Engine Swap / Drivetrain Swap

• Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 466 comments

Should engine/drivetrain swaps be in included in GT55?

• include both engine and drivetrain swaps

Votes: 406 61.9%
  • engine swap only

Votes: 88 13.4%
  • drivetrain swap only

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • Neither, just release the game already

Votes: 52 7.9%
  • I don't want engine or drivetrain swaps at all, they do not belong in Gran Turismo series heritage a

Votes: 103 15.7%

• Total voters
After finally working out how to do it, i've made some realistic swaps.
1. RR Mini Cooper '98 with GSX/R4 engine.
2. Lamborghini Gallardo Balboni replica (MR)
3. VW SambaBus STI (Subaru Boxer engine)
4 Lotus Elise V8 RM (Hennesey Venom esque)

At the moment I haven't shared these cars, but once I think their ready I'll put them up.

Did you remember to change all of the drivetrain parts to that of the Evo VI?[/possiblynotrelevantGT3-eraknowledge]
Wait what?

I'm not aware of how to change over all the parts. Basically what it did is that it converted it to RWD instead. And it still says FF in the garage. If you buy a LSD for it, you can only adjust the front (per it's original state) and it converts the car back to FF. (I think) Still trying to figure out if it's just a problem with the EVO drivetrain or maybe I need to use a AWD drivetrain from a different car.

So it is the same as GT3, or at least sounds the same. To change the drivetrain in GT3, you needed to change the drivetrain to that of the car you wanted it to replicate; and you needed to change the stock LSD to that of a car that had the same drivetrain as one you were trying to replicate. Otherwise it wouldn't work when you actually went to drive it, and you wouldn't be able to tune it either. For example, loading up GT3garage I see a RUF CTR that I converted to RR by using the RGT drivetrain and the RGT LSD.

So in this instance, you would use the Evo VI drivetrain to get it AWD in menus and such, and you would have to use an LSD from an AWD car (be it the stock AYC one from the Evo or some other part. Doesn't matter if it's stock or not but it needs to be from an AWD car) to get the game to recognize it as AWD for the purposes of tuning and driving it (you might also want to equip a VCD just to be safe). Now, that is all a guess, but... it seems likely that if even the power multiplier is the same in GT5 that that method for drivetrain conversions would be the same.

Last edited:
They're there.

Toronado's got a good point; it's surprising how much MK's program, from over a decade ago, has in common with the situation now. There are very few new variables to car information.

I wonder how many people are doing engine/drivetrain swaps and actually changing the weight/balance of the car...

They're there.

Toronado's got a good point; it's surprising how much MK's program, from over a decade ago, has in common with the situation now. There are very few new variables to car information.

I wonder how many people are doing engine/drivetrain swaps and actually changing the weight/balance of the car...

Ok, I donÂ’t want any trouble, but the OP of this tread hasnÂ’t posted on gtpanet since Oct 29, 2011.

This has turned into a hybrid thread.

DonÂ’t you, as a Moderator, think it needs to be moved to the appropriate section of the website?

Ok, I donÂ’t want any trouble, but the OP of this tread hasnÂ’t posted on gtpanet since Oct 29, 2011.

DonÂ’t you, as a Moderator, think it needs to be moved to the appropriate section of the website?

You really should get off your high horse, or else your stay here will probably be much shorter than you think it will be.

I put the '05 Subaru STi on a '03 Cusco Advan GT300 chassis tonight and it dropped the weight to 1100kg and added downforce to the car. Until I can find a way to eliminate the downforce, I just added 200kg of ballast to bring it back up to near street weight. Balance is still 53/47.

My V8 Miata's are not that much different than the stock car. (as per real life swaps)

It has discussed hybrids which, in this particular subject, are very relevant to the OP's post. Perhaps I should've added to my post that the reason I question people's adding of weight is precisely tied to my desire to have a legitimate engine/drivetrain swap feature in GT5. In FM4, every swap brings with it a corresponding change in weight and weight balance. If that were ignored in GT, I'd really rather not have the feature included at all.

Otherwise; no, I see no reason for this to be moved.

You really should get off your high horse, or else your stay here will probably be much shorter than you think it will be.

Leave those decisions to us. Chrunch is not breaking any AUP points.

@SlipZtrEm

I am sure that on May 20th, 2010, when this thread started, hybrid cars were the last thing the OP had in mind. An update to GT 5 is what they were most likely talking about. Obviously the OP is not around to move the thread he started.

