Engine Swaps

Some cars already are given bogus weight distributions and bogus horsepower upgrades, the last thing this game needs is idiot engine swaps.

How is it "idiot" which should say stupid if your going to go down that route? Give some examples, not the talk of a child who doesn't understand cars.

Lol, PD is not even close to becoming EA Studios, look at Codemasters to resemble that kind trend if anything. This kind of nonsense engine swapping is not GT's style, I mean really, how can anybody be unhappy with the amount of car selection. I understand that it'd be cool to have your favorite car with a nice V6 or V8, but this would end up being too much research for PD to implement for all cars. I doubt it's as easy as swapping values within the physics engine as far as simulation goes.

I say, I don't disagree with comment there mate. However, having an OPTION that allows engine swaps appeals to our imagination, for it is a game after all. It won't hurt and certainly would add an extra fun factor. Of course, there needs to be reasonable criteria in the races.

How is it "idiot" which should say stupid if your going to go down that route? Give some examples, not the talk of a child who doesn't understand cars.

video

If you add engine swaps in game you run the risk of making some bad cars becoming the best cars in the game.

"The 240Z launched Datsun's entry into the US GT Sports Car market. Road and Track said 'it was the most exciting GT in a decade.' Originally sold for $3,596 in 1971, the car was accompanied by a seven month waiting list. The engine is an inline 6 which develops 150 horsepower and has a displacement size of 2393cc. There are overhead cams with twin carburetors, near neutral handling from the 50/50 weight distribution, and four-wheel independent suspension."http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z7356/Datsun-240Z.aspx

GT5 gives the 240Z a nominal weight distribution of 60/40. This is based on it's drive train and other factors I have not identified yet.

Cars can be weight reduced and it seems that it is basically a nominal percent of the cars original weight that can be reduced. It seems irrelevant that a car may be produced near it's minimum possible weight and not come with much surplus equipment to remove like a Caterham.

Horsepower upgrades are done similar to weight reduction. Some fully tuned engines do not make anywhere near the amount of horsepower that the real engine could easily make with some simple modifications. This is because the standard engine makes a low amount of horsepower and the mods in GT5 only add a percentage to that (280Z). Meanwhile other engines which are highly tuned to begin with get a massive increase to torque and horsepower with tuning.

It's nonsense like this that has been around since GT1 that makes me just hate the idea of Polyphony adding engine swaps to the game.

Dude. Relax. It's a game. More variety adds more fun. Of course, it shouldn't be a crazy free for all. It should be feasible.

As long as the game has a decent amount of enjoyable offline races and decent options for online lobbies I don't care what is included in the game or what other players do. (as long as there's no glitching/cheating to win online races or leader boards.)

As long as the game has a decent amount of enjoyable offline races and decent options for onlin:tup:e lobbies I don't care what is included in the game or what other players do. (as long as there's no glitching/cheating to win online races or leader boards.)

Took the words right out of my mouth.

THIS is silly,,,
5794520001_large.jpg

6.4L supercharger Hemi in a Mini

That is not silly. That is freaking awesome!

This is silly:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

18 cylinder Cummins in a Mini (actually more like on a Mini LOL):

Another option in addition to engine swapping (or alternatively) would be a market or area of the parts store that sells specific engines (think Judd V8's and V10's and the BTCC NGTC Engine and possibly crate engines).

You could then easily limit modifications by checking limiting boxes that restrict choices to cars using that specific engine.

Was thinking the same thing, specific crate engines categorized by brand being made available for cars from the same brand, although obviously not all engines being suitable for all cars from that brand.
They could even be sold in the dealerships or be an option in the Tuning Shop or GT-Auto.
Personally I would love cross brand swaps but due to licensing (and other complications) I doubt that'll ever happen.
If Eric Clapton can order a custom build V12-engined 458 Italia from Ferrari in real life, why shouldn't we be able to do so in a videogame?

Yes please!
Along with Transmission swaps..but that's another topic.

You should really put a Poll on this thread, that way the Statistics will show what everyone wants, instead of reading through all these posts.

With realistic engine change we will get a better experience , i dont know why some people want x2010 engine in a normal its ridiculous .

real engine change like 240 sx powered by rb26 or 2jz

nissan bluebird powered rb20 , 240zg 280zx powered by v8 or v6

what i mean is realistic engine swap not childish swaps .

Nope. I love race car do not get me wrong and hope to see more RM cars. Mods are not required. There are many other important things to do

Being normal, I want a Alfa Romeo Brera V6 engine in a Ferrari, making it a Dino. Better yet, a V6 Enzo.

I think though, that creating a engine would be better.

Take a car, go to engine, select a engine available and select the HP.

