. Otherwise you wouldn't be defying Genesis with your sacrilegious claims that we didn't come from nothing.

Whatever. :rolleyes:

Who ever said we appeared here out of nowhere?

Apart from theists..

Um... Maybe people who don't believe in God.

I believe in God. But I'm not one of those physco-Christians out there who force their views on other people. I will respect your beliefs as long as you respect mine. And another thing, why do people always get so pissy with christians, who force their views on them, when there's radical Islam in the middle east who will behead you if you think different?
Yes, I agree some Christians need to stop. But when people always judge Christians for their faith, but turn a blind eye for Radical Islam, I think that's just ridiculous. ^^

And everyone here is missing every point I make.
Maybe because your "points" don't hold water. You claim that nothing comes from nowhere yet "God was always there". If you applied the same common sense, by which you came to the "nothing comes from nowhere" conclusion, to that, you'd see why "everyone here is missing every point you make".

Oh. I don't know. Common sense maybe. :rolleyes:

Still don't see how you know that things can't appear from nowhere, common sense doesn't exactly help much. Unless you're saying that common sense means you not only know everything there is to know in the observable universe, but the whole of reality, which I doubt.

This is where you start to lose me.

I asked before how you could tell if something is spiritual or physical. You said that only the Bible defines what is spiritual.

Now you're telling me that if one becomes a Christian, then that makes one spiritual as well.

These two go together. The Bible defines the spiritual and the Holyspirit testafies to the same and can help with comprehending it. The Holy spirit, among other things is a teacher.

I think this is something that you haven't really given considerable thought to. I think that you're using emotion and what you've been told by others to judge whether something is spiritual, not any rational or objective judgement.

To the contrary, I've given it ample amounts of considerable thought, rationale, and objective judgement.
About 40 yrs. worth. As a matter of fact, it wasn't until I finally realized that initially, it had little to do with those,
that I began to make progress in understanding it. I know that sounds contradictory, but true nonetheless.
I compare it to being married those first few years, and you are trying to comprehend intellectually, how this thing works, but somehow it just comes up short.

At any rate, emotion can be affected by it, but it is not the source.

If this is not true, please go ahead and explain to me what spirituality is, or what makes something that is spiritual different from something that is not spiritual. The closest you've come is "it's not physical", which is not really that helpful.

Defining something as not something else only works if those are the only two possibilities. For example, I can't explain to you what red is by saying "it's not blue". That's just not helpful.

And in a similar fashion, I suspect what I would think when I use the word "physical" is not what you mean when you say it. If you want to define spirituality relative to physicality, you'll want to be clear about what you actually mean by "physical", which is why it would be much easier to just talk about spirituality directly. For example, "It's the animating force behind humanity that gives them free will and consciousness", or "It's something that has been in direct contact with the divine power and has retained communication with that power". These are completely made up on my part and likely nothing like what you believe, but I use them as an example of how one can describe such things.

For someone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, you defined it pretty well.
The physical or carnal which maybe a better term, is the body, mind, emotions, intellect, psyche, reasonings, philosophy, logic, desires, senses etc.

"It's the animating force behind humanity that gives them free will and consciousness"
I think this could be used as a description of the personal spirit.

And this one could be used to describe the Holy Spirit.
"It's something that has been in direct contact with the divine power and has retained communication with that power".

Let me digress a little. Atheists; what do you think happens after we die? I don't know about you, but turning into nothingness isn't the most pleasant thought.

Um... I'm pretty sure God made us out of something

OK, let's grant for a minute that God did it. What did God make that "something" out of?

I assume you're sticking with "something" as the thing that "something" was made out of. Fair enough, I applaud your willingness to go with "I don't know."

So, what was the something made out of something made of?

And what was the something made out of something made out of something made of?

And what was the something made out of something made out of something made out of something made of?

And what was the something made out of something made out of something made out of something made out of something made of?

And what was the something made out of something made out of something made out of something made out of something made out of something made of?

And what was the something made out of something made out of something made out of something made out of something made out of something made out of something made of?

And what was the something made out of something made out of something made out of something made out of something made out of something made out of something made out of something made of?

Of course, the obvious, and most oft-provided solution is that at one point, there was indeed nothing. God created the first batch of something that begat all future batches of something.

OK, who made God?

Who made the God that made God?

I'm sure you see where that is headed...

The physical or carnal which maybe a better term, is the body, mind, emotions, intellect, psyche, reasonings, philosophy, logic, desires, senses etc.

"It's the animating force behind humanity that gives them free will and consciousness"
I think this could be used as a description of the personal spirit.

So the personal spirit is the mind, emotions, intellect, psyche, reasonings, philosophy, logic, desires, etc. Right? Because that's what gives you consciousness and free will.

Let me digress a little. Atheists; what do you think happens after we die? I don't know about you, but turning into nothingness isn't the most pleasant thought.

We've all experienced it. We've all been dead. We were all dead for billions of years prior to being born. For most of what we know of as time, you were dead, as was I. It's not that bad to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've all experienced it. We've all been dead. We were all dead for billions of years prior to being born. For most of what we know of as time, you were dead, as was I. It's not that bad to be honest.
So prior to being born, we were dead?
How are you sure of that?
Are you any more sure than the idea of there being an afterlife?
So basically you're saying that all your emotions, experiences, memories just goes down the drain when you die?
Like I said before - not the most pleasant thought.

I know it's not a pleasant thought, I've dealt with it myself. But is the Christian system, in which unbelievers, no matter how good they are, get thrown into hell while pedopriests are forgiven and brought to heaven, that much better?

Because of the after-death questions, I'm not a complete atheist and prefer to keep my options open, but one thing's for sure, organized religion will never be my cup of tea. I can see through them, they like to instill false hope into any followers they can gather while milking money from them as well.

Back