Elon's Antics

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 1,317 comments
Literally out there fighting for Russia.

Elon Musk has acknowledged that he denied satellite internet service in order to prevent a Ukrainian drone attack on a Russian naval fleet last year, prompting an angry response from a Ukrainian official.

The Starlink satellite internet service, which is operated by Mr. Musk’s rocket company SpaceX, has been a digital lifeline in Ukraine since the early days of the war for both civilians and soldiers in areas where digital infrastructure has been wiped out.

On Thursday, CNN reported that an excerpt from Walter Isaacson’s upcoming biography, “Elon Musk” said the billionaire had ordered the deactivation of Starlink satellite service near the coast of Crimea last September to thwart the Ukrainian attack. The excerpt said that Mr. Musk had conversations with a Russian official that led him to worry that an attack on Crimea could spiral into a nuclear conflict.

Last edited:
aGE6nGw_460s.jpg

Very smart person Elon Musk when he realizes that the thing built by DARPA in the 1970s to coordinate allied military actions worldwide was planning on being used to coordinate military actions in 2023:

1694209119254.png

(but only after some Russian stooge told him)

Last edited:
Walter Isaacson, the author who wrote Steve Jobs' biography, recently published a new biography on Elon Musk. He wrote it while shadowing Elon for 2 years

A lot of excepts have been shared all over

"A majority of the people in this studio hated it," von Holzhausen said of the futuristic design, according to the book. "They were like, 'You can't be serious.' They didn't want to have anything to do with it. It was just too weird."

Some Tesla engineers even took to covertly designing another version of the electric pickup after they saw a mock-up of the futuristic truck on display at SpaceX's showroom in Los Angeles during the summer of 2019, Isaacson, who shadowed Musk for three years, wrote.

It's unclear what happened to the alternative version of the vehicle. Musk, von Holzhausen, and a spokesperson for Tesla did not respond to a request for comment ahead of publication.

So Musk recruited a rocket engineer named Jim Cantrell, and along with Adeo Ressi — the Founder Institute CEO who's Musk's former college housemate — they arranged a business meeting with a group of unnamed Russian businesspeople to negotiate buying rockets, the book says.

The journey included a stopover in Paris, Isaacson wrote, where a late night of partying left Musk "ragged" upon arriving in the Russian capital.

Then, in the back room of a Moscow restaurant, the lunchtime meeting involved "small bites of food interspersed with large shots of vodka," the biography says. The Russians also gifted the trio a bottle of vodka each with custom labels showing pictures of each recipient on Mars.

"I calculated the weight of the food and the weight of the vodka, and they were roughly equal," Musk told Isaacson.

And then, in the biographer's words, "Musk, who was holding his head up with his hand, passed out, and his head slammed into the table."

[...]

After the Moscow incident, there was said to be another unsuccessful meeting on the trip before Musk returned in early 2002. Isaacson wrote that Musk thought he had struck a deal to buy two Dnepr rockets for $18 million, but that the sellers actually wanted $18 million for each.

And when Musk pushed back, they apparently upped the price to $21 million each. Cantrell told Isaacson the Russian businesspeople then taunted the SpaceX founder, saying: "Oh, little boy, you don't have the money?"

Musk didn't immediately reply to a request for comment from Insider.

“For better and for worse, he has an epic sense of his place and mission in our world, that he’s going to get us to Mars and he’s going to get us sustainable energy,” said Isaacson. “And if you’re that way, you don’t mind having a biographer ride by your side.”

Isaacson’s strategy was to shadow his subject relentlessly. He tailed him along clangorous Tesla assembly lines as Musk micromanaged manufacturing and jetted on a moment’s notice to the hot, dusty town of Boca Chica, Texas, where Space X launched rockets and where Isaacson slept in an Airstream trailer a few hundred yards from Musk’s house.

In April 2022, on the day Twitter’s board accepted Musk’s offer to buy the company, Isaacson assumed a celebration would take place. “But oh no, it was [rush] down to Boca Chica to deal with a methane leak on a Raptor engine,” he said.

“You just always learned to have a very small overnight bag and a couple of changes of shirts,” said Isaacson.

[...]

In the final analysis, Isaacson considers Musk to be “one of the three great innovators of our time.”

“Steve Jobs brings us into the era of the digital revolution with human-friendly computers and a thousand songs in our pocket, and smartphones. Jennifer Doudna brings us into the era of life sciences by showing us how to edit our DNA. And Musk is bringing us into a future of electric vehicles and space adventures — as well as blowing a few things up, including Twitter.

“But they’re each people who, 50 years from now, you’ll look back and say they’ve touched the surface of history and you can still feel the ripples.”

I read his biography on Steve Jobs years ago. I'll probably read this too eventually and try to see if there's any sense to Elon's madness

This was always his top goal to make the twitter entirely pay to play. I'm genuinely surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

This was always his top goal to make the twitter entirely pay to play. I'm genuinely surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

He hasn't figured out how to extract money from those not paying, so he's trying to go full Unity decision in hopes he can earn money.

Yes because the governments, clandestine operations and AstroTurf campaigns that use heavy bot campaigns are worried about what amounts to a few pennies for them.

Pathetic.

Last edited:
Lmao, his idiot base & the right wing grifters will remain the only people left bc they’re already the only ones willingly & encouragingly paying $8/month to feel special.

Has he offered the Aliyev regime the southern half of Armenia as a land bridge to Azerbaijan's exclave yet?

Screenshot-20230929-134526-Samsung-Internet.jpg

No but the companies that don't want to advertise there just hate free speech. Congress should absolutely look into them with a HUAC reboot.

CEO of twitter doesn't have twitter on her home screen

language warning in quoted tweet

View attachment 1291226

I’m going to guess it’s in one of these folders?

IMG_9892.jpeg

I wouldn’t be surprised however if she doesn’t have another phone which is specific to X and it has business apps etc specific to running X and this is just her personal phone.

Last edited:
I hope that chick is paid well because it must be embarrassing to be the CEO of a company but your actual job is constantly looking like a fool when you have to go on TV to explain what the person actually running the company has done that had so little planning that you're probably first hearing about it as the interviewer asks you the question about it.

Last edited:
I hope that chick is paid well because it must be embarrassing to be the CEO of a company but your actual job is constantly looking like a fool when you have to go on TV to explain what the person actually running the company has done that had so little planning that you're probably first hearing about it as the interview asks you the question about it.
I think she'd have asked those questions going in, surely.

How much am I getting paid? How many lawyers do I have at my disposal? How big is my golden parachute when Musk eventually throws a tanty and fires me?

Any sensible person knows it's a poison chalice and that you're only there to get as much as you can while before the whole thing goes tits up. Musk is such a loose cannon that the only way you could seriously plan to be there long term is if you somehow had prior knowledge that in the near future he was about to have his fenestrates forcibly removed.

I think she'd have asked those questions going in, surely.

How much am I getting paid? How many lawyers do I have at my disposal? How big is my golden parachute when Musk eventually throws a tanty and fires me?

Any sensible person knows it's a poison chalice and that you're only there to get as much as you can while before the whole thing goes tits up. Musk is such a loose cannon that the only way you could seriously plan to be there long term is if you somehow had prior knowledge that in the near future he was about to have his fenestrates forcibly removed.
She may not be paid anything if Musk treats her like he does his other employees.

Meanwhile, today's move in the great game of "how much functionality can we strip from our product and still have people put up with it"...

Elon Musk has made good on threats to strip links in Xitter posts of anything but a domain name and image.

Gone are any context clues to suggest links are anything more than images - titles, subheads - everything but the domain name of the linked site are gone on the X mobile app for iOS and on X.com for this reporter and plenty others.

Musk confirmed the decision to change how links are displayed on his personal platform in late August after leaked internal documents suggesting the website would make the change to reduce the height of individual tweets in order to squeeze more content onscreen and, in the process, boost engagement apparently.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back