Engine Swap / Drivetrain Swap

• Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 466 comments

Should engine/drivetrain swaps be in included in GT55?

• include both engine and drivetrain swaps

Votes: 406 61.9%
  • engine swap only

Votes: 88 13.4%
  • drivetrain swap only

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • Neither, just release the game already

Votes: 52 7.9%
  • I don't want engine or drivetrain swaps at all, they do not belong in Gran Turismo series heritage a

Votes: 103 15.7%

• Total voters
The actual poll have one big flaw.

It lacks an option to vote for "I don't want engine or drivetrain swaps at all, they do not belong in Gran Turismo series heritage and game philosophy".

The given option "Neither, just release the game already" is biased towards negativism regarding actual release of the game and does not represent the oppinion of members who would not like to have such option at all.

To which I belong for many reasons that I dot have time nor patience to explain in wide now.

Brainhulk, please include an propper option in the poll in order to vote. Thank you in advance.

It lacks an option to vote for "I don't want engine or drivetrain swaps at all, they do not belong in Gran Turismo series heritage and game philosophy".

The given option "Neither, just release the game already" is biased towards negativism regarding actual release of the game and does not represent the oppinion of members who would not like to have such option at all.

To which I belong for many reasons that I dot have time nor patience to explain in wide now.

Brainhulk, please include an propper option in the poll in order to vote. Thank you in advance.

Thats your opinion, not mine, i thing GT series dont must tide to "x" feature and "z" feature, and any new feature related to the motorsport world its welcome, always that option not make more "arcade" the series.

Thats my opinion.

Sorry for my english.

It would make the car lighter if it will be accurate ( changing from 4wd to rear-wheel drive that is ) and although changing a front-engined car into a mid-engined car would not only mean having a different chassis ( as I mentioned in a previous post ) and therefore totally different physics but also the interior view has to be remodelled for accuracy ( an engine/ engine cover instead of a backseat )...highly unlikely.:)

I thought not, thanks for clearing that up :)

Make your own poll.

Polls need to be unbiased and have a decent variance and number of choices. Your options sort of cross over with eachother. Ask a moderator nicely and they may change it for you.

Added.

Thats my opinion.
And that was Amar's opinion.
Make your own poll.
No need to be aggressive towards someone elses opinion just because it doesn't agree with yours.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO IN GT5

its not nfs or forza or anything like this

i think gt is so popluar because in gt the cars and tracks are like real

and we will have more than 1000cars ,i think its enough

ps:the good thing is that iam sure that it will not be in GT5 ,thats good for me and the other players which love real SIMs and its bad for you XD

1.all manufactures build the perfect engine/drivetrain for a car ,that means that the idea to swap it is just stupid and makes the game arcade
i said it before ,the cars in GT5 are like the cars in real ,example:if a honda s2000 has a 2l engine then its stupid to put a 5l engine in it,if we would do that then gt5 would not a real GT game
then it would be a normal game like nfs forza ...

i cant explain it very well but i hope you understand me
GT The real driving simulator !!

Last edited:
i voted both.
this ws and is the most impressive feature of forza.
ohhh vw you won't release a awd scirocco. No problem ;) . or a focus rs awd.
so sweeet

But restrictions. meaning what can be done without modifing the whole car. So swapping rdetts betwenns skylines, rx7 silvias... ook
putting an r36 (vw) in a golf 4 -> NO / in a golf 5 ->hell yes
putting a big block in a skyline ->no / in capri -> why not

for the drive trains
RWD -> FWD bulloks (i hope you all agree)
AWD -> FWD bulloks (i hope you all agree)
FWD -> RWD why not if it can be done
FWD -> AWD sure!

Engine placement whould be cool to (ferrari cali, putting the engine in the trunck)
Bi moto placement if possible (à la mtm bi-moto)
Bike engines for micro cars (salvating like homer arrrrrgg)

And transmission swaps
from sequential to manuel (Not Manual the person) , like the gtr35 (à la blitz, rwd, man.)

But also with all this mods where must be limits and mods that **** up the car, like the ferrari cali engine placement would be sweet but would mess with the weight distribution making the car nasty

But the more i thik about it the more i doubt.
if it's done it need to be done realisticly (can imagine that it can be hard)

secondly: this must be managed somehow to not loose the charm of GT. I for my part thought that damage is taking away a bit of the charm of GT, because it takes away the beauty of the car. I loved to always have a perfectly sane car (just my 2 cents) Like iceman-headnut said it. it kind of doesn't feel right even if i liked this feature in forza

Last edited:
I hate the comments like its not NFS or Forza, what is wrong with it? Ricer? Ricer dont do performance oriented Engine swaps, they just add a load of crap which is Useless.