For example, for a Ferrari you can select a V6, a V8 and a V12.

Select HP, name it and go!

Being normal, I want a Alfa Romeo Brera V6 engine in a Ferrari, making it a Dino. Better yet, a V6 Enzo.

Why would you put that lump of GM rubbish into a Ferrari? It's bad enough they put it into an Alfa.:grumpy:

maddog999
It's GM in the same way the Rover V8 is a buick engine. They got the engine, and made improvements to it, but it's still a GM high feature engine, Not the excellent all Alfa V6 it replaced.

The JTS 3.2 V6 isnot a 'lump of GM rubbish'.

Alfa Romeo only acquires the core designs and productions of GM engine.
The actual engine is made at their factory using the base designs but then they are modified for their performance, fuel economy and sound characteristics.
The end result of the engine makes it have really no characteristics that are shared with the GM-Holden V6 Engine.

Last edited:
noisiaturismo

Thats a pretty good idea, we ARE lacking the dino after all.

HuskyGT
Bro, talk about mad scientist :D

The subaru engines on a Lancer sounds crazy, as well as the Mitsubishi engines in Subarus!

Skyline GTR engine on a MK4 supra sounds wierd, but interesting. Almost the same type of engine.

The AE86 with an S2000 engine is probably your best idea so far.

The 5.4 SC V8 on the Mustang would be killer. Although we already have a similar car with the Cobra R, if you drop in a super charger.

As for the SW20 MR2 with the 2JZ, sounds interesting. I´m just thinking how could you adjust a long L6 in that small compartment. I think I've already seen MR2 with engine swaps, but with the more compact, 2GR-FE. It's a very popular mod. The Tacoma with a 2JZ would be killer as well.

👍

I'm glad that you love the ideas! :D

I have always thought about the Subie engine in the Evo's engine bay for years, espically since the two cars engines are in depth with all of the aftermarket needs, but thy have their own pros and cons (Evo's 4g63 is cheaper and stronger with some of its stock parts in higher hp numbers and the Subie's boxer 4 has a impressive acceleration with its torque, quite reliable and smaller than the 4g63.) but it would be a great project to see how both engines could do in the different chassis and compare them with some tests.

The AWD Supra was thought of years ago and there are a few examples out there with the drivetrain swap and the famous tuner Top Sceret has a RB26 powered Supra. So to combine the two concepts as one, you get a whole new creature and a rare species of tuning/engineering never seen.

And for the others, the same things done to them will create like a GT powered S197 Mustang GT 5.0 since the Cobra R is a rare form of the Horse, (200 made) if one can afford it putting a GT engine would be a force to deal with :mischievous:.

MR2 and the X-Runner will be a unique form of the world of aftermarket Toyotas, espically with the 2JZ, but maybe a customed chassis for the MR2 and the Tacoma (probably) so the engine can fit with the twin turbo setup with no problems and a 6spd manual transmission that's compatable to the car and/or for the Tacoma, its 6spd manual matted to the engine.

So many possiblities can be thought of or even be combined in some way! :)👍

The JTS 3.2 V6 isnot a 'lump of GM rubbish'.

Alfa Romeo only acquires the core designs and productions of GM engine.
The actual engine is made at their factory using the base designs but then they are modified for their performance, fuel economy and sound characteristics.
The end result of the engine makes it have really no characteristics that are shared with the GM-Holden V6 Engine.

But it's not as good as the Busso V6. Seemingly worse MPG (though no direct comparisons in same car) and it's not as pretty or as good sounding. Presumably it's cost reasons why the Busso V6 was retired, which is a shame as a brera with that noise would be impressive.

I like to keep things simple, would a Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major 28-cylinder radial in a Subaru 360 (making it a Subaru 4360) be too much to ask for? Nearly 1hp per cu. in. (all 4360) with a pair of turbochargers and it would weigh less than a minivan.

I like to keep things simple, would a Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major 28-cylinder radial in a Subaru 360 (making it a Subaru 4360) be too much to ask for? Nearly 1hp per cu. in. (all 4360) with a pair of turbochargers and it would weigh less than a minivan.

More like a Subaru 71 448! :dopey:
Stick a prop on 'er, and it'd probably go better...

I have no experience with Clevelands, only Windsors so in reality it may be stronger, but there is less to shave off as far as bore and stroking it so it can't go all the way to a 454 like a Windsor, thanks to the lower deck height. The best it can do is a 408 as far as I know. Both are great engines but like I said before, stock, the Cleveland wins. Built, Windsor wins.

And it being GT5, the Cleveland isn't in it anyway, the Windsor it, it even says in the description.

I have experience with both 351W and 351C IMO the Cleveland is stronger and the Windsor is tougher. Both are great engines and both are small block. The 352 is big block.

