eiriksmil's cars

• Thread starter eiriksmil
  • 378 comments
I guess you could say so.. Doing a bachelor in business economics at the university. Money is rather tight at times, but I work a fair bit when I'm not at school.. I've also done my fair share of 70 hr working weeks in the past years, giving me the chance to put some green aside.. :)

Being a student and a worker, class representative, (newly elected) chairman of the board at my apartment complex and financial director at the school bar/pub sadly makes leftover hours few.. But when I have the chance, messing around with cars is good fun.. :)

Thanks man, appreciate it.. Got a rear one on and snapped a picture with a potato.
20140507_215444.jpg

Last night I dropped half of the rear beam to remove the helpers on the coils, only to realize the lower strut mount was a tad too thick for the collars to slide over it, was gonna do a lazy approach but I failed.. I also realized the exhaust was making me unable to get the bolt for the lower mount into the beam again. Of course the top nut wouldn't budge with the car in the air and no pressure on the shocks. I then remembered my buddy had taken his compressor home and the other one we have is broken..

In other words I have no pictures from last night.. Got the compressor to the work shop, the coilover out and the helper spring off, got one side done and the rear is sitting lower than in the potato picture above, hopefully without rubbing.

I have a potato picture of a Funcargo that was shat down by angry birds and loaded full of trash, at a recycling depot.
20140509_180145.jpg

I'll admit, I always thought Yaris Versos/Fun Cargos were quite ugly, but you've made yours look quite tough! Props for using an actual Fun Cargo badge too, you should try and find a front grill or badge to complete the look. I like how you've kept it for that long and done so many miles in it too, despite owning going through many cars!

Thanks man, appreciate it for sure.. :) Didn't buy that car for the looks lol. But some simple mods did help.. I'm gonna look for a front Funcargo grill in Cyprus this summer - thanks for reminding me.. :D I gave it a really hard flogging on some back roads earlier today, it still amuses me how much more decent it drives with coils.

Today I made some pin bolts
20140520_215609.jpg

To fit these.. :)
20140520_225227.jpg

Plated, insured and road legal for the first time in many years.. It's golden.. Now to just change one wheel stud in the rear and throw the rear coilovers on. SOON.

Got the coilovers and wheels on the GTti and washed it
20140524_213202.jpg

Polished up the exhaust tip
20140524_213703.jpg

The yard.. Today was a good day
20140524_213142.jpg

Also got the parcel shelf on, changed the front windows to tinted ones (same tint as the rears), threw some new door cards on.. Need to adjust the front camber and lower it a tad more up front.. Some painting.. Find a heckblende. And it's done for now.

Haha yeah, if you're referring to the TCL thread I figured I'd take a shot at it since this one is going pretty well.. I got too many cars to update one thread for each lol.

I prefer doing my own work.. But doing that rev counter was nothing I'd take a shot at myself.. I dropped the GTti off this morning, the weather was nice so I snapped one
14326366622_a49bed6167_b.jpg

Do not compute...

I see the height of your cars, than I look at the roads on the pics... :cheers::cheers:

It makes me smile. Is it a pain in the back (literally)? :lol:

I couldn't but :bowdown:

Do not compute...

I see the height of your cars, than I look at the roads on the pics... :cheers::cheers:

It makes me smile. Is it a pain in the back (literally)? :lol:

I couldn't but :bowdown:

I appreciate it man.. :) It's a pain in the ass, back and sometimes neck, literally. The gravel road up to the garage is the worst one though, I try avoid bad roads as much as I can usually. Good thing is, if I make it somewhat up that gravel road without too much scraping or rubbing, I know it can be driven on the road without a problem :)

Yesterday I freed up some time and cleaned out the garage somewhat
14376918184_b29ce6a129_b.jpg

Went to work on the Mk2.. Oil, filter and oil pan change.. :) Pan from a Mk3 1.8, gasket from a 1.6. Gotta love 8v VWs..

With the oil leak and recent valve tick sorted I adjusted the camber, raised the rear, went to wash.. Drove my car for the first time in nearly two years :)
[URL='https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3924/14353917156_6114c3be02_b.jpg']

Fender liners were sagging causing rubbing. Threw them out and went home to sleep for a few hours and back again. GTti, Mk2, Funcargo all the way I like it :)

Drove the Mk2 to the big Norwegian Volkswagen/Audi show.. Entered a little late with a car that ran rough, stalled, stuttered and had to be pushed into place. Gotta love Mk2 autos.. :) Don't mind the driver's side head light angle, had to throw on a spare from my old Nissan HB at 3am last night as the sealed beam took a crap and I hate bulbs out

Got home with no trouble, it's only a warm start issue.. I need to get some thinner spacers for the rears so I can lower it more, change my axles or at least the outer CV joints.. Sounds like it's about time.. All in all I really enjoyed driving my car again.. :)
[/URL]

Cleaned the daily today.. Started atleast.. Claying takes time.. But a nice clay bared surface makes the rest feel like sand paper. Gonna have to clay some more and finish of with a wax that smells awesome..

A picture by a potato
20140617_015007.jpg

I'm getting ideas for this car.. Full WALD add on kit and new wheels.. Someone talk me out of it :)

Thanks man, I try to caption the moments to share em.. There's a lot of sweat and work into getting these cars exactly the way I want em.. Sometimes plans change, things don't work out the way you thought taking two steps forward with a real step back. Thoughts and actions evolve and you become wiser, as everything else in life.. We don't control it all and we don't know what gets in our way or become part of us before we realize it, usually way later. But things grow and evolve. These moments, it's all worth it and every time I take a picture, I become slightly more satisfied the way things are going.

