Driver crashes 458 trying to overtake car.

• Thread starter Grayfox
  • 38 comments
Justin
While I do agree that the U.S. tests need to be overhauled, it's much easier to have strict tests when you live in a country with only 5.5 million people.

Very true.

And how many years and stages in the test till you get your full drivers license?

About 5 years in Australia.

Learners was 6 months when I did it but it has changed to 1 year now I think.
Provisional 1(Red P) think this is 1.5 years
Provisional 2(Green P) this is 2 years
Gold/Magenta Full License.

Besides this is not a world like the 5th Element where you have to insert a license for the car to work, you could steal one and crash it with no driving skill.

There is no elected official anywhere in the United States stupid enough to say, "You know, you people are idiots when it comes to driving! It ought to actually be a challenge to get a license, and actually learn how that thing works before we let you run lose on the highways."

Personally, I think Solo II autocrossing for 2 years should be required before getting a license. Problem is, you have to be a licensed driver to enter an autocross. But it will teach you to drive!

Well first you get your permit when you are 15 after taking a written/computer test. Then a driving test that basically the bare minimum of the basic driving techniques.

Then you wait one year with your permit then you get your drivers license after taking another extremely easy (basic left and right turn on a four way. Obeying speed limit and stop signs. Then a three point turn. Then in some states a parallel park).

I know the Finland driving test is extremely hard and you have to pass every part of the test to pass. I mean far as I have read the test over there is hard and they do some crazy but logical things to teach you car control

No, that depends on the state. In New York you must be at least 16 to even think about your permit test. You are then issued a learners permit, of which you cannot drive after certain hours of the day. You must take a 5 hour course teaching skills etc. You must complete 50 hours of parental/guardian signed off experience hours behind the wheel, the must be with you, 9 of which have to be at night. You have to have your permit for a minimum of 6 months before you can get your juniors license, of which you can only have a max of 3 people in the car at a time and time limits remain. When you are 18 you can qualify for your full time license, but you can get it earlier if you take Drivers Ed etc. Think I missed a few things but that's the gist of it.

Slashfan
No, that depends on the state. In New York you must be at least 16 to even think about your permit test. You are then issued a learners permit, of which you cannot drive after certain hours of the day. You must take a 5 hour course teaching skills etc. You must complete 50 hours of parental/guardian signed off experience hours behind the wheel, the must be with you, 9 of which have to be at night. You have to have your permit for a minimum of 6 months before you can get your juniors license, of which you can only have a max of 3 people in the car at a time and time limits remain. When you are 18 you can qualify for your full time license, but you can get it earlier if you take Drivers Ed etc. Think I missed a few things but that's the gist of it.

Yeah i know it depends on the state. And yeah that's still isn't enough in my opinion.

Yeah i know it depends on the state. And yeah that's still isn't enough in my opinion.

While it may not be, most people don't want to go through even that much hassle...Most of my friends are elegible to drive and most don't. I think of all the sophomores, juniors and seniors that can drive, which is a large number, maybe 4 do.

Back