There is also a big difference between the 2 and 4 barrel models, the latter having more compression and stronger than the former even after adding the 4bbl carb to it.

:lol: Good point. I liked the way the 4 looked next to the 360 though.

Yeah, it looks good, and it's the kind of thing that should happen just because of that fact. I was impressed with the obscure (to me) knowledge, but I thought I'd highlight just how mental that motor would be in that car. :)

I have experience with both 351W and 351C IMO the Cleveland is stronger and the Windsor is tougher. Both are great engines and both are small block. The 352 is big block.

There is also a big difference between the 2 and 4 barrel models, the latter having more compression and stronger than the former even after adding the 4bbl carb to it.

Heh, the oil industry is really pervasive, eh? ("Billion barrels")

I'd not thought about these more "subtle" swaps, and it gets you thinking about some of the stuff that's possible, that might not have occurred to you before. A bit like putting wheels from the same manufacturer but a different model in GT4, e.g. the RS4 wheels on the S4, or the Type 72 wheels on a British Racing Green Elise, just because they popped up in the specials.

If GT really is about ownership, and personalisation, then these "in-house" swaps would be a great addition at least as a start. Especially if you otherwise wouldn't know about the possibilities for a certain model etc.

Problem with the Cleveland is that there is already a lot done to it from the factory, which somewhat limits what it can do. Yes there can be a lot done to it but less than a Windsor. The Windsor is actually closer to a 352 if I remember correctly.

As far as I know, early Windsors had no difference despite being labeled either 2V or 4V, or at least from what I have read. I have a 2 4 barrel models (1st had 2 Holley 4160 4 barrels, this one was pushed to the limits of a Windsor except we snapped the cranks and then scrapped it (still have the block, when it blew up somehow it didn't crack!). I don't know much about this one, it happened when I was little. Second has 1 carb, RV cam, 302 heads off a Ranchero for better airflow 351s are ****, 69 intake, filters, ported etc.), and both have been modified from stock, with the 1st being heavily modified. The second one (I believe it's a High Output SVO block, the first might be but the casting is 351 WCP1. One of them is but the older of the 20 can go 60 over and the one in it can only go 30. One of them is from 1975 which I believe the one in it now is. The older one might be the SVO block that casting says it's not...) is mostly stock but still has quite a bit of aftermarket. I think the only thing left stock on it is the exhaust manifolds. Hell, it don't even have an alternator, we rigged up everything the alternator powered to a second battery (which is also a plow battery) so we could save engine power lol. And let me tell you for an old truck it can haul ***.

The difference between 2V and 4V is really maybe a 5-10 hp increase despite the upped compression. Even adding a 4bbl carb to it will only get you about the same. But that's 20 horsepower right there...Add in intake, a good set of heads, decent filters and a nice cam and your looking at about 350-400 horsepower. If you are looking for more, punch it out to whatever you want and get some good exhaust/headers and port the **** out of it, and some other things needed to increase power. It is not unheard of to managed to get 700 horsepower out of a small block, of either engine. And that's not supercharged. Super/turbo it and your looking at a blown up engine lol. An SVO block will handle 1300+ hp AND THATS NOT EVEN A BIG V8 lol. Get a 460 SVO and you can take that thing to an 806!!!! Unless compression is in the 10-11 range, your not going to make much more power. Compression was lowered in 1975 when the deck height was raised to meet emissions standards. Blocks were also noticeably thinner so punching out 60 over was really pushing it. Getting 400 horse out of a Windsor is incredibly easy, and getting 500-600 is still easy for a budget engine. Either way, both are great engines and I respect them both.

It's been a long time since I have looked up the specs on the old Windsors. I have had a few of them and has always been my favorite Ford engine. The strongest one I have had I bought from a junk yard which came out of a 69 Torino GT if memory serves it had 25-30 hp more than the 2 barrel versions of the time but I could be wrong.

Both of the 351s are definitely small blocks though. I have swapped a Windsor in the place of a 289 and a 302 in place of a Cleveland everything fits fine, 352 will not fit without making some changes.

As for engine swaps in the game It would be cool to be able to do realistic engine swaps but would be a lot to do from a coding standpoint to get it right. Forza gives engine swaps but they are hit and miss and are based more on company than car. Makes no sense to me in FM4 as in FM2 they were more on target.

For example in FM 4 you can put a Vette engine in a camaro but not in a firebird. You can put a new Mustang motor in an old Mustang but not and old Shelby Mustang or a Cougar. I guess they either do not realize these engines are easy to swap out and bolt right up or they don't care either way I think it is better not to have it at all than to do it wrong.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back