eiriksmil's cars

• Thread starter eiriksmil
  • 378 comments
Another drive with the GTti, another fun day. Of course something else broke and something else showed up not working. Kinda why you try them out a little in the start :) Apparently the alternator isn't working, had to leave the car to fetch another (why you never go alone on such a trip), the throttle cable is awful (been ghetto repaired by PO), it pops out of 4th gear and the turn signals don't work. Probably the column stalk. Gotta look into the transmission problem.

My buddy I share the lock up with got his car out for the first time in years too, together on the road at last :)
10126481913_24974fb9cd_b.jpg

10105431825_d056c1bc5d_b.jpg

It's been some eventful weeks. Short story, had my GTti state inspected, failed. We're getting there though, but the gearbox seems shot so that must be looked into. Speaking of 'boxes, Funcargo gearbox went out at exactly 121k. A little early but what can you do..

Tonight I've been making the Beetle ready for a large indoor show.. Almost ready now, well it's 0:30am so it better be. I'll be dumping some high res pics after the weekend, here's a ****** cell pic for now:
20131024_225121.jpg

Awesome Beetle. Once again, I miss a few updates in this thread and you seem to have half a dozen more cars. Since when have you had a car in Cyprus?!

That Beetle is in amazingly good condition. I generally find it hard to get excited about them, but that one is incredible. :drool: Great work!

Awesome Beetle. Once again, I miss a few updates in this thread and you seem to have half a dozen more cars. Since when have you had a car in Cyprus?!

Haha, I sometimes have trouble keeping up myself :) Thanks man. The car in Cyprus I've had for about five years. Haven't really posted up a lot since it's so beat and I only drive it three weeks a yea
. This summer I made it a little less beat though. Having said that, the roof is rusty, the dash is cracked and the carpet is toast. It was free and I apart from suspension top mounts and a fuel line last year I less than £100 into it apart from gas over five years.. :) I'd like an 80s mini truck down there, but the modding bug would bite harder than I'd like.. The Colt is just perfect on the function/form scale right now for what I need/want :)

That Beetle is in amazingly good condition. I generally find it hard to get excited about them, but that one is incredible. :drool: Great work!

Thanks man..! It's all original down to the paint, no rust, 40k miles. My grandpa basically told me to clear my garage for it.. Future plans; take as good care of it as grandpa did and keep it around for another 55 years :)

Got the daily back with a replacement gearbox and new clutch. I keep stalling it all the time.. Last picture with the Rotiforms
IMG_3991.jpg

With the wheels off I could start tooling with the red parts car.. :)
1467366_650392198334830_1985409126_n.jpg

1001270_650552981652085_1265506939_n.jpg

Crammed the fronts on barely.. Wheels and coilovers going on my GTti next year :)

Thanks man..! Means a lot to me, keeps me motivated :cool: Today's story; white low car is low. Pulled into a drive and realised that was a bad idea a little too late lol.. Backing out I kinda tore the exhaust off a little :banghead: Oh well..

Brought the Turbo home today. Most probably blown head gasket, possibly blown turbo and definitively blown alternator. The 100 miles home were a breeze.. :)
20131124_134044.jpg

Haha.. On my way. Seriously though, it hit me that I've crossed paths with a fair lot over the years as I drove the Turbo home..

Alright, wrap time.. Gotta keep all of us in check of how things look, a status report if you wanna call it that, myself included!
Funcargo daily that I've said will be parked when I hit 250k miles. Until then, it hauls ass and gets around! :)
9931659305_ebc96b6def_b.jpg

9542456183_e71d322b74_b.jpg

96 Golf winter beater that I intend to keep a couple of winters more, rotten and super low:
11037934084_607592d073_b.jpg

9185676433_b4008015ed_b.jpg

93 Golf summer-only fun car, for sale (funds going into classic 911 ownership I guess). Considering throwing some bits (interior and lightning mainly) at the white car, parking this until I get my bachelor done and throwing a 20v in it. Or sell it bone stock, I'm leaning towards that. This was some years ago but a good day.. :)
IMG061-2.jpg

Future Sunday driver, because of tax regulations registration will happen in two years. Auto, cammed, low, 70k miles:
8472287158_af6f50675a_b.jpg

One Sunday a year-car, 40k miles all original '59:
bb_142166.jpeg

Project Charade GTti, soon done.. Spent the past year getting it in good condition, now to connect the remaining dots.. Plans are well under way for at least 140 bhp, if I find the ECU I'd like the goal is 180-200bhp, coilovers and some wheels.. I think it's gonna be a fun car to say the least :)
10126481913_24974fb9cd_b.jpg

A slow part-out/mock-up car.. It may meet its maker son or it may not, maybe a future build with some space frame action. '93 (I think?) with more rust than you'd ever dream of:
1001270_650552981652085_1265506939_n.jpg

The new '89 Turbo, I may flip it.. A buddy of mine may want it depending on condition. I may part it, my GTti needs a gearbox..
07_1131935276.jpg