Geez, and if thats not in the Heritage of a GT Game, then there shouldnt be Modifications at all, just adjustments of stock parts.

Oh and BTW, Engine swaps, Yes, Drivetrain Swaps, NO. Its not too realistic and in Real life, its way too complicated to think of it at least.

Aaaand About Engine swaps, Limited to Physical space, not only of the crate engine, but also counting all the accesories.

ps:the good thing is that iam sure that it will not be in GT5 ,thats good for me and the other players which love real SIMs and its bad for you XD

1.all manufactures build the perfect engine/drivetrain for a car ,that means that the idea to swap it is just stupid and makes the game arcade
i said it before ,the cars in GT5 are like the cars in real ,example:if a honda s2000 has a 2l engine then its stupid to put a 5l engine in it,if we would do that then gt5 would not a real GT game

so are you saying swaps do not happen in real life? hehe

Anything that can be done to a car in real life could ( theoretically ) be replicated in a game, therefore I absolutely don't understand your argument about engine swaps making a game arcade.
It could, if implied realistically, be as much of a sim as GT currently is, as engine swaps occur in real life too because some people find the original engine isn't the best choice for them ( not only homemade conversions, but professional tuning firms do it all the time ).

This is something different to whether or not it should be desired in GT, I'm not fully convinced it should be implemented although I do find it an interesting option.
I can understand people who think it isn't suitable in the context or philosophy of the GT-series but then again it isn't set in stone what is appropriate or possible ( considering it could be done in a way which would make sense within this context ).

@amar212 @Seismica @daan

Sorry i dont want to be agressive, i fully respect other opinions, maybe i expresed in bad way and i really dont want hurt anyone.
Sorry Amar if i bother you.
I really dont think i was be agressive.

Sorry to all.

Sorry for my english.:)

C'mon on man that's a little to harsh. Im all for engine swaps as long as it's realalistic. Its Arcade to have a S13 chassis and swap A SR20DET black top from a S15? Or maybe have a 92 EG hatch and switch a K20R motor that would be sweet IMO. As long as they keep it authentic we are going to be spoiled. For drivetrain swaps 👎 Sorry i hate this option for the fact it can be abused with people turning every car awd. I mean a awd viper :scared: thats just not right at all :lol: I hate Forza3 for this reason.

KAZ is a purist I don't think he would want the cars to be molested like that. Especially if it's just going to move back the release date just for something foolish like that. But I'm sure the engine upgrades would be fine for him in the tuners garage or something.

But it isn't just about space, it's about changing a Mini ( your example ) from a FF lay-out into a MR lay-out, so you either need to have the chassis of a MR-car or some basic PD-created MR chassis changed to fit the body of that Mini.
The driving physics would completely change and PD being PD they either go for realism or more likely not bother at all.

Yeah, the only way I can see a mid engine mini in the game would be if someone actually made one and entered the SEMA competition and won the GT/PD award to be featured in the game. Just like the other cars that won with engine swaps in them.

Last edited:
I don't understand why would you do a drivetrain/engine swapping when you can just buy the car with the setup you want. There's enough selection in GT5 to meet everyone's idiosyncrasies. I do understand that it can be fun but to me this type of thing sounds more like what you would find in arcade game- NFS and MC and the of course the mother of them all- Forza :)

I would like to see engine swaps, but you shouldn't be able to make everything AWD or RWD.

Agreed G.T. Ace. engine swaps i can live with just keep them authentic. Drive train Im real shady about because i dont want people who cant drive RWD cars for example viper( all my Forza3 players know what I'm talking about) turn them into awd beacuse it's easier to drive. Im all for engine swaps though i want to swap K20R in my EG hatch :D

Personally engine and drive train swaps killed forza for me. Usually if you wanted to win you had to drive a AWD monster something. I had a 600HP AWD Integra. It was stupid, could not even turn properly. But in a straight line I'd pass low flying planes for an easy win.

I do not want GT to like that. Production and race cars please. None of this fantasy crap!

Boring out the engine would be a better idea(i.e. 2.5l-3.0l)-I know it was in GT4 but only on a few cars and i think this should be implemented in more depth for GT5 and future games.

Well i hope damage, cockpit view, night racing and more then 6 car fields are removed before release they do not belong in Gran Turismo series heritage and game philosophy.

