Engine Swap / Drivetrain Swap

• Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 466 comments

Should engine/drivetrain swaps be in included in GT55?

• include both engine and drivetrain swaps

Votes: 406 61.9%
  • engine swap only

Votes: 88 13.4%
  • drivetrain swap only

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • Neither, just release the game already

Votes: 52 7.9%
  • I don't want engine or drivetrain swaps at all, they do not belong in Gran Turismo series heritage a

Votes: 103 15.7%

• Total voters
I voted yes to both. Technically, I don't want a chassis swap, I simply want more adjustment. I want to alter front and rear track, alter drive train layout, and more weight reduction. Also full range of adjustment for ride height.

Engine swaps should be unlimited. You can fit anything into any car as long as it's smaller than the body. Behold Merlin v12 in a chevy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwcjlsrnqWw

You simply add a component of weight to all engines so a swap deducts the weight of the outgoing engine and adds the weight of the incoming engine. The weight should be placed like ballast depending on the layout of the drive line.

That v8 beetle is genius and very subtle and the only clue something is wrong is the exhausts.

I miss my Porsche powered beetle 1200 :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding engine swaps:
Just because it's possible, doesn't mean it's halfway decent.

Regarding engine swaps:
Just because it's possible, doesn't mean it's halfway decent.

True, I have some cars that have decent engines, and non-decent engines.
Examlples:
2J engine in Matte Black Toyota 7 with 3 Gears = Decent
Bugatti engine in Isuzu 4200R = Not decent.
Or
Mazda RX-7 TC with Mazda RX-7 LM Engine = Decent.
RUF BTR with Volkswagen Beetle '49(??) Engine = Not decent at all.

I mainly use engine swaps for either:
More power or a better/more realistic sound:
Murcielago with Zonda C12S Engine, Zonda LM with C12S engine, Nomad Diablo with C12S engine, Sauber C9 with Corvette ZR1 RM engine .etc

I would like it. Won't ever happen though.

Maybe a better idea would have been rather than kill off hybrids, throw in a general horsepower limit. It's all done though, so no use arguing over it.

I don't believe the idea is totally against the Gran Turismo philosophy, as an example Polyphony modelled Philip Koenen’s custom 1970 Ford Mustang “Trans-Cammer”:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/200...mustang-is-latest-addition-to-gran-turismo-5/

Which obviously has the "Cammer" engine in it:
http://www.supermotors.net/articles/lfm-issue01-a2-1.php

Are there any other examples of Polyphony modelled Engine, Transmission or Drivetrain swaps? Do any of those Spoon, or other Tuner cars have engine swaps? I remember a Mitsubishi FTO with AWD, but maybe that was just a mistake?

I don't believe it should be limited to the Manufacturer as that is not what happens in the real world.

Polyphony could implement this 3 ways really easily in Gran Turismo:

1. Have Tuners or Garages similar to the Grand Touring Garage Dealership selling the
Mustang "Trans-Cammer" (SEMA Award 2009) '70

2. Have real engines / transmissions available for certain cars in GT Auto similar to the Wheel Selection, where I could choose a Honda K20A for various Honda Civic's, Integra's or Lotus Elise's (as these are becoming more and more common in real life).

3. Have Polyphony Engine's available for certain cars in GT Auto similar to the Racing Modifications and Aero available now.

Mitsubishi
It is strictly against the AUP (which you agreed to appon joining) to speak other languages other then english?

May want to report the post rather than let him have it let the mods do their job.

The way I see it, if the engine is compatible with the drivetrain (RWD engines in RWD cars) AND it can physically fit in the engine bay (1980's Pushrod Ford 5.0l inside a MX-5 Miata), then sure, go for it.

As for the drivetrain swap, i feel it's too touchy to implement. Besides, this could easily be implemented by taking the existing VCD upgrade and allowing the full 100%-0%-100% on either side of the drivetrain.

As for the drivetrain swap, i feel it's too touchy to implement. Besides, this could easily be implemented by taking the existing VCD upgrade and allowing the full 100%-0%-100% on either side of the drivetrain.

Forza can do it. I don't see why GT can't.

I think it could be good but should be limited to same manufacturer and realistic mods.

In the mr2 community swapping the na out for a Camry v6 is a possible option. Or even now I know of one or two with a 2gr-fe.

However its important that weight and weight distribution is limited properly. This is why a scatter gun mass engine swap system won't work. But then only offering some limited engine swaps won't be enough for some.

Forza can do it. I don't see why GT can't.
It's not simply about programming code.

It's about whether or not it makes sense. Like other have been saying, you need the free space to run a driveshaft across the body if you're trying a FF-FR conversion. Not to mention a FF car's engine bay may not have the shape, let alone the size, to mount a driveshaft engine.

There are simply too many variables in play to simplify it all into a FF-FR quick fix. Or FR-MR. Or any other exotic conversion.

The way I see it, two things could be implemented that make sense. First one, FR cars could get a 4WD "upgrade". Technically, it only involves adding either a front axle or U-joints to the car. Second one, some research is done to identify models which are sold in both a FF and 4WD configuration, like the Mitsubishi Lancer. Those FF cars would also get a 4WD "upgrade".

Latest Posts

Back