I only quoted you because you are a Moderator participating in this (now hybrid) discussion.

This could be a GT6 wishlist thread but it is not. It is in the GT5 forum. It could be a in the DLC wishlist for GT5, but it is not.

It is a thread that has turned into people bragging about what they have accomplished by hacking the GT5 save file.

At the very least it should be moved to hybrid section.

I truly hope Sony comes down hard on all of these cheaters. There may be no other way to deter hacking games than the threat of a lifetime ban from PSN.

Look you. I race online every night. That is what I do.

I have lots of sleeper cars that no one would expect to win. I love winning in my Mazda Axela or my Mitsubishi MIRAGE CYBORG.

I want these hybrids stopped because they are cheating, and because I donÂ’t want there to be any question whether I am cheating or notÂ…

It is not a high horse I sit upon – it is only the honest integrity that all of us should aspire to.

Last edited:

Actually if you look back a few pages I started this thread last month as 'Realistic Engine/ Drivetrain swaps'. However one of the mods merged it with an older thread as they were on about similar topics.

I'm planning to make some realistic swaps, putting the E92 M3's V8 in the E90 330i, the 135i's engine in the 120d/120i, etc. I've no interest in giving everything an X2011 engine and 110,000hp...

Ok, I don’t want any trouble, but the OP of this tread hasn’t posted on gtpanet since Oct 29, 2011.

Don’t you, as a Moderator, think it needs to be moved to the appropriate section of the website?

@SlipZtrEm

I am sure that on May 20th, 2010, when this thread started, hybrid cars were the last thing the OP had in mind. An update to GT 5 is what they were most likely talking about. Obviously the OP is not around to move the thread he started.

I only quoted you because you are a Moderator participating in this (now hybrid) discussion.

This could be a GT6 wishlist thread but it is not. It is in the GT5 forum. It could be a in the DLC wishlist for GT5, but it is not.

It is a thread that has turned into people bragging about what they have accomplished by hacking the GT5 save file.

At the very least it should be moved to hybrid section.

I truly hope Sony comes down hard on all of these cheaters. There may be no other way to deter hacking games than the threat of a lifetime ban from PSN.

Look you. I race online every night. That is what I do.

I have lots of sleeper cars that no one would expect to win. I love winning in my Mazda Axela or my Mitsubishi MIRAGE CYBORG.

I want these hybrids stopped because they are cheating, and because I don’t want there to be any question whether I am cheating or not…

It is not a high horse I sit upon – it is only the honest integrity that all of us should aspire to.
121031-broken_record.jpg

And one page of a side discussion in a 22 page thread does not a topic change make regardless.

I just made a '95 Eclipse GSX with the Evolution VI drivetrain/engine, but the AWD isn't working correctly. :(

you have to swap the custom lsd and custom torque distributor into the gs-t.

the car will still appear as fwd in the menu but will act accordingly.

i did it, tho i left the gs-t motor and swapped parts in from the vr-4 galant (the only awd dsm in the game).

My brother has an 03 350z with a 1jzgte motor in it. And I know lots of guys with motor swaps. 4g63s in a bunch of cars. Plus awd swaps on eclipses. It's not uncommon here. People put v8s into rx7s and volvos all the time. Put swaps in so I can make half the cars in the game worth driving.

there has to be some sort of limitation though, can't have a Ferrari F1 engine in Fiat 500... Here in Australia I have seen a few crazy engine swaps in real life, like a V8 Daihatsu Charade, LS1 V8 Suzuki Mighty Boy, plus countless Mazda rotary powered Datsuns, Toyotas, Silvias, heck even a 3 rotor Turbo DMC Delorean!!

They can include it, just as long as they don't mess it up like they did in Forza. Ex: putting a Golf R motor into a 1963 VW beetle, & the car looks exactly the same. I want to be able to see the new motor & on a car like the beetle, have the body altered to fit it

They can include it, just as long as they don't mess it up like they did in Forza. Ex: putting a Golf R motor into a 1963 VW beetle, & the car looks exactly the same. I want to be able to see the new motor & on a car like the beetle, have the body altered to fit it

Sorry, what was that? I couldnt hear you over this stock looking 350 chev powered beetle...

I think in reality a Forza 4 type aproach to engine swaps would be ideal for PD so they don't have to worry too much about car manufacturers complaining about engine swaps from other brands...

Voted yes on both engine and drivetrain swaps - Expanding tuning options for Gran Turismo can only be a good thing for the game as a whole.

Back