Just becuase a feature is new doesnt make it bad and it certainly doesnt make it arcade as long as real life circumstance are kept too.

in 10 years of being a mechanic i have-

Swapped the 1.4 8v to a 1.6 16v in my own car.
Helped to swap a 1.0 a-series to a 1.6 vtec in a mini clubman.
Currently putting a ca18det nissan 1.8t into a 94 golf gti.
Put a nissan skyline engine into a nissan 200sx s13.
Helped put a 1.8vvc k-series into a MGB.
helped put a VAG 1.9tdi into a series 2 land rover.

Does this mean my life is a arcade? In all these circumstanes the car was rendered much faster then previous so is it not a valid tuning technique?

Its done in real life more so i would say then putting a turbo onto a engine which was not previously fitted with one, a feature that has been present in ever iteration of GT.

while i agree that drivetrain changes should be as a whole unrealistic (converting a 4wd into a 2wd is simple enough and thats about it) engine swaps are common and valid, not liking that they are a proven upgrade technique in real life is your own problem and doesnt mean that the idea should be excluded from GT which has featured even more dubious upgrades in its time.

Boring out the engine would be a better idea(i.e. 2.5l-3.0l)-I know it was in GT4 but only on a few cars and i think this should be implemented in more depth for GT5 and future games.

boring an engine out is often trickier and less worthile to do then a engine swap, engines only have a limited capacity for boring before the cylinder sidewalls become too thin and the strain on the conrods to great, not forgetting the issues resulting from the shape of the valvetrain and head overlay.

It can also become mighty expensive as offset cranks with new rods, pistons, rings and custom headgaskets become required.

Last edited:
Personally engine and drive train swaps killed forza for me. Usually if you wanted to win you had to drive a AWD monster something. I had a 600HP AWD Integra. It was stupid, could not even turn properly. But in a straight line I'd pass low flying planes for an easy win.

I do not want GT to like that. Production and race cars please. None of this fantasy crap!

I can understand the drivetrain swap killing the forza experience but how did the engine swap kill you? In forza3 if you do a engine swap the transmission does not switch automatically. That is the players choice to switch the transmission which is what i stated they cannot handle those super cars in the purest form. Engine swaps have no affect imo.

The trick is working out which class or grade the result of you build falls into. Forza's mistake is that making a car 4wd drops the class abit by the resultant weight gain of the transmission. The problem being though that in the real world the advantages of having 4wd outweigh the dissadvantage of the weight gain.
If Pd can implement a class system that allows 4wd to be competitive against rwd they will have cracked an old problem.
No easy task I might add.

The only problem with the drivetrain swaps in Forza 3 is that 4WD/AWD was not balanced correctly, they still handled much like rear wheel drive cars but with the extra grip on the exits and although it added a little bit of weight, it lowered the performance points of the cars (What are they called in Forza?).

And they can't patch it because that means wiping the scoreboards, which will anger thousands of players who have actually worked hard to get to the top of them.

Besides, The same balancing issues will always effect games of this nature. Some cars will always be slightly superior to the rest, and everyone will catch on and eventually everybody will be using them. See: Renault Clio Sport.

The idea of a RB26-powered C10 GT-R makes my eyes water. I'd also love to make a 4WD Civic, because while FR doesn't sound right, 4WD (at least to me) does. I'd also love:
  • A 2JZ-GTE-powered Celica
  • A VR38DETT-powered Skyline GT-R (any model will do)
  • A VR38DETT-powered 350 or 370Z.
  • A 4WD FTO that isn't an LM Race Car.
  • A C32B-powered S2000 (call it the S3200)
  • A E92 M3 engine in an E30 M3
These are just some examples. The possibilities are endless.

Last edited:
JDMKING13 ,Brainhulk,analog

i hope you know what i wanted to say now i will try it to explain it in a more detailed way (i hope i can XD)

yes you are right in real life you can find cars whith swaped engine or anything like this but this cars has nothing to do with the standard version of the car
example:Brabus,a Brabus Bullit has nothing to do with a normal C Class,the tuners need much time to do that (because they create a "new" car,at the end they had need to change everything at the car because if you put a 750ps engine in it than you have to change everything else too)and its very hard i think
what i want to say is that you can swap things but then you have to do it in a professionell way (like the Bullit example)you cant take a normal C Class in gt5 and put a 750ps engine in it than its unreal because you have to change everything like Brabus but you cant change the whole car in a game and because that the game will be unreal like forza or anything like this

I don't want engine or drivetrain swaps at all, they do not belong in Gran Turismo series heritage and game philosophy.

Back