Sunday driver '81 Charade G10, 75k miles (I think), two-speed auto, classic/youngtimer status.
9232604868_943ff2095a_b.jpg

'91 Mitsu Colt holiday beater
IMG_3833.jpg

And some past cars in somewhat chronological order :)

'91 Charade, I was 15 and way over my head in work.. :)
RIMG0152-2.jpg

'93 Charade 16v
IMG058-1.jpg

'88 Benz 300D ex daily sled, had 312k on the (dead) odo when I sold it..
IMG104-3.jpg

'94 or something roof-chopped awful Ford.. Hoonigan-ism at its best. Broke even, no biggie.
IMG005-1.jpg

'82 KE70, this was a legendary car.. At 200k miles it burned oil like hell, the rear diff. was making all sorts of noises, all panels were beat, the trunk floor was gone, front frame rail was bent and the frame rail/suspension base cracked when it put its junk wheels on.. Damn I miss that car..
IMG008-2.jpg

DSC_0157-2.jpg

Another KE70
img084-2.jpg

'77 Cressida that had a lot of hidden rust, was a fun driver for a while until I sold it.. :)
22012011465.jpg

'88 Hardbody D21 that had 260k miles on it at the end. Beat but a good hoon and workhorse
IMG037-2-2.jpg

I may have forgotten some.. Yes I forgot this which is understandable.. Clean enough '96 Corolla hatch, only mod I ever did was US corner lamps.. It was hit, repaired and sold. Made a good chunk on it.. Still see it from time to time :) It will probably outlive the most of us..
IMG173-2.jpg

I think that should be all though. Equals ten current cars where three are registered as regular cars, two are classics, one is on the road in Cyprus and at least two have a very insecure future.. I'm sure you understand the logic behind a lot of these cars, if you want an explanation here it goes. Some are bought for parts, some as bought as drivers. Sometimes they come out worse than expected, sometimes better. I have a place to keep my cars, as long as they are not insured and registered it doesn't matter if I have one or six cars standing there. Sometimes they're just as bad as they look; the truly haggered cars (D21, Cressida, red 16v Charade etc) have been bad from a mile away, alas they have been dirt cheap, the red Charade I've already made money on considering the yard return has doubled since I bought it. The GTti and G10 have both been bought to not fall into the wrong hands or be crushed, I got them cheap as well and both have turned out very nicely. The GTti continues the saga the blue 16v started. The red Turbo we picked up today, if I flip it or part it, it doesn't really matter, of the three options the dumbest would've been to let it get picked up by someone else at the price I paid. The two older VWs makes my life complete lol.

As long as you have the resources (a place, dough, motivation, friends who can wrench and help out and time, although time is not my friend) and patience there is no problem doing what I do. I understand some question my choices, I get the question all the time why I don't just buy one car and keep it nice. Well, if you want one car to keep nice and you also use it as a daily, it's not going to be super nice anymore, two things that don't compute. So you need one daily and one fun car. I'm not about owning one show quality car that I have to be super anal about (although both the Beetle and the Golf Mk2 fall into that category) that you can also enjoy cruising with, because those are also hard to combine. All my cars are constantly fettled with, improved slowly and surely.. Just hang in there with me lol.. :)

Last edited:
Totally understand how you go about it - it's exactly the reason I felt like I needed two cars for a while, one to keep nice and one a project. But unfortunately for me I wound up with nice dailies and a not-so-nice project, so I did it the wrong way around. Now I have zero cars :lol:

Luckily in a position where I can get by with just an occasional fun car now. Won't be a Charade though, apparently there's some guy in Norway who owns them all...

Cool post eirik - just goes to show, a proper motorhead doesn't care what badge is on the front, he obtains enjoyment from everything 👍.

Totally understand how you go about it - it's exactly the reason I felt like I needed two cars for a while, one to keep nice and one a project. But unfortunately for me I wound up with nice dailies and a not-so-nice project, so I did it the wrong way around. Now I have zero cars :lol:

Luckily in a position where I can get by with just an occasional fun car now. Won't be a Charade though, apparently there's some guy in Norway who owns them all...

I've put 60k miles on the Funcargo over the past three years and it's a van that gets loaded up more often than not. A very good daily in my eyes, as long as I keep the rust away and do oil changes it doesn't need much.. Some touch ups here and there and make it a lil nicer all around but not overdo it.. :) Haha, the good part is that if you'd like a lhd Charade, you'd know who to talk to lol ;)

Cool post eirik - just goes to show, a proper motorhead doesn't care what badge is on the front, he obtains enjoyment from everything 👍.

