Engine Swap / Drivetrain Swap

• Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 466 comments

Should engine/drivetrain swaps be in included in GT55?

• include both engine and drivetrain swaps

Votes: 406 61.9%
  • engine swap only

Votes: 88 13.4%
  • drivetrain swap only

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • Neither, just release the game already

Votes: 52 7.9%
  • I don't want engine or drivetrain swaps at all, they do not belong in Gran Turismo series heritage a

Votes: 103 15.7%

• Total voters
Old Old article claim that you can stick a Ferrari engine into some really slow car, forgot what car Kaz has mentioned.

I would love to see both.

Personally, I'd prefer only the engine swap.
Things like FR Civic or AWD Ferrari just don't fit in my head.
Maybe it would be good to have an ability to make AWD cars in FR by totally disabling the front wheels.

Yeah basically what he said^

However if there were AWD versions of a car, or an engine to convert the car to AWD then it would/could be allowed. Otherwise no FWD to RWD, and if something is AWD the ability to disable the front.

Yes, have drivetrain/engine swaps, but make them logical. Putting a Skyline drivetrain in a Sileighty would be difficult but not impossible, putting an LS7 under the hood of a Chevy Aveo is.

engine swap but only of the same company: honda = honda, gm = gm, vw = vw ... you get the point ;)

why?? there are plenty of engine swap projects out there which feature different make of engines going into different make of cars. hell theres a whole community of folk who have put vauxhall, suzuki and honda engines into the rover mini.

iam currently helping a friend put a ca18det engine into a early golf gti.

cross make engine swaps have been part of the tuning world from about 10 minutes after the first cars rolled out.

yes there should be limitations based on the size of the engine bay compared to the size of the engine and the cost of swapping out should rise massively the more advanced then engine is and the tighter fit it would be too go in but a lot of things are achievable.

Not sure about this, part of me says great as it would really create all sorts of possibilities to create a truly unique car, whilst on the other hand it could lead to all sorts of monstrosities depending on how it would be implemented.
It would have to be realistic ( only when the transplant is technically possible IRL ) and this has to be decided by PD themselves ( making an option possible/impossible ) but I'm not sure whether it would have to be limited to the same brand ( or same parent company at least ).
I'd love the idea of a Honda V-tech powered Ginetta G4 or a Corvette V8 powered Volvo 240 Estate, etc. but a Ferrari with a Veyron V16 engine ( sacrilige...)?
Maybe there's a way around this, and if it only was an option for cars of the same brand I would be perfectly happy ( M3 or even 1-series with M5 V10-engine...hmmm) but if it is not included I wouldn't mind either as long as there are enough other tuning options.:)

Yes, have drivetrain/engine swaps, but make them logical. Putting a Skyline drivetrain in a Sileighty would be difficult but not impossible, putting an LS7 under the hood of a Chevy Aveo is.
Who says it would go under the hood? People have been putting rediculus engines in original Minis over here for ages, and it's not uncommon to put the engine where the back seats were.

Who says it would go under the hood? People have been putting rediculus engines in original Minis over here for ages, and it's not uncommon to put the engine where the back seats were.

But then you would not only need engine/drivetrain swaps but also a customizable chassis and the abilty to shorten or lengthen a chassis to occupy the body of a car according to wheelbase, etc.:)

What he said.

This should be kept to what is done in the real world. For instance, the GT-R is raced in a rear wheel drive version. This sort of thing would be a nice feature to include in a race mod system, along with chassis widening.

Yay or nay? I think it would be fun, maybe a little biting off of Forza but fun none the less
I would love it, but only if it's done right.

If I see a Veyron motor hanging out of a Fiat 500 (Since the motor is just about as big as the car) I might have to kill a kitten.

But then you would not only need engine/drivetrain swaps but also a customizable chassis and the abilty to shorten or lengthen a chassis to occupy the body of a car according to wheelbase, etc.:)
You wouldn't need to shorten or lengthen anything. If it'll physically fit in a space provided it is possible to get it mounted and workable.

My point is that they'll have to draw the line somewhere, yes. I'm just saying it doesn't have to be drawn at "can the engine fit under the bonnet".

You wouldn't need to shorten or lengthen anything. If it'll physically fit in a space provided it is possible to get it mounted and workable.

My point is that they'll have to draw the line somewhere, yes. I'm just saying it doesn't have to be drawn at "can the engine fit under the bonnet".

But it isn't just about space, it's about changing a Mini ( your example ) from a FF lay-out into a MR lay-out, so you either need to have the chassis of a MR-car or some basic PD-created MR chassis changed to fit the body of that Mini.
The driving physics would completely change and PD being PD they either go for realism or more likely not bother at all.

Yeah, some fabrication work would be required to turn a mini into an MR beast.
I remember seeing an old Ford Fiesta (Euro version) - probably around 1990 - with a Rover V8 under the bonnet, driving the rear wheels. More recently, a Peugeot 205 with a supercharged Rover V8 in the boot! Nothing's impossible if you're handy with welding, turning and other machining...