Plus I hate threads with no pictures in em.. :D

I'm in Cyprus at the mo', the holiday beater passed state inspection the other day so I threw on some Mirage bumper turns I had and wired them up to have US style lightning in the side and front markers.. 5w bulbs for driving lights and still 21w for turns. A potato picture
20140630_212447.jpg

After this I went yarding to find a rev counter which is now in place; I also bought new plates and relocated the rear to the bumper. There will be more pics up and I have some tricks up my sleeve.. Oh, and I did something stupid but entertaining today.. Stay tuned ;)

Today I drove the 59.. :)
Known for some time you liked Beetles (and indeed owned one, since earlier in this thread) but how do you rate them to drive?

I've only had my hands on three before and all were quite different - my own '74 Super, a late '77 and a '63 converted to electric power. My car felt a lot peppier than the '77 but not quite as "tight" since the '77 was about as mint as they come... and it's hard to judge the car given the unusual powerplant. Though I did like the handling of the '63 as it'd been lowered.

Never had plans for a modified Bug yourself?

Known for some time you liked Beetles (and indeed owned one, since earlier in this thread) but how do you rate them to drive?

Never had plans for a modified Bug yourself?

Bugs are good fun.. As simple as they come. Driving my car is not anything to write home about; the tires are from 76 or so and the car is all original.. 40k miles, but you feel the age. I got a tip of replacing some bushings in the rear suspension to tighten it up, I'll also be on the hunt for new tires. Then it's probably a better experience :) The feel of driving it though, everything being mechanical and bare-bone (the earlier cars didn't even have synchronized first gear) is lovely. Although the steering has its play and the gearshift isn't exactly butter smooth, every operation is just the way it's meant to be. My car is obviously not a daily, it's an occasional Sunday driver and you can't be short on time driving it.

My car was owned by my grandpa as the second owner who kept it all original and didn't want it to fall into the wrong hands. Including some young kid wanting to modify it lol (ironic right, haha). If it was a resto or in worse shape, it would already lay low with polished Fuchs or BRMs. My dream Beetle to restore and own for a while would be a Cal-look oval, blue with white sides, narrowed front beam and low low, polished Fuchs and a worked 1600 :)

Nice 👍 Yeah, they do feel very mechanical to drive. I've liked the gearshift in each one I've driven, once you get used to it there's a real satisfying clank with each gear.

Once I have the money again (few more important things to sort out first) I'd love another 70s Beetle. Fan of the "outlaw" style going around at the mo, so it'd probably be a take on that - not pristine, but low on a set of wider steelies, some choice engine mods, simple interior, hood and engine cover straps etc.

I hear ya.. They are simple fun. I don't love the plastic dashes, but what can you do.. :)

I mentioned the other day I did something stupid.. Saw a Mk2 GTi 16v. Turned out it was for sale and you can guess the rest. I went full retard lol..
14383831449_21eff77004_b.jpg

14590529963_ffde4c7ba9_b.jpg

Mileage a little on the high side (190k miles), but it seems pretty solid. Alpine White, big bumpers, AC. Future mods will consist of black Porsche handles, coils and other wheels, sway bars.. Going to be a boulevard cruiser meets canyon carver. Some good driving roads in Cyprus, where the Colt is more of a nuisance than a pleasure.

The Colt is now a Mirage though, relocated plate and JDM heckblende installed.
14547489886_2d1f5bf323_b.jpg

I may lift it and put huge tires on.. One thing at the time.. :)

Last edited:
Some pics from the vacation.. Removed the steering wheel protector.. Hate those like the plague
14574538521_38b082dc4a_b.jpg

Much better
14576126484_f865a0664c_b.jpg

The powerplant
14391221460_c3403deedc_b.jpg

Washed the car
14391470107_ee63e538c4_b.jpg

And rubbed it down
14391268558_5b3ff57225_b.jpg

Laid the rear wiper down within owning the car 24 hours.. Also got a speeding ticket within 24 hour ownership :)
14398165287_43834f6e41_b.jpg

Took a drive along the coast
14572916906_f830626695_b.jpg

Around some corners
14595295662_1c357548ac_b.jpg

And through the mountains
14409373789_f74a3b12a5_b.jpg

Cyprus has great driving roads.. For the past six years I've longed for a nimble driver's car to play with and the 16v fits the bill quite well.. :)

Got some parts
14419002040_4cfca77c50_b.jpg

My buddies came down from Norway for a week so I got sidetracked.. We rallied the Colt around a lot, it has now also crossed its first river.. :D My Cyprus car collection side by side
14500748670_0027914f10_b.jpg

I may rob the white Mk3 of its coilovers, box them up and ship them down to my buddy in Cyprus to hold them for me until I get back.. In Norway again it's business as usual
14707304243_a5bd4dd1a1_b.jpg

14500749610_47214c242a_b.jpg

Started research on my white car.

OEM G11 Turbo wheels by MSW, 5Jx13 ET40.
15069310212_98b9af9fa6_b.jpg

Having some adaptors made up for neater 4x100 wheels, I have a feeling the Ronal Turbos will be too wide for this but time will tell.

Latest Posts

Back