I'm open for all cars really, most cars have potential in some way or another. There are a few cars I just can't stand and some cars I love but would never own (B6 S4, I love em but I don't like chain tensioners and conrol arms described as a 'service item' :)). Even though some of the cars I've had aren't really exciting, I find some enjoyment in my G10 for instance. It's got soul, unlike the Corolla E10 which was just a really boring appliance. Some cars on my future wish list is a late 70s/early 80s 911 and a Merc GLK as a daily when the Funcargo only becomes fun. Atleast not before I'm done with my bachelor degree :)

Dude wtf. I didn't even know you have a Beetle. That thing is MINT :0

Haha, it is indeed. Grandpa basically told me to clear my garage for it some five-six years ago, but I wanted some experience with older cars before taking care of this one. He got ill this year (and sadly passed a month ago) so it was a natural time to 'take delivery'. Also, another good thing about having a lot of cars is that the Beetle won't be touched in any way other than maintainence, because I have other cars to wrench on and/or modify and have no desire to ruin the Beetle's originality.. :)

Glad you guys like what I'm doing.. Makes it fun to share and keep on doing what I do ;)

Golf + VR-lip = daring

11872914703_d20ae03dee_b.jpg

11872911953_4064f221cc_b.jpg

Also picked up a Golf mk1 two-spoke Wolfsburg steering wheel for my Mk2..
11878454563_a855faeaf9_b.jpg

Aaaand I may part out my red Mk3 to fund a Mk1 swallowtail rolling chassis and project..

Daily winter duties..
20140117_004702.jpg

One side of the VR lip ended up under the car, I dragged it for about 10 miles.. It's a little slow around here these days, but expect new Funcargo exhaust and some mk3 work in the near future.. :)

DUDE!!!!!

Epic page!

Did your mk3 fog lights got stolen. I know that problem :D They get stolen so often, people don't even care anymore and drive without them... :lol:

Haha, thanks man..! :)

My fog dummies are non oem/non Hella and of bad quality.. The small clipses that hold the dummies in place break and the dummies fly out.. Buy cheap, buy twice.. :)

It's not a conspiracy that the garage contains two white cars and three red right now.. :D
IMG_4239.jpg

Got the VR lip back on with five zip ties from the inside:
IMG_4237.jpg

Also found some lower grills and vent covers to put on.. Note I lack four of them in the picture last posted.
IMG_4245.jpg

I still need to find a set of dummies.. Someday :)

Awesome collection! :D

Would you say these daihatsus are pretty reliable? Ive been thinking of buying a charade but dont know much about the brand..
Love the golfs btw :P

I'm loving the old KE70. My friend has had one for 12+ years. He has just finished installing a blacktop 4A-GE from an AE111 Levin, has extractors and a rally style open trumpet filter over 50mm long trumpets. Last weekend he put in an AE86 disc rear end with a TRD LSD and whiteline swaybar. He went from a 3.9 diff to a 4.3. It's much more responsive now and leaves 2 black lines on the track instead of one. It's quite exciting to drive even with the old Corona 3.9 open diff.

Bc4
Awesome collection! :D

Would you say these daihatsus are pretty reliable? Ive been thinking of buying a charade but dont know much about the brand..
Love the golfs btw :P

Haha thanks man! Appreciate the kind words. From now on the collection will stay like it is with some modifications, I've started parting out the red Golf and will flip the red Turbo Charade down the road. The red Golf will either be sold as a rolling chassis or parked and be built up as a RHD 1.8T swap in the future. All the other cars will be kept and slowly improved :)

May have a Nardi steering wheel from a Jaguar on the way, and my BBS Mahle RAs are soon here. Oil change (incl pan) for the Mk2 and I'll have some cruising time this summer.

I see you're based in Chile; what kind of year Charade are you looking at? I know the G10s (like my white car) are popular down there. I haven't driven mine a lot so I can't really speak of durability. But it seems like they're reliable based on what I've heard; they're getting older now so you have the regular wear and tear of age.. The G100s are dead on reliable, I've had a couple of alternators go bad on em but that's due to road salt I think and a CV booth, but that car was low as balls so I can accept that.. ;) Never had an engine failure, I've had gear box troubles with my GTti but god knows what's been going on with that car. Buy a quality, unmodified NA car and you will not have big service bills.. :)

I'm loving the old KE70. My friend has had one for 12+ years. He has just finished installing a blacktop 4A-GE from an AE111 Levin, has extractors and a rally style open trumpet filter over 50mm long trumpets. Last weekend he put in an AE86 disc rear end with a TRD LSD and whiteline swaybar. He went from a 3.9 diff to a 4.3. It's much more responsive now and leaves 2 black lines on the track instead of one. It's quite exciting to drive even with the old Corona 3.9 open diff.

Sounds good man, I still kick myself to this day for not keeping the KE70s in better condition and 4A-GE/2JZ swapping one..! I'll most likely bring in a TE72 from Cali when the time comes.. I miss having an old Toyota :(

Yeah I was looking at g100s since I really like the looks of those hatchs
I heard they only had simple problems too, nothing like engine failures so I guess theyre not that bad
Was also looking at mk2 and mk3 golfs which are like my fav. cars :D
I just have to stop spending my money on other stuff :P

Back