I think it could be handled easily by comparing engine "volume" (i.e. of the block plus ancillaries) to the original car's engine's volume. So every car would have a volume limit for various mounting locations and orientations (i.e. longitudinal vs. transverse, canted or otherwise) - e.g. slightly higher limit for mid or mid-rear mounted engines.
Same for drivetrain (mainly talking about 4WD conversions here) - if there isn't the room for the additional diffs and axles without modifying the chassis "rails" (obviously, modern unibody cars are totally out of the question) then it shouldn't go in. Gearboxes etc. should only be compatible with the engine orientation and intended drive wheels, such that a Supra gearbox won't cut it for a 2JZ powered MR2 (I doubt it'd fit anyway...). Then there's issues over weight distribution...

It'll take time to sort and balance such a (gameplay) system, and the cost of conversion should reflect whether the parts come from the same manufacturer, or have to be adapted to fit, or have to be fab'd from scratch (i.e. FF -> MR conversions etc.). This sort of system could give the impression of being "unlimited", within reason.

Also, for the poll, the last option was a bad idea. A simple "Neither" would have sufficed; "release the game already" is potentially provocative to the point of severely skewing the results, if we're at all interested in this being representative.

I fully support engine and drivetrain swaps because I could put a 1000 hp RB26 into a Ferrari F430.. or a 1000 hp 1JZGTE Into a Holden Monaro. Think of the possibilities this feature would unlock. Fantastic!!

Why cars from same manufacturer people? I want freedom to have any engine in lets say my Corolla. I would love to put a BMW M3 engine in a Civic, or what hot. IF you want same car company only, then just do that. But PD should make EVERYONE happy, so make any car engine swap with almost anything, as long as it fits..

Some cars would not be able to hold a V8s in small space, so PD should make some kind of engine rules, like some cars can only go as high as 4-6 cylinder space only, Some cars can fit as high as V12, or some can only go as high as V8. I do not want to see a Suzuki Cappucino with V12 in it.

Just engine swaps for me, drivetrain swaps just seem to be daft in a lot of cases and this was shown in FM3. A 4WD drivetrain in an old Dodge Charger is just not right. As for the engine swaps I think they should be limited to the same manufacturers. Such as putting a Honda S2000 engine into a Civic etc.

Some cars would not be able to hold a V8s in small space, so PD should make some kind of engine rules, like some cars can only go as high as 4-6 cylinder space only, Some cars can fit as high as V12, or some can only go as high as V8. I do not want to see a Suzuki Cappucino with V12 in it.

Depends also on engine capacity, a 3 litre Ferrari V12 from an older F1 car might actually physically fit into a Cappucino.
As for allowing different brands to exchange parts, this might create both exciting as well as horrible opportunities in equal measure, although the main stumbling block for this might be that car manufacturers will perhaps not be very keen on this idea apart even from what PD actually thinks of this.:)

I would want it to have accurate prices too I mean i made a fiesta S class on forza for 30k with an RS2000 engine and i was sorted till i could afford a ferrari.

Engine swaps, I'd go for that, as long as the engine isn't stupidly large for the car it is in.

Drivetrain swaps, I don't like the idea of messing with cars. I would say depending on where the engine is in relation to the existing drivetrain, I think it would be ok.

Example, a Front engined, front wheel drive car in order to become 4 wheel drive or Rear wheel drive, needs a driveshaft to go down the centre of the car (Well, from my very basic knowledge of cars, it does). If there isn't room for it, don't allow it.

Cars which are already 4 wheel drive should be changeable in any way. Some cars, like a Porsche 911 Turbo, should be able to be modified for Rear wheel drive. But because the engine is at the back, presumably that means it will be lighter because it doesn't need to send any of the power to the front by way of a driveshaft? And providing the weight and handling characteristics are accurately represented, so we don't get ridiculous balance issues like Forza 3, I think it is an excellent idea.

Could we even go as far as saying, cars with 4 seats which are Front engined, rear wheel drive, should be able to be modified so that they are midengined? Or is that going to far, or is it not possible?

However, it is a bit late to be talking about 'should X feature be in Gt5' because they don't have time to start developing anything new.

Some cars, like a Porsche 911 Turbo, should be able to be modified for Rear wheel drive. But because the engine is at the back, presumably that means it will be lighter because it doesn't need to send any of the power to the front by way of a driveshaft?

Could we even go as far as saying, cars with 4 seats which are Front engined, rear wheel drive, should be able to be modified so that they are midengined? Or is that going to far, or is it not possible?

It would make the car lighter if it will be accurate ( changing from 4wd to rear-wheel drive that is ) and although changing a front-engined car into a mid-engined car would not only mean having a different chassis ( as I mentioned in a previous post ) and therefore totally different physics but also the interior view has to be remodelled for accuracy ( an engine/ engine cover instead of a backseat )...highly unlikely.:)

Latest